Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:57 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Eduardo, I am the one who took over MDP3's spot. I was waiting for the dealer to confirm my spot this morning since the transaction took place last night, and the sales representative was not at the dealer to change the order. Originally I was buying a used GT3 from a Rennlister, but the seller backed out of the sale, so I was scanning this thread and the ads page to see what else is available. I was interested in the signal green at Porsche of Rancho Mirage and the arena red at Beverly Hills Porsche, but both dealers are asking 20K over MSRP, so I told them no.

By the way, MDP3 was very gracious to give me the spot without any fees, and Alexey at Porsche of Omaha gave me MSRP, so I have high praise for both parties. Alexey gave me a status update of the car, it's currently in production and is estimated to arrive at the dealer on 6/5/15. I am excited!

MDP3 also sent me a picture of a mocked up arena red GT3, and I think it looks great if the actual car looks close to this:

MDP3's mock photo of an arena red GT3
Congratulations to all involved - you, MPD3 and Alexey!

Can you provide us with the last four digits of your VIN # when you can? Thanks.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats hlee1169 and thanks for that picture, it's the first arena red 991 GT3 I've seen even though it's a mock up. It looks amazing.

I too have one of the arena reds coming. My car is also due at the dealer on 6/5. I wonder if Porsche "batched up" these PTSs and will deliver all of them at the same time.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:19 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

can anyone confirm PTS as an option on the 300 2016 GT3's
Old 04-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Another Chapter to the Story (long, sorry!)

Eduardo,

Its amazing how much impact you have on this board, and since you have been documenting so much on PTS I wanted to add to the story.......

You can add me to the list as I'll be picking up the Signal Green Rancho Mirage GT3, VIN 9249.......

Am I now a member of the Signal Green 10?

Or is it the PTS 30?

So here's the story, I totally believe these cars were meant to be produced in a million colors. Every time a new PTS comes along, it always looks great whether green, blue, orange, gray, well you get the picture. That said, given the drama around PTS, I had reserved myself to only buying a "green" through a used purchase or if green was added on as launch or special color that could easily be ordered. (still kicking myself for not buying the signal green 996 turbo on OC Craigslist a few weeks ago, it was just a high price)

So along comes the Club Coupe, and the Club Blau color is really great. But there were 2 problems, first you have to get the email and as of yet I have not, second I already have a widebody 991 S with the powerkit (beautiful non sunroof 7 spd Geyser Grey). I really don't want 2 of the same car, so far in my fleet I have been lucky to acquire cars that are all different in character. But I registered, I read all the posts on Rennlist, even asked if I should trade off the 50th vs the Blau, yada, yada, yada.

Still after round 4 of thinking maybe I'll get the email and looking at the GTS options etc, I figured that the club Blau I would spec would probably push about $150K. That got me thinking what a great value a 991 GT3 is relative to the GTS. If I'm willing to pay $150K for a GTS why am I not buying a GT3 instead? But again it comes back to the color and this PTS thread.

So here's where some of you will not like my choice, but that's OK to each his own. I started looking at this Signal Green GT3 (a color I massively want) that has an MSRP within a couple K of the Club Blau plus a mark up. Now here's where the Porsche logic kicks in, don't tell me you all haven't done this before. So for a buck fifty I can have 1 of 60 GTS cars in a great rare blau (if I get picked) or for another $20K I can have a PTS GT3 in GREEN! My guess is it will be 1 of 25 cars, so better rarity, its a GT car which looking back definitely hold value better, so why am I making this so difficult?

I have purchased many cars at McKenna so I called them up because it wasn't clear they had sold their allocation, but it was spoken for. I started looking for anyone from Rancho here on Rennlist but non existed, so I thought I better find the right person to call. Started digging and low and behold:

It would not surprise me if P of North Houston was transferred the 'Signal Green' gt3 that the Todd Blue organization managed to obtained after I asked them about it on March 7th. As you might all remember, this 'Signal Green' gt3 was originally scheduled to be sold by Porsche of Rancho Mirage / Desert European Motorcars. These two P. dealers are part of the Todd Blue's 'IndiGoAutoGroup'. And as well connected as Todd might be at PCNA, I doubt they would have allocated him TWO 'Signal Green' gt3s! I'll inquire so that we don't do a double count this 'Signal Green' gt3 in our compiled master list.
I figured this out about 2 days before Eduardo posted above. I have read many threads which spoke very highly of Porsche North Houston, so I thought that might the best way to approach this. I looked them up and low and behold I found John at PNH's contact and sent him a PM. Let me first say that working with John has been first rate. The car isn't at his store, he didn't know much about it, but he has worked diligently to take care of me in securing the SG at RM.

This was early last week and what's funny is all these posts about another Signal green start popping up:

I called and they told me they have a signal green coming in but it is now sold. I did not ask at what price but it was to a local customer of theirs.
Eduardo et al, I've heard from a reliable source that Porsche North Houston has an allocation for a PTS GT3 available. No idea on color or pricing. If someone is interested, apparently Roger Gay at the dealership is the person to talk to.
I can just assume that this was a result of me working with PNH to secure the care.

So needless to say, I used my Porsche logic to talk my way into paying more than MSRP and buying a 991.1 GT3 which I had never intended. Now the waiting game comes and I get to geek out on tracking the ship through the Canal. Delivery expected end of May.

Sorry for the long post, happy to be a part of the story of the PTS30!

PS: Eduardo, at some point I owe you a beer if all this works out since your preparation resulted in more than one worm!
Old 04-18-2015, 08:28 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z356
Congratulations to all involved - you, MPD3 and Alexey!

Can you provide us with the last four digits of your VIN # when you can? Thanks.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Sure, already email my sales. Will post after I have it.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:30 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ma991
Congrats hlee1169 and thanks for that picture, it's the first arena red 991 GT3 I've seen even though it's a mock up. It looks amazing.

I too have one of the arena reds coming. My car is also due at the dealer on 6/5. I wonder if Porsche "batched up" these PTSs and will deliver all of them at the same time.
Thanks! Congratulations to you too, I could imagine our cars are being built side by side and could be on the same boat going to Houston, if your dealer is on the east coast.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:40 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Msmatt
Eduardo,

Its amazing how much impact you have on this board, and since you have been documenting so much on PTS I wanted to add to the story.......

You can add me to the list as I'll be picking up the Signal Green Rancho Mirage GT3, VIN 9249.......Sorry for the long post, happy to be a part of the story of the PTS30!

PS: Eduardo, at some point I owe you a beer if all this works out since your preparation resulted in more than one worm!
Congratulations!

Thanks for the post! Great story.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-18-2015, 10:56 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Seams Porsche is capable and ready to produce PTS cars in editions. The Netherlands is the next "lucky dog":

http://www.gtspirit.com/2015/04/17/official-2016-porsche-911-targa-4s-exclusive-edition/
Old 04-19-2015, 10:22 AM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eduardo,

You can add me to the list as I'll be picking up the Signal Green Rancho Mirage GT3, VIN 9249.......

Or is it the PTS 30?

So here's the story, I totally believe these cars were meant to be produced in a million colors. Every time a new PTS comes along, it always looks great whether green, blue, orange, gray, well you get the picture. That said, given the drama around PTS, I had reserved myself to only buying a "green" through a used purchase or if green was added on as launch or special color that could easily be ordered. (still kicking myself for not buying the signal green 996 turbo on OC Craigslist a few weeks ago, it was just a high price)

So along comes the Club Coupe, and the Club Blau color is really great. But there were 2 problems, first you have to get the email and as of yet I have not, second I already have a widebody 991 S with the powerkit (beautiful non sunroof 7 spd Geyser Grey). I really don't want 2 of the same car, so far in my fleet I have been lucky to acquire cars that are all different in character. But I registered, I read all the posts on Rennlist, even asked if I should trade off the 50th vs the Blau, yada, yada, yada.

Still after round 4 of thinking maybe I'll get the email and looking at the GTS options etc, I figured that the club Blau I would spec would probably push about $150K. That got me thinking what a great value a 991 GT3 is relative to the GTS. If I'm willing to pay $150K for a GTS why am I not buying a GT3 instead? But again it comes back to the color and this PTS thread.

So here's where some of you will not like my choice, but that's OK to each his own. I started looking at this Signal Green GT3 (a color I massively want) that has an MSRP within a couple K of the Club Blau plus a mark up. Now here's where the Porsche logic kicks in, don't tell me you all haven't done this before. So for a buck fifty I can have 1 of 60 GTS cars in a great rare blau (if I get picked) or for another $20K I can have a PTS GT3 in GREEN! My guess is it will be 1 of 25 cars, so better rarity, its a GT car which looking back definitely hold value better, so why am I making this so difficult?

I have purchased many cars at McKenna so I called them up because it wasn't clear they had sold their allocation, but it was spoken for. I started looking for anyone from Rancho here on Rennlist but non existed, so I thought I better find the right person to call. Started digging and low and behold:

I figured this out about 2 days before Eduardo posted above. I have read many threads which spoke very highly of Porsche North Houston, so I thought that might the best way to approach this. I looked them up and low and behold I found John at PNH's contact and sent him a PM. Let me first say that working with John has been first rate. The car isn't at his store, he didn't know much about it, but he has worked diligently to take care of me in securing the SG at RM.

This was early last week and what's funny is all these posts about another Signal green start popping up:

I can just assume that this was a result of me working with PNH to secure the care.

So needless to say, I used my Porsche logic to talk my way into paying more than MSRP and buying a 991.1 GT3 which I had never intended. Now the waiting game comes and I get to geek out on tracking the ship through the Canal. Delivery expected end of May.

Congrats dude, this is all about what makes us happy. In the long run as car fans, you will remember this car and the experience of owning more than whatever you paid.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Agreed!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Thanks! Congratulations to you too, I could imagine our cars are being built side by side and could be on the same boat going to Houston, if your dealer is on the east coast.
Thanks. I am on the east coast and so is my dealer. I think Rhode Island is the port it will likely come thru.

We should start an Arena Red thread when we actually have something to show.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:22 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Eduardo,

Or is it the PTS 30?

Great story, thank-you for removing the temptation! You don't know how often I thought; I wonder if I could talk them down a little....
Old 04-19-2015, 03:50 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Porsche of Syracuse...Second thoughts on validity of this as 'Signal Green' gt3

I am trying to match vin# to our list of PTS gt3s and I have come to doubt that Porsche of Syracuse in NY State ever had a 'Signal Green' gt3 awarded to them!

Here is the story of how why we originally thought so. We got a report given to one from our group (Sportscentury) by Ralph Pierce of Inside Car Connection that made it appeared as if Porsche of Syracuse had a 'Signal Green' gt3. It was based on this evidence - an ad they had placed on Autotrader & other for sale websites:

Post #168
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...y-gt3s-12.html

I now doubt this 'Light Green' gt3 is a PTS gt3.

A) First & foremost, the vin # sequence is all wrong.

B) I have seen this gt3 now described as 'Lime Gold Metallic' at one website. Since 'Lime Gold Metallic' is one of the least popular colors in Porsche's color history, many dealers have tried to disguised what the had by calling it by other names...and Syracuse went for 'Light Green'.

But here is listed by the dreaded color 'Lime Gold Metallic'...otherwise known as the 'Kiss of Death' hue!

So I am taking the 'Signal Green' at P of Syracuse off our list.

'Signal Green'
Confirmed
1) McKenna - CA (Sold at least $20K over MSRP) 9238
2) Beverly Hills - CA (Sold at markup over MSRP) 9244.
3) Stevinson - CO (Sold) 9251
4) P of Beachwood- OH (Sold at MSRP to Rennlister) 9243
5) P of Bellevue - WA (Sold)
6) P of San Diego - CA (Sold at MSRP to Rennlister)
7) P of Rancho Mirage - CA (Sold at $20K over MSRP to Rennlister) 9249
Reported but not yet confirmed
8) Ellis - GA (They claim they never got one! They may be right).
9) Porsche of the Main Line - PA (They claim they never got one! They may be right)
10) Assigned to a North Carolina customer that is part owner of a Porsche sales & restoration shop. (Sold at MSRP). I personally think this is an extra PTS 'Signal Green' gt3 in addition to the 10 originally allocated to US dealers in the reward program. Need that confirm since it's only speculation on my part.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Originally Posted by montoya
Great story, thank-you for removing the temptation! You don't know how often I thought; I wonder if I could talk them down a little....
Glad I can help!
Old 04-19-2015, 04:19 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Glad I can help!
Enjoy! It's going to be a beauty

Quick Reply: The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!