991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RECALL on 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015 | 12:18 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

You were fortunate enough to source an RS. Sounds like you decided to flip the RS at a substantial premium. If I'm correct you are no better than the dealers. If I'm wrong and you resold at MSRP, my apologies. It's all just a vicious cycle with this RS, so happy with the GT3.
I'm guessing you sell your stock when it is on the low side?
Old 12-13-2015 | 12:19 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks. With regard to plug replacement on the GT3, the info on the new sticker is the same as the old: 12000 miles or 2 years. I guess I'm safe for another 6 months and all of the excitement is about nothing...
Yup.

Which is why I am a bit puzzled at all the angst and hoopla in this thread.

The only real significant change, from what I can tell, is the change in service intervals for oil changes. Which, surprisingly, no one is talking about. Maybe that's cuz we're all uber-**** about oil changes.
Old 12-13-2015 | 12:23 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Yup.

The only real significant change, from what I can tell, is the change in service intervals for oil changes. Which, surprisingly, no one is talking about. Maybe that's cuz we're all uber-**** about oil changes.
I just noticed that, 6K miles maximum instead of 12K; now the same as the track warranty requirement. That won't be a problem....
Old 12-13-2015 | 12:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Is this only for MY2015/16 cars?

Im confused. Ive seen two sets of plugs from 2014 cars and they are totally clean (not dark like the latest pictures from the 2016MY cars).

Clearly a batch of bad plugs/coils/leads.

So why the new plug replacement regime and does that only apply to cars that have the plug/coil-pack recall WF72?

Is WF38 global across cars r only for the 2015/16 cars?

If so you would need to ask the question surely - whats different abut F and/or G series engines?

We know G series has different oil filter and neck and is more similar to MA176 RS engine in that regard but what else would cause the need fr annual plug replacements. Seems a bit ridiculous no?
Old 12-13-2015 | 12:40 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Yup.

ipse

thanks for sharing the good news on this plug timeline

the oil cycle makes better sense and most all here are probably compliant

with this 6k cycle already
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:48 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I'm guessing you sell your stock when it is on the low side?
No
My comments are addressed to the constant bitching on this forum about dealers charging premiums on the RS. When a forum member flips an RS within weeks of taking delivery it's seems ok ? Can't have it both ways.
Old 12-13-2015 | 02:19 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
Is this only for MY2015/16 cars?

Im confused. Ive seen two sets of plugs from 2014 cars and they are totally clean (not dark like the latest pictures from the 2016MY cars).

Clearly a batch of bad plugs/coils/leads.

So why the new plug replacement regime and does that only apply to cars that have the plug/coil-pack recall WF72?

Is WF38 global across cars r only for the 2015/16 cars?

If so you would need to ask the question surely - whats different abut F and/or G series engines?

We know G series has different oil filter and neck and is more similar to MA176 RS engine in that regard but what else would cause the need fr annual plug replacements. Seems a bit ridiculous no?
Macca, given the latest info from ipse dixit, there apparently has been NO change in the plug replacement interval, at least as far as US cars are concerned. It's still 12K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. Only the oil change interval has changed; from 1 year or 12K miles to 1 year or 6K miles.
Old 12-13-2015 | 02:30 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0to60
No
My comments are addressed to the constant bitching on this forum about dealers charging premiums on the RS. When a forum member flips an RS within weeks of taking delivery it's seems ok ? Can't have it both ways.
In reality it should be. In actuality it will not happen. I'm just happy to be within a group that can consider this to be a problem.
Old 12-13-2015 | 07:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Macca, given the latest info from ipse dixit, there apparently has been NO change in the plug replacement interval, at least as far as US cars are concerned. It's still 12K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. Only the oil change interval has changed; from 1 year or 12K miles to 1 year or 6K miles.
Thanks Mike. Unfortunately I got interrupted writing that and in the meantime you posted and I saw it was just oil change interval which I like you and most others have been following to 12 month intervals already...
Old 12-13-2015 | 08:32 AM
disden
Drifting

I just purchased a 2015 GT3; had the dealer CPO it with only 750 miles prior to purchase. I called my local dealer upon arrival to discuss maintenance, recalls, ect ect. The selling dealer unfortunately didn't address the recall prior to sale. They oddly did an oil change even though the car is only 6 months old- must be required as part of CPO process? So it's off to my local dealer after a week of ownership!
Old 12-13-2015 | 10:43 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

No
Topic is RECALL on 991 GT3..,

There are 400 other threads available to moan and groan about dealers and flippers. If someone will pay markup let them!?
Old 12-13-2015 | 11:01 AM
MoeGt3
Racer

+1

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Topic is RECALL on 991 GT3..,

There are 400 other threads available to moan and groan about dealers and flippers. If someone will pay markup let them!?
Old 12-13-2015 | 12:23 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

No
I think your bashing of Allans RS ownership is a little harsh. Dealers are forced upon us as the middle man. For my lifetime on this planet, manufacturers set a price in which they believe cars will sell, and dealers will make plenty of money. For most of automobile transactions, the buyer even gets the car below MSRP. I think most would agree that an automobile is a depreciating asset, at least for 99.9999999% of the time.

To me, there is a difference of when a private enthusiast buys a car, at the suggested manufacturers sale price, and if/when the market says it is more valuable than what they paid for it (could be 20 years, could be 20 days)........decides to sell it. Just ask Mecum and the other auction companies, some win, some lose. It is the norm. And when a dealer decides they want to increase the cost of the car, well above the MSRP, then they have become greedy, IMO, as they have first dibs (through the creation of the dealer middle man)on every "desirable" car produced. I would agree with you if Porsche also sold cars directly to the customer, but they don't.
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:08 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allans
Life can be confusing: Got RS in August, became to valuable to track so I decided to let it go. Sold the Blue GT3 in July and was sorry I did. Actually liked it better than the RS. So, bought a new GT3 today. Love it but, will have to get problem corrected to enjoy it. First World problems. Best, Allan

Can not blame you for selling your RS. At these prices I would of either done the same or stored it to be sold years down the road( but the risk is these prices may not last forever). But - way to expensive of a car to track.

My interest is learning why did you like the GT3 better than the RS; if you care to elaborate??
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks Mike. Unfortunately I got interrupted writing that and in the meantime you posted and I saw it was just oil change interval which I like you and most others have been following to 12 month intervals already...
I get sidetracked all the time....

Quick Reply: RECALL on 991 GT3