991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autoweek/Andy Pilgrim 991 GT3 vs Z/28 at Barber Motorsport Park

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014 | 11:06 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

But then he's just an accomplished GM factory driver who tested both cars on track back to back; what does he know?
There that answers my question.

Now we just need an American Porsche factory leMans driver to back up and support the data. Oh and to have the Proper tires and setup on the Porsche.

Oh, thanks for your response Jon70.

I expect it was difficult for Pilgrim to drive the GT3 because of the rear wheel steering and the flipped weight distribution, even though I imagine the Porsche being closer to 50 50 than the Camaro.

I wonder how it would have turned out if they brought a GTR instead of a GT3?

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 03-27-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2014 | 11:08 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by mooty
OMFG, i find this thread awfully boring.
some like z06
some like c6z06
some like cayman
some like bmw.
some ppl even read magazines

go buy a gt3 and a z28, play around with it. sell the one you dont like.
life too short to TALK
it is about DO

sometimes answer is not conclusive. then buy another GT3 and another Z28 repeat and sell the one you dont like. then repeat again and again, while everyone else just TALK TALK TALK.

pete, bring down that monster, i like to flog it around a bit ;-)

Mooty, you could be a spokesperson for Mountain Dew
Old 03-27-2014 | 11:12 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Why don't you text this guy and ask. He's driven Cups and Camaros.

http://www.lawsonaschenbach.com/#!about/c66t
Old 03-27-2014 | 11:35 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Here is something where people can focus on facts rather then shooting messengers or mentally re-specc'ing test cars to rig the results to better suit their desires:

Why is there no NHTSA crash testing data on 991 bodied Porsches? Or even 997.1/.2 bodies? Because I looked and I can't find it? Maybe I overlooked it? If I did, will someone kindly point it out? Please, not your opinion, I'm specifically seeking objective, factual NHTSA crash test results.

On the other hand:

"While other vehicles have earned an overall NHTSA 5-Star Safety Rating, the Camaro was the first to score a perfect five-star rating in all six test categories. Those include frontal barrier crash test ratings for the driver and passenger, side crash ratings for the driver and passenger, a rollover rating and the vehicle's overall rating."

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/14/2...-nhtsa-safety/

As a person who will push the limits of the car I drive, this is important information in forming a buying decision.
Old 03-27-2014 | 11:41 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I wonder how it would have turned out if they brought a GTR instead of a GT3?
Nissan GT-R? They did you know? You do know that, right?

I'd post the video, but you'll shoot that messenger as well? No? Yes?
Old 03-27-2014 | 11:57 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan39
Still don't get why anyone would want this pig over a C7 with the Z51 package (faster, cheaper) let alone a Z07...
Only reason stated so far is because the Vette, unlike the Camaro, is ugly, apparently.

It's the newest thing introduced on the market, so it must be the baddest. Forget logic, and work on people's emotions. Forget what's already there (C6 Z06, C7 Z51) and what's coming next (C7 Z06/07) -- focus on what's being peddled right now. Forget the extra 500lbs -- focus on the sticky tires and the yards of extra cooling to keep chubby from having a heat-stroke. Tell all mags to do the same, or else...

It's how marketing works.
Old 03-27-2014 | 12:27 PM
rave426
Rennlist Member

I was not a fan of the base Camaro, but since the announcement of this car, I have been excited. It has special factor about it that is rare in American Muscle cars. I love it to an extent. Not the biggest fan of the styling, but what it offers in character is amazing.

Good job GM
Old 03-27-2014 | 12:51 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Oh, thanks for your response Jon70.

I expect it was difficult for Pilgrim to drive the GT3 because of the rear wheel steering and the flipped weight distribution,
Really ? Really ?!
Difficult for a pro driver to drive a GT3 ? LOL.. in which planet ?
I can toss a GT3 very easy with 100% confidence and i'm not a pro driver.
Old 03-27-2014 | 12:56 PM
frayed
Race Car

Based on discussions I've had with current 991 GT3 owners, one of whom who has perhaps the most impressive stable of cars on this forum (Scuds, lambos, classic muscle, etc), and from what I've read about the mullet car, I've come to a conclusion.

I want both sauerkraut and a mullet.
Old 03-27-2014 | 01:12 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by savyboy
Nissan GT-R? They did you know? You do know that, right?

I'd post the video, but you'll shoot that messenger as well? No? Yes?
Sorry I meant not to shoot any messenger, and if I did the gun "Just went off"! Beyond that I did not know the credentials of Mr Pilgrim before this morning.

Someone brought up the notion of Chevy supplying a ringer for testing. They've did that with the cars they supplied to the American car magazines when the original ZR-1 came out. But I'm not saying they did that here, I don't think they would have too. Their manufactured engines these days are more than capable. Besides with the Original ZR-1 we're talking over 20 years ago when we were finally starting to conquer and adapting, and learning, how to overcome emission issues.

There is a Video of a GTR vs the new Z28?

Besides, Chevy is having one of their own to perform the test. Should be much more unbiased driver to perform the test, say someone like Patrick Long; ya ya Patrick Long would be perfect.
Old 03-27-2014 | 01:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Why is there no NHTSA crash testing data on 991 bodied Porsches? Or even 997.1/.2 bodies? Because I looked and I can't find it? Maybe I overlooked it? If I did, will someone kindly point it out? Please, not your opinion, I'm specifically seeking objective, factual NHTSA crash test results.

As a person who will push the limits of the car I drive, this is important information in forming a buying decision.
Blame a lack of funding and a change in the testing procedure.

From cars.com:

"If the model you seek is missing crash-test results, they may be pending or the vehicle may not be tested. This situation worsened when NHTSA revamped its tests for 2011, essentially discarding ratings for the majority of models. Both agencies (NHTSA IIHS) concentrate on the highest-volume vehicles. Convertibles are rarely tested for this reason, though for the first time in 2007 IIHS tested 10 models, including several best-sellers like the Chrysler Sebring and Ford Mustang. Results for new or recently re-engineered models are likely to appear months after the car goes on sale because both agencies purchase their test subjects from dealerships."

The Camaro is common so it get's tested. The 991 isn't common, so it doesn't. Simple. Also, note that the agencies purchase their test cars from dealers. There is a disincentive to purchase very expensive models.
Old 03-27-2014 | 01:18 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Sorry I meant not to shoot any messenger, and if I did the gun "Just went off"! Beyond that I did not know the credentials of Mr Pilgrim before this morning.

Someone brought up the notion of Chevy supplying a ringer for testing. They've did that with the cars they supplied to the American car magazines when the original ZR-1 came out. But I'm not saying they did that here, I don't think they would have too. Their manufactured engines these days are more than capable. Besides with the Original ZR-1 we're talking over 20 years ago when we were finally starting to conquer and adapting, and learning, how to overcome emission issues.

There is a Video of a GTR vs the new Z28?

Besides, Chevy is having one of their own to perform the test. Should be much more independent and chosen an unbiased driver to perform the test, say someone like Patrick Long; ya ya Patrick Long would be perfect.
I respect your reply. Far classier and much more integrity than others have been able to muster

1. Regarding ringers: Chevy let one team of magazine testers take one of the cars to a local dyno in Alabama. By themselves. GM has been more open and detailed on the Z/28 and its development than Porsche has ever been on any vehicle in their lives. It's all out to there to be found for folks that seek it.

2. Here is the GT-R video. Different writer, Randy Pobst driving. Enjoy

Old 03-27-2014 | 01:24 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Blame a lack of funding and a change in the testing procedure.

From cars.com:

"If the model you seek is missing crash-test results, they may be pending or the vehicle may not be tested. This situation worsened when NHTSA revamped its tests for 2011, essentially discarding ratings for the majority of models. Both agencies (NHTSA IIHS) concentrate on the highest-volume vehicles. Convertibles are rarely tested for this reason, though for the first time in 2007 IIHS tested 10 models, including several best-sellers like the Chrysler Sebring and Ford Mustang. Results for new or recently re-engineered models are likely to appear months after the car goes on sale because both agencies purchase their test subjects from dealerships."

The Camaro is common so it get's tested. The 991 isn't common, so it doesn't. Simple.
I simply sought objective facts.

It's reasonable to assume however, if the Porsche 991 body crash-ratings were good, they would have found a way to produce a car for testing so as to have the results to tout.

Just as they could have produced a 991 GT3 for the magazine tests, and chose to supply a Turbo S instead.

(As you note) The simplest conclusion is often and usually the correct one.

Last edited by savyboy; 03-27-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2014 | 01:26 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

MURICA' F-YEA
Old 03-27-2014 | 01:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I did not in any way insinuate it was a conspiracy, I simply sought objective facts.

It's reasonable to assume however, if the Porsche 991 body crash-ratings were good, they would have found a way to produce a car for testing so as to have the results to tout.

Just as they could have produced a 991 GT3 for the magazine tests, and chose to supply a Turbo S instead.

(As you note) The simplest conclusion is often and usually the correct one.
I deleted the conspiracy line as you were posting, apparently. I realized it might overstep what you were suggesting. I also added that the testing agencies purchase their own cars from dealerships. I suspect this is to eliminate the possibility of ringers from manufacturers but also limits what cars they can purchase based on their testing budget.

Quick Reply: Autoweek/Andy Pilgrim 991 GT3 vs Z/28 at Barber Motorsport Park