991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reference Guide to PTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017 | 11:49 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Eduardo, are you aware of any particularly eccentric requests for PTS feasibility studies? For example, has anyone requested a paint match their wife's eye color etc.? It doesn't matter if the requests were accepted or denied, but I am curious if you ever heard of anything truly noteworthy.
Old 08-08-2017 | 01:27 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

There are some odd colors on the PTS list I have that were denied. Also some interesting ones I can't find I wish I could see (laser green metallic?). Most seem to be VAG/PAG colors with a couple of Lamborghini/BMW colors mixed in. I wish I had a current list to see what else is out there.

And I am being an optimist because, well, why not, but I think 90% no 10% yes seems way off Eduardo. For $13k they can print money because everyone orders the same half a dozen or so PTS colors anyway. At some point a PTS color will outnumber a factory color. Lol. I bet some Porsche person is laughing that maybe the most popular PTS color is from Toyota.
Old 08-08-2017 | 04:42 PM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Originally Posted by evilfij
There are some odd colors on the PTS list I have that were denied. Also some interesting ones I can't find I wish I could see (laser green metallic?). Most seem to be VAG/PAG colors with a couple of Lamborghini/BMW colors mixed in. I wish I had a current list to see what else is out there.

And I am being an optimist because, well, why not, but I think 90% no 10% yes seems way off Eduardo. For $13k they can print money because everyone orders the same half a dozen or so PTS colors anyway. At some point a PTS color will outnumber a factory color. Lol. I bet some Porsche person is laughing that maybe the most popular PTS color is from Toyota.
or from a train wagon somewhere in Switzerland
Old 08-08-2017 | 05:50 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Sensing that the market will support doubling of PTS price, Porsche is no doubt redoubling efforts to ensure they can meet demand. The cost of production is unlikely to have doubled because the 991.2 isn't any more complex to assemble & paint than the 991.1. So, they have essentially found a way to "earn" another $8-10k. If I were them I'd probably make as many as I could too.
Old 08-08-2017 | 06:11 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by brownan
Sensing that the market will support doubling
of PTS price, Porsche is no doubt redoubling
efforts to ensure they can meet demand...
I have my doubts. But hope springs eternal.
We will know soon enough. Let's see how PAG
deals with all of the PTS requests that dealers
have asked for their customers already granted
an allocation for a .2 991 gt3 this Fall (2017).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 08-08-2017 | 08:10 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

^^^Very good Eduardo, looks like a Signal Green Hope sign to me.
Old 08-08-2017 | 08:47 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
I have my doubts. But hope springs eternal.
We will know soon enough. Let's see how PAG
deals with all of the PTS requests that dealers
have asked for their customers already granted
an allocation for a .2 991 gt3 this Fall (2017).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Did you take that photo last fall on I-30 on the way to the Ozarks? I know you were tempted to stop to visit the former president's birthplace.
Old 08-08-2017 | 09:02 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Since we are posting in multiple threads about the same thing- I thought I would chime in here as well with a post I just put in the 'Check in' thread for PTS. Before I do that though I think now is the time to distinguish between that thread and this reference thread.

I started the check in thread as a new thread to consolidate those with current orders and share the experience of ordering PTS. I knew it would get fairly busy and be all about trivial stuff like; am I getting approved or not, so I thought that would be better away from here. Here is all about the things you need to know about PTS, the process, colors, how to do it etc. Unfortunately topics converge all the time and go different directions, so my apologies if sometimes we cover the same thing in the check in thread.

With the apologies out of the way here's is what I posted. Oh and let me add- one of my favorite sayings is: 'Hope is not a strategy'!

Originally Posted by beoliving
From my sources at Exclusive I was told for the current year (so all with an original delivery date 2017) they will have rougly 50 PTS slots globally. I know a couple of confirmed PTS builds in Germany so that would not leave to much for the rest of the world. In Germany, the window for ordering PTS was just open 24h !!! A friend of my got the lucky shot confirmed.... As my is a March 2018 build, I could not order PTS at that window.... too bad!
Originally Posted by sgroer
I have a pretty good cleaning lady inside Porsche now. They said a "handful" of PTS cars will arrive in nov / dec. the remainder in the first few months of next year and it will be "very limited"
This is all beginning to remind me of the whole 991.1 RS production thing. Rumors flying back and forth that this is a very limited model, only 600 for the US, under a 1000 world wide etc, etc. Nothing logical, just rumors, innuendo and conjecture. At the time I predicted and ultimately was proven correct that the production for the US would be 1500 units or more based on past practice and well, logic. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...500-units.html

So, here we are again with another similar scenario. Again I am going to refute all these expert opinions with logic and past practice and make the bold claim that there will be approximately 175 PTS GT3's built in 2018 with more than half coming to North America. Here's why:

1. A small percentage of total production. The total production run of the .2 GT3 will be approximately 4-5,000 units. 175 units produced as PTS will be most likely less than 5% of total production.

2. More than enough capacity. The PTS production window starts for World Wide customers in December (from the list) and runs through June (maybe later we don't know for sure). That is 7 months of production. If one car were to be built for every production day for PTS that is a total of 142 cars. I'm sure that more than one car per day can be built, for sure multiple cars per day. However given other models may share the same custom paint facilities or production planning resources let's just say that 1.25 cars per day can be built as PTS. That gets us to 177 cars available world wide. Yes, very limited.

3. PCNA are not idiots and don't like screwing up peoples orders. Yes, that's right, smart people work in Atlanta. There has been considerable planning going on with this round of allocations to allow PTS to follow a more equitable process. The ZPT ordering process allowed (from every indication I can see) for allocations to be matched up with availability in the PTS production window. If you are at V180 your production allocation has moved to a new date in this window. As we have seen already, if you cancel your PTS order, you may be stuck with a much later production date. Nobody at PCNA wants to mess with customers like that on the hope that "what the hell, give everyone PTS and see what the German's will do!". No, planning is going on behind the scenes now. Does this mean you won't get denied for some other reason? No, but it is unlikely (IMO) to be because of PTS production capacity.

4. OMG! I already have over 30 people on my list with PTS! Yes that's right, see above points. And let's do some guesstimating: I said earlier that I've captured maybe a third of all North American orders, maybe 20%. This is based on 10% of GT3 customers on Rennlist, and double or triple that for PTS GT3 customers since they are such nerdy Porsche enthusiasts that they have to flock here in bigger percentages (like me!). So let's take 20% that means 165 orders total in North America going PTS. 33% is 100 orders total. Let's just say its something in-between- 120-130 total orders for PTS in North America. That sounds about right to me, and doable in the PTS production capacity of 175. That also means more than 70% of PTS production will go to the US. I don't know if that sounds too far off what I see from postings of PTS cars in the ROW. They really seem much more plentiful here.

5. Past practice. 50 cars total available for PTS doesn't even pass the sniff test held up against the total number of 991.1 RS's in PTS in North America. I believe that number is closer to 100 maybe over. I believe there is a color thread somewhere supporting me on this...EDIT Found it! Over 150 PTS RS's in NA:

Originally Posted by Loess
I don't remember how many cars that old number was based on (likely around 700) but based on 1100 cars the numbers are now:

Lava = 31%
White = 21%
UV = 17%
Silver = 16%
PTS = 15%
So there you have it. Some logic to remember while you wait at V180 and all these rumors that seem so factual come flying at you. Keep calm and carry on. Soon all will be revealed.

Last edited by montoya; 08-09-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-08-2017 | 11:24 PM
hayn911gt3
Racer

Originally Posted by montoya
Since we are posting in multiple threads about the same thing- I thought I would chime in here as well with a post I just put in the 'Check in' thread for PTS. Before I do that though I think now is the time to distinguish between that thread and this reference thread.

I started the check in thread as a new thread to consolidate those with current orders and share the experience of ordering PTS. I knew it would get fairly busy and be all about trivial stuff like; am I getting approved or not, so I thought that would be better away from here. Here is all about the things you need to know about PTS, the process, colors, how to do it etc. Unfortunately topics converge all the time and go different directions, so my apologies if sometimes we cover the same thing in the check in thread.

With the apologies out of the way here's is what I posted. Oh and let me add- one of my favorite sayings is: 'Hope is not a strategy'!

This is all beginning to remind me of the whole 991.1 RS production thing. Rumors flying back and forth that this is a very limited model, only 600 for the US, under a 1000 world wide etc, etc. Nothing logical, just rumors, innuendo and conjecture. At the time I predicted and ultimately was proven correct that the production for the US would be 1500 units or more based on past practice and well, logic. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...500-units.html

So, here we are again with another similar scenario. Again I am going to refute all these expert opinions with logic and past practice and make the bold claim that there will be approximately 175 PTS GT3's built in 2018 with more than half coming to North America. Here's why:

1. A small percentage of total production. The total production run of the .2 GT3 will be approximately 4-5,000 units. 175 units produced as PTS will be most likely less than 5% of total production.

2. More than enough capacity. The PTS production window starts for World Wide customers in December (from the list) and runs through June (maybe later we don't know for sure). That is 7 months of production. If one car were to be built for every production day for PTS that is a total of 142 cars. I'm sure that more than one car per day can be built, for sure multiple cars per day. However given other models may share the same custom paint facilities or production planning resources let's just say that 1.25 cars per day can be built as PTS. That gets us to 177 cars available world wide. Yes, very limited.

3. PCNA are not idiots and don't like screwing up peoples orders. Yes, that's right, smart people work in Atlanta. There has been considerable planning going on with this round of allocations to allow PTS to follow a more equitable process. The ZPT ordering process allowed (from every indication I can see) for allocations to be matched up with availability in the PTS production window. If you are at V180 your production allocation has moved to a new date in this window. As we have seen already, if you cancel your PTS order, you may be stuck with a much later production date. Nobody at PCNA wants to mess with customers like that on the hope that "what the hell, give everyone PTS and see what the German's will do!". No, planning is going on behind the scenes now. Does this mean you won't get denied for some other reason? No, but it is unlikely (IMO) to be because of PTS production capacity.

4. OMG! I already have over 30 people on my list with PTS! Yes that's right, see above points. And let's do some guesstimating: I said earlier that I've captured maybe a third of all North American orders, maybe 20%. This is based on 10% of GT3 customers on Rennlist, and double or triple that for PTS GT3 customers since they are such nerdy Porsche enthusiasts that they have to flock here in bigger percentages (like me!). So let's take 20% that means 165 orders total in North America going PTS. 33% is 100 orders total. Let's just say its something in-between- 120-130 total orders for PTS in North America. That sounds about right to me, and doable in the PTS production capacity of 175. That also means more than 70% of PTS production will go to the US. I don't know if that sounds too far off what I see from postings of PTS cars in the ROW. They really seem much more plentiful here.

5. Past practice. 50 cars total available for PTS doesn't even pass the sniff test held up against the total number of 991.1 RS's in PTS in North America. I believe that number is closer to 100 maybe over. I believe there is a color thread somewhere supporting me on this...

So there you have it. Some logic to remember while you wait at V180 and all these rumors that seem so factual come flying at you. Keep calm and carry on. Soon all will be revealed.
Nicely put Andre! Thank you for all the great info.
Old 08-08-2017 | 11:31 PM
beoliving
Instructor

to put a little more into perspektive, my understanding of the roughly 50 PTS cars are for this years allocations. An other cleaning lady mentioned to me their might be an other window for 2018 orders upcoming.

It also looks like to me (as Eduardo pointed out earlier) that the ordering process in the US is quite different. As we only had a 24 hour window open for the dealer to log the order, we also received a confirmation from PAG in a couple of days that they have aceppted the order and color. (however, all builds I am aware of, already approved colors).

These orders are locked now for all extrior parts which have paint on it (so no more PTS niples afterwards....)

An other intersting part of the PTS puzzle is production date. The ones I know will be build in 2017 and have not moved into 2018. But no gurantee here....

so more mystery to the PTS game
Old 08-09-2017 | 12:07 AM
STG
Race Director

PTS is the new HOT jackpot/lottery winner subject lately. Allocation/ADM/Stealer threads are so yesterday. PTS has gone viral.

They increase the $$$, and it's even more desirable. Go figure??

Name:  photo962.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  508.6 KB

Name:  photo4.jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  1.40 MB
Old 08-09-2017 | 01:07 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beoliving
to put a little more into perspektive, my understanding of the roughly 50 PTS cars are for this years allocations. An other cleaning lady mentioned to me their might be an other window for 2018 orders upcoming.

It also looks like to me (as Eduardo pointed out earlier) that the ordering process in the US is quite different. As we only had a 24 hour window open for the dealer to log the order, we also received a confirmation from PAG in a couple of days that they have aceppted the order and color. (however, all builds I am aware of, already approved colors).

These orders are locked now for all extrior parts which have paint on it (so no more PTS niples afterwards....)

An other intersting part of the PTS puzzle is production date. The ones I know will be build in 2017 and have not moved into 2018. But no gurantee here....

so more mystery to the PTS game
That makes more sense. See, this is how these little bits of information taken out of context blossom into ugly rumors.

From everything I can see PTS production window starts this year maybe as early as October for European customers and continues through to June at least. There are at least 50 production days from October to December so back to my 1.25 per day, easily 50 or so PTS slots open before the end of the year if it starts sometime in October, and ends sometimes before December 15. Also, if you are in Europe, I think a lot of the PTS production in 2018 is already reserved for ROW customers, mostly PCNA (70% from my educated guess above), so the small availability in 2018 is probably correct for Europe.

Thanks for the clarification, and let me know if you put a PTS order in!
Old 08-09-2017 | 02:08 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Really?

Since we are posting in multiple threads about the
same thing- I thought I would chime in here as well
with a post I just put in the 'Check in' thread for PTS.
Before I do that though I think now is the time to
distinguish between that thread and this reference
thread.

I started the check in thread as a new thread to
consolidate those with current orders and share
the experience of ordering PTS. I knew it would
get fairly busy and be all about trivial stuff like;
am I getting approved or not, so I thought that
would be better away from here. Here is all about
the things you need to know about PTS, the process,
colors, how to do it etc. Unfortunately topics converge
all the time and go different directions, so my
apologies if sometimes we cover the same thing
in the check in thread.

With the apologies out of the way here's is what
I posted. Oh and let me add- one of my favorite
sayings is: 'Hope is not a strategy'!
With all due respect Andre, my thread & yours
do not have to coincide in goals or opinions!
Anyone is welcome to post their PTS experiences,
thoughts, aspirations & CONCERNS on this thread!
And hopefully you will welcome dissenting voices
at your thread...but that is your business & the
forum moderators to decide how to handle!

This is all beginning to remind me of the whole
991.1 RS production thing. Rumors flying back
and forth that this is a very limited model, only
600 for the US, under a 1000 world wide etc, etc.
Nothing logical, just rumors, innuendo and conjecture.
Really?

So, here we are again with another similar scenario.
Again I am going to refute all these expert opinions
with logic and past practice...
You don't say...

So there you have it. Some logic to remember while
you wait at V180 and all these rumors that seem so
factual come flying at you.
Keep calm and carry on.
Soon all will be revealed.
I hope you are 100% right. But what if you are wrong?
Will you moved to Canada & take Michael Moore with
you?

That makes more sense. See, this is how these little
bits of information taken out of context blossom into
ugly rumors.
It's the internet, Andre. All of us have opinions &
have the right to post them, as long as these are
respectful of others. Who are you to judge &
categorize these 'concerns' about PTS allocations
as 'ugly rumors'?

As your friend, I ask you to please you reconsider
your tone with regards these seemingly 'absolute'
& 'strident' posts! Thank you in advance for the
consideration.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 08-09-2017 | 03:04 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Back to regular programming...

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Eduardo, are you aware of any particularly
eccentric requests for PTS feasibility studies?
For example, has anyone requested a paint
match their wife's eye color etc.? It doesn't
matter if the requests were accepted or denied,
but I am curious if you ever heard of anything
truly noteworthy.

Is 'Paint-to-Sample' at Porsche as advertised!
Are some requests peculiar? You be the judge!

'Pink' is the new 'Black'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 08-09-2017 | 03:14 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
With all due respect Andre, my thread & yours
do not have to coincide in goals or opinions!
Anyone is welcome to post their PTS experiences,
thoughts, aspirations & CONCERNS on this thread!
And hopefully you will welcome dissenting voices
at your thread...but that is your business & the
forum moderators to decide how to handle!

Really?

You don't say...

I hope you are 100% right. But what if you are wrong?
Will you moved to Canada & take Michael Moore with
you?

It's the internet, Andre. All of us have opinions &
have the right to post them, as long as these are
respectful of others. Who are you to judge &
categorize these 'concerns' about PTS allocations
as 'ugly rumors'?

As your friend, I ask you to please you reconsider
your tone with regards these seemingly 'absolute'
& 'strident' posts! Thank you in advance for the
consideration.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Eduardo, I think you take some of my words incorrectly. I try to be respectful to everyone, especially you. My apologies if I offended anyone.

Quick Reply: Reference Guide to PTS