Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT:911R

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 09:56 AM
williambnj
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know when the remaining (after 918 owners) allocations will be distributed? I am 1 on a list at a major northeast dealer and have bought 4 P-cars from them in the last 2 years... we shall see I will keep you all posted
Old 03-04-2016, 10:05 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,287 Likes on 613 Posts

Whoopsy- glad you said what you did also.

In my experience there are only two ways to allocate limited edition cars: the waiting list and 'selected by PCNA' style.

The RS for instance and the last few generations has been relatively limited but as a high priced car in the market, or a car "hard to drive" for plebes, the 997.1 and 997.2 RS sold above msrp in the secondary market (dupont reg etc) or ferrari style at dealers. Lots of guys got their cars at msrp also. But- the stick shift kept out the high % of guys that would otherwise buy F1 trans ferraris or e-gear lambos. This new gen GT3/RS has invited all the guys waiting on their 300+k 488 coupes to paddle themselves. More new money buyers, more "new and unproven"'customers and therefore more flippers.

The ford GT on the other hand- allocated straight via allocation from corporate. People bitching about not getting a chance at one but they are only making 200-250 a year for a few years. Nobody will get them from shady tactics- only by being Ford Approved. Very opaque and does not matter when you raised your hand.

The CGT vs 918 thing- porsche learned their lesson and wanted to presell as many cars as possible, so they incentivized people to reach for the 1M car. They slightly over populated showrooms with the 440k CGT and dealers were losing 30-50k selling those.

There is no perfect way to do it, the demand is so big for the "good porsches" now. We have all now witnessed that they can execute any model (GT4, Boxster Spyder) that we wanted or previously only existed via aftermarket. Their core strength enthusiast style cars (GTS, GT3, RS) are all getting better and better.

Now they have shown they can reach way deep into the R+D pile and come out with awesome frankensteins like the 911R. They are on fire and as we make more collective money to spend on cars our choices are to purchase scarce used cars (997 RS, 993, 997 GT2, 964RSA, etc) or BEG for slots locally for new cars.

Waiting for the last minute or waffling gets anyone passed by. Too many of us have faith now in the brand and don't want to lose out on the next one.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:05 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by williambnj
Does anyone know when the remaining (after 918 owners) allocations will be distributed? I am 1 on a list at a major northeast dealer and have bought 4 P-cars from them in the last 2 years... we shall see I will keep you all posted
From what I heard, after the 918 Spyder owners, to be in the VIP program you should historically been buying Porsche cars. So they look how many Porsche cars you have bought and looks at the money you have spent. Buying yearly a Boxter as example will not qualify you due to relative cost.

On top of this, what is your placement on the dealer's waiting list, and how big is the dealer.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 03-04-2016, 10:07 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by williambnj
They have til march 8th to claim it. If they pass then PCNA gets to distribute via dealers (guys with deposits at top top stores) or directly through executive board recommended buyers (jay leno types).
Old 03-04-2016, 10:09 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Well to be fair I know a few 4.0 owners that drive their cars and only allegorically know the single dude who took all the 4.0 he could and bubble wrapped them.
Hello C.J.,

Did your dealer tell you, you can do PTS on your 911R?

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 03-04-2016, 10:18 AM
GT234RS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought 7-8 Porsches from my dealer, owned 10+ Porsches, put deposit for R half a year ago,

still have zero chance to get the R, what a shame...
Old 03-04-2016, 10:23 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Hello C.J., Did your dealer tell you, you can do PTS on your 911R? Drive safe, GT3RS-Fan1
Was not told. Will ask
Old 03-04-2016, 10:41 AM
FelixW
Track Day

Was able to spec out a black on on the configurator a few days ago, can't anymore. Weird.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:47 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I got my allocation confirmation today and was told I was one of only 10-20 nationwide "non vip" that was guaranteed a slot. Only because I put my name on list before there was a list.

I am going to do Euro delivery in the car after my "work season" is over. I want side stripes 100%.

If anyone wants to arrange for a drive across Europe in our R's or anyone wants to join up that's currently there, I will call in some favors to have our cars stored and cared for so that we can all whip around together. Since they are all being built together- no production issues.

Sample itinerary:

play around in stuttgart and vienna for a few days.

a1 south towards florence (always clear 365 days a year) - carb out and drive through cinque terra tunnels mandatory. Visit Ferrari Factory/ Lambo/ Pagani (all close together)

Whip up through northen italy into switzerland if weather permits, if not- head to monaco/ bordeaux. Optional to continue on to spain or possibly back to germany.

PM me if this interests you.
This is not going to be a gumball3000 BS thing I only want classy guys that won't get us all arrested. Maybe we can mix in a track day at Mugello or Paul Ricard. Depends on how much $$ it will cost.
I can help with the trip planning. How about Instead we head to the nurburgring for a private track day, be guests at a 4 hour enduro with sabine's team, party with her afterwards, then spa, and finally sarthe. Finally head back south and drive the spine of the alps back, possibly having a private tour in gmund.

I arranged the 22 car M3/M4 group delivery in 2014 and doing a 50 car M2 delivery this summer along with some GT4's thrown in.

Hoping my dealer comes through on my #1 spot for the 911R as I also signed up long before there was a list.

Would be great if we can arrange an all porsche euro romp in early october!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:57 AM
RBH
Instructor

Originally Posted by carrering
I can help with the trip planning. How about Instead we head to the nurburgring for a private track day, be guests at a 4 hour enduro with sabine's team, party with her afterwards, then spa, and finally sarthe. Finally head back south and drive the spine of the alps back, possibly having a private tour in gmund.

I arranged the 22 car M3/M4 group delivery in 2014 and doing a 50 car M2 delivery this summer along with some GT4's thrown in.

Hoping my dealer comes through on my #1 spot for the 911R as I also signed up long before there was a list.

Would be great if we can arrange an all porsche euro romp in early october!
Depends on dates of course; but I know there is a 'private' trackday at the Nurburgring on the 26th of September organized by friends of mine.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:59 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 773 Posts

Carrering, I'm interesting, depending on dates it would be fun.

We got together with other American ED customers, but it was a loose combination of separate itinerary's.

Its just a Macan but the car doesn't need to go back to Mid June I think. Plenty fast for the Ring..
Old 03-04-2016, 11:13 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I'm struggling to understand.

In about a year we can all buy pretty much the same car as the R. Remove the wing on your gen2 gt3 and swap the seat cushions.

It will most likely cost way less than the R.
To me the 918 situation is symptomatic of a culture shift at VW/Porsche. We've seen quality control suffer - I had 26 different warranty fixes/recalls last year across 4 2015+ Porsches. You look at all of the 9A1 engine problems in the GT3, even recalls for the GT3 RS. There are many other things I've been told by friends but asked not to share...

My confidence in the brand continues to decrease rather than increase, I think I'll just stick to some air cooled options and buy a Singer to enjoy

Last edited by NateOZ; 03-04-2016 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-04-2016, 11:18 AM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is the most basic question ; if the R was a regular production model what would the demand be ? I think it would be looked at with a much more critical eye .
Old 03-04-2016, 11:22 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The first of the weekly R microsite driving tutorial videos is up today. Hopefully we'll get to see Long, Olsen, et al. enjoying the car through some perfect driving roads! This one is on seating position, called "Warm-Up."

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/911...esson1-warm-up
Old 03-04-2016, 12:08 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
If Porsche has people elbowing each other to try to get the R, like shoppers in the mall during the final days before Christmas, they seem to be doing a good job of creating demand for the car. But there's also the risk that Porsche will be perceived as openly catering to its most elite customers at the expense of its other customers, which could have a net negative effect on customer goodwill.

And what makes you thing the 'other' customers are more deserving the special cars than the 'elite' ones?

CJ here doesn't have a 918, yet he's got a 911R coming, so it's not impossible, one just need to prove to their dealer who does allocations that they are a worthy client.

The old GT2RS, GT3RS4.0 had even lower production numbers, where was the complaints back then? You are just blaming the 918 owners for no valid reasons.

Look at things this way, one 'other' customer got a 911R, one 'elite' customer also has one, which customer you think will worry about future 'resale' value and perhaps limits their driving time on such a limited car? The elite one couldn't care less, they will drive the car however he likes, while the normal one will think more about the potential windfall they can have by re-selling such a car in pristine condition.

You might say you are different and do drive and enjoy the R, but at the end of the day, would you be tempted to sell the car say for 500k or something when you initially paid MSRP and can realize a huge profit?

Quick Reply: OT:911R