PCCB vs Steel - Apologies

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:46 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Then definitely get the PCCBs.

There's nothing about the GT3 that screams rational.
Very true.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:05 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Ultimately the PCCB's will return almost nothing at resale time. Even if they were a free option they'd be a tossup on the GT3 because some people track the car and simply don't want them. If you're buying the car with resale in mind go with the better looking (admittedly my opinion) free red brakes. If you want PCCB and money isn't an issue than get them.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:52 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Ahem... it's actually cast iron. A gentleman always says what he means, and means what he says.
+1
Old 07-06-2015, 06:04 PM
NYCone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Ultimately the PCCB's will return almost nothing at resale time. Even if they were a free option they'd be a tossup on the GT3 because some people track the car and simply don't want them. If you're buying the car with resale in mind go with the better looking (admittedly my opinion) free red brakes. If you want PCCB and money isn't an issue than get them.
My lock is flexible - It turns out a can still change the brakes. So I'm back to iron.

Brake dust is not enough to justify the $9200. Iron seems to have similar performance, more flexibility regarding pads, and less expensive to change or modify.

If I could get some of the $9200 back at resale, it might be fun to try them, but if I'm eating the $9200, I'll sit this one out.

In summary, I guess there is no real measurable technology edge, so not worth the $9200 loss at resale.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:01 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Brembro Rep at GT3 Thank you event

I have the PCCBs and I love them. I've had both on a variety of 911s. The one thing that impressed me was the tech session at the GT3 thank you event. The Brembo rep, straight from Italy, gave a very cool and informative session on the PCCBs. He had all three generation of PCCB rotors as well as the iron rotors, so we could pick them up and compare quality and weights. Needless to say the weight difference and the improved quality of the third generation rotor was obvious.
He also presented a variety of graphs showing the difference in performance of PCCBs versus the iron. The graphs of the PCCB were identical over and over versus significant degradation in performance of the iron.
So between the significant weight savings, repeatable performance AND impressive rotor durability I vote for PCCBs!
I have over 15 track days on my PCCBs and my rotors are still 80%. Expensive, but IMO, worth it.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:19 AM
Fast Doc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Australia, the PCCB are a $22,000 option with comparable replacement costs.

If I had to pay a $9,000 option I would, but I could not justify our option costs.

Wish our prices were comparable to the US.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:14 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCone
My lock is flexible - It turns out a can still change the brakes. So I'm back to iron.

Brake dust is not enough to justify the $9200. Iron seems to have similar performance, more flexibility regarding pads, and less expensive to change or modify.

If I could get some of the $9200 back at resale, it might be fun to try them, but if I'm eating the $9200, I'll sit this one out.

In summary, I guess there is no real measurable technology edge, so not worth the $9200 loss at resale.
I'm trading my GT3 with PCCBs for $8k under MSRP, I think most of the deduct is on things like alcanatra seat belt outlet, yellow belts, leather dash etc.

I don't think anyone with PCCBs on the 991 has taken a hit so far.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:00 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I'm trading my GT3 with PCCBs for $8k under MSRP, I think most of the deduct is on things like alcanatra seat belt outlet, yellow belts, leather dash etc.

I don't think anyone with PCCBs on the 991 has taken a hit so far.
agreed.

also believe the RS will sustain the added cost from ceramics due to its exclusivity. some may not want them but many will pay just to get the RS. rest of Porsche's line-up (presently excluding 991 gt3s) return zero or darn close to that at time of resale.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:02 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
+1
+2 and it's Mezger...
Old 07-07-2015, 03:03 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default PCCB vs Steel - Apologies

Does anyone have real time stats on 3rd generation Pccb on tracking vs 2nd gen or cast irons? I realize not everyone agrees on Pccb for whatever reason( price, replacement price, feel, looks, resale) but it would be nice to know if the 3rd hold up better then previously. I love the looks and no brake dust but it's a hefty price and would consider Changing if I was to start tracking a lot
Old 07-08-2015, 03:27 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Some pictures of CCM rotors that were shipped to Nissan GT-R owners this week (Retrofitting OE iron rotors):

Hardware - Exclusively tooled by RB for easy assembly and dis-assembly, surface are treated for corrosion resistance:
Name:  IMG_3833_zpsa6we32z6.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  63.4 KB

Self locking hex nut hardware assembly details:
Name:  IMG_3826_zps0xzsm0gu.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  79.4 KB

Rotor hat printed with minimum thickness and weight:

Weight balancer installed (transferred from ZR1 discs) - All RB CCM hats are made for weight balancer provision:

Final assembly weight (Front rotor): 13 lbs

Rear rotor hat imprinting min wt and thk:

True light weight rear rotor hat with emergency drum brake:

Final assembly weight:

Same ZR1 discs, but rotors still can be designed and built differently.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Been gone for awhile, saw the phone app was back.. Checking in with my buddies on gt3 forum. Someone posts a "steel vs pccb" thread, my eyes bug out as I realize it's not from 2014 or earlier but recent. I hesitantly click on the thread and yep, I see someone has dropped a small hand grenade in the form of a dead horse into the proceedings... Off to the dead horse races we go then...

Right out of the gate the dead horse #2 is tentatively going for a quiet pass, hoping to not disrupt proceeding and close everything down with a quick answer.. Haha, amateur!, another young-un, who is trying not to get bloodied in the mixup, trying not to take the bait slides quietly by with a simple retort.. Race over?.. Not quite. . By now the master dead horse racers, the heavy hitters with "the Knowledge" realize there is something of note happening, so they nonchalantly drop in and take the lead.. Tentatively at first as if they're above the fray but tHey JUST CANT RESIST dabbing their feet... Pros at this sort of thing, like Mike (who is definitely from California) and the orthopedic guy who knows so much about "steel vs pccb" that a whole sub-forum should be dedicated to him get involved.

They realize the race is with a bunch of newbies, dead horse peons at a poker game who couldn't see a setup if Paul Newman from the sting was staring right at the them.. The pros flex their muscles, the true dead horse race is on . The Pros start trading velvet gloved heavy metal punches while pretending to feel nothing but love for each other.. The newbies try to hold on, all of a sudden they realize they are vastly outclassed.. They start taking desperate lunges in the form of mindless repetition in CAPS.. "STEEL STEEL STEEL... PCCB PCCB PCCB"... it went from a simple troll thread to a war with nuclear weapons.. The Dead Horse Masters start dropping bunker bombs of knowledge, anorak minutiae like "shaved tires" and "worn pad weight" start falling.. Ferry Porsche himself is laughing in his grave at the sheer noise and nonsense...

Then someone quotes the classic "knowledgeable friend" and world war X breaks out as massive acronyms like "AP" and "WR" becoming unwitting allies supporting what has become an all out massacre of newbies in the form of tried old patterns of 0's and 1's ... There is no turning back, this thing is going the full 200 pages.. Records will fall, horses will die repeat repeat death deaths... Through the clouds of battle feeble words like "brake dust".. "Auto cross" ... "sudden total loss"... "resale value of options" will be bandied about like paper planes in gale force winds.. Only a full forum shutdown can save us now... or... an intervention by a brake rotor vendor who knows how to capitalize from the spoils of war by peddling his wares to the now mentally worn and confused participants.... yep.. it's a classic "steel vs pccb" thread... the word "My apology" in the title serving as a sad decoy which fooled no one... you knew EXACTLY what you were doing mr OP... and for that, I applaud you.

Oh look my phone battery died, I'll check in again in a few days.. May the deadest horse win, many veterans will be created over the next few days, many arthritic thumbs will emerge, many enraged spouses will walk by asking "is this really what marriage is about?" as their spouse furiously taps away at their screen ".... but but but... what about the additional weight of brake dust?... That should count for something shouldn't it?"...

love you guys, I'll be in touch when I move to a nice spot with a garage... Life without front axle lift isn't worth living is it? Is it?... GO!!!!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

Here's a strange and random thought. Dead horse is one of the few things on the planet that does not taste like chicken. I wonder why?
Old 07-08-2015, 12:43 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Been gone for awhile, saw the phone app was back.. Checking in with my buddies on gt3 forum. Someone posts a "steel vs pccb" thread, my eyes bug out as I realize it's not from 2014 or earlier but recent. I hesitantly click on the thread and yep, I see someone has dropped a small hand grenade in the form of a dead horse into the proceedings... Off to the dead horse races we go then...

Right out of the gate the dead horse #2 is tentatively going for a quiet pass, hoping to not disrupt proceeding and close everything down with a quick answer.. Haha, amateur!, another young-un, who is trying not to get bloodied in the mixup, trying not to take the bait slides quietly by with a simple retort.. Race over?.. Not quite. . By now the master dead horse racers, the heavy hitters with "the Knowledge" realize there is something of note happening, so they nonchalantly drop in and take the lead.. Tentatively at first as if they're above the fray but tHey JUST CANT RESIST dabbing their feet... Pros at this sort of thing, like Mike (who is definitely from California) and the orthopedic guy who knows so much about "steel vs pccb" that a whole sub-forum should be dedicated to him get involved.

They realize the race is with a bunch of newbies, dead horse peons at a poker game who couldn't see a setup if Paul Newman from the sting was staring right at the them.. The pros flex their muscles, the true dead horse race is on . The Pros start trading velvet gloved heavy metal punches while pretending to feel nothing but love for each other.. The newbies try to hold on, all of a sudden they realize they are vastly outclassed.. They start taking desperate lunges in the form of mindless repetition in CAPS.. "STEEL STEEL STEEL... PCCB PCCB PCCB"... it went from a simple troll thread to a war with nuclear weapons.. The Dead Horse Masters start dropping bunker bombs of knowledge, anorak minutiae like "shaved tires" and "worn pad weight" start falling.. Ferry Porsche himself is laughing in his grave at the sheer noise and nonsense...

Then someone quotes the classic "knowledgeable friend" and world war X breaks out as massive acronyms like "AP" and "WR" becoming unwitting allies supporting what has become an all out massacre of newbies in the form of tried old patterns of 0's and 1's ... There is no turning back, this thing is going the full 200 pages.. Records will fall, horses will die repeat repeat death deaths... Through the clouds of battle feeble words like "brake dust".. "Auto cross" ... "sudden total loss"... "resale value of options" will be bandied about like paper planes in gale force winds.. Only a full forum shutdown can save us now... or... an intervention by a brake rotor vendor who knows how to capitalize from the spoils of war by peddling his wares to the now mentally worn and confused participants.... yep.. it's a classic "steel vs pccb" thread... the word "My apology" in the title serving as a sad decoy which fooled no one... you knew EXACTLY what you were doing mr OP... and for that, I applaud you.

Oh look my phone battery died, I'll check in again in a few days.. May the deadest horse win, many veterans will be created over the next few days, many arthritic thumbs will emerge, many enraged spouses will walk by asking "is this really what marriage is about?" as their spouse furiously taps away at their screen ".... but but but... what about the additional weight of brake dust?... That should count for something shouldn't it?"...

love you guys, I'll be in touch when I move to a nice spot with a garage... Life without front axle lift isn't worth living is it? Is it?... GO!!!!
Lmao! There you have it. To a tee!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:43 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Having a slow day at work? Lol! 😃😃😃👊👊

Quick Reply: PCCB vs Steel - Apologies