Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap Dates

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,466 Likes on 765 Posts

I know that a few people who brought their cars in for a regular service had them done by the Mechanic and it was them that advised to do it now, any way, even though they may not be experiencing any issues. I would not go out of my way but if your car is at the Dealer I would maybe hint that it may be good as a preventative measure.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Also - I expressed concerns about the tires, battery ect and the Dealership will replace any thing that will need to replaced when the go thru their detailed prep work. I am going to make sure my Dealer brings in some very good detailers to make this car looks like it came from the showroom and then I will need the clear bra placed on the whole front of the car(Hood fully wrapped), side mirrors, headlights, and the DRLs. Will also need the windows tinted and some other things done before pick-up that I need installed. I am hoping/assuming these things will be done at their cost they get from their installers. If I suspect they will be trying to make money off me I will not be very happy. I will not let the emotion of this car at pick up blind me.
Wrap and tint done by dealer? Yikes. Do you know who/what materials they use? I would be very leery of that personally.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,466 Likes on 765 Posts

^Long story but I have had about 5 cars wrapped and have learned the hard way. And both wrapped by highly recommended Independents and by my Dealerships( they also use Independents) but the difference is the Dealerships have a bigger stick to swing.

Now, it is not my first rodeo so I always meet the installers at the Dealership to review who they represent/use ect and also so they understand my expectation. In a nut shell, I have had great success and excellent workmanship provided by my Dealers. Remember, the Dealer needs to keep you happy and their installers need the repeated business so every one is joined at the hip. If I am not happy, they will immediately take off and start from scratch. I also include that in to the final price on my car so "no tickey, no laundry". So after car is wrapped and widows tinted - all to perfection - every one walks away happy.

Now, I also know that my specific Dealers use top notch guys so that works in my favor and I am certainly not insinuating that there are not a lot of great independent installers out there. I just like leveraging the Dealer and their Installer in to raising their game/skill to the highest level on my vehicles.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ This is Sage advice.

I have also tried to use the installer used my my independent on a private basis (and even paid in cash to his benefit) and found that it works out no cheaper and in fact its much more difficult to get remedy to issues (and makes you feel less comfortable as its a more personal relationship). The result when using the dealer was much better in execution, plus I could be a fussy b*stard without much guilt, and not really any more expensive...
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Just talked with my service rep. They will order the parts and switch the rotors after the car comes back from the engine swap during the new PDI.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:00 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Just talked with my service rep. They will order the parts and switch the rotors after the car comes back from the engine swap during the new PDI.
David -- did you notice the clicking sound prior to the stop sale?

Hmmm. I'm a Cat B guy. Wondering if I should pre empt this issue or just take delivery first.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Mike, I saved this image that another RL-er posted:
Thanks, Tim. I never heard any unusual noises but will take note again....when the car is drivable.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool Jimmy. You certainly know what you are doing. I worry about folks who just assume the dealer uses quality products. Not generally the case.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:22 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks, Tim. I never heard any unusual noises but will take note again....when the car is drivable.
Let me know what you do. I don't know if I should have them preemptively changed...OR take delivery and change as needed (after I have at least SOME wear on those bad boys....).
Old 05-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Let me know what you do. I don't know if I should have them preemptively changed...OR take delivery and change as needed (after I have at least SOME wear on those bad boys....).
I'll have my dealer check it out when they get the car back. Like I said I've never heard anything unusual but I don't know how obvious the noise is supposed to be from inside the car. And having my wife try to listen for anything from the outside is an exercise in futility for both of us!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the call. The car will be taken to the Dealership "within the next week or so", then transported to San Diego for the work. They want both keys. Comp. is as most of the US owners have heard. $2000 per month from Feb. 20, 12 month extension of the warranty, return of the loaner when the car is returned to me. Return date is a vague but is around end of June/first week of July. Built in November, picked up and paid for in January.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rallyeporsche
Just got the call. The car will be taken to the Dealership "within the next week or so", then transported to San Diego for the work. They want both keys. Comp. is as most of the US owners have heard. $2000 per month from Feb. 20, 12 month extension of the warranty, return of the loaner when the car is returned to me. Return date is a vague but is around end of June/first week of July. Built in November, picked up and paid for in January.
My build and pick-up were the same so we should be on about the same schedule. Interesting (frustrating?) that we keep hearing different things about whether the car will go direct to the port or to the dealer first....
Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Cool Jimmy. You certainly know what you are doing. I worry about folks who just assume the dealer uses quality products. Not generally the case.
My dealer sends the work out to an independent vendor. They use the same vendor as Ferrari in San Diego. Not many dealers do the work themselves.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:25 PM
sebearstian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May I ask what is the problem with the ceramic brakes? I have that option on my yet to be delivered car.

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
For those of us that were going to have the ceramic rotors replaced before all of the engine problems, has anyone heard if the rotors will be taken care during the engine replacement?
Old 05-20-2014, 10:46 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by huracan
May I ask what is the problem with the ceramic brakes? I have that option on my yet to be delivered car.
There was a report that the clips may come loose and cause a clicking sound while braking, especially in reverse.

I asked Ian if they would handle the change automatically. He is looking into it.

FYI, my understanding is that it doesn't represent a risk, just an annoyance. To that end, Porsche was originally only replacing clips that demonstrated the issue, which I understand is a tolerance issue.

Hope it helps. I'll post the feedback as soon as I hear.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Dates