Sponsored by:

OT:911R

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:24 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Perhaps they've found more power in the 9A1 with the extended development for the GT3 R?
They didn't need GT3 R development......They found easy HP in 4.0L by just adding Dundon Motorsports headers to upcoming 911R. Porsche felt that in light of how trustworthy they are regarded by the Feds that they can easily pull off running no cats.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Metzeger
This car seems to be special for sure... I think 500 - 600 cars, 4.0 rs motor with some racing parts (GT3 R) 525 hp,a diferent exhaust system, a lightweight interior ( 70 - 100 kg in the spirit of the original R), lightweight body panel (carbonRS parts), special front fender, RS hood and magnesium roof etc.., manual, no RWS, No wings (like the original R) a pure car... OK i dream but...the answer arrive quickly
I'm sure the car will be something special, and no disrespect to your dream, but the RS engine is NOT going to happen. Taking bets now.......
Old 01-21-2016, 03:10 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Taking bets now.......
put me in the camp of RS engine. i'd like to revise my HP estimate to 525hp from original 550hp
Old 01-21-2016, 03:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

FWIW,the new Cadillac sport(forgot the name-maybe someone can chime in) comes with a 6 speed manual transmission with rev matching on downshifts and no lift on upshifts. The technology is there and perhaps Porsche will start offering it with the 991R and 991.2 GT3 with a manual transmission. That way,nobody will feel the need to cry about how much time they would lose for lifting while changing gears.

P.S. Found it : it's the 2016 Cadillac ATS-V.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
GT3 475/3.8 L = 125 HP Liter
GT3 RS 500/4.0 L = 125 HP Liter Incresed Stroke AND Reduced max RPM from 200 to 500 RPM less = same piston speed

550HP/4.4L = 125 HP Liter Increasing bore is
aame piston speed

why impossible?
What s not technically doable in this setup?

Not saying they will do but it s doable
you're adding an entirely new rumor that displacement will be bumped to 4.4L. I was working off the most common assumption and information to this point that the engine will stay 4.0L.

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
Maybe I should have changed it to this instead???

the artist formerly know as...

Originally Posted by neanicu
FWIW,the new Cadillac sport(forgot the name-maybe someone can chime in) comes with a 6 speed manual transmission with rev matching on downshifts and no lift on upshifts. The technology is there and perhaps Porsche will start offering it with the 991R and 991.2 GT3 with a manual transmission. That way,nobody will feel the need to cry about how much time they would lose for lifting while changing gears.

P.S. Found it : it's the 2016 Cadillac ATS-V.
YES! Very counter-intuitive as you are so used to lifting but nope.. keep the throttle pinned, press the clutch, shift, and clutch out.. amazing. Not sure why Porsche couldn't do this, but Cadillac did it. found a video

Old 01-21-2016, 04:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Not sure why Porsche couldn't do this, but Cadillac did it.
I have a feeling they will soon.

Bear in mind that Porsche didn't offer automatic rev matching on downshifts in the early 991s either. The first 991s came in 2012 and Porsche started offering rev matching in late 2013 991s.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Not very different from a normal powershift with a MT except that it apparently helps mitigate the screw-up factor for someone who is clumsy with the shifter.

Although the throttle isn't lifted by the driver, this type of shift can't be as quick as that in a dual clutch gearbox where the next gear is already preselected and power flow is almost completely seamless.

Probably kind of fun though....
Old 01-21-2016, 04:51 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Not very different from a normal powershift with a MT except that it apparently mitigates the screw-up factor for someone who is clumsy with the shifter. Although the clutch pedal isn't lifted by the driver, my guess is that the technology still disengages the clutch briefly to complete the shift. Regardless, this type of shift can't be as quick as that in a dual clutch gearbox where the next gear is already preselected and power flow is almost completely seamless. Probably kind of fun though....
Let's not forget that by having the computer assisting the shift,it will put less wear on the clutch and components than if you are power shifting. That will mess things up quickly.

To your second point,of course it's different and not as fast. I'm personally not excited about this technology,as I'm not excited about rev matching on downshifts in my GT4. That's why I'm rarely in Sport mode. I prefer to do it myself. But,my point is,the technology is out there for those concerned with the momentary loss of acceleration when manually upshifting.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:52 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
This is my understanding...

918 owners who've kept their car greater than 3 years are given 10 years of VIP. Less than 3 years and greater than 6 months gets you 3 years of VIP. Less than 6 months of ownership gets you nothing.

So it's not a forever thing, but it will be around for a while - at least 2024.
Correct.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 911R

from reliable sources: RS Motor. GT3 Motor cannot be MT. High rev motor was specific to PDK. The engineers went back to the drawing board to try and put a MT in the 991 GT3 around the time of the intro due to all the negative press and couldn't do it. Then the 2014 fire recall problem. When they were compelled to redesign the GT3 problem motor for the 991 RS they engineered it for either PDK or MT. That's why we hear that a "future" GT3 will be available either way.

Specs can change but I was also told RS double bubble roof. I also heard 550hp. I thought it was a bad Skype connection because it doesn't "feel" right. But there may be some confidential piece of paper that states it since now I'm hearing it elsewhere. It may also be a misprint. I don't believe it will have more HP (and probably less) than an RS. I also heard it will be a narrow body car.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Of course it's different and not as fast. I'm personally not excited about this technology,as I'm not excited about rev matching on downshifts in my GT4. That's why I'm rarely in Sport mode. I prefer to do it myself. But,my point is,the technology is out there for those concerned with the momentary loss of acceleration when manually upshifting.
Not to split hairs but there is a momentary loss of acceleration if the clutch is disengaged, which I assume it is with this technology. Quicker than a normal throttle lift upshift, but not as quick as PDK. Something to be concerned about? That's a different issue....
Old 01-21-2016, 05:12 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Not to split hairs but there is a momentary loss of acceleration if the clutch is disengaged, which I assume it is with this technology. Quicker than a normal throttle lift upshift, but not as quick as PDK. Something to be concerned about? That's a different issue....
We are not splitting hairs Mike. LOL! But that's what I said in my previous post : there is a momentary loss of acceleration,but not as bad as when power shifting " manually " so to speak...
Also,I've edited my previous post to include a few points about accelerated wear when power shifting.

of course it's different and not as fast.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:14 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by Suitcase
from reliable sources: RS Motor. GT3 Motor cannot be MT. High rev motor was specific to PDK.
It's only 200 rpm higher, but ultimately the pistons are moving slower / same speed, if I recall correctly.

So, why would the RS engine be more capable to be mated to a manual transmission than the GT3 engine? Especially considering they were both made for PDK-S from the beginning.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
So, why would the RS engine be more capable to be mated to a manual transmission than the GT3 engine? Especially considering they were both made for PDK-S from the beginning.
I highly doubt that's the case. Porsche has always had the capability to fit a manual tranny with both engines. They just chose not to because of costs involved and because the car is faster with PDK. Simple really...
Old 01-21-2016, 05:18 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Found another article about the 911R today. Nothing much new other than what we all know, it will be revealed this March at the Geneva Car Show

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/21/p...geneva-report/

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Quick Reply: OT:911R