Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reference Guide to PTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 03:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

It was such a relief when I gave up on PTS BS, decides that UV is different enough, same as you if I want to change something I will do it after I get the car.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:17 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It was such a relief when I gave up on PTS BS, decides that UV is different enough, same as you if I want to change something I will do it after I get the car.
Right there with you.

Still, it's a bit heartbreaking to someone who loves certain PTS colors to keep getting slapped down like this. It shouldn't be this hard to give PAG my money.

UV might not even be available to me when I finally get an allocation, based on the rumors flying around about UV's stop sale after December (?).

Either way, I'll be fine with Lava Orange. But it's definitely not even close to my top preference.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:29 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

Seems like they just don't have the scale to deal with PTS demand. Dealer told me they have two PTS paint "booths" that handle everything. A lot of logistics go into managing that, and with a surge they just can't handle it. I expect they will sort it out, but look for prices that look like a premium to what BMW charges for Individual paints ($5500 and up, although runs much more smoothly.)
Old 07-09-2015, 04:33 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Price premiums for PTS are already comparable to BMW Individual. In fact, I'm surprised it's only $5500 for the GT3 RS, considering it was $8250 to PTS a 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0.

I still don't see why it's more difficult to paint a car PTS Signal Green than it is to paint it Lava Orange.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:43 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

They have a limit to how many colors are available on the production line, so special arrangements need to be made to other colors.

I thought the prices were lower for the .1GT3, thanks for correcting.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:49 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Didn't they just rebuild the paint facility at the factory? Seems weird that they can only paint an RS in White/Silver/ Lava.

This is not a problem a premier car manufacture should have 2015..........
Old 07-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default PTS...

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
It's ironic, but I really don't see why using a different paint in the paint gun would be this difficult.
Originally Posted by signes
Seems like they just don't have the scale to deal with PTS demand. Dealer told me they have two PTS paint "booths" that handle everything. A lot of logistics go into managing that, and with a surge they just can't handle it. I expect they will sort it out, but look for prices that look like a premium to what BMW charges for Individual paints ($5500 and up, although runs much more smoothly.)
They have a limit to how many colors are available on the production line, so special arrangements need to be made to other colors.
Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Didn't they just rebuild the paint facility at the factory? Seems weird that they can only paint an RS in White/Silver/ Lava.
This is not a problem a premier car manufacture should have 2015..........
I don't believe that is the problem, gentlemen. I think it's related to the outsourcing of key interior & exterior components of the gt3 and gt3 RS to vendors which paint their particular parts at their own facilities. If Porsche could source all parts for their gt3s at Zuffenhausen & could paint them all at their state-of-the-art paint facilities, you would never see this example at their parking lot:

This only comes about when you have a failure in 'just in time' and 'just in sequence' logistics. I have tried to explain this before here on Rennlist. And I will double check with 'Porsche Exclusive' next week when I am with them in Zuffenhausen to get their exact explanation as to where/what is the problem in fulfilling PTS demand on the 991 gt3 RS. So we will keep you all hopefully informed!

Price premiums for PTS are already comparable to BMW Individual. In fact, I'm surprised it's only $5500 for the GT3 RS, considering it was $8250 to PTS a 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0.
I thought the prices were lower for the .1GT3, thanks for correcting.
I believe PTS was US$8,190 on the US 2011 gt3 RS 4.0 Limited Edition.

PTS was US$5,500 on the 'regular' US 2010/2011 gt3 RS 3.8.

PTS was US $4,315 in the US 2007/2008 gt3 RS. 'Carrara White' was considered PTS for that model since it was not part of the original 'RS Green/RS Orange/Silver/Black' color offerings. 'Carrara White' was the only PTS allowed on the .1 997 gt3 RS. We have come a long way, baby!

'RS Green' & 'RS Orange' were 'special color' on the 2008/2009 RS and its cost was US $3,140.

'Arctic Silver' was an extra cost Metallic at US$690.

'Black' was a N/C $0.00 as a standard color.

I still don't see why it's more difficult to paint a car PTS Signal Green than it is to paint it Lava Orange.
You would not think so, but 'Signal Green', and only 'Signal Green', is indeed more difficult to do than any other color currently offered by Porsche. It requires a special treatment that involves select female workers, which are drafted out of the assembly, and then wearing nothing but bikinis, they hand rub the final coat before the clear is applied! A photo of that 'process' accompanies every 'Signal Green' PTS vehicle. Trust me when I tell you that the extra effort is worth every penny of the $5500 I paid for the 'Signal Green' paint on my gt3!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-09-2015, 07:54 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Hahaha. Eduardo, you rock.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:59 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 234 Posts

Right there with you.

Still, it's a bit heartbreaking to someone who loves certain PTS colors to keep getting slapped down like this. It shouldn't be this hard to give PAG my money.

UV might not even be available to me when I finally get an allocation, based on the rumors flying around about UV's stop sale after December (?).

Either way, I'll be fine with Lava Orange. But it's definitely not even close to my top preference.
In the same boat
PTS preferred
Then UV
Then Lava Orange/White
But really don't want lava orange or white.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:02 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by poofyo101
In the same boat
PTS preferred
Then UV
Then Lava Orange/White
But really don't want lava orange or white.

Sadly, it's a carless boat.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:02 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default More input...

Repost from the 'Consolidated 991 RS' thread but which is relevant to our discussion:

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I haven't heard anything more about PTS in Europe. But visited my dealer in Sweden a couple of weeks back to look at some colors and they informed me that UV is definitely coming to an end in November. Hopefully they can find a way to sort this PTS thing out. It really brings another dimension to these cars with PTS, and I really appreciate all the info you post here. Color is fun.
Color is indeed fun. Thanks for your post 997rs4.0!

Originally Posted by plasticsdoc
Eduardo I spoke with my dealer yesterday about the status of my car, as I thought the window for change was 07/07 for november delivery and september build. He informed me that porsche had extended the window for change until september however interestingly moved delivery to dealer up to late October. Dealer also told me paint to sample window was closed except Black and a blue, that seemed odd. He also mentioned that push back on paint to sample was six weeks. Also reiterated no more allocations and cited supply chain and that limited capacity of all "GT" cars were an issue stopping further allocations, he mentioned the need to ramp up GT4 production. However, yes he did say PTS with the two color exceptions was closed.
We have also heard 'Racing Yellow' added to 'Black' & some sort of 'Blue'. Some think it's 'Maritime'. Others report it's 'Mexico Blue'. I would think the latter since that is a more popular & requested PTS color! The other two are standard no cost colors on the 991 gt3 & other Porsche models...but will be available as PTS for $5500 on the 991 gt3 RS!

Thanks for your post Doc!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-10-2015, 12:46 AM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Repost from the 'Consolidated 991 RS' thread but which is relevant to our discussion:

Color is indeed fun. Thanks for your post 997rs4.0!

We have also heard 'Racing Yellow' added to 'Black' & some sort of 'Blue'. Some think it's 'Maritime'. Others report it's 'Mexico Blue'. I would think the latter since that is a more popular & requested PTS color! The other two are standard no cost colors on the 991 gt3 & other Porsche models...but will be available as PTS for $5500 on the 991 gt3 RS!

Thanks for your post Doc!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
The new blue is Miami Blue (IMO looks to be an old VW color)
Old 07-10-2015, 12:58 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
The new blue is Miami Blue. An old VW color
Very interesting, if true! I remember discussing "Miami blue" back in January in the Consolidated RS thread (starting post #3003 https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...hread-201.html).

Originally Posted by <3mph

The new ones are:
Lavaorange (mentioned above)
Miamiblau M5C 2014-2016
Nachtblau met M5F 2015-2016
("Midnight Blue" metallic vs the pearl version).
Does this mean that there may be a blue colour coming on the RS??
Until now, I thought this lead on Miamiblau M5C was just a red herring, even though the other new colour (Lava orange) did materialize as expected. This would be a very unusual development if it made its debut as a new PTS colour on the RS! Strange that it has not been seen before on any other car, or in any other PTS list, though. Thanks for the news! I'm curious to see how this unfolds...

Old 07-10-2015, 01:06 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Say what? 'Miami Blau'?

Originally Posted by <3mph
Very interesting, if true! I remember discussing "Miami blue"...Until now, I thought this lead on Miamiblau M5C was just a red herring, even though the other new colour (Lava orange) did materialize as expected. This would be a very unusual development if it made its debut as a new PTS colour on the RS! Strange that it has not been seen before on any other car, or in any other PTS list, though. Thanks for the news! I'm curious to see how this unfolds...

It will not unfold well, especially when you are closing down PTS & then announce your 'new' 1970's VW Rabbit color on your performance flagship model!

You must be kidding me!

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/01/14/...swagen-rabbit/

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
It will not unfold well, especially when you are closing down PTS & then announce your 'new' 1970's VW Rabbit color on your performance flagship model!

You must be kidding me!
Maybe it's not the same as VW Miamiblau L51C? Hopefully it turns out to be a new formulation of a great historic Porsche colour (like Lava orange from Blutorange) and share nothing in common with the old VW colour, apart from a coincidental name? Maybe it's a new Krystal blau, or a new Meissen blau, or something along those lines? But I agree with you, to borrow a non-significant (historically, visually, emotionally) colour from another manufacturer (even a "parent" company) would be sad for the RS, and a wasted opportunity. I'm still curious to see what this might be (IF this news is for real)...

Quick Reply: Reference Guide to PTS