991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 12:30 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,380 Likes on 2,492 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Well, back to thinking I'm crazy/a fool again! Lol! Maybe we've been mismanaging the tire pressure/temps the whole time....
I can't share any proprietary info, but from talking with TPC Racing, I have the impression that having a good geometric setup for the car is key, and then both the SC2 and TR will work well, and the optimum hot pressure will be more a function of the tire rather than the setup.

So my one suggestion at this point would be to work with a race shop which has put in the time to come up with a setup which has been proven to work well for the 991 GT3 - DIY or being a guinea pig for a shop which is learning may not be the way to go. The setup may vary somewhat between drivers, but apparently numerous customers have liked TPC's setup. I plan to get the setup done next week, and will hopefully be able to track the car in mid November to try it out, and will then report my observations.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I can't share any proprietary info, but from talking with TPC Racing, I have the impression that having a good geometric setup for the car is key, and then both the SC2 and TR will work well, and the optimum hot pressure will be more a function of the tire rather than the setup.

So my one suggestion at this point would be to work with a race shop which has put in the time to come up with a setup which has been proven to work well for the 991 GT3 - DIY or being a guinea pig for a shop which is learning may not be the way to go. The setup may vary somewhat between drivers, but apparently numerous customers have liked TPC's setup. I plan to get the setup done next week, and will hopefully be able to track the car in mid November to try it out, and will then report my observations.
Shops should just share this info for the benefit of the enthusiast community, given how easy it would be to reverse engineer after an alignment if someone cared. Everyone shouldn't need to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited by Mech33; 10-29-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Shops should just share this infowar the benefit of the enthusiast community, given how easy it would be to reverse engineer after an alignment if someone cared. Everyone shouldn't need to reinvent the wheel.
I agree. Capitalism ...

Even better would be for Porsche to give us the recommended parameters for three scenarios, with accompanying instructions on the setup process as needed: (a) primarily road use, (b) mix of road and some track use, and (c) primarily track use.

As it stands, IMO the car does come set up well from the factory for track, but it appears that it can be made a little better.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sharing this journey with you manifold so very keen to follow your journey on this one closely. So far Im very happy with the stock settings after trying -2.15F/-1.54R. My only complaint is accelerated shoulder wear on the tire but to be honest they still last be about as long as they give their best - 5 track days and beyond i find them dropping off in any case...

Please keep us informed of initial impressions, on road then later on track etc.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Sharing this journey with you manifold so very keen to follow your journey on this one closely. So far Im very happy with the stock settings after trying -2.15F/-1.54R.
I think the challenge is that all the geometry parameters need to work together well as a system - cambers, toes, caster, ride heights, rake, roll centers, sway bars, etc. Without deploying some real engineering expertise backed by acquisition of suitable test data (beyond lap times, G-forces, tire wear, etc.), we're just guessing on what to change. And as discussed in Joe's thread, it seems that this car is especially sensitive to the suspension geometry, maybe in part because of the interactions with RWS, PTV+, and PASM. I'm certainly no race car engineer, I just wanna drive!
Old 10-29-2015, 11:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Agree with you here. I dont have front lift and purely from a practical point of view I have little interest in dropping the front to increase rake and accommodate more aggressive settings as may be the case based on what you are alluding too (which I believe may well be correct - that its is a system of around 4-6 key variables all of which need to be taken into consideration for best overall outcome). I suspect the race shops in Germany particularly will have a good understanding of how the chassis should be set up as there are many 991 GT3 otherwise "stock" running in the VLM series over there these last two seasons including tracks such as Spa & HH short etc. We could certainly benefit form anyone who has had a track set up over there my Manthey etc to chime in. Im sure some US shops are also learning plenty but it would seem a shop supporting race series including the 991 GT3 is always a good place to start...
Old 10-30-2015, 12:04 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
I also just did a Ross Bentley webinar on suspension tuning and learned a nice trick. If you put an air-dryer (basically a desiccant cylinder) inline from your air compressor, you can get the humidity out of your air and it is far easier to regulate pressures. He suggested it is a bit better than using nitrogen. It is a pain, since you need to deflate and inflate your tires 2-3 times, but since I generally don't trailer my car and have access to a big tank of nitrogen, it is a nice poor man's solution.
Manifold sorry if I'm high jacking your thread.
Rich do you have a link to which dryer you went with? They seems to be all over the place in price. I run into this problem bad with my compressor even with draining it.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Agree with you here. I dont have front lift and purely from a practical point of view I have little interest in dropping the front to increase rake and accommodate more aggressive settings as may be the case based on what you are alluding too (which I believe may well be correct - that its is a system of around 4-6 key variables all of which need to be taken into consideration for best overall outcome). I suspect the race shops in Germany particularly will have a good understanding of how the chassis should be set up as there are many 991 GT3 otherwise "stock" running in the VLM series over there these last two seasons including tracks such as Spa & HH short etc. We could certainly benefit form anyone who has had a track set up over there my Manthey etc to chime in. Im sure some US shops are also learning plenty but it would seem a shop supporting race series including the 991 GT3 is always a good place to start...
Agreed, if anyone can share full geometry, tire, and tire pressure data from one of those shops with a lot of experience (successfully) setting up the cars for racing, that would be a big help. I'm suspecting that there may be more than one 'good' setup, but a lot more possible 'bad' setups.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:38 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool! I was starting to think I was crazy!

My current stance on the TrofeoR after going back to cup2 is that my 'butt' tells me the TrofeoR grip a touch more than the cup2, but just not enough for it to really be picked up on the accelerometer. However, the cup2 are easier to manage at the limit, which makes me faster with the cup2. The biggest negative of the Trofeo is what you talk about above. Having to fiddle around with pressures all of the time is a total PITA. Not worth it to me. Give me the cup2 that I can set and forget.

If you ever run at the tracks in norcal, I'd be happy to compare data!
Originally Posted by meaker
Manifold sorry if I'm high jacking your thread.
Rich do you have a link to which dryer you went with? They seems to be all over the place in price. I run into this problem bad with my compressor even with draining it.
Here is a link to the product I bought:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5163k17/=zlaofw
Old 10-30-2015, 04:00 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Rich.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:37 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rm21
Here are a few laps of me driving with Manifold as passenger right before my check out ride.
Just noticed that your speedometer seems to match GPS-based speed to within 1 mph up to 155.

At this event, there was a driver of 997.2 GT3 on Hoosiers and stock engine/transmission who said he was hitting 174 at the end of the back straight based on his speedometer. I think his speedometer must have been way off. Even with a better exit speed from Oak Tree and braking later, no way he can be 20 mph faster than our car. Even this monster is 'only' hitting 171:

Old 10-31-2015, 10:16 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Just noticed that your speedometer seems to match GPS-based speed to within 1 mph up to 155.

At this event, there was a driver of 997.2 GT3 on Hoosiers and stock engine/transmission who said he was hitting 174 at the end of the back straight based on his speedometer. I think his speedometer must have been way off. Even with a better exit speed from Oak Tree and braking later, no way he can be 20 mph faster than our car. Even this monster is 'only' hitting 171:

Without data logging, claims of peak velocity are almost always exaggerations/tall tales
Old 11-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Without data logging, claims of peak velocity are almost always exaggerations/tall tales
Agreed. Common issue down under too. I've never done a track day without telemetry. My GT3 reads around 3-4kmhr higher on speedo vs GPS at 145mph/235kmph. Only cars I've come across that will beat it's vmax on our front straight are GTR Nissan and 991TTS by 3-9kmh. Definitely never seen a 20kmphrdifference in that straight even with 680kmphr GTR
Old 11-17-2017, 06:06 PM
911 NUT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone else bothered by the distinctly slow auto shift at 9000? Mine is very noticeable on the 3 to 4 up shift. I have gotten in the habit of using the flipper to put it out of its misery. Is there anything that can be done? E.g., it would be nice to be able to change the shift point to 8800. It would be much faster.

Dave
Old 11-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

OMG, how did this old thread get revived?

Quick Reply: Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)