Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

RS Total US Allocations Best Estimate 1200-1500 units

 
Old 03-06-2015, 09:31 PM
  #1  
montoya
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
montoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,104
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS Total US Allocations Best Estimate 1200-1500 units

The consolidated RS thread has now over 400 posts and topics are spread all over, so I thought I would post a separate thread to discuss this topic. Total RS production and US production.

History will say that RS production has been around 80% of total GT3 production. With GT3 production running near 3000 units, that would historically put the RS production run at around 2400-2500 units total. With the US getting a healthy 50% this puts US allocations at around 1200. But I think the strong dollar and healthy US economy compared to the conditions elsewhere will give us a "bonus" allocation of 300 to total more like 1500 units, maybe that will be the "homologation special" near the end of the RS run. Plus, I have not heard anything definitive but I'm sure that there will be a 2016 US RS model to accommodate that many allocations.

Now, this is just opinion and I know there are those close to the factory that may have further speculation or fact. Mine is pure conjecture, but IMHO this is close to reality, they have to have this kind of volume to justify the R&D on the RS and to keep the costs down on the unique parts- low volume equals high part costs, they are already at the high end of pricing for the RS right now.

Finally, yes every dealer will want to play into the limited production theory and rumor and Porsche will stoke those flames for the first allocations to keep the hype and order book full, but then- just like the GT3- we can expect lots of allocations coming in the last two thirds to one half of production.

Fire away with your thoughts and opinions!
montoya is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 09:43 PM
  #2  
NateOZ
Super User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 3,493
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

I think that's about right, less the 200-250 that will go to 918 customers, you end up with 1000 to 1300 for the general public.

My dealer expects about 2-3, vs 5 GT3s they received, so his expectation at 3 seem to match up more towards 1,200 total.
NateOZ is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:58 PM
  #3  
djcxxx
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
djcxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,548
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I also agree, and I am re-thinking my approach to a purchase by waiting a few months and letting the dust settle.
djcxxx is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:59 PM
  #4  
Spyerx
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Spyerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,502
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

with the 997.1 and .2 US/Canada received about 25% of production totals... 50% is a big jump
Spyerx is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 11:15 PM
  #5  
rockitman
Super User
 
rockitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Got Revs ???
Posts: 5,739
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I hope those numbers are correct. That will mean most who want one will get one. My GM told me today that GT4's are hugely in demand. He expects 6-8 cars and they are already spoken for. He only feels confident with 2 RS builds of which I am #2.
rockitman is offline  
Old 03-07-2015, 12:58 AM
  #6  
montoya
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
montoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,104
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Spyerx View Post
with the 997.1 and .2 US/Canada received about 25% of production totals... 50% is a big jump
This is based on 1600 units delivered of the 991 GT3's to US so far, which is 50% of production. It is true that the .2 was only 25% and similar for the .1, but the precedence is now set for higher allocations. Historically if you go back over the years, US has always been the number one export market for Porsche. I think the lower allocations of GT cars in the last 10 years before the 991 GT3 was due to the economy and limited demand for manual only.
montoya is offline  
Old 03-07-2015, 01:01 AM
  #7  
ToyGuyAZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 440
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by montoya View Post
This is based on 1600 units delivered of the 991 GT3's to US so far, which is 50% of production. It is true that the .2 was only 25% and similar for the .1, but the precedence is now set for higher allocations. Historically if you go back over the years, US has always been the number one export market for Porsche. I think the lower allocations of GT cars in the last 10 years before the 991 GT3 was due to the economy and limited demand for manual only.
I know a lot of people in the know at/inPorsche dealerships (owners not sales guys) and not one agrees with posted numbers of 1600 991GT3's being delivered in the US so far (it's far less)... Food for thought. I don't think there will be anywhere near 1200-1500 RS's in the US either. Time will tell
ToyGuyAZ is offline  
Old 03-07-2015, 01:06 AM
  #8  
montoya
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
montoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,104
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ View Post
I know a lot of people in the know at/inPorsche dealerships (owners not sales guys) and not one agrees with posted numbers of 1600 991GT3's being delivered in the US so far (it's far less)... Food for thought. I don't think there will be anywhere near 1200-1500 RS's in the US either. Time will tell
What's this then?https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...b-991-gt3.html

MJones has been posting these stats for years with no challenge. You are the first I have heard to question them. Not saying I vetted them, but the community here would have done so long ago and accepts the report without question. I am assuming it is industry trade report info or directly from PCNA.
montoya is offline  
Old 03-07-2015, 01:12 AM
  #9  
rockitman
Super User
 
rockitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Got Revs ???
Posts: 5,739
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by montoya View Post
What's this then?https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...b-991-gt3.html

MJones has been posting these stats for years with no challenge. You are the first I have heard to question them. Not saying I vetted them, but the community here would have done so long ago and accepts the report without question. I am assuming it is industry trade report info or directly from PCNA.
Wow, thats more than I thought. Thanks MJ.
rockitman is offline  
Old 03-07-2015, 01:27 AM
  #10  
Bandit201
User
 
Bandit201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Anaheim Hills,CA
Posts: 1,112
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

It's great to hear an outside theory. One that is different than what the dealers are saying. I believe you may be on to something and you are basing on past history. Got me thinking. I hope they make enough for everyone to truly enjoy them.
Bandit201 is offline  
Old 03-07-2015, 02:13 AM
  #11  
ToyGuyAZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 440
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by montoya View Post
What's this then?https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...b-991-gt3.html

MJones has been posting these stats for years with no challenge. You are the first I have heard to question them. Not saying I vetted them, but the community here would have done so long ago and accepts the report without question. I am assuming it is industry trade report info or directly from PCNA.
Just because something hasn't been questioned before doesn't make it true Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. How do you know the reports are accurate and where are they are actually coming from? There are always things forum communities are right about and conversely wrong about. If they are from Porsche direct and there's a valid source then great. Has anyone asked that or has everyone just assumed it's true?
ToyGuyAZ is offline  
Old 03-07-2015, 03:25 AM
  #12  
Fowwiee
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 572
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ View Post
Just because something hasn't been questioned before doesn't make it true Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. How do you know the reports are accurate and where are they are actually coming from? There are always things forum communities are right about and conversely wrong about. If they are from Porsche direct and there's a valid source then great. Has anyone asked that or has everyone just assumed it's true?
It doesn't have to come directly from Porsche for it to be valid. Cars are once of the easiest things to track, just look at total reg from the DMV. There are a number of data vendor that provides these stats.
Fowwiee is offline  
Old 03-07-2015, 07:00 AM
  #13  
Jrtaylor9
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC / London
Posts: 2,302
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ View Post
I know a lot of people in the know at/inPorsche dealerships (owners not sales guys) and not one agrees with posted numbers of 1600 991GT3's being delivered in the US so far (it's far less)... Food for thought. I don't think there will be anywhere near 1200-1500 RS's in the US either. Time will tell
Purely anecdotal:

I don't know anyone "in the know" but I've owned a 7.1gt3, 7.1rs and 4.0. As most people do, I always have an eye out for the cars I own/have interest in. In my years of ownership, I've seen on the street, in my immediate area, 2-7.1gt3, 1-7.2rs and 1-4.0 (the 4.0 was at a cars and coffee). Admittedly, I don't live in SoCal where super-cars are dime-a-dozen; I live in Houston. But, I literally see 3 white 991 gt3s parked at my gym every most mornings (same guys obviously). I've seen over a dozen different 991gt3's in various restaurant/retail parking lots. In the inner loop of Houston tx, the 997 gt3 has been a unicorn. the 991, i sometimes see multiple on a given day. I'm sure this could be a hangover effect from recent $100 oil. You might also attribute the increased visibility due to the practicality of 991gt3. But, there's clearly a step change in the amount of 991 gt3s that are floating around my area.
Jrtaylor9 is online now  
Old 03-07-2015, 08:19 AM
  #14  
997rs4.0
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
997rs4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 4,373
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ View Post
I know a lot of people in the know at/inPorsche dealerships (owners not sales guys) and not one agrees with posted numbers of 1600 991GT3's being delivered in the US so far (it's far less)... Food for thought. I don't think there will be anywhere near 1200-1500 RS's in the US either. Time will tell
What numbers does your dealership owners think is accurate then?
It feels like Porsche is confident to meet demand for the 1RS.
I'm not sure they can make a $85k gt4 for everyone that wants one! My guess is they will satisfy 100% of the 1rs market and about 50% of the Gt4 market in the US.
997rs4.0 is offline  
Old 03-07-2015, 08:29 AM
  #15  
Kobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Kobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 4,465
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0 View Post
What numbers does your dealership owners think is accurate then?
It feels like Porsche is confident to meet demand for the 1RS.
I'm not sure they can make a $85k gt4 for everyone that wants one! My guess is they will satisfy 100% of the 1rs market and about 50% of the Gt4 market in the US.

FWIW: My dealer gets 8 RS and 2 GT4.
Kobalt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS Total US Allocations Best Estimate 1200-1500 units


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: