Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 11:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

How is your tire wear and what do you think of your alignment?
Old 03-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,381 Likes on 2,492 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

How is your tire wear and what do you think of your alignment?
Tire wear across the width looks even, and overall wear is less than I expected. So staying with -2.0 F and R cambers for now. But VIR is easier on tires than many other tracks, I wasn't pushing the car nearly as hard as I eventually will (), and half the track miles were my wife's, who was easier on the car than me (and she liked the car a lot). So I won't be surprised if more camber will be needed.

Will likely be able to do a few laps this weekend at a different track, and plenty more track events on the schedule after that.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:48 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

I agree, great write up.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Nice write up.

Your impression of the steering feel is interesting. I haven't and may never track my 991 GT3, so I can't comment on the feel on the track. However, on the street my 991 feels like my .2- I don't notice a difference. My comparison is months apart though. Were you able or do you still have a 997 to compare to?
Old 03-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montoya
Nice write up.

Your impression of the steering feel is interesting. I haven't and may never track my 991 GT3, so I can't comment on the feel on the track. However, on the street my 991 feels like my .2- I don't notice a difference. My comparison is months apart though. Were you able or do you still have a 997 to compare to?
Still have the 997, but haven't driven it in a few weeks. Drove the Cayman R yesterday though, and the hydraulic steering definitely felt better to me. But to clarify, I'm referring to how well the steering wheel transmits what the front tires are doing as far as grip and feel of the road surface, not how well the steering turns the car (which the 991 GT3 does very well, and better than a 997).

When I drove home from the track, the steering felt more communicative than on the track, so the gap in feel may be smaller on the road as compared to track.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Backroads
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How cool is it that your wife shares your track time? You've got a keeper!
Old 03-19-2015, 12:12 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^. Way cool. Bet she helps you with the centerlock wheels too.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:13 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks for write up
Old 03-19-2015, 12:32 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Backroads
How cool is it that your wife shares your track time? You've got a keeper!
Originally Posted by seapar
^^^. Way cool. Bet she helps you with the centerlock wheels too.
Way cool indeed.

The way to hook them is get them to do autocross until they're comfortable thrashing the car, then take them to the big track.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:53 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

..and we're all dying to know how the run from 6K to 9K RPM was for you...

Old 03-19-2015, 04:37 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I'm sure Manifold will feel the same. After finally logging 2000 miles I took my tech out for the first run to 9000 in my car. Afterwards we both just sat in the car with big grins. The sound and pull are amazing.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoyed and appreciated your feedback on the track.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:58 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Did my first track event with the car, at VIR (full course).
- Back of the car felt a little unstable under heavy braking from 150+ mph. It seemed to get better after playing with tire pressures and not braking quite as hard. Also felt some brake pedal vibration when aggressively trailbraking into tight corners, as though the car didn't like the trailbraking..
Excellent Track Write-Up Manifold. Glad you like the GT3. I love mine!

The Crawford Wing cured that unstable feeling under heavy high-speed braking
in my car and a friend's and improved its behavior in heavy trail-braking and high-speed sweeping turns as well. IMHO, Best Street / Track Car I ever owned. ENJOY!
Old 03-20-2015, 02:02 PM
NMM991
Racer

Your comments are very consistent and help confirm my own impressions. With only 10 track days and all of them in either a 991 TT or a 991 GT3, I cannot compare to other cars even though I have had a lot of non-track experience in Porsches for 40 plus years.

Initially I was concerned about tracking a car as capable as the new GT3, both from the view point of learning proper technique without all the technology and the view point of safety. I will still endeavor to spend time on skid pads and autocross events in less capable cars, but your comment "I can't necessarily say that this car will be more fun on track than other cars I've driven, but I do think it's the car which best meets my criteria for a durable, reliable, fast enough, and well behaved track car which I can also drive on the road in adequate comfort, without having to change tires" was/is consistent with my own experience in this car.

When I have made a mistake or pushed it too hard, the nannies have keep me safe and on the track, but I also have been able to get the car a little loose or out of shape and bring it back without help from the nannies. This car certainly has very sophisticated computer control, but as you said "it does not drive itself."

Last edited by NMM991; 03-20-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Excellent Track Write-Up Manifold. Glad you like the GT3. I love mine!

The Crawford Wing cured that unstable feeling under heavy high-speed braking
in my car and a friend's and improved its behavior in heavy trail-braking and high-speed sweeping turns as well. IMHO, Best Street / Track Car I ever owned. ENJOY!
I know that you and some others have reported this issue, and the Crawford wing is on my list of potential cures. From the other thread where Petevb provided his thoughts, I did get the impression that the car could benefit from additional rear downforce. Maybe the first step would be to try steepening the angle of the OEM wing? My plan/hope is to keep the car as stock as possible, other than safety upgrades (ie, roll bar, harnesses, and maybe better seats).

But I did notice that the other 991 GT3 driver I rode with didn't seem to have as much rear instability as I did, and he was entering brake zones as fast or faster than I was. I don't know what pads he had, but I'm running PFC 11, and am wondering if they might be a factor, given that the car was presumably developed with the OEM pads. Or maybe I just need to adjust my initial brake application. I also need to check to make sure my alignment hasn't shifted. I'll be exploring all of this further in the coming weeks. Would be nice if the car was perfect out of the box for the track, but maybe that's asking too much, given that it's a combo track/street car.

Quick Reply: Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)