Sponsored by:

PCCB vs Steel - Apologies

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 05:56 PM
NYCone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006Z06
lol...this should have been post No. 2 and the thread should have closed at that point...
I started this thread - with apologies. I assure you it was earnest. I am new to Porsches, my first was my GT3 I got about 6 weeks ago with 2700 miles. It has iron brakes. I never drove a Porsche before that moment, and obviously never one with PCCBs.

Ironically, right after I bought my 2015, I got a 2016 allocation. I can pick what I desire. One can read the iron vs PCCB threads, but they tend to focus on tracking issues, outside my interest. I was trying to figure out the financial risk of trying them out on the 2016.

I've actually flip/flopped a few times with the configuration. In the end (a few days ago, I decided to try them out. I'll briefly have two GT3s,one with iron and one with PCCB. I will be selling the 2015 after I get the 2016, but I'll have it long enough to do a head to head on the suburban CA streets.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:00 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well done, you won't regret the yellow ones.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Well done, you won't regret the yellow ones.
+1
Old 07-12-2015, 01:09 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If you can afford the PCCBs (initial cost and possible replacement costs), get them.

If you can't afford the PCCBs, don't take up Internet bandwidth justifying why PCCBs are not worth the extra money.

#SMH
Originally Posted by 2006Z06
lol...this should have been post No. 2 and the thread should have closed at that point...
Ridiculous. I can afford either quite easily, and still I had to decide which I wanted.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:45 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Agree. I think the thread starter was asking more on longer term prospective than just the impact of initial buying cost difference, or there will be no so many threads for the same topic, nor this may be the last one…

With the availability of pccb stock replacement iron rotors* offered by RacingBrake, it shall make the decision a little easier.

Get pccb now, enjoy the benefit of the newest technology. If you want to preserve them for future resale value, or lower your maintenance cost, or like to try the performance difference between them switch to iron rotors. One set of back up brake is always a good idea to have.

Last edited by RacingBrake; 07-13-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Or if they wear out then maybe you just can refurbish them:

http://www.carbonceramicbrake.com

As I see it: PCCB's perfect on street: No dust, and since you really don't brake (compared to driving on a track) they will probably last for ever.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:16 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Agree. I think the thread starter was asking more on longer term prospective than just the impact of initial buying cost difference, or there will be no so many threads for the same topic, nor this may be the last one…

With the availability of pccb stock replacement iron rotors* offered by RacingBrake, it shall make the decision a little easier.

Get pccb now, enjoy the benefit of the newest technology. If you want to preserve them for future resale value, or lower your maintenance cost, or like to try the performance difference between them switch to iron rotors. One set of back up brake is always a good idea to have.

* Complete four corner rotors $2,970, replacement rings: $845/pair (front or rear)
But stock PCCB are 410mm fronts and yours are 380mm. seems like that would be a lot of work to get them to fit. True?
Old 07-13-2015, 12:55 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Sorry the correct link for 410/390 is here:

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-R...por-irk-03.htm
Old 07-13-2015, 06:43 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry the correct link for 410/390 is here:

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-R...por-irk-03.htm
nice, but a bit more than $2970
Old 07-14-2015, 07:45 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Yeah, but the price difference is still very reasonable comparing to the brake torque gain resulting from rotor size increase (Red and Yellow calipers have the same exact size of pistons), which we don't expect any competition can come up with the iron replacement offer anytime soon.

Why RB is your first choice on CCM or stock iron rotor upgrade source:

RB was the first and only brake company released the "track duty" iron replacement rotor to ZR1 CCM rotors (390/380) about two years ago.

RB was the first in releasing (380/380) for GT3 standard iron brakes and we always make COMPLETE "Front" and "Rear" available at the same time, and our rear is always comes with iron liner for your emergency brakes, unlike others only offers front, and/or the rear is not e-brake compatible.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

and our rear is always comes with iron liner for your emergency brakes, unlike others only offers front, and/or the rear is not e-brake compatible.
Can you name *any* 991 GT3 rear rotor manufacturers whose rotors are NOT e-brake compatible?
Old 07-16-2015, 02:18 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

We rather just to inform consumers about our rear brake design than disclosing other competitions' integrity, and it's buyers' own discretion and risk to find out and decide from different suppliers about this feature before they decide.

A responsible brake supplier like Brembo, usually disclosed this incompatability in their rear brake kits and tell user to delete the drum/hand brake functionality unless the rear hat is made of one piece cast iron (like GT-R OE rear)

It's up to other brake suppliers to substantiate their own claim in meeting the emergency brake compatibility.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 655 Likes on 366 Posts

Hello Gents,
I want to clear up any confusion about our REAR Essex/AP Racing two-piece disc solutions. All Essex/AP Racing rear discs that we make for various Porsche models are compatible with the OEM parking brake.

Notice that I said parking brake, which is what we call it, what Porsche calls it, and what it really is. Most manufacturers don't refer to it as an "emergency" brake anymore, because that's not really what its intended function is. The job of the parking brake is to help hold the vehicle in place while it is at rest.

Below is an excerpt from Porsche's own literature on the 991...click here to see it on the Porsche website.

Electric parking brake

The electric parking brake, which you can activate and deactivate manually, releases automatically as you pull away. With the hill-hold function, you can pull away without ever rolling back. The system automatically detects when the vehicle has come to a halt on an uphill gradient requiring intervention. PSM then maintains the brake pressure at all four wheels to prevent the vehicle from moving in the opposite direction.
A few points:

We do not use an iron rear hat or iron liner on our Essex/AP Racing discs because it is excessively heavy, expensive, and unnecessary. Our solution is hard anodizing. Hard anodizing adds a bit of extra durability to the part, but even that is overkill. Would an iron hat be more durable if you're pressing the parking brake lining against a spinning disc? Absolutely. But we're talking about holding a stationary car in place, not old-school, WRC-style, lever yanking to rotate the car...which isn't even possible on the 991, because it has a parking brake button as described above, not a lever! If you want to go on the Formula D pro drift circuit, then yes, you may want to investigate iron rear hats. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a concern.

Okay...I was thinking about this more, so I just went and pulled the OEM 991 GT3 disc out of our engineering archives. The OEM rear hat on the 991 GT3 disc is aluminum! It's not even coated, so our hard anodized rear disc hats will actually exceed the OEM spec in terms of durability. Obviously Porsche isn't concerned about the safety of using aluminum!

Just to verify I tried sticking a magnet to the hat...it's most definitely aluminum.
        Here's the video evidence on our FB page.

RacingBrake even showed the same exact OEM rear disc back in January in this thread, and verified that the hats were aluminum.

I'm not sure what is trying to be accomplished here, but the bottom line is that this is much ado about nothing.
        Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
        Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
        Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
        704-824-6030
        jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 07-16-2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added info and video link
        Old 07-16-2015, 11:36 AM
        mlpor
        Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
        Hello Gents,
        I want to clear up any confusion . . . .

{massive snip}

I'm not sure what is trying to be accomplished here, but the bottom line is that this is much ado about nothing.
        Thanks Jeff for the clarification. Your words are Shakespear-ean. Can you tell me if Ferrodo makes a track brake pad suitable for use with the Ceramic Rotors? If so, will it also work as street pad; do you handle it and what's its availability in the USA market? Cheers
        Old 07-16-2015, 11:38 AM
        CAlexio
        Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts
        Default PCCB vs Steel - Apologies

All my predictions have come true.. Heavy hitters discussing complexities like "brake torque gain"... and wars over "emergency vs parking".. yep folks.. It's the annual "pccb vs steel thread" + apologies. (That last word identifying this years thread as being more Canadian in provenance)

Quick Reply: PCCB vs Steel - Apologies