Sponsored by:

PCCB vs Steel - Apologies

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Been gone for awhile, saw the phone app was back.. Checking in with my buddies on gt3 forum. Someone posts a "steel vs pccb" thread, my eyes bug out as I realize it's not from 2014 or earlier but recent. I hesitantly click on the thread and yep, I see someone has dropped a small hand grenade in the form of a dead horse into the proceedings... Off to the dead horse races we go then...

Right out of the gate the dead horse #2 is tentatively going for a quiet pass, hoping to not disrupt proceeding and close everything down with a quick answer.. Haha, amateur!, another young-un, who is trying not to get bloodied in the mixup, trying not to take the bait slides quietly by with a simple retort.. Race over?.. Not quite. . By now the master dead horse racers, the heavy hitters with "the Knowledge" realize there is something of note happening, so they nonchalantly drop in and take the lead.. Tentatively at first as if they're above the fray but tHey JUST CANT RESIST dabbing their feet... Pros at this sort of thing, like Mike (who is definitely from California) and the orthopedic guy who knows so much about "steel vs pccb" that a whole sub-forum should be dedicated to him get involved.

They realize the race is with a bunch of newbies, dead horse peons at a poker game who couldn't see a setup if Paul Newman from the sting was staring right at the them.. The pros flex their muscles, the true dead horse race is on . The Pros start trading velvet gloved heavy metal punches while pretending to feel nothing but love for each other.. The newbies try to hold on, all of a sudden they realize they are vastly outclassed.. They start taking desperate lunges in the form of mindless repetition in CAPS.. "STEEL STEEL STEEL... PCCB PCCB PCCB"... it went from a simple troll thread to a war with nuclear weapons.. The Dead Horse Masters start dropping bunker bombs of knowledge, anorak minutiae like "shaved tires" and "worn pad weight" start falling.. Ferry Porsche himself is laughing in his grave at the sheer noise and nonsense...

Then someone quotes the classic "knowledgeable friend" and world war X breaks out as massive acronyms like "AP" and "WR" becoming unwitting allies supporting what has become an all out massacre of newbies in the form of tried old patterns of 0's and 1's ... There is no turning back, this thing is going the full 200 pages.. Records will fall, horses will die repeat repeat death deaths... Through the clouds of battle feeble words like "brake dust".. "Auto cross" ... "sudden total loss"... "resale value of options" will be bandied about like paper planes in gale force winds.. Only a full forum shutdown can save us now... or... an intervention by a brake rotor vendor who knows how to capitalize from the spoils of war by peddling his wares to the now mentally worn and confused participants.... yep.. it's a classic "steel vs pccb" thread... the word "My apology" in the title serving as a sad decoy which fooled no one... you knew EXACTLY what you were doing mr OP... and for that, I applaud you.

Oh look my phone battery died, I'll check in again in a few days.. May the deadest horse win, many veterans will be created over the next few days, many arthritic thumbs will emerge, many enraged spouses will walk by asking "is this really what marriage is about?" as their spouse furiously taps away at their screen ".... but but but... what about the additional weight of brake dust?... That should count for something shouldn't it?"...

love you guys, I'll be in touch when I move to a nice spot with a garage... Life without front axle lift isn't worth living is it? Is it?... GO!!!!
We've missed you too, Alex....

Old 07-08-2015, 09:02 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been gone for awhile, saw the phone app was back.. Checking in with my buddies on gt3 forum. Someone posts a "steel vs pccb" thread, my eyes bug out as I realize it's not from 2014 or earlier but recent. I hesitantly click on the thread and yep, I see someone has dropped a small hand grenade in the form of a dead horse into the proceedings... Off to the dead horse races we go then...

Right out of the gate the dead horse #2 is tentatively going for a quiet pass, hoping to not disrupt proceeding and close everything down with a quick answer.. Haha, amateur!, another young-un, who is trying not to get bloodied in the mixup, trying not to take the bait slides quietly by with a simple retort.. Race over?.. Not quite. . By now the master dead horse racers, the heavy hitters with "the Knowledge" realize there is something of note happening, so they nonchalantly drop in and take the lead.. Tentatively at first as if they're above the fray but tHey JUST CANT RESIST dabbing their feet... Pros at this sort of thing, like Mike (who is definitely from California) and the orthopedic guy who knows so much about "steel vs pccb" that a whole sub-forum should be dedicated to him get involved.

They realize the race is with a bunch of newbies, dead horse peons at a poker game who couldn't see a setup if Paul Newman from the sting was staring right at the them.. The pros flex their muscles, the true dead horse race is on . The Pros start trading velvet gloved heavy metal punches while pretending to feel nothing but love for each other.. The newbies try to hold on, all of a sudden they realize they are vastly outclassed.. They start taking desperate lunges in the form of mindless repetition in CAPS.. "STEEL STEEL STEEL... PCCB PCCB PCCB"... it went from a simple troll thread to a war with nuclear weapons.. The Dead Horse Masters start dropping bunker bombs of knowledge, anorak minutiae like "shaved tires" and "worn pad weight" start falling.. Ferry Porsche himself is laughing in his grave at the sheer noise and nonsense...

Then someone quotes the classic "knowledgeable friend" and world war X breaks out as massive acronyms like "AP" and "WR" becoming unwitting allies supporting what has become an all out massacre of newbies in the form of tried old patterns of 0's and 1's ... There is no turning back, this thing is going the full 200 pages.. Records will fall, horses will die repeat repeat death deaths... Through the clouds of battle feeble words like "brake dust".. "Auto cross" ... "sudden total loss"... "resale value of options" will be bandied about like paper planes in gale force winds.. Only a full forum shutdown can save us now... or... an intervention by a brake rotor vendor who knows how to capitalize from the spoils of war by peddling his wares to the now mentally worn and confused participants.... yep.. it's a classic "steel vs pccb" thread... the word "My apology" in the title serving as a sad decoy which fooled no one... you knew EXACTLY what you were doing mr OP... and for that, I applaud you.

Oh look my phone battery died, I'll check in again in a few days.. May the deadest horse win, many veterans will be created over the next few days, many arthritic thumbs will emerge, many enraged spouses will walk by asking "is this really what marriage is about?" as their spouse furiously taps away at their screen ".... but but but... what about the additional weight of brake dust?... That should count for something shouldn't it?"...

love you guys, I'll be in touch when I move to a nice spot with a garage... Life without front axle lift isn't worth living is it? Is it?... GO!!!!

Alex, what ever you say, tell me she hasn't left you. We miss you both.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:34 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You're right about the rust; forgot to mention that. After a wash, dirty/rusty water spins out of the vented cast iron rotors onto your nice clean wheels if you aren't very careful about rinsing and then drying them out which in itself is a minor but annoying and time consuming PITA. No such issues with PCCB's.

At our GT3 owner's tech session in Atlanta we were told that the latest Gen III ceramic brakes were much more durable than the previous model for all uses, including track. All relative, of course....
Wow, people actually wash their GT3's??? I just wax off the rubber marks is all??
Old 07-09-2015, 12:40 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts
Default PCCB vs Steel - Apologies

Originally Posted by bronson7
Alex, what ever you say, tell me she hasn't left you. We miss you both.
Don't be crazy.. There's just a bit more pressure now to stay away from more toys as she wants a a few carats of highly compressed carbon molecules on her finger... argh!

Last edited by CAlexio; 07-09-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:51 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by est8esq
Wow, people actually wash their GT3's??? I just wax off the rubber marks is all??
Yeah, crazy right?

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-09-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:52 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
If I had to guess, I'd say that steel will have higher relative resale simply because folks don't have to worry about the PCCB being worn / needing replacement and potentially incurring a huge cost.
That, the PCCB being worn or not, I would guess is an easily resolved or resolvable issue for @ $300.

Either the seller, or the purchaser as part of their PP! could agree to just have the PCCB rotors measured by a dealership, or anyone else with the required tool?
Old 07-09-2015, 03:10 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Interesting points. I still question how "good enough of a driver" one needs to be to realize a benefit from removing 35-40 lbs of dead, and in this case, unsprung weight but that horse has been beaten senseless already.

. . . . .
Heck, if just removing 40+/- lbs of rotating, un-sprung weight is the goal, one can do that with a set of after-market wheels.

The bathroom scales at 3Zero3 claim I've dropped @ 12-13lbs off each front tire assembly (tire+rim) in the front, and @ 8-9lbs off the rear with Forgeline's 19" supposedly PCCB clearing rims; and I believe if one is sticking to 20" rims, the fancy OZ Superleggera forged rims on Tirerack's site claim a 5 to ?? lbs per rim advantage over the OEM, and the really, really pricey but awfully hot and sexy looking BBS "FI-R" pictured in the advert pg 7 of the latest September 2015 issue of Excellence may be even lighter still. As a most non-wear item, fit once, never have to replace again 40+ lbs savings.

YMMV, but that's another answer to the wheel weight arguments.

Whoops, not the "cheap" Ultraleggera's, but rather the more exotic OZ Superforgiata CenterLocks at @ $2,000+ per rim.

Last edited by mlpor; 07-09-2015 at 03:15 PM. Reason: wrong wheel reference
Old 07-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mlpor
Heck, if just removing 40+/- lbs of rotating, un-sprung weight is the goal, one can do that with a set of after-market wheels.

The bathroom scales at 3Zero3 claim I've dropped @ 12-13lbs off each front tire assembly (tire+rim) in the front, and @ 8-9lbs off the rear with Forgeline's 19" supposedly PCCB clearing rims; and I believe if one is sticking to 20" rims, the fancy OZ Superleggera forged rims on Tirerack's site claim a 5 to ?? lbs per rim advantage over the OEM, and the really, really pricey but awfully hot and sexy looking BBS "FI-R" pictured in the advert pg 7 of the latest September 2015 issue of Excellence may be even lighter still. As a most non-wear item, fit once, never have to replace again 40+ lbs savings.

YMMV, but that's another answer to the wheel weight arguments.

Whoops, not the "cheap" Ultraleggera's, but rather the more exotic OZ Superforgiata CenterLocks at @ $2,000+ per rim.
Whether one wants to achieve weight loss with smaller diameter and exotic aftermarket wheels or lighter brakes is a matter of personal choice. There are advantages to going either way, and if it's in your budget you could do both. The point is, losing the weight is a benefit.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-09-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,526 Likes on 5,055 Posts

If you can afford the PCCBs (initial cost and possible replacement costs), get them.

If you can't afford the PCCBs, don't take up Internet bandwidth justifying why PCCBs are not worth the extra money.

#SMH
Old 07-09-2015, 06:26 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Whether one wants to achieve weight loss with smaller diameter and exotic aftermarket wheels or lighter brakes is a matter of personal choice. There are advantages to going either way, and if it's in your budget you could do both. The point is, losing the weight is a benefit.
For roughly about the $9,200 option cost of PCCB's, one could go steels, plus https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-in-stock.html

According to BBS-USA, the Front 9x20" are running @ 17.4 lbs each; & the rear 12x20's, @ 20.5 lbs. BBS didn't have figure for the OEM wheel weights.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:42 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

For roughly about the $9,200 option cost of PCCB's, one could go steels, plus https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-in-stock.html

According to BBS-USA, the Front 9x20" are running @ 17.4 lbs each; & the rear 12x20's, @ 20.5 lbs. BBS didn't have figure for the OEM wheel weights.
Oh yes, those would look great covered in brake dust... Oh sorry. Couldn't resist
Old 07-09-2015, 10:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I get it. Like I said, there are advantages to lighter wheels and there are advantages to lighter brakes. The key word there is lighter.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:19 AM
mlpor
Instructor

Don't be crazy.. There's just a bit more pressure now to stay away from more toys as she wants a a few carats of highly compressed carbon molecules on her finger... argh!
Careful, too much compression, I hear, leaves dust, followed by rust.
Nothing, one has to hope, a really good waxing can't fix.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:14 AM
2006Z06
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If you can afford the PCCBs (initial cost and possible replacement costs), get them.

If you can't afford the PCCBs, don't take up Internet bandwidth justifying why PCCBs are not worth the extra money.

#SMH
lol...this should have been post No. 2 and the thread should have closed at that point...
Old 07-11-2015, 01:47 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Quick Reply: PCCB vs Steel - Apologies