Sponsored by:

OT:911R

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016 | 06:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Best bit of news on this entire thread... And most relevant.
I wonder what they would need to do to the 3.8L NA X51 motor to get another 20 hp? Seems sorta maxed out without adding revs (ala GT3). Maybe they can further tweek breathing alone for this increase?

I heard previously that the 991.2 3.0TT Powerkit would also produce 450 hp (and much more torque than the NA motor). Wonder how all of this will stack up in the model hierarchy?
Old 02-23-2016 | 07:13 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by Chris3963
My cleaning lady told me on the weekend that it had been confirmed that the next GTS due in October will be NA with 450 hp. If true, they won't be able to make enough of them.
Extremely similar to what my cleaning lady's drunken husband told me, only difference was time frame . Interesting .
Old 02-23-2016 | 09:31 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

The car is underwhelming/disappointing.

It is some what quite funny that after months of all this speculation this is it. It is like taking a cold shower if you know what I mean.
Old 02-23-2016 | 09:55 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
My cleaning lady told me on the weekend that it had been confirmed that the next GTS due in October will be NA with 450 hp. If true, they won't be able to make enough of them.
good news if true, but I don't believe it.

Porsche has made such a push to forced induction that I don't see them providing a NA engine for regular models like GTS boxster, cayman, 911, etc.
Plus it screws up the whole hierarchy if the GTS makes less torque than the base or S models.

The only models with a hope of staying NA are the true GT cars, GT3, RS, GT4, and special limited models like the R.
Old 02-23-2016 | 10:08 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drifting
good news if true, but I don't believe it.

Porsche has made such a push to forced induction that I don't see them providing a NA engine for regular models like GTS boxster, cayman, 911, etc.
Plus it screws up the whole hierarchy if the GTS makes less torque than the base or S models.

The only models with a hope of staying NA are the true GT cars, GT3, RS, GT4, and special limited models like the R.
This is very logical to me. No GTS among the other models have stayed NA. They've followed suit with the rest. Just got a Macan GTS brochure yesterday, guess what, same old turbo.

I think the GTS may be further out than Oct.

Although, they have been pushing the variants out faster due to below average 991.2 interest. We already have a 4S and Targa!
Old 02-24-2016 | 12:22 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

So.. Maybe we didn't have a true Level 1 cleaning lady here
Old 02-24-2016 | 12:43 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So.. Maybe we didn't have a true Level 1 cleaning lady here
LOL, Don't think so.

You know, other than the GT cars, I think the one other Porsche model that may stay NA is the Boxster Spyder, which is good for you.

Similar to GT cars, the Spyder is a car about visceral and aural emotion and pure driving pleasure. A car for the true enthusiast. A turbo would ruin it, just like it would ruin the GT3/RS, GT4.
Also the Spyder is a semi-limited car only produced every few years somewhat like the GT cars. The Spyder is also made in numbers small enough to not really impact emissions for all of PAG.
Old 02-24-2016 | 02:43 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STG991
This is very logical to me. No GTS among the other models have stayed NA. They've followed suit with the rest. Just got a Macan GTS brochure yesterday, guess what, same old turbo. I think the GTS may be further out than Oct. Although, they have been pushing the variants out faster due to below average 991.2 interest. We already have a 4S and Targa!
Latest Panamera GTS is NA. For whatever that's worth. Tough to pinpoint right now what the next Panamera GTS will be. So far it's Cayenne & Macan GTS that are turbo.
Old 02-24-2016 | 03:04 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Latest Panamera GTS is NA. For whatever that's worth. Tough to pinpoint right now what the next Panamera GTS will be. So far it's Cayenne & Macan GTS that are turbo.
Wasn't the panamera GTS introduced a while ago?

The all-new second generation panamera is expected at the fall 2016 Paris auto show. I expect nothing but turbos in the second generation panamera.

I expect nothing but turbos and hybrids from the entire line of Macans, Cayennes, and Panameras by 2017.

Only the "true" sports cars have a decent chance to stay NA, specifically the GT3, RS, GT4, and hopefully the Boxster Spyder. A car for each part of their enthusiast base, and all of these intermittently produced models would still make up such a small portion of cars sold by Porsche, that their overall emissions wouldn't suffer because of all the turbo Boxster, Cayman, Panamera, Macan, Cayennes, and 911s they would be selling.
Old 02-24-2016 | 03:09 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drifting
LOL, Don't think so.

You know, other than the GT cars, I think the one other Porsche model that may stay NA is the Boxster Spyder, which is good for you.

Similar to GT cars, the Spyder is a car about visceral and aural emotion and pure driving pleasure. A car for the true enthusiast. A turbo would ruin it, just like it would ruin the GT3/RS, GT4.
Also the Spyder is a semi-limited car only produced every few years somewhat like the GT cars. The Spyder is also made in numbers small enough to not really impact emissions for all of PAG.
Hee heee... Trouble brewing. But seriously, I was referring to the GTS comments with 450hp.. Too early in 991.2 production cycle and improbable that they remain NA... But If they do... Then I'll come back to find this specific cleaning lady to apologize for doubting her. In the meantime.. I still think there are too many cleaning lady chameleons.
Old 02-24-2016 | 05:30 AM
maxt
Racer

At the moment I'm very disappointed...been guaranteed one by my dealer but unlikely I will take it if mk1 based and with such a dull design.
Old 02-24-2016 | 06:09 AM
pyramid
Racer

This specific thread reminds me a lot of why I dont really visits rennteam anymore, everyone think they knew something either different or better, minus the moderator involvement
Old 02-24-2016 | 06:27 AM
928cs
Race Car

Originally Posted by maxt
At the moment I'm very disappointed...been guaranteed one by my dealer but unlikely I will take it if mk1 based and with such a dull design.
Wait another week, and you may change your mind.

Personally, I like the clear lines of the last pictures, without any sticker added. It really reminds me the original 911 R.
Old 02-24-2016 | 08:01 AM
maxt
Racer

Originally Posted by 928cs
Wait another week, and you may change your mind.

Personally, I like the clear lines of the last pictures, without any sticker added. It really reminds me the original 911 R.
I really hope so...but need to be based on the mk2! I have a 991 Turbo S and a 991 GT3 RS, both mk1, I will not add another mk1 based car!

P.s. Thanks for all the kind PM received but If I'm not taking the car I will not sell my allocation, it will go to the second in line at my dealer!
Old 02-24-2016 | 08:04 AM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Originally Posted by maxt
I really hope so...but need to be based on the mk2! I have a 991 Turbo S and a 991 GT3 RS, both mk1, I will not add another mk1 based car!

P.s. Thanks for all the kind PM received but If I'm not taking the car I will not sell my allocation, it will go to the second in line at my dealer!
Hiw many delivered car at your dealer?

Quick Reply: OT:911R