Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB vs Steel - Apologies

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:45 AM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Purely subjective. If you'll enjoy the durability of the standard brakes, get 'em. If you'll only be happy with the lightweight, dust-free but costlier PCCBs, get 'em. You can't go wrong with either one.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,685 Likes on 2,336 Posts

u ask 10 ppl you likely get 50/50 split. my answer will not help you either.
my left side will be cast iron
my right side will be pccb
i am not kidding.

collectors usually want pccb
trackers often take iron

pccb has no dust
iron not too much more dust if you use right pads

pccb has sharp bite, some like it some dont.

each has benefit
Old 07-03-2015, 03:29 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Agree that PCCB doesn't offer a resale premium. It's not a detractor or deterrent.
Obviously, many people are willing to pay a premium for the benefits of PCCB's on a new car so why wouldn't those same people be willing to pay a premium for PCCB's on a used one?

I ordered PCCB's so that I, not the next owner, could enjoy their benefits and I don't expect to get all of my $9K back. OTOH, I don't think one can make a blanket statement that they will be worth nothing at resale time. While the market for PCCB's may be smaller than the one for CI brakes it certainly exists and, for the right buyer, will make a difference just like they did for me.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:06 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A second set of GT3 wheels costs about the same as PCCB. Brake dust Shmake dust!....sorry, drinking!
Old 07-03-2015, 04:32 AM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloopy
I would not buy the steel braked car at any price.
U'd better buy it new then. If I am shopping a used car with pccb I will be thinking how much lift left with the rotors. people are track these cars.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:32 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I, only seriously considered pccb cars when doing my car shopping fwiw
Old 07-03-2015, 04:39 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I, only seriously considered pccb cars when doing my car shopping fwiw
Yes, but you're crazy!...
Old 07-03-2015, 07:40 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 634 Likes on 303 Posts

Having seen previous Gen PCCB cars be nightmares with only moderate tracking in the heat of So Florida, I never even remotely considered getting a PCCB car. At PBIR I've seen so many yellows go up in dust with the repeated hard braking down the back straight. The new ones seem better but haven't really proven themselves to me for frequent trackers.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 426 Likes on 181 Posts

I have a TTS 14, 24 k on car 20+ track days on third set of pads.
Absolutely no issues with PCCBs.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:21 AM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Stop using OEM pads. PFC11 and Ferodo DS1.11 leave minimal dust with my car.
OJ, thanks for the feedback. Ferodo is not for street use correct?
Old 07-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
pccb has sharp bite, some like it some dont.

each has benefit
Was talking to an instructor from the PEC the other day. He made this exact point. He indicated that he likes the pedal feel of the cast iron. I am guessing that you probably get used to whatever you have.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:51 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
A second set of GT3 wheels costs about the same as PCCB. Brake dust Shmake dust!....sorry, drinking!
Have another...
Old 07-03-2015, 10:55 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloopy
I would not buy the steel braked car at any price.
What about a cast iron one?
Old 07-03-2015, 12:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Obviously, many people are willing to pay a premium for the benefits of PCCB's on a new car so why wouldn't those same people be willing to pay a premium for PCCB's on a used one?

I ordered PCCB's so that I, not the next owner, could enjoy their benefits and I don't expect to get all of my $9K back. OTOH, I don't think one can make a blanket statement that they will be worth nothing at resale time. While the market for PCCB's may be smaller than the one for CI brakes it certainly exists and, for the right buyer, will make a difference just like they did for me.
Unless I preface with IMO, I'm not the type to make blanket statement without some sort of data to back it up. If you look into the used Porsche market (not the current 991 GT3 market which is only in it's infancy), historically, the less options you have on the car, the better the percentage return in the end. Once cars have actual mileage and years on them, the pricing structure is based more off of the original base price of the car and not the fully optioned price. The options that have given back some money in the end are the zero dollar standard options like manual transmission and bucket seats in the RS, spyder and cayman R. Don't do free A/C delete, though. That is a bad choice and will hurt you. LOL.

Originally Posted by odwa
OJ, thanks for the feedback. Ferodo is not for street use correct?
Ferodo work fine on the street, but will make noise, so that can be annoying.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:31 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCone
I have a GT3 now with cast iron and yellow painted calipers. The cosmetic aspect is easily done.

I guess I'm curious about aftermarket pads. If PCCB is really not worth a premium at resale, it seems like iron is smarter for the use of other pads.

Finally, my initial attraction to PCCB was getting the "best" technology. However, it seems the advantage is marginal, and the cost of ownership large. If folks were saying "You'll get the $9200 back at sale." that would be interesting. It seems like no real advatage with a $9200 loss.
"marginal" is a subjective term I guess... have you driven both?

obviously there is nothing wrong with the iron brakes, Porsche standard brakes have set the benchmark for many years and I never had problems with the iron brakes on other Porsches, including my last GT3. But after experiencing them on the 991 GT3, not sure I could ever go back, I love the high up instant bite, the no brake dust, and knowing I have shed 40lbs of unsprung weight..
individual decision for sure about what is marginal and what is not, 9k is a lot of $, no doubt about that... but I would never order another new Porsche without them... if I was shopping resale market for a Porsche and I found the perfect car with iron brakes, I would buy... but all things equal if I had two to choose from with identical spec, condition, etc. I would buy the PCCB car...

Quick Reply: PCCB vs Steel - Apologies