Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RECALL on 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Conspiracy theory - Didn't AP mention something during the original engine recall about 'special' engine replacements? Wondering if there are material differences with the 2014 engines to make sure they didn't blow. Highly unlikely, I know. But I've heard of no 2014 cars affected, so I am just throwing that out there.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:51 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is actually no such thing, technically, as a non-recalled 2014. Alł 2014 models had their engines replaced, whether recalled from the owner, or if they were still on the factory floor. Cars at the factory were pushed through with the faulty engines installed, then pulled off the line, parked, then had engines replaced like every other 2014 car.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I know, but that's my point. None of those engines have this problem. What's different?
Old 12-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

If the car came with a part that is iffy in terms of reliability it should be Porsche's duty to recall the cars and cover the cost of replacement. I think it is heavy handed to change the service interval and ask the owners to pay for what is a suspect part.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:11 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
If the car came with a part that is iffy in terms of reliability it should be Porsche's duty to recall the cars and cover the cost of replacement. I think it is heavy handed to change the service interval and ask the owners to pay for what is a suspect part.
Unfortunately while its clearly the right thing to do, it certainly is not required of them unless a safety issue is at play as a result. This situation seems to only be a potential reliability issue with the engine which most likely will not warrant a recall. They certainly could do a campaign direct to us affected GT3 owners but history has spoken (IMS bearing issues and several others come to mind) and its unlikely they will do a widespread campaign based on limited numbers so far.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:29 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Unfortunately while its clearly the right thing to do, it certainly is not required of them unless a safety issue is at play as a result. This situation seems to only be a potential reliability issue with the engine which most likely will not warrant a recall. They certainly could do a campaign direct to us affected GT3 owners but history has spoken (IMS bearing issues and several others come to mind) and its unlikely they will do a widespread campaign based on limited numbers so far.
I will not disagree with you, however that is no way to treat clients that spend hundreds of thousands of dollars buying their cars. I would surmise the majority of GT3 owners have had more than one P car. Also if the plug blows up there is some potential for a catastrophic engine failure that may require an engine change and significant costs for Porsche.

Also it makes me think of another question: if the parts are iffy I have to assume they will be redesigned/properly manufactured. Then why continue changing plugs annually? Not even $15k new cars require that frequent plug changes.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:24 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
these plugs look great , how many miles on then ?
sorry if you mentioned previously

Thanks for sharing what you are learning to this topic!!

Your welcome. Thats why we are here. All to help and learn from each other.

My car has 12200 kms.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:27 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^
Old 12-07-2015, 04:59 AM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpacione
Has anyone with a 2014 been affected by the recall? Doesn't seem so by scanning this thread, but want to call it out specifically.
I took my car (2014) last week for the second oil/filter change ( I change oil/filter every 6 months). I specifically asked about software upgrade and other issues that might need revisions; I was told every thing was fine with NO need for any modifications; in fact I never had any issues with this car since I picked it up in 10/14.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:24 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche Middle East has confirmed that it is indeed a new factory directive in the interests of caution that spark plugs on Gt3 be replaced at one year or 20,000 kms which ever comes first. Yet they have refused to cover this additional cost. Failure to incur this cost by customer will indeed impact warranty.

So those of you in the US that think it is unfair that the customer pay for this early spark plug under new directive please take this issue up.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:44 AM
MoeGt3
Racer

Like others have mentioned, not all GT3 owners are on Rennlist and know what is going on. If some of us did not follow up on the issue with the dealer directly we would not know that their is a new factory directive. I do not think any of us have gotten a phone call yet to bring in our cars at the one year interval or 20k kms, whichever comes first..

Originally Posted by aamersa
Porsche Middle East has confirmed that it is indeed a new factory directive in the interests of caution that spark plugs on Gt3 be replaced at one year or 20,000 kms which ever comes first. Yet they have refused to cover this additional cost. Failure to incur this cost by customer will indeed impact warranty.

So those of you in the US that think it is unfair that the customer pay for this early spark plug under new directive please take this issue up.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

If some of us did not follow up on the issue with the dealer directly we would not know that their is a new factory directive. I do not think any of us have gotten a phone call yet to bring in our cars at the one year interval or 20k kms, whichever comes first..
A little enticement to get you to bring your car to the dealer instead of the Indy for those oil changes. You get the inside scoop.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:44 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing to take into consideration: Even if your car was not recalled for this.......are you not curious to know what your plugs look like? And Porsche would not be able to deny warranty unless an official letter was properly sent out. Indy could still do the plug repair. The documentation would suffice.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:28 PM
991 GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
One thing to take into consideration: Even if your car was not recalled for this.......are you not curious to know what your plugs look like? And Porsche would not be able to deny warranty unless an official letter was properly sent out. Indy could still do the plug repair. The documentation would suffice.
Agree, mine isn't being recalled, Jan 15 build, but am very curious if they will eventually recall all 3's and this is a risk they wanna take for some reason? Doesn't make sense on how random the plug/coil situation is.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:31 PM
911-UAE
2nd Gear

Hi.. I'm a new member to the forum and the GT3 would like to share my experience on same issue..

My car is 2016 7/15 production with 1k miles.. Had an issue with brake noise so took the car to the dealer here in Dubai .. N attached is the job order showing the recall message on replacing coils and spark plugs.. It's not replaced yet waiting for their call to get the car back to them..

Quick Reply: RECALL on 991 GT3