Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 01:58 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seth - sorry we didn't connect. Make sure you stop by the next time you see the big wing at Road Atlanta!
Old 10-28-2015, 02:16 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RM and Manifold,
Either of you guys change out any suspension parts for more track oriented pieces (monoball, thrust arm, etc)?

Last edited by MileHigh911; 10-28-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:22 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
RM and Manifold,
Either of you guys change out any suspension parts for more track oriented pieces (monorail, thrust arm, etc)?
No. Will probably stay stock until warranty is up and then go crazy to accomodate higher loads of slicks...

Pretty sure that Manifold is stock at this point.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,382 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
I hate i missed both of you guys this past weekend. I was there on Sunday testing the #38 Next Level European Cayman and the #81 BimmerWorld BMW 328. Since we were testing I didn't get a chance to walk around the paddock that much but I do remember seeing a couple of the GT3s on track. The crawford wing gives them away. If we are ever at the track at the same time again let me know if there is anything I can do to help you guys get up to speed or find more speed in your cars.
Sorry we missed each other. There were a bunch of us 991 GT3 guys there, and in retrospect I guess we should have made intros, since many of us are probably RLers. I was #7, white car with a regular wing, unusually dirty. Would LOVE to get some coaching from you next time! Pretty cool that we usually have pros running with us in Chin Red.

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
RM and Manifold,
Either of you guys change out any suspension parts for more track oriented pieces (monorail, thrust arm, etc)?
My suspension and alignment are totally stock at this point, though I'm not opposed to making integrated sets of changes which are proven to make the car better overall for the track. My road use of the car is pretty much limited to driving to the track, though those drives can be up to 6 hours, so I don't mind a bit of comfort.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:06 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

In reviewing some of the video from the day at VIR I found a spot where I ran across one of you guys. Car looked good out there! Who is this in the video? It was shot in the blue run group on Sunday right after lunch.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:45 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
In reviewing some of the video from the day at VIR I found a spot where I ran across one of you guys. Car looked good out there! Who is this in the video? It was shot in the blue run group on Sunday right after lunch.

That was one of the 991 GT3s other than me and rm21. It's actually the other GT3 which I mentioned driving. The driver was new to VIR, so I took him for a ride in the car during the last Blue session on Monday. I wanted to ride with him after that, but unfortunately the logistics didn't work out. The driver's wife was there, and the driver was sharing the car with his son-in-law, who apparently married well! Nice people. The son-in-law was the student of one our instructors who drives a silver 996 GT3 and has some really amazing car control.

I've found that when I go to a new track, it really helps to ride with a good driver who knows the track, and the sooner the better.

Last edited by Manifold; 10-29-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:00 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Here are a few laps of me driving with Manifold as passenger right before my check out ride.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:46 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Been reading into this thread and amazed how much info you can get from it.
I had one track day so far and wonder if I should change my break fluid out before doing another event? It's the stock fluid.
Rich did you have SC2 on at amp during the smokies event? For some reason i thought you did.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:14 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by meaker
I had one track day so far and wonder if I should change my break fluid out before doing another event? It's the stock fluid.
I'd change it (I prefer SRF). My first track event with the GT3 was at VIR in March. Boiled the OEM fluid the first morning, resulting in spongy pedal for the rest of the event. Pedal didn't get progressively worse, but it still sucked. Also note that the owners manual says that using the ABS will put a lot more heat into the braking system, so I try to avoid using it, and that seems to have really helped in keeping the pedal consistent and reducing the need for bleeds/flushes.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:26 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'd change it (I prefer SRF). My first track event with the GT3 was at VIR in March. Boiled the fluid the first morning, resulting in spongy pedal for the rest of the event. Pedal didn't get progressively worse, but it still sucked. Also note that the owners manual says that using the ABS will put a lot more heat into the braking system, so I try to avoid using it, and that seems to have really helped in keeping the pedal consistent and reducing the need for bleeds/flushes.
Thanks. This might be a dumb question but how are you avoiding ABS? You can't turn it off.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:48 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Thanks. This might be a dumb question but how are you avoiding ABS? You can't turn it off.
Not a dumb question at all, the ABS can be subtle in this car. But (I think) I can normally feel a small difference when it kicks in, at which point I take off a little brake pressure. If in doubt, I suggest braking a little sooner/softer, which won't hurt your lap times much, and may even help them by making it easier to modulate the brake release at corner entry and improve corner entry speed.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:45 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
Macca - I work with Goldcrest Motorsports in Atlanta, and like TPC, they consider their setup proprietary. They specifically asked that I not share the details, so I need to respect that. In general, my setup isn't that different from Orthojoe's, except for the fact that I had to add more rake to deal with the bigger wing.
Cool! I was starting to think I was crazy!

I can say that I am following what seems to be the consensus on the Trofeo pressures - 29 front and 31 rear seem optimal for my driving. I also just did a Ross Bentley webinar on suspension tuning and learned a nice trick. If you put an air-dryer (basically a desiccant cylinder) inline from your air compressor, you can get the humidity out of your air and it is far easier to regulate pressures. He suggested it is a bit better than using nitrogen. It is a pain, since you need to deflate and inflate your tires 2-3 times, but since I generally don't trailer my car and have access to a big tank of nitrogen, it is a nice poor man's solution.
My current stance on the TrofeoR after going back to cup2 is that my 'butt' tells me the TrofeoR grip a touch more than the cup2, but just not enough for it to really be picked up on the accelerometer. However, the cup2 are easier to manage at the limit, which makes me faster with the cup2. The biggest negative of the Trofeo is what you talk about above. Having to fiddle around with pressures all of the time is a total PITA. Not worth it to me. Give me the cup2 that I can set and forget.

Would love to find some other folks with Solo DLs on RL to share data feeds. I know you're a bit far away for that! RL has been great for helping me get the car to this point.
If you ever run at the tracks in norcal, I'd be happy to compare data!
Old 10-29-2015, 06:35 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Rich did you have SC2 on at amp during the smokies event? For some reason i thought you did.
Like Manifold I use SRF for brake fluid. I usually bleed the brakes after every two events and do a complete flush after six events.

I was running some heat cycled out SC2s at AMP. I didn't think we'd be pushing it that day and given it rained much of the day, the Trofeos would not have been a good choice. Cup2s have more tread and are much better in the rain.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:42 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Cool! I was starting to think I was crazy!

My current stance on the TrofeoR after going back to cup2 is that my 'butt' tells me the TrofeoR grip a touch more than the cup2, but just not enough for it to really be picked up on the accelerometer. However, the cup2 are easier to manage at the limit, which makes me faster with the cup2. The biggest negative of the Trofeo is what you talk about above. Having to fiddle around with pressures all of the time is a total PITA. Not worth it to me. Give me the cup2 that I can set and forget.
I'm on my first set of Trofeos but I'll be switching back to the Cup2s for my November events at Road Atlanta. That should give me a nice A-B comparison since the setup will be the same and the temps should be similar. To date, I've gotten .1 more G's of lateral acceleration with the Trofeos and have broken all my best times on them, even after a considerable number of heat cycles. The wear has also been much better than the Cup2s. I'm hoping I'm wrong, since the Cup2s are cheaper/more convenient, but if these differences remain I'll stick with the Trofeos (at least until the mythical 20" Hoosiers come out next year ).
Old 10-29-2015, 11:55 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
I'm on my first set of Trofeos but I'll be switching back to the Cup2s for my November events at Road Atlanta. That should give me a nice A-B comparison since the setup will be the same and the temps should be similar. To date, I've gotten .1 more G's of lateral acceleration with the Trofeos and have broken all my best times on them, even after a considerable number of heat cycles. The wear has also been much better than the Cup2s. I'm hoping I'm wrong, since the Cup2s are cheaper/more convenient, but if these differences remain I'll stick with the Trofeos (at least until the mythical 20" Hoosiers come out next year ).
Well, back to thinking I'm crazy/a fool again! Lol! Maybe we've been mismanaging the tire pressure/temps the whole time....

Quick Reply: Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)