Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT:911R

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 12:23 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

Wouldn't manual alone save almost 100 .lbs over PDK? RS 21" wheels are heavy, so that helps. I'm a bit more optimistic than 100 .lbs, but not expecting anything earth shattering.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Wouldn't manual alone save almost 100 .lbs over PDK? RS 21" wheels are heavy, so that helps. I'm a bit more optimistic than 100 .lbs, but not expecting anything earth shattering.
I think it's 64lb diff for the tans missions but will depend on if they keep Electronic diff and RWS. if they did tech both could get To 150lbft with skinny wheels. RS official figures have plastic Windows, us spec cars probably same weight as GT3
Old 02-13-2016, 01:33 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I think it's 64lb diff for the tans missions but will depend on if they keep Electronic diff and RWS. if they did tech both could get To 150lbft with skinny wheels. RS official figures have plastic Windows, us spec cars probably same weight as GT3
given the spirit of the car, I'd expect they would forgo electronic diff, RWS, maybe even PTV and PASM. Losing all of those electronics would make for a more analog car and lighter one at that.

Plus I expect that the lightweight battery and ceramic brakes might be standard on the R, for further weight loss. Price isn't an issue for this car.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:09 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
given the spirit of the car, I'd expect they would forgo electronic diff, RWS, maybe even PTV and PASM. Losing all of those electronics would make for a more analog car and lighter one at that.

Plus I expect that the lightweight battery and ceramic brakes might be standard on the R, for further weight loss. Price isn't an issue for this car.

This makes lots of sense but could be much too logical
Old 02-13-2016, 03:01 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Battery, pccb, carbon panels and interior door cards and seats, smaller wheels, de contented interior, no rws.. If you can take 200 lb off of an RS, all 600 or so chosen ones will be excited. DISCLAIMER: All the above is pure speculation on my part, I blew my load on actual info already.

Last edited by CAlexio; 02-13-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:24 AM
Dante
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 37 Posts

we can look at the comparison between a 997 GT3 mk2 and a 997 gt3 RS 4.0 to get a good (and better) proxy of the weight benefits provided by light materials since the 2 cars shared the same body (just wider rear in RS).

As we know 997 4.0 and 991 RS adopted the same lightweight package (carbon front hood, fenders, rear hood and wing plus lexan windows, titanium silencer etc etc) compared to standard version.

In the 997 series this lightweight package provided 35kg weight saving (1395 vs 1360 kilos), without considering the extra weight in RS of bigger wheels (1 inch rear, half inch front), bigger tires (front and rear), bigger engine displacement with more cooling surface needed etc, rear wide body, different suspensions in the rear with additional springs as in GT2 RS, plus other stuff I don’t remember…hence I assume “coeteris paribus” the weight saving is 45kg.

Let’s take a 991 gt3 (1420 kg), with RS light materials should be 1375kg, with 6 speed MT instead of 7 speed PDK we should arrive to 1345kg, let’s take off big rear wing and front spoiler, some tires as assumed, some stuff inside with lighter door panels etc, something lighter outside (magnesium roof which in 997 was not used), a set of magnesium wheels (Manthey’s ones weight 14kg less than standard ones).

Imho not so difficult for Porsche to make a car in the (very) low 1300kg…

Last edited by Dante; 02-13-2016 at 05:32 AM. Reason: .
Old 02-13-2016, 05:48 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From a couple of comments I've picked up, as well as the generally accepted low numbers, I think that Porsche's strategy is simply to provide a bonus for original 918 purchasers who still own the car, and want one. This means that next time they launch a 'halo' model, it will be incentivised in advance, rather than being a hard sell. It also does reward the people who put the cash up. Normal business practice.

All 918 owners have been invited (to pay...) to go to Geneva for an advance viewing, so surely they must be offered a car when they get there. Would be a bit rude otherwise!

That will cause uproar, no doubt, but if they clearly say it's a specific 'reward' for 918 owners, then at least it's clear cut and done. Anyway, let's say it's much more expensive than an RS, if it wasn't for the expected 'investment premium', how many MT could they sell at that price?

This way, Porsche get the cream instead of the after sales market. It's also a halo car in its own way for the relaunch of MT in GT3.2 etc.

they are giving very little info (none official), but I expect it to outperform expectations in terms of weight, driveability, performance, Internet arguments etc
Old 02-13-2016, 06:10 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bronson7
As far as the underbody aero goes, all they have to do is go check out the underbody aero of a Fcar. Ferrari never uses a rear wing on their production cars and get most of their down force from underneath.
According to weissach you can't have extreme underbody aero on a rear engined boxer engined car . The engine is too lowland something about how flat the floor is [sorry I can't remember exactly] etc , that's why it's never really been available even on rs models
Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
According to weissach you can't have extreme underbody aero on a rear engined boxer engined car . The engine is too lowland something about how flat the floor is [sorry I can't remember exactly] etc , that's why it's never really been available even on rs models
I guess it makes some sense. I've never really looked underneath the body of a Ferrari to see what's so magical under there, but it surely does work.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:48 AM
russdc
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 56 Posts

I thought I had one on order until my SA called me yesterday and said that they are not getting any. Only the largest dealerships might get one. Oh well.... It was a long shot anyway. Back to my GT4
Old 02-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Yes, an effective rear diffuser needs to start in front of the rear wheels and accelerate the air gathered from under the floor of the car to induce a low pressure area, which is what creates downforce. The flat six in the rear of the car occupies the same area where you need to place the upward-sweeping, flat, fenced "roof" of the diffuser that is channeling the air from the flat floor in front of it. There is just too much hardware in the rear of the 911 to allow the long, gentle upsweep the floor needs to be effective.

The role of the diffuser on a racing car is to speed the airflow up underneath the car, reducing its pressure, creating a greater difference in pressure between the upper and lower surfaces of the car. This means more downforce and aerodyamic grip, allowing the car to corner faster.... The diffuser increases in volume along its length, creating a void that has to be filled by the air passing under the body. This venturi effect means that the flow is accelerated through the throat of the diffuser, creating the desired low pressure, then gradually returned to the same velocity at which it joined the wake....The angle or slope of the diffuser is also important, the diffuser must have a gradual change of angle to prevent flow separation from its roof and sides. (McBeath, 1998, Competition Car Downforce)
A mid-engine arrangement allows far more flexibility for designing an effective diffuser into the underbody of the car.

TT
Old 02-13-2016, 01:04 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

I agree on the weight loss skepticism. The RS used lots of exotic materials yet it is only about 10 kilos lighter than the GT3. Yes the R will be manual, but I just don't see a way to significant weight reduction without a carbon tub, (like mclaren), so I don't believe the R will be that much lighter than an RS with a manual transmission.
Once I put my fat *** in either car, weight reduction becomes a moot point.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:03 PM
Awdnut
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 26 Posts

If they loose all the electronics, Porsche is going to get sued by Paul Walker's daughter
Old 02-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^
Old 02-13-2016, 07:45 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Good news: after five years Porsche finally figured out how to build the 991 we wanted all along.

Bad news: they don't really want to sell many of them from the sounds of it.

Brilliant strategy.
exactly the problem, why is it that they dont understand that we are the people that build the rep that causes ***** head people to buy fat cars, and instead of rewarding us with cars we want they trickle them out like constipated stools and we know have to demean ourselves and beg for allocations

Quick Reply: OT:911R