Sponsored by:

OT:911R

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 03:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
it almost puts me off coming here , I love cars as much as when I was broke . Ones current financial situation should not be the barometer from which one is judged .For good or for bad .
Amen. And thanks for coming here—your posts are inspirational, and your enthusiasm clear!!

pete
Old 03-03-2016, 03:44 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stout
Amen. And thanks for coming here—your posts are inspirational, and your enthusiasm clear!!

pete
Thank you mr Stout , I love it here . I used to spend most time on the CGT section but will be here more often
Old 03-03-2016, 03:53 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ooph...is there seriously any risk of Posche taking a 991 derived MT and adapting that for the R? I've driven that tranny (as many of you have) and we can all agree it's complete ****e. I have a very hard time believing this would be the course with AP, GT engineers, a 184k price tag and the upcoming use of the tranny in 991.2 GT3s. If I had an allocation, this would be a critical piece of data.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:55 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's a new box -- different ratios and the plan is for it to continue in the GT line. The other people driving it remarked on the clutch pedal requiring a lot of effort. I drive a 1972 normally, so that didn't occur to me at all.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:55 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gled
Does anybody know if this info is correct? I saw some technical info that says the new R's 6 speed is adapted from from the 7 speed trans. The 7 speed trans is a PDK converted to manual. Because gear pairs do not share the same shift rail, ie 1-2, 3-4, etc, they came up with a MEchanically COnverted Shift Actuator (MECOSA) to make the H pattern. Here is shift info for the 7 speed, I assume they are dumping 7th and adjusting the ratios. Gordon
Gordon,

The gearbox uses the case from the 991's PDK-derived manual, with seventh gear ditched (saving 6.6~ pounds), a PM GT dept diff, and linkage to deal with the conversion to 6 forward gears. 1-4 ratios are similar to 991 GT3, 5-6 are revised. AP's reason to move from 7 to 6 gears was he felt seven creates too many gates. One option you WANT on this car is the lightweight flywheel (so long as you don't mind the additional noise). Sounds like it would have never been green-lighted as standard equipment, so making it an option was the way to go.

I was at the Geneva intro, and was a bit cynical going into it given all of the (sometimes fair) criticism of this car, and a tough to shake question of what would the world have said in 1972 if Porsche came out with a 911 dolled up to recall 356s in Panamericana or Mille Miglia liveries for the street? Any cynicism (or at least most of it) went out the window when I saw the car on the stand. Add rear seats and folding buckets, and this would be the perfect 991 for the road in my book. AP mentioned it beats the RS 4.0 for reward on back roads, which remains his (and my) high-water point in that regard, and mentions that the tweaks in this car are like the tweaks in that car over 997 RS 3.8—small and not appreciated by most, but key nonetheless. Sounds like there might be a special drive coming soon, but we'll see.

Car looked great in person, and the seats and many of the details are killer. I wish Porsche had made the new 911R available only in colors the original 911Rs were built in (Light Ivory, Slate Gray, Reventlow blue, Cadillac Gold, etc), and maybe did unique wheels for it or offered these in clear anodized like the old forged Fuchs, but we all end up with our "thing," don't we. And this car is probably the coolest of the recent GT3s in my book. Hope it drives as well as it promises to...

pete
Old 03-03-2016, 03:57 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I'm pretty sure it's a new box -- different ratios and the plan is for it to continue in the GT line. The other people driving it remarked on the clutch pedal requiring a lot of effort. I drive a 1972 normally, so that didn't occur to me at all.
Jack,

Car you drove must have had the optional lightweight flywheel. And no, it wouldn't bug a vintage 911 driver, if the GT2 RS etc are anything to go by!

Pete
Old 03-03-2016, 03:59 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

That might be the case. There was some 'noise tuning' they talked about still wanting to refine. (Again, to my ears it was all very refined and quiet, until you got up in the revs with the exhaust button switched on.)
Old 03-03-2016, 04:00 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Completely agree on retro colors Pete. Shame

Jack, forgot you drove it. Your overall impressions of the MT? The 991.1 CS 7-speed I drove felt disconnected and very un-mechanical as compared to the 997/987 gen or 6-speed 981 GT4/spyder -- which are absolutely wonderful transmissions.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:08 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Nice. Perhaps with this car you will actually know you are doing something to make the car move vs the 991 GT3. I wanted something brutal & connected to me on my 991 GT3. I was chasing the 996 GT3 experience ( my only GT to compare against). Still chasing.

A worn out leg is a good thing.. thinking twice before jumping into rush hour traffic bc it's a real bitch even better.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:11 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I wish I could be more help on that. I didn't notice anything really particular at all with the shifting. I've driven 997s with a MT, but I think the 991s I've driven have all had the paddles. And the cars they have with the stripes are both '000' pre-production cars, so I can't say that every component is the final and refined version. But again, it felt fine to me. Much easier than my old magnesium-case 915 with Porsches old-style synchros and aftermarket gearsets. But even my old Jeep feels easy and light compared to the 915.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I am going to do Euro delivery in the car after my "work season" is over. I want side stripes 100%.

If anyone wants to arrange for a drive across Europe in our R's or anyone wants to join up that's currently there, I will call in some favors to have our cars stored and cared for so that we can all whip around together. Since they are all being built together- no production issues.

Sample itinerary:

play around in stuttgart and vienna for a few days.

a1 south towards florence (always clear 365 days a year) - carb out and drive through cinque terra tunnels mandatory. Visit Ferrari Factory/ Lambo/ Pagani (all close together)

Whip up through northen italy into switzerland if weather permits, if not- head to monaco/ bordeaux. Optional to continue on to spain or possibly back to germany.

PM me if this interests you.
This is not going to be a gumball3000 BS thing I only want classy guys that won't get us all arrested. Maybe we can mix in a track day at Mugello or Paul Ricard. Depends on how much $$ it will cost.
I'm in if things happen to work out
Old 03-03-2016, 05:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 778 Posts

Put me on that list :-)
Old 03-03-2016, 05:20 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This might cheer some of you up...

I've got a 918, bought new from Porsche. Full fat Weissach spec, PTS, Factory collection etc etc. I had it on a track after 18hrs and 3 times in the first week. I've driven 5,000 miles in 11 months and use it all the time. I've bought and own various other Porsches and other cars, and currently having a 924 Carrera GT restored by dealer, to be stripped and painted by Porsche GB.

I was first to put name on list for R at dealer, and said at the time that I would happily agree not to sell on. I have been told today that I've not been allocated an R, (no formal VIP program in UK). The dealer has been allocated one car, and it's going to someone who, to be fair, has better credentials, having also bought a CGT from new.

However, it's Porsche which has decided to build this car in limited numbers, and clearly has at least 991 customers who they'd rather have a car than me. That's their choice, and I will make mine...

So, good luck to all of you who get one. It will be a great car. Personally, I won't be buying another P car, ever. Not Halo, but goodbye...
Old 03-03-2016, 05:44 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
This might cheer some of you up...

I've got a 918, bought new from Porsche. Full fat Weissach spec, PTS, Factory collection etc etc. I had it on a track after 18hrs and 3 times in the first week. I've driven 5,000 miles in 11 months and use it all the time. I've bought and own various other Porsches and other cars, and currently having a 924 Carrera GT restored by dealer, to be stripped and painted by Porsche GB.

I was first to put name on list for R at dealer, and said at the time that I would happily agree not to sell on. I have been told today that I've not been allocated an R, (no formal VIP program in UK). The dealer has been allocated one car, and it's going to someone who, to be fair, has better credentials, having also bought a CGT from new.

However, it's Porsche which has decided to build this car in limited numbers, and clearly has at least 991 customers who they'd rather have a car than me. That's their choice, and I will make mine...

So, good luck to all of you who get one. It will be a great car. Personally, I won't be buying another P car, ever. Not Halo, but goodbye...
Dear Father, I come to you because I have sinned in my mind.
I am embarrassed at my own sense of schadenfreude in reading Footsoldier's post, truly I am. For some reason, i feel better having read his words.. I rejoice in his misery. I'm overcome by a very populist "even the elites must feel our pain" sort of way. I repeat, I'm not proud of this, and I admit my sinful thoughts to you father, and to the Rennlist anonymous people's internet forum jury of not so equals.. but something about a PTS 918 owner not getting this car makes me feel less un-important. I will say 10 hail mary's as you recommend father

All catholic-ish confessions aside.. I try not to comment too much on this thread but I do think it bears repeating my previous post on this subject (of course i would think that) that this is a "dipping a toe in the water" moment for Porsche. They sell their high profit margin 911R to their very very loyal customers, a zero-risk experiment for them in recreating the high revving NA manual 911... they cunningly create this as a 991.1 body style even though the 991.2 is already out.. a perfect artificial marketing segmentation.

They then evaluate the level of angst amongst the plebes, as a gauge of potential volume for a 991.2 production run. My hope is that all these 136+ pages as well as many others in forums around the world, help to confirm their decision to recommence production of more manual gt3's in the future. Me must Keep at it.. we must keep venting the fury of the people... us, the poor unwashed mini-millionaires that we are. While we may not possess those multi-car 8-figure garages with multi-car collections of uber-rare machinery, we just wish for a humble, 500hp 4.0 single plate rattly clutch close ratio 6-speed manual rear-engined 911 beast of honest driving goodness... is that too much to ask?.

I am confident that even we, the top 1% but not quite the .01% will get our last dieing wish, we will get what we desire soon... the NA high revving manual 911 is not dead yet. Now give us our cake damn it.

Last edited by CAlexio; 03-03-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Move to Scotland - there will be at least one more manual GT3 available...

Quick Reply: OT:911R