991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autoweek/Andy Pilgrim 991 GT3 vs Z/28 at Barber Motorsport Park

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014 | 12:11 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

No way do you need to swap oil every track weekend. I swap the oil in my ZR1 (same oiling system) every 6 months or so and 3-4 track events. I just top off as necessary. The car has an OLM that is pretty accurate, but I'll still change it at 50% or more showing on oil life.

As an aside, I've never swapped transmission or gear oil in any of my Vettes that I've tracked very aggressively. Maybe stupid, but I've had zero issues before I traded the cars. I always figured running fresh fluid (with it's detergents, etc.) messes up the homeostasis in the gearbox or diff.

Additionally, if you put SRF fluid in the brake lines, you can flush once a year, maybe do a quick half-bottle bleed, mid-way through the year if you're running a lot through really hot months. SRF fluid is a game changer for me. I was trashing Motul 600 in my ZR1 which worked fine in my '08 C6 and '01 C5. The ZR1 just generates too much heat. I'm guessing the Z/28 with it's CC brakes and little bit heavier weight will NEED SRF for those of you who aren't complete cheap bastards. Spend the money and be happy with a firm brake pedal the whole weekend and whole year for that matter.
Old 03-30-2014 | 01:09 AM
wanna911
Race Car

GM claimed only one year for the ZR1 initially as well. I think as the hype for these things blows up, they will make more of them. At least I'm hoping so. I want this more than a C7Z at this point.

I saw a fully aero'd C7 at Barber in Feb driven by a former World Challenge driver and shop owner run 1:35's on Hoosiers.

Originally Posted by hf1
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014...IEWS/140329959

So after all their "vital" efforts to cut weight, the Camaro Z/28 weighs basically the SAME as the Camaro 1LE?

With 3,850lbs on 50 threadwear tires you'd be lucky to get a full track day out of a set of tires.

That's not too much less than folks were getting out of the GT3 remember? RWS takes a toll. And then there is always the no slicks clause, which will not be fixed with the connecting rods.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Now you're just begging for banishment to the Other Marque twilight zone…
Old 03-30-2014 | 11:13 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Autoweek could only obtain a 991 GT3 for their published test via backdoor methods (at the last possible minute in February before the GT3 driving quarantine and recall went into effect), Porsche would not give them a GT3, nor were they willing to give MotorTrend a GT3 for their test against the Z/28.

Now that these real-life tests and reviews are out and have spoken in lieu of the Great Marketing Machine's Kool-aid spew, what will Porsche do in regards to providing a GT3 for the upcoming warm weather magazine tests at Laguna Seca and such?

Does Porsche:

1. Refuse to directly supply a GT3 because they are still quarantined and locked down, and then have that fact lead the magazine articles.
2. Supply a factory GT3 with a remanufactured engine, knowing they are likely to suffer an embarrassing lap time in relation to a car that is half the price.
3. Ignore the request for a car and force the magazines to source a private owner GT3 that has it's engine replaced and is now out of quarantine (and will that even be possible at that time).
4. No GT3's with remanufactured engines available anywhere in time for the tests. Porsche sheepishly hangs their corporate head, shuffles the feet, and quietly mutters "sorry, see you next year, or in two years, with a $200,000 GT3RS with track seats, manual transmission and no rear-wheel steering".

It's obvious that the GT3's new track nemesis, the Z/28, appeared from nowhere, and at the worst possible time for Porsche to attempt any counter at all.

So what happens in the warm weather tests that are about to be conducted? They are going to happen and everyone will be looking to pit the Z/28 against the GT3. This is a very fair question and discussion.
Old 03-30-2014 | 12:10 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Some here awhile ago were making the argument of the Manual vs. PDK GT3 that speed was not everything when the 991 GT3 was announced. I think that same argument can be applied in the case too.

What the Z28 has accomplished in lap times is amazing but the comparison with the GT3 and GTR is good for satistical comparison but not necessarily buying decision material for the majority. How many people in reality will be cross shopping the Z28 against a GT3 ?? Not many I suspect.

Weither or not Porsche provides a GT3 for any future comparison against the Z28 is irrelevant, as they don't consider the Z28 a direct competitor to the GT3 so no sleep will be lost. These cars for the most part appeal to different demographics...

Old 03-30-2014 | 12:36 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Some here awhile ago were making the argument of the Manual vs. PDK GT3 that speed was not everything when the 991 GT3 was announced. I think that same argument can be applied in the case too.

What the Z28 has accomplished in lap times is amazing but the comparison with the GT3 and GTR is good for satistical comparison but not necessarily buying decision material for the majority. How many people in reality will be cross shopping the Z28 against a GT3 ?? Not many I suspect.

Weither or not Porsche provides a GT3 for any future comparison against the Z28 is irrelevant, as they don't consider the Z28 a direct competitor to the GT3 so no sleep will be lost. These cars for the most part appeal to different demographics...

You make interesting points and your point of view is that of a tracker having owned various makes/models, I respect that.

On the other hand, I have the same background as you and have come to a completely different conclusion. So a case of "intelligent people can disagree"

I'll note anecdotally- from IM's and emails I've received and posts I've read on other forums, some names you'd recognize immediately from RL are buying/seeking to buy a Z/28. So that is evidence it is being cross-shopped. We can revisit this observation in 3-6 months and see how things have evolved.

What else will the press compare to? You can't put a Mustang of any kind up against it, that would be, well, analogous to an adult stealing candy from a special needs child. Ditto the Cayman (which I love the driving experience). So that leaves as the only natural competitors the new Stingray, the GT-R, 458 and GT3 as track oriented and similar lap times?

Would it not be a glaring omission to not have a GT3 to test?
Old 03-30-2014 | 01:39 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savyboy
You make interesting points and your point of view is that of a tracker having owned various makes/models, I respect that.

On the other hand, I have the same background as you and have come to a completely different conclusion. So a case of "intelligent people can disagree"

I'll note anecdotally- from IM's and emails I've received and posts I've read on other forums, some names you'd recognize immediately from RL are buying/seeking to buy a Z/28. So that is evidence it is being cross-shopped. We can revisit this observation in 3-6 months and see how things have evolved.

What else will the press compare to? You can't put a Mustang of any kind up against it, that would be, well, analogous to an adult stealing candy from a special needs child. Ditto the Cayman (which I love the driving experience). So that leaves as the only natural competitors the new Stingray, the GT-R, 458 and GT3 as track oriented and similar lap times?

Would it not be a glaring omission to not have a GT3 to test?
You are correct that from a pure performance standpoint, the cars mentioned have similar performance and makes for a valid comparison.
My point was on a broader market perspective, the comparison is mute for most buyers. We car/track junkies are a different subset and a very small group in the greater scheme of things.

I would love the opportunity to drive the Z28 on the track to see just how good it is and look forward to reading yours and others here on this forum opinions and comparisons when you get your cars

On a slightly OT note, me and a friend with a 997.1 GT3 and hoping to go down to SM later in the year when/if I get my 991 GT3 in time. Would be good to meet up with you so we can have a car guy comparison of the Z28/GT3. When you get your Bac Mono, maybe i can bring my Radical down for another comparison

Old 03-30-2014 | 02:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

How many people in reality will be cross shopping the Z28 against a GT3 ?? Not many I suspect.
I did. Strongly considered it, given the value. Then I saw the 991 GT3 in person and made a decision. I have the scratch the GT3 itch first. Who knows what will happen from there.
Old 03-30-2014 | 02:57 PM
frayed
Race Car

Autoweek could only obtain a 991 GT3 for their published test via backdoor methods (at the last possible minute in February before the GT3 driving quarantine and recall went into effect), Porsche would not give them a GT3, nor were they willing to give MotorTrend a GT3 for their test against the Z/28.

Now that these real-life tests and reviews are out and have spoken in lieu of the Great Marketing Machine's Kool-aid spew, what will Porsche do in regards to providing a GT3 for the upcoming warm weather magazine tests at Laguna Seca and such?

Does Porsche:

1. Refuse to directly supply a GT3 because they are still quarantined and locked down, and then have that fact lead the magazine articles.
2. Supply a factory GT3 with a remanufactured engine, knowing they are likely to suffer an embarrassing lap time in relation to a car that is half the price.
3. Ignore the request for a car and force the magazines to source a private owner GT3 that has it's engine replaced and is now out of quarantine (and will that even be possible at that time).
4. No GT3's with remanufactured engines available anywhere in time for the tests. Porsche sheepishly hangs their corporate head, shuffles the feet, and quietly mutters "sorry, see you next year, or in two years, with a $200,000 GT3RS with track seats, manual transmission and no rear-wheel steering".

It's obvious that the GT3's new track nemesis, the Z/28, appeared from nowhere, and at the worst possible time for Porsche to attempt any counter at all.

So what happens in the warm weather tests that are about to be conducted? They are going to happen and everyone will be looking to pit the Z/28 against the GT3. This is a very fair question and discussion.
LOL. savy, while I appreciate your enthusiasm, the melodrama in your posts is a little thick. There is no such thing as a remanufactured engine. Embarrassing lap time? Hardly. Lookit, one key reason for the mulletcar's fast laps is, of course, those sticky tires. Run that same compound on the GT3 and the laptimes will become even further apart. But even with the less grippy MPSC's it's still faster. Hardly embarrasing.

@Joe, I'm cross shopping both cars. 6 speed manual, LS7 with brutal soundtrack, with near GT3 track performance at half the price is pretty compelling.

I put a deposit down on Friday for a 2015 @ MSRP.

Still deciding whether I will take delivery of both cars.

One thing I really like about the mulletcar is that camaro-stigma is easier to live with than porsche-stigma. But then again, I've always loved muscle cars.. . . and this car really, shouldn't be this fast and it's mind boggling that it's even mentioned in the same breath as the mighty GT3.
Old 03-30-2014 | 03:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Not many I suspect.
Z/28 on order. No-brainer IMO.
Old 03-30-2014 | 03:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Given the typical lead times for published magazine articles, the test was probably done well before the stop sale. Also I probably wouldn't characterize getting a car from Champion Porsche, the largest volume dealer in the US, as "back door". I do admire your, and others, enthusiasm for the car. Not my cup of tea; despite the greater refinement of the new ones I finished with muscle cars about 35 years ago , but I'm glad this one is meeting your expectations.
Old 03-30-2014 | 03:45 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by frayed
LOL. savy, while I appreciate your enthusiasm, the melodrama in your posts is a little thick.
Well written. Circumspect yet perspicuous.
Old 03-30-2014 | 03:49 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nizer
Z/28 on order. No-brainer IMO.
If this is a completely inappropriate question, please forgive my uncouthness but, ah, may I ask if you had to pay over MSRP?

I'm asking for a friend, of course.

Old 03-30-2014 | 04:00 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
If this is a completely inappropriate question, please forgive my uncouthness but, ah, may I ask if you had to pay over MSRP?

I'm asking for a friend, of course.

I was late to the game. Offered a 2014 allocation last week for $2k over MSRP and passed. Chump change in the greater scheme of things but I'm fundamentally opposed to paying over MSRP. Secured a 2015 allocation at MSRP this week. Continue to hunt for a 2014 but not worried if I don't find one.

Delivery of 2014's begin 6-8 weeks. Not sure on 2015's.

If you want one I suggest getting a leg on it because they are not easy to find and I'm in a not particularly car crazy, foreign car biased part of the country.
Old 03-30-2014 | 04:01 PM
savyboy
Drifting

You are correct that from a pure performance standpoint, the cars mentioned have similar performance and makes for a valid comparison.
My point was on a broader market perspective, the comparison is mute for most buyers. We car/track junkies are a different subset and a very small group in the greater scheme of things.

I would love the opportunity to drive the Z28 on the track to see just how good it is and look forward to reading yours and others here on this forum opinions and comparisons when you get your cars

On a slightly OT note, me and a friend with a 997.1 GT3 and hoping to go down to SM later in the year when/if I get my 991 GT3 in time. Would be good to meet up with you so we can have a car guy comparison of the Z28/GT3. When you get your Bac Mono, maybe i can bring my Radical down for another comparison

Gotcha!

I have no doubt that you will spank my butt with your Radical, such fast cars, and you are a very skilled driver But it will be fun nevertheless to try and keep up with you!

Agreed it will be great to meet up again and compare whatever driving toy each of us has on hand at the time!

SM 2014! Woo-hoo!
Old 03-30-2014 | 04:08 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by frayed
LOL. savy, while I appreciate your enthusiasm, the melodrama in your posts is a little thick. There is no such thing as a remanufactured engine.
It's such a heavy-drama forum, I was trying to keep pace

Those 945 (or whatever the number is) engines will get opened up,retrofitted with new components, closed, and then installed in a GT3 somewhere, somehow. They won't scrap them. The automotive business considers parts that have been run and then changed/updated as remanufactured. I was employed in the automotive aftermarket for 15 years, and sold a lot of remanufactured/rebuilt parts. Google "remanufactured engines", it's an industry common term.

Quick Reply: Autoweek/Andy Pilgrim 991 GT3 vs Z/28 at Barber Motorsport Park