991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Just got back from another three excellent days at Watkins Glen. There were several 991 GT3s there, and I had the pleasure of meeting est8eq - who was one of only two cars there who passed me!

The car is fast enough that it was hard to get clear laps even in the top run group, but best laps were in 2:09s with pucker factor at 7 out of 10. But I continue to see that many drivers need some time to get used to the car and develop confidence in it, so perhaps in some ways it's not quite as intuitive or communicative as the 997 GT3, despite having more capability?

Having track insurance helped with lap time, but still need to get harnesses and roll bar. The LWB seats aren't as snug as I like, but I've gotten used to the seats pushing my head forward a bit when wearing the helmet, and I like having the airbags, so I plan to try using these seats with the harnesses, rather than swapping out for a more track-focused seat.

At this event, tried the AP Racing front rotors and Ferodo pads for the first time, with new SRF fluid. I do think the brake feel is a little better than with the PFC 11 pads, but not as good as I hoped. I was disappointed that the pedal lost firmness after a couple sessions, and overall the pedal feels a bit numb to me. Will bleed before the next event and see how much that helps.

Running with PSM on, I also feel too much intervention when I trailbrake. But I'm reluctant to try turning it off until I have harnesses/HANS. And I'm puzzled about why I have this issue whereas some very capable drivers say it can be left on and won't intervene unless the car is really out of shape.

I'm also seeing a trend that the PASM doesn't always cope well with bumpy tracks in high speed braking zones and corners. My speculation is that with the somewhat soft spring rates, the active damping is being asked to make up the difference, and the hardware and algorithms aren't always good enough to do the job well.

So the car continues to leave some things to be desired, but it's still pretty awesome overall. I've been learning to work around its weak points, and I can't think of anything that rivals it for the price, in terms of a serious track car that's comfy and safe on the road without having to change tires. I've also discovered that because of the handling and stability of the car, going fast is fun!

Last edited by Manifold; 06-22-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:02 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
We just got an allocation for a GT4, but I have no yearning for one given the satisfaction provided by the GT3, so it'll come down to whether the wife wants to trade her Cayman R for the GT4.
Give me a shout if she decides to sell the Cayman R. I miss mine.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:22 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Funny thing is, she passed on that allocation, but got a call this weekend that another allocation just came up. Need to decide by tomorrow if she wants it. I'm kind of in favor of getting it, but the prospect of a PDK GT4 or GT4 Cup is interesting. Several people in line ahead of you to buy the Cayman R, but let's see what happens.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:52 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

Appreciate the honest assessment of the GT3 Manifold, flaws and all. While I enjoy reading "this car rocks", it's nice to read about some of the warts, albeit minor ones.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Funny thing is, she passed on that allocation, but got a call this weekend that another allocation just came up. Need to decide by tomorrow if she wants it. I'm kind of in favor of getting it, but the prospect of a PDK GT4 or GT4 Cup is interesting. Several people in line ahead of you to buy the Cayman R, but let's see what happens.
Wife decided to get the GT4, so we may only have the Cayman R a few more months, though we have the option of pulling out of the GT4 before delivery without financial loss.

I know what you mean about the R being a car one can miss. I took it for a long drive on the road yesterday, and haven't had that much fun driving a car on the road (at sane speeds) in quite a while. Really enjoyed the mid-engine feel, manual shifting, steering feel, sound, etc.

Maybe the GT4 will be just as much fun on the road, but I wonder if, like the GT3, it may suffer from being 'too good'? But the GT4 will mainly be a track car, and should complement the GT3 nicely in that environment.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:45 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got back from another three excellent days at Watkins Glen. There were several 991 GT3s there, and I had the pleasure of meeting est8eq - who was one of only two cars there who passed me!

The car is fast enough that it was hard to get clear laps even in the top run group, but best laps were in 2:09s with pucker factor at 7 out of 10. But I continue to see that many drivers need some time to get used to the car and develop confidence in it, so perhaps in some ways it's not quite as intuitive or communicative as the 997 GT3, despite having more capability?

Having track insurance helped with lap time, but still need to get harnesses and roll bar. The LWB seats aren't as snug as I like, but I've gotten used to the seats pushing my head forward a bit when wearing the helmet, and I like having the airbags, so I plan to try using these seats with the harnesses, rather than swapping out for a more track-focused seat.

At this event, tried the AP Racing front rotors and Ferodo pads for the first time, with new SRF fluid. I do think the brake feel is a little better than with the PFC 11 pads, but not as good as I hoped. I was disappointed that the pedal lost firmness after a couple sessions, and overall the pedal feels a bit numb to me. Will bleed before the next event and see how much that helps.

Running with PSM on, I also feel too much intervention when I trailbrake. But I'm reluctant to try turning it off until I have harnesses/HANS. And I'm puzzled about why I have this issue whereas some very capable drivers say it can be left on and won't intervene unless the car is really out of shape.

I'm also seeing a trend that the PASM doesn't always cope well with bumpy tracks in high speed braking zones and corners. My speculation is that with the somewhat soft spring rates, the active damping is being asked to make up the difference, and the hardware and algorithms aren't always good enough to do the job well.

So the car continues to leave some things to be desired, but it's still pretty awesome overall. I've been learning to work around its weak points, and I can't think of anything that rivals it for the price, in terms of a serious track car that's comfy and safe on the road without having to change tires. I've also discovered that because of the handling and stability of the car, going fast is fun!
Was really nice meeting you, Manifold! You guys running the Potomac region PCA had me busy w/ two students (green & white), my friend in the other GT3 running in Black that wanted me to ride w/ him, coupled w/ my wife running in White, I was running around a lot and wished I would have talked w/ you earlier than I did. Love talking to guys like you who are much more technical than me.

I've put 5000 track miles on this car and starting to really understand the car. I've come to trust these new Hoosiers (R7's) more and more. (HATED, absolutely HATED the R6's). I think they're good for a couple of seconds (obviously, depending on track) and really help.

I feel the car is very neutral, doesn't understeer or oversteer? This is just me and I'm the first to admit I'm NOT a professional. I agree that it does tend to twitch a bit coming down from a high speed section into hard braking zones, but have learned to expect it. (I've heard the Crawford wing minimizes this). But, the way this car rotates into turns with the amount of mechanical grip it does still blows my mind away.

Like you and I discussed, our cars are so stinking fast it doesn't take long to figure out there's not much out there at these events that can run with our GT3's, especially when you're skilled as you are and drive like you do.

We need to get you out w/out the extra 200 lbs student sitting shotgun in your car as well as into Hoosiers. But, I'll always take any advantage I can get
Old 06-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by est8esq
Was really nice meeting you, Manifold! You guys running the Potomac region PCA had me busy w/ two students (green & white), my friend in the other GT3 running in Black that wanted me to ride w/ him, coupled w/ my wife running in White, I was running around a lot and wished I would have talked w/ you earlier than I did. Love talking to guys like you who are much more technical than me.

I've put 5000 track miles on this car and starting to really understand the car. I've come to trust these new Hoosiers (R7's) more and more. (HATED, absolutely HATED the R6's). I think they're good for a couple of seconds (obviously, depending on track) and really help.

I feel the car is very neutral, doesn't understeer or oversteer? This is just me and I'm the first to admit I'm NOT a professional. I agree that it does tend to twitch a bit coming down from a high speed section into hard braking zones, but have learned to expect it. (I've heard the Crawford wing minimizes this). But, the way this car rotates into turns with the amount of mechanical grip it does still blows my mind away.

Like you and I discussed, our cars are so stinking fast it doesn't take long to figure out there's not much out there at these events that can run with our GT3's, especially when you're skilled as you are and drive like you do.

We need to get you out w/out the extra 200 lbs student sitting shotgun in your car as well as into Hoosiers. But, I'll always take any advantage I can get
Hi est8esq, it was great meeting you too! Regardless of tires, you were cookin' out there! But of course the car just drives itself anyway, right?

Aside from my little complaints here and there, I loved the way the car felt at WG. My SC2 front tires are fairly new and the rear tires are approaching the end, so that could affect the balance, but the car felt very neutral to me, and I didn't get the understeer I've noticed at a some other tracks. The grip was especially good in T5; really amazing how the car would dig in, even with tire pressures well short of 30. The car seems quite happy in some of the other turns also, and speed it can carry up the esses is nuts!

I only went out in Black once, to take a White driver for a demo ride; was disappointed with the trains, but it was a good opportunity to demonstrate planning, patience, risk management, etc. Even in Red, I sometimes had to wait a few turns to get a point-by, but I've learned that such is life when driving a car this fast. A big positive of the event was that, with about 200 drivers, three days, some rain, and lots of instructors and drivers from out of the region, we only had the one incident.

My wife was running in White too, and would have been nice if our wives had managed to meet. Need to see more women out there!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

We've discussed car setup, etc. in various threads, so I thought post an update in this little 'journal' thread of mine.

I had an excellent track event this past weekend at Summit Point (main). Prior to this event, I had set my cambers back to the factory 1.5, instead of the 2.0 I've been running for all of my prior track days. After making the change to factory alignment, the car felt significantly better on the road, and I was pleased to find that it felt better on the track also. Tires may not last as long with this camber, but I don't really care at this point, the improved behavior of the car is worth it.

An even bigger step forward was Sunday morning, when I rode with a pro racer who drove my car for two laps. He's very familiar with the 991 GT3 and the nuances of tuning it, and is the person who advised me to go back to factory alignment. To my surprise, he advised leaving the buttons OFF for the sport exhaust, stiffer damping, and sport mode for the shifting, and also advised running the car in manual mode. I asked about tire pressures, he didn't think it mattered too much, so I set them to 31 hot (based on my wife coming off the track just prior), and he suggested trying a higher hot pressure. Watching him drive the car for those mere two laps was eye opening, to say the least. Next two sessions I went out and tried to incorporate much of what I observed into my own driving, and was able to drop my lap times ~1.5 s despite having a passenger in the car! Moreover, I didn't notice any of the PSM/ABS intervention I've whined about in the past, and by learning to use the frickin brake pedal better, I was able to eliminate nearly all of the instability in bumpy high-speed braking zones that I've been whining about. And by manually shifting on track, I rediscovered the pleasure of knowing what gear I'm in and controlling when shifts happen.

Much of the above differs from how others are setting up and using the car, and I'm just another guy posting stuff in a forum, so take with a grain of salt as you wish, but I offer it as data and food for thought.

The car now has over 10K miles and over 3K track miles on it, and I love the thing. Comfy on the road, and an exhilarating beast on the track. I've had many passengers in the car on track, and nearly all describe the car as 'amazing'.

Last edited by Manifold; 08-10-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the rational behind manual shifting from the pro instructor? I don't think it will reduce your lap time by much, if any.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:20 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Pro's name?
Old 08-10-2015, 10:20 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

We've discussed car setup, etc. in various threads, so I thought post an update in this little 'journal' thread of mine.

I had an excellent track event this past weekend at Summit Point (main). Prior to this event, I had set my cambers back to the factory 1.5, instead of the 2.0 I've been running for all of my prior track days. After making the change to factory alignment, the car felt significantly better on the road, and I was pleased to find that it felt better on the track also. Tires may not last as long with this camber, but I don't really care at this point, the improved behavior of the car is worth it.

An even bigger step forward was Sunday morning, when I rode with a pro racer who drove my car for two laps. He's very familiar with the 991 GT3 and the nuances of tuning it, and is the person who advised me to go back to factory alignment. To my surprise, he advised leaving the buttons OFF for the sport exhaust, stiffer damping, and sport mode for the shifting, and also advised running the car in manual mode. I asked about tire pressures, he didn't think it mattered too much, so I set them to 31 hot (based on my wife coming off the track just prior), and he suggested trying a higher hot pressure. Watching him drive the car for those mere two laps was eye opening, to say the least. Next two sessions I went out and tried to incorporate much of what I observed into my own driving, and was able to drop my lap times ~1.5 s despite having a passenger in the car! Moreover, I didn't notice any of the PSM/ABS intervention I've whined about in the past, and by learning to use the frickin brake pedal better, I was able to eliminate nearly all of the instability in bumpy high-speed braking zones that I've been whining about. And by manually shifting on track, I rediscovered the pleasure of knowing what gear I'm in and controlling when shifts happen.

Much of the above differs from how others are setting up and using the car, and I'm just another guy posting stuff in a forum, so take with a grain of salt as you wish, but I offer it as data and food for thought.

The car now has over 10K miles and over 3K track miles on it, and I love the thing. Comfy on the road, and an exhilarating beast on the track. I've had many passengers in the car on track, and nearly all describe the car as 'amazing'.
So you are set up like I have been running....were you set to 31 hot pressures after his comment all the way around or did you go higher than 31? What was your feedback after pressure changes did you notice a difference vs what you ran before? I have run slightly lower pressures in front and its feels a bit more solid in front end at high speed tracks at least for me.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:24 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
What's the rational behind manual shifting from the pro instructor? I don't think it will reduce your lap time by much, if any.
Personally, I will do it sometime.

Especially after becoming familiar with a particular track, you know which turns can be taken in a particular gear to maximize exit speeds. Something that experience teaches that the PDK-S, as good as it is, may not pick up on.

The manual option is there for a reason. Not just for burnouts ...
Old 08-10-2015, 10:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

The camber can vary depending on track and how hard a car is pushed.

With the new cars being so good and the capabilities at such a high level, it may just not matter all that much with electronic helpers?

Regarding Manufolds comment about being "too good", Im worried about that a bit in terms of fun factor with my new car.
New track SC And TC On in automatic while you learn the track..
Than go manual to short shift out if some corners, than SC and TC off where it holds you back over bumpy corners..

What if you never have to take it out of automatic and SC only makes you faster by "torqueing" you through the corner by grabbing the inside rear wheel?

Are you still enjoying it as much?!

Im sure the car will be a thrill to learn and experience and at every new track it will be awesome. But at known tracks where at one point you'll have done 100's of laps where you found the last tenth of a second (with the help of a coach) within your talent and risk tolerance, it may get boring just because there is less chance for mistakes compared to an old fashioned manual, LSD etc? Maybe it's too easy to string a "perfect" lap together?

Chris Harris video gave me hope because he kept on and on how tossable the car is and so I hope it can be faster and more fun trail braking and rotating through the corners instead of driving like on rails...
Old 08-10-2015, 11:05 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default The to shift or auto mode debate

Hello Manifold

Thanks for sharing your observation from the Glen with your rare right seat time , I sure would love the chance to ride shot gun with a pro on such fantastic track, one of my favorites . FWIW I only drive manual mode a feel far more confident with balance a flow of a lap and like braking points shift points strive to be the same location and then tweak it deep or not , and I am certainly no pro.
At Sebring I take at least a second off the lap shifting the car , however I sure a Pro could hop in
leave it auto and clean my clock so to speak.
Look at all the recent videos with the pro's on track in the new RS ,watch closely they are all shifting the car
for me its more fun ,and fun is why I go to the track in the first place

BTW sorry for a comment I made about hot air last year or so
not to Corinthian of me
Old 08-11-2015, 12:45 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Personally, I will do it sometime.

Especially after becoming familiar with a particular track, you know which turns can be taken in a particular gear to maximize exit speeds. Something that experience teaches that the PDK-S, as good as it is, may not pick up on.

The manual option is there for a reason. Not just for burnouts ...
I didn't have a chance to discuss it with him, but makes sense to me that we can be smarter than auto mode, and thereby get a better lap time. And I do like knowing what gear I'm in and how much torque I can expect.

Originally Posted by sccchiii
So you are set up like I have been running....were you set to 31 hot pressures after his comment all the way around or did you go higher than 31? What was your feedback after pressure changes did you notice a difference vs what you ran before? I have run slightly lower pressures in front and its feels a bit more solid in front end at high speed tracks at least for me.
We started that session at 31, and I expect that we were above 31 after the two laps, but I didn't check. I'm still experimenting with tire pressures.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The camber can vary depending on track and how hard a car is pushed.

With the new cars being so good and the capabilities at such a high level, it may just not matter all that much with electronic helpers?

Regarding Manufolds comment about being "too good", Im worried about that a bit in terms of fun factor with my new car.
New track SC And TC On in automatic while you learn the track..
Than go manual to short shift out if some corners, than SC and TC off where it holds you back over bumpy corners..

What if you never have to take it out of automatic and SC only makes you faster by "torqueing" you through the corner by grabbing the inside rear wheel?

Are you still enjoying it as much?!

Im sure the car will be a thrill to learn and experience and at every new track it will be awesome. But at known tracks where at one point you'll have done 100's of laps where you found the last tenth of a second (with the help of a coach) within your talent and risk tolerance, it may get boring just because there is less chance for mistakes compared to an old fashioned manual, LSD etc? Maybe it's too easy to string a "perfect" lap together?

Chris Harris video gave me hope because he kept on and on how tossable the car is and so I hope it can be faster and more fun trail braking and rotating through the corners instead of driving like on rails...
I doubted that 1.5 camber was enough for the track, but took a leap of faith and the car definitely feels better to me now.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the car at all. You definitely have to drive it, it doesn't mask errors like a GT-R. IMO, the car is "too good" for the road (if fun is the goal) precisely because it's so good for the track.

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Hello Manifold

Thanks for sharing your observation from the Glen with your rare right seat time , I sure would love the chance to ride shot gun with a pro on such fantastic track, one of my favorites . FWIW I only drive manual mode a feel far more confident with balance a flow of a lap and like braking points shift points strive to be the same location and then tweak it deep or not , and I am certainly no pro.
At Sebring I take at least a second off the lap shifting the car , however I sure a Pro could hop in
leave it auto and clean my clock so to speak.
Look at all the recent videos with the pro's on track in the new RS ,watch closely they are all shifting the car
for me its more fun ,and fun is why I go to the track in the first place

BTW sorry for a comment I made about hot air last year or so
not to Corinthian of me
I actually rode with the pro at Summit Point main, but WG would have been nice too. Going forward, I anticipate staying in manual mode on the track. I don't remember the hot air comment, so no offense taken.

Quick Reply: Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)