Sponsored by:

PCCB vs Steel - Apologies

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
We are clearly on opposite camps and will never convince each other one way or another, which is fine.

I am willing, however, to put down money that you are no faster on your selected autocross course on pccb vs. iron. Just a friendly bet that really isn't logistically possible!
Convince, no.....just trading thoughts.

As for the wager, we'll never know. But I missed TTOD a couple of months ago by 45/1000 sec. Heck, never mind 40 lbs, I think it might have made a difference if I had just skipped lunch!

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-03-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:13 PM
NYCone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to lock the build today.

I went PCCBs. In the end, it was more about having had iron on my current 991 GT3, and never having tried PCCBs. I thought I'd run the scientific experiment and have one with and one without PCCBs.

By way of explanation, I've been on so many lists to get a new GT3, I can't even keep them straight. I got tired of hoping and I bought a pre-owned well spec'ed 2015 about 2 months ago. Right after I got it, I came up on a 2016 list for a new car. I'll keep the 2015 until the 2016 is delivered.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCone
I had to lock the build today.

I went PCCBs. In the end, it was more about having had iron on my current 991 GT3, and never having tried PCCBs. I thought I'd run the scientific experiment and have one with and one without PCCBs.

By way of explanation, I've been on so many lists to get a new GT3, I can't even keep them straight. I got tired of hoping and I bought a pre-owned well spec'ed 2015 about 2 months ago. Right after I got it, I came up on a 2016 list for a new car. I'll keep the 2015 until the 2016 is delivered.
Was Lava Orange an option?
Old 07-03-2015, 10:39 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I think you guys might be missing Pete's point. It's not about the final calculated weight difference. It's about the ability to feel the difference. A worn down set a of tires roughly equates to the benefit of unsprung mass loss from PCCB. Can anybody here honestly say that the lighter weight from worn tires transforms the car? I, for one, can't tell the difference.
I guarantee that for a given unsprung weight, new tires with PCCB vs worn tires with iron rotors transform the car
Old 07-03-2015, 11:17 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,526 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Anyone have thoughts on whether the Front Axle Lift is necessary?

Just curious.

#DeadHorseFlogged
Old 07-03-2015, 11:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Anyone have thoughts on whether the Front Axle Lift is necessary?

Just curious.

#DeadHorseFlogged
You're a bad man, ipse.....
Old 07-04-2015, 02:12 AM
NYCone
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mech33
Was Lava Orange an option?
Yes, but not my taste. A 6 month delay if chosen.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:18 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Convince, no.....just trading thoughts. As for the wager, we'll never know. But I missed TTOD a couple of months ago by 45/1000 sec. Heck, never mind 40 lbs, I think it might have made a difference if I had just skipped lunch!
No Mike, it was that thick,heavy Red paint!
Old 07-04-2015, 03:34 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by doubleurx
No Mike, it was that thick,heavy Red paint!
It had to have been the lunch, Nick. Didn't I mention that I ordered the optional ultra-lightweight Porsche carbon ceramic paint (PCCP)? Pricey, but MUCH lighter than stock; I can really feel the difference.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:47 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

All this anti PCCB drama, based off what data regarding longevity during track use? If ANYONE has actually replaced their PCCB's with heavy track use, how many sets of pads where you able to go through before the rotors were done? If that question can or has been answered, conclusions could be made if they are worth it from a track use perspective. If it has, please link me, I'm very interested as I track my car with my PCCB's and I'm eager to know.
And this is in regards to gen 3 PCCB's on our 991 gt3's, not previous versions.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:08 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
All this anti PCCB drama, based off what data regarding longevity during track use? If ANYONE has actually replaced their PCCB's with heavy track use, how many sets of pads where you able to go through before the rotors were done? If that question can or has been answered, conclusions could be made if they are worth it from a track use perspective. If it has, please link me, I'm very interested as I track my car with my PCCB's and I'm eager to know.
And this is in regards to gen 3 PCCB's on our 991 gt3's, not previous versions.
It's a great question and as we 991 PCCB track guys are still just working out the kinks that remains to be seen. After around 10 track days my pads and rotors are still well within limits no changes needed. The question is when will they go and how bad will the damage be? we still don't know. The weight is an issue, how big? eh don't really know. There is no doubt the new PCCBs are holding up much better than previous generations yet we still have few options for switching rotors or even just pads. Steel guys still have a lot of options. Having tried the steels and PCCBs and steels on the 991 Cup I have to say I really liked the feel on the cup brakes and would love to have a similar setup for my GT3 or RS when it arrives. What are the chances that I will be able to do that with the PCCBs? Virtually nil, I mean we are still waiting on the official Porsche steel switch out system initially promised right? So steels afford a lot more options for aftermarket change if needed. I also thought the steels would allow for more wheel options but with the 21s in the rear on the RS I don't see that being an option. This really is the first season with the new generation PCCBs and as of now they are working really great. But when they go will they go predictably or quick and then bam new rotors needed. We just haven't the data yet. I feel like steel offers you more options for replacement both rotors and pads. I'm not a good enough driver to worry about the 37 or whatever pounds weight savings so I am going with steels on the RS
Old 07-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Tre
Racer

Originally Posted by race7117
It's a great question and as we 991 PCCB track guys are still just working out the kinks that remains to be seen. After around 10 track days my pads and rotors are still well within limits no changes needed. The question is when will they go and how bad will the damage be? we still don't know. The weight is an issue, how big? eh don't really know. There is no doubt the new PCCBs are holding up much better than previous generations yet we still have few options for switching rotors or even just pads. Steel guys still have a lot of options. Having tried the steels and PCCBs and steels on the 991 Cup I have to say I really liked the feel on the cup brakes and would love to have a similar setup for my GT3 or RS when it arrives. What are the chances that I will be able to do that with the PCCBs? Virtually nil, I mean we are still waiting on the official Porsche steel switch out system initially promised right? So steels afford a lot more options for aftermarket change if needed. I also thought the steels would allow for more wheel options but with the 21s in the rear on the RS I don't see that being an option. This really is the first season with the new generation PCCBs and as of now they are working really great. But when they go will they go predictably or quick and then bam new rotors needed. We just haven't the data yet. I feel like steel offers you more options for replacement both rotors and pads. I'm not a good enough driver to worry about the 37 or whatever pounds weight savings so I am going with steels on the RS
Forgive my simplicity, but can PCCBs not be replaced with iron at some point? If not, is it because of pads? Or calipers? If the latter, does that mean rotors, pads and calipers would have to be replaced all at once?
Old 07-04-2015, 10:31 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

talking about worn rubber negating the difference is a bit silly, the rubber will wear on a PCCB equipped car too
Old 07-04-2015, 10:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default PCCB vs Steel - Apologies

Originally Posted by Tre
Forgive my simplicity, but can PCCBs not be replaced with iron at some point? If not, is it because of pads? Or calipers? If the latter, does that mean rotors, pads and calipers would have to be replaced all at once?
Pccb can be replaced with iron rotors, which is what many have done with the 987 and 997, including myself. I believe RB makes iron replacement rotors for pccb on the 991.

Originally Posted by bigkraig
talking about worn rubber negating the difference is a bit silly, the rubber will wear on a PCCB equipped car too
That wasn't the point...
Old 07-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Tre
Racer

Pccb can be replaced with iron rotors, which is what many have done with the 987 and 997, including myself. I believe RB makes iron replacement rotors for pccb on the 991.
Thanks for the response. I currently have the PCCBs spec'd but have been on the fence for awhile. There's something that screams exotic about CCBs which is one of the reasons I'm drawn to them, which is definitely not a rationale justification

Quick Reply: PCCB vs Steel - Apologies