Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here is a sport car we GT3 owners need to avoid

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:25 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I never considered a Corvette ever. I give crap to one of my friend, who owns one, everytime I can.

But yeah, this Z06, I am highly considering it. I can't wait to see the final numbers and comparos. This Corvette, at least on paper, is epic. And if GM is to be believed that a loaded Z07 will sell for less than 100k$, I can see many Porsche loyals driving a GM in the future.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:27 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag

Then, there are other guys who buy a Porsche for brand snobbery and would be "embarrassed" by driving or owning a plebian Chevrolet and want to live in their own little world where the only brand worth discussing originates from Stuttgart. So, I guess we know where you stand. Carry on.
I am sure there a bunch of Ferrari, Mclaren and Lamborghini guys that wouldn't drive a Porsche for the same reason.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:14 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Is there an ignore/block button on RL? If so, can someone kindly point me towards it?
Left click on the username, then select "View Public Profile". Once you get to the public profile, left click on "User Lists", then select "Add to Ignore List".
Old 06-13-2014, 06:37 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Can you provide some technical data on synthetics "actively vaporizing" above 275F as that is the first time I've ever heard that???? Mobil1 and several other manufacturers says their oils provide protection well above 300F, though again that doesn't guarantee that specific engine parts will like that hot of a temp for a very long period of time.
The oil will still protect the engine at 300F and likely beyond that, but characteristics of oil start to change at temperature lower than that. So it's more of temperature of accelerated aging of oil rather than temperature at which oil stops being effective.

I am too lazy too look for data now - I did research back in the day when I was concerned about oil temps in my old turbocharged BMW. But quick googling got me this interesting thread - maybe that would help: http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=1&t=31363
Old 06-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks, MM3 and Max for the info! Will do some more research on the oil and start my ignore list.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

I just think there should be concern for the Z28 high temps if there was nothing wrong with the car for some particular reason. I do not track my cars so it really does not matter to me plus I would never by a Z28 because it does not appeal to me. But, if you are going to manufacture a track car then you need to make sure you deliver one that can be tracked.

Just out of curiosity; when you track say a GT3 or a C2S what type to temps do you hit?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:15 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

Just out of curiosity; when you track say a GT3 or a C2S what type to temps do you hit?
Totally weather dependant. In my 991 C4S, oil temps in 50-70 degree weather would not exceed 250-260. In summer (104-105), it would go all the way to 280 (or 288, don't recall), then the engine will reduce output dramatically, to protect the car. For the GT3, it clearly is much better cooled as I didn't get it over 240 degrees in 60-70 degree weather. True test comes next couple of months.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:33 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Me too, but I still find it quite hard to believe even if the car was already warmed up at normal oil temp 210-220F or so. It's just highly unlikely the oil temp will spike 80+ degrees in 3 laps unless something is wrong with the radiator or the temp gauge was faulty.

Can you provide some technical data on synthetics "actively vaporizing" above 275F as that is the first time I've ever heard that???? Mobil1 and several other manufacturers says their oils provide protection well above 300F, though again that doesn't guarantee that specific engine parts will like that hot of a temp for a very long period of time.

Yes, timing will be pulled and I do notice my ZR1 lose a little edge when coolant is above 240F and engine oil temp is above 285F or so. It's still pulling fairly hard, but it's definitely being held back a little by the computer to keep the engine in 1 piece.

Well, I guess you should stay out of this thread. All of us in here are GT3 enthusiasts (even if we may not own one currently or be able to drive it...<cough 991 GT3 cough>) But most car enthusiasts appreciate all fun/fast/cool/nice looking cars etc., even if that may not be the specific car for them. Hence, the reason there is this thread to discuss the competition and it's merits or lack thereof.

Then, there are other guys who buy a Porsche for brand snobbery and would be "embarrassed" by driving or owning a plebian Chevrolet and want to live in their own little world where the only brand worth discussing originates from Stuttgart. So, I guess we know where you stand. Carry on.
well said
Old 06-14-2014, 03:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Where's @savyboy? I think he took delivery of his z28 already, no? Maybe he can weigh in.
he's on 997 gt3 board

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The Z28 is having over heating issues. I just read it last week in Road and track or may be Automobile when they were doing a comparison test against 2 other cars.
t.
every car overheats on track, all m3, ferrari, and some porsches. it not that hard to add more cooling capacity. u guys worry too much. engine overheats, trans, diff, suspension fails, engine blows up... it's part of fast driving.. if not, you probably aren't going all that fast.

Originally Posted by mainly
no im in my thirties.

are you 76?
lol, lord reter is 90+ now.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,288 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I am sure there a bunch of Ferrari, Mclaren and Lamborghini guys that wouldn't drive a Porsche for the same reason.
True. A Porsche isn't exclusive enough for those guys.

However, Porsche is the most exclusive/expensive brand where the owners actually drive and track their cars regularly. "The everyday supercar" as they say.

Every one I know that has a Mclaren, Lambo, and Ferrari (outside of california owners) drive their cars very rarely, mainly cars and coffee and short weekend drives in the country.

All those cars lose so much value for each mile driven, so that no one really "drives' those cars, because they are all so worried about depreciation on the $300,000 vehicles .

Porsche owns the sweet spot, in that their cars are better and more exclusive than 90% of the cars on the road, but people actually use them, drive them, and get another one 5 years later, because the hit for putting 40,000 miles on a 911 has been much easier to handle than 40,000 miles on a 458, which would lose over half its value.

Last edited by Drifting; 06-14-2014 at 10:31 AM. Reason: .
Old 06-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Amazing amazing car. It will kill all Porsches up to and possibly including 918. It also has full track warranty. Brake package is insane. I have heard some crazy Ring times from this car. If motor blows you buy a new one for 14k!!!!
I would like to see this new Vette breaking 7 minutes at the Ring. If a proper setup Viper can't break 7'10" then I doubt this Vette won't either!

Quick Reply: Here is a sport car we GT3 owners need to avoid