Sponsored by:

Here is a sport car we GT3 owners need to avoid

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
OK, so I've always wondered about room in Vettes. Is it a tighter fit than the 911? I am 6'5" and would hate to order a track car only to find out that I can't fit in with a helmet.
You won't fit

Originally Posted by Nick
The front looks like a 458. A couple of times my initial thoughts when one was driving toward me that it is was 458. The backend remains its only weakness but not as bad as before.

FWIW, the interior is or looks as good as a 911. Yesterday, my hair stylist (female barber) wanted to see my loaner a C2S. Though she liked the exterior her reaction to the interior was one of disappointment. She asked me whether my interior would be more plush/upgraded. Fortunately, I had upgraded to leather throughout the car and full dash with the sport chromo.
How did the rest of the date go?
Old 06-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You won't fit

How did the rest of the date go?
Ha, Ha, happily married.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:21 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't fit
OK thanks. So if/when I see a Z06 Stingray on track, I will just have to accept that it's gonna be a (much) faster car.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:50 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Amazing amazing car. It will kill all Porsches up to and possibly including 918. It also has full track warranty. Brake package is insane. I have heard some crazy Ring times from this car. If motor blows you buy a new one for 14k!!!!
after the 5 year / 100,000 mile power train warranty that is
Old 06-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Sam, the guy who parked it (I assume owner) and was about 6'5. I spent a lot of time looking the car over and though I did not sit in it, I believe the cabin is as large as a 911.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:37 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I owned a highly track modified Lingenfelter 2001 Z06 with 585 hsp for about 12 years as well a stock 2007 C6. At that stage of my life, acceleration was prioritized very high. However I was won over by the overall balance and level of execution by my first Porsche, a 2009 C2S, and ended up selling both Vettes. By comparison the Vettes were relatively crude despite being easily faster in a straight line.

I currently have a MY2015 GT3 on order. The new C7 Z06 is giving me pause.
The interior is clearly much improved, as will be the handling, and the power will likely be without pier for the money. I plan to drive a C7 when possible.

My reservations are the styling (Camaro rear end plus too many louvers), GM quality, durability at the track (my other Vettes motors, tranny's and rear ends overheated) and the smoothness and accuracy of the manual transmission (my 07 had a jerky clutch and a sloppy shifter). Also the Corvette is a physically large sports car. Will it have the nimbleness I have grown to appreciate?

The final reservation is how useable and tractable 650 hsp and torque will be on the street. Over time I've formed the opinion that a power to weight ratio lower than about 7 to 1 for the street (99% of my usage) is more about bragging plus is likely to get your license rescinded.

On paper the Z06 sounds very tempting. However I strongly suspect that at the end of the day the GT3 will be the better overall car. Ultimately GM and Porsche go at their goals very differently. Never the less I am considerably impressed with the new Vette. It certainly has my respect and even attention.
I never expected to consider a Corvette again.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:22 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by john weires
I owned a highly track modified Lingenfelter 2001 Z06 with 585 hsp for about 12 years as well a stock 2007 C6. At that stage of my life, acceleration was prioritized very high. However I was won over by the overall balance and level of execution by my first Porsche, a 2009 C2S, and ended up selling both Vettes. By comparison the Vettes were relatively crude despite being easily faster in a straight line.

I currently have a MY2015 GT3 on order. The new C7 Z06 is giving me pause.
The interior is clearly much improved, as will be the handling, and the power will likely be without pier for the money. I plan to drive a C7 when possible.

My reservations are the styling (Camaro rear end plus too many louvers), GM quality, durability at the track (my other Vettes motors, tranny's and rear ends overheated) and the smoothness and accuracy of the manual transmission (my 07 had a jerky clutch and a sloppy shifter). Also the Corvette is a physically large sports car. Will it have the nimbleness I have grown to appreciate?

The final reservation is how useable and tractable 650 hsp and torque will be on the street. Over time I've formed the opinion that a power to weight ratio lower than about 7 to 1 for the street (99% of my usage) is more about bragging plus is likely to get your license rescinded.

On paper the Z06 sounds very tempting. However I strongly suspect that at the end of the day the GT3 will be the better overall car. Ultimately GM and Porsche go at their goals very differently. Never the less I am considerably impressed with the new Vette. It certainly has my respect and even attention.
I never expected to consider a Corvette again.
Well stated.

Coming from a 1200 HP GT-R beast, I've come to really appreciate "balance" over brute horsepower, more so than I like to admit.

The GT3 is so nimble, usable, predictable and balanced it's tough to imagine what this Corvette will be in comparison?

I rode in my friend's C6 Z06 and while the handling was spectacular, the heat coming from the floor, the rough ride and feel from the passenger side like the car was going to fall apart made the car one step removed from a kit car.

That said, no one was going to question its lap times.

So, its going to be really interesting to see exactly how refined this C7 is going to be.

I'm extremely skeptical given its lineage.

If all out times is all it's about, the Viper ACR-X would be better known than it is.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,687 Likes on 2,336 Posts

If I'd fit in it, I'd buy it.
u wont fit.

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
OK, so I've always wondered about room in Vettes. Is it a tighter fit than the 911? I am 6'5" and would hate to order a track car only to find out that I can't fit in with a helmet.
you wont fit either.

i am tempted by vette.
int is fine. it will all be ripped out anyways.
never had 650hp.... enough torque to tow our 44' trailer
Old 06-08-2014, 02:16 AM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Who knows I bought the last z06, the front end was zero G and the car was numb. But yes fast
Old 06-08-2014, 10:05 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Amazing amazing car. It will kill all Porsches up to and possibly including 918. It also has full track warranty. Brake package is insane. I have heard some crazy Ring times from this car. If motor blows you buy a new one for 14k!!!!
I can't wait to see what kind of Ring lap GM can wring out of this package
Old 06-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

All I know is if the next GT3 RS is not spectacular there will be a lot Z 06 on this forum
Old 06-08-2014, 12:10 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
I can't wait to see what kind of Ring lap GM can wring out of this package
The C6 Z06 with the Z07 package did the ring in 7:22:68, so I wouldn't be surprised if the C7 does it sub 7:20

http://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-t...times-top-100/
Old 06-08-2014, 12:46 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zr1 has a 7:19 ring time and GM claims that the new zo6 is quicker on their test track, so I bet a 7:15 would not be out of reach, especially with the new 8 speed auto.
Ring times have become a good standard to compare cars and are "important" for bragging rights. The 991 gt3 is a very fast car and looks great. People like myself who primarily drive their car on the street and are cross shopping the gt3 and zo6 have to decide how important this performance gap is between the 2 cars. On the street the gt3 is plenty fast! Also, a high revving na 6 vs a forced induction v8 with a boat load of tq has to be considered.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

To give you guys a feel for the broad powerband, I did a vid a few years ago of my bone stock ZR1 going from 50-150mph all in 4th gear. The LS9 is a monster, but this LT4 appears to be even more powerful with a broader powerband.

See vid:
Old 06-08-2014, 03:49 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 636 Likes on 304 Posts

Sub 7:10 with Z07 package and driver with giant brass juevos!

Quick Reply: Here is a sport car we GT3 owners need to avoid