Sponsored by:

Autoweek/Andy Pilgrim 991 GT3 vs Z/28 at Barber Motorsport Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:09 PM
werks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I don't know, almost 5k to replace 4 rotors and probably another grand to include pads plus shipping, tax install you are looking at 7-8 k. About 8 percent of the as new value and 12-15 percent of sale value. That sounds steep to me. You could buy a Brembo, Wildwood or Alcon kit for that money and have more money for tires. For me if I'm investing such a high percentage in the car it won't be for disposable items.
A Wilwood system is imho an entry level braking system and would not be an increase in performance. In order to improve performance you would be looking at something like a Brembo GTR system and then you are talking about $10k per axle so roughly $20k for the system or comparable level Alcon syste with similar costs. If you picked up a standard GT system it would be at best a lateral move as far as performance but then you can plan on the typical replacement of rings every few track days. I'm not sure what 15-15.5" Brembo iron rings go for but I'm guessing that they are going to be around $850ea (if not more). So replace those once in a year and you are looking at $3400, do it twice and you are looking at $6800. So are you actually saving anything??? This is a heavy car and it's going to generate a lot of heat from braking and I would think that with iron rotors you are going to be dealing with cracking and such issues that with the carbons you will not deal with.

As far as shipping, tax, install etc. you order them from Amazon so shipping is free, depending on where you are there is no tax and if you are tracking your car you should learn the basics on how to work on it. To replace the rotors on these cars you just need to remove 2 bolts to take off the caliper and the rotor slides off. It takes about 15 minutes per rotor to change them.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:23 PM
werks
Advanced

Originally Posted by jumper5836
What's the definition of a track day. 4x 30 min sessions?

I am surprised rears cost more then the fronts to replace. It's opposite for our 911's

My current season is 12-16 track days on a set of tires and pads. steel rotors last me 3-4 seasons $1700 for tires and $1300 for pads. So around 3k to go and play for the season. I am also talking Cdn dollars and taxes so it would be almost half that cost in the USA.
My definition of a track day is 5x 25minute sessions so roughly 2hours track time per day. In regards to the rears costing more it's the different hat design for the parking brake.

If I'm reading what you wrote correctly you are getting 12-16 track days out of a set of pads and tires and a set of iron rotors last you 3-4 seasons then I would say that you are exceptionaly gentle with your equipment. Obviously consumeable wear is going to be dictated by by your pace, the track layout, your driving style etc in a nutshell, how much you stress the parts. In your case I would not be surprised if the carbon ceramic rotors lasted you the life of the car.

I run predominately at Thunder Hill which in my car is a pretty fast track and I use quite a bit of braking etc. and for me front pads last 5 days. Rears last about 7 and a sticker set of slicks will last me about 5 days (which seems to be good compared to the consumeables of most of the GT3 guys I see there especially in regards to tire wear).
Old 04-01-2014, 02:40 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
+1. Uhm...... Are u thinking the same too? Hahaha. Mike
What are you guys saying. I'm not pushing it. Only have old video and we are not allowed to time at DE. Though I believe the fastest I've lapped is a high 1:37 top speed 220 km on the straight with a 996 C4S 3300 lbs + driver stock suspension on PS Cups. So it's a heavy car the tt is 250 km top speed and corner entry is at least 20km more before braking to the same cornering speeds as the C4S. Never timed it but it's way faster the the C4S and I haven't even went to PS cups yet, still spending time on PS2's while I learn the tt's capabilities.

From trackpedia.com typical lap times at Mosport
Porsche 2001-carrera 2 - Stock-ROW 030 Suspension, Michelin Sport Cups - Black run group PCA 1:40.000
Corvette ZR-1 1:35
Corvette C5 1:45

Old 04-01-2014, 03:08 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

^looks like that track is easy on brakes. The tracks here in NorCal require more wear and tear on brakes with ls being the brake eater. When I first started my front rotors could last a whole season(14 track events average 4 25 min sessions)but as I got faster reduced to half on rotors. I use two front rotors a year. Ask Mooty how long his front rotors last - its 4 rotors a year for him. Mike
Old 04-01-2014, 03:43 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by werks
My definition of a track day is 5x 25minute sessions so roughly 2hours track time per day. In regards to the rears costing more it's the different hat design for the parking brake.

If I'm reading what you wrote correctly you are getting 12-16 track days out of a set of pads and tires and a set of iron rotors last you 3-4 seasons then I would say that you are exceptionaly gentle with your equipment. Obviously consumeable wear is going to be dictated by by your pace, the track layout, your driving style etc in a nutshell, how much you stress the parts. In your case I would not be surprised if the carbon ceramic rotors lasted you the life of the car.

I run predominately at Thunder Hill which in my car is a pretty fast track and I use quite a bit of braking etc. and for me front pads last 5 days. Rears last about 7 and a sticker set of slicks will last me about 5 days (which seems to be good compared to the consumeables of most of the GT3 guys I see there especially in regards to tire wear).
ok sounds like switching to ceramics would be a good thing. now only if I could find aftermarket for my car since OEM is totally not worth the cost.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:04 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

^looks like that track is easy on brakes. The tracks here in NorCal require more wear and tear on brakes with ls being the brake eater. When I first started my front rotors could last a whole season(14 track events average 4 25 min sessions)but as I got faster reduced to half on rotors. I use two front rotors a year. Ask Mooty how long his front rotors last - its 4 rotors a year for him. Mike
It's used to be the same for me as well. First 2 years I didn't ever wear out anything. Was doing 1:45 back then with street tires.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

I started cracking rotors day 1 LOL

But I only drive Flatout.

Mosport, I miss Mosport 1:3099 on RA1. Or as I like to say 1:30 LOL
Old 04-01-2014, 04:22 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Very nice lap. Most GT3's here are no where near that.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:33 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by werks
A Wilwood system is imho an entry level braking system and would not be an increase in performance. In order to improve performance you would be looking at something like a Brembo GTR system and then you are talking about $10k per axle so roughly $20k for the system or comparable level Alcon syste with similar costs. If you picked up a standard GT system it would be at best a lateral move as far as performance but then you can plan on the typical replacement of rings every few track days. I'm not sure what 15-15.5" Brembo iron rings go for but I'm guessing that they are going to be around $850ea (if not more). So replace those once in a year and you are looking at $3400, do it twice and you are looking at $6800. So are you actually saving anything??? This is a heavy car and it's going to generate a lot of heat from braking and I would think that with iron rotors you are going to be dealing with cracking and such issues that with the carbons you will not deal with.

As far as shipping, tax, install etc. you order them from Amazon so shipping is free, depending on where you are there is no tax and if you are tracking your car you should learn the basics on how to work on it. To replace the rotors on these cars you just need to remove 2 bolts to take off the caliper and the rotor slides off. It takes about 15 minutes per rotor to change them.
You are correct. The only thing is, for me, that's ok. I have a track only car. This car would be used to cruise slowly in on the street, an occasional mountain run, drag day, and a rare track day to see what she can do. As long as the brakes can stop me for a hot lap or 3-4 when I'm on it, it's ok. Any other time is for fun only so sacrificing a little performance is ok. I'm just as inclined to send the rotors to coleman racing and have them duplicated in steel and pay 300 bucks a disk after that with some ceramic pads. My use for the car will differ slightly from most. Pretty much never will I run every lap of every session. I would like to see how close I can get to Randy Pobsts lap at Barber though. And how fast it will Lap Road Atlanta. After that, stepping down the grip and brakes. Being as its limited production and I get attached to cars she may be a keeper so I wouldn't run her too much on the track. Another reason the weight doesn't bother me.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM
werks
Advanced

Here's a few laps on our local track which is Thunder Hill. Mooty, Mikymu etc. track here quite a bit so I'll let people familiar with the track comment on how the times rate but this is my Z06 with carbon ceramic brakes and driving like this front pads last me 5 days, rears 7 and rotors about 25 track day front, 30 rear.

Last edited by werks; 04-02-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:01 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi. I don't hang out here, but just got my Autoweek, saw the article, and figured there must be an RL thread. Wasn't expecting such an impassioned discussion! I read the whole thread.

My main thoughts would be: hat's off to Chevy, for starters, for noticing. The reality is that Porsche has been one of very few mfrs for years with any kind of product catering to the track enthusiast let alone racer. First a decade of steadily improving vettes culminating with the C7 now this, it's great for enthusiasts that they're paying attn.

Second thought would be: the separation between best and worst cars just gets smaller every year. Listen to the arguments on this thread, quibbling over interior finishes, styling, weight etc: the reality is the delta between a '64 904 and a '64 Impala 409 was massive. (like that model number assymetry? :-) Today we quibble over details, with plenty of folks picking the Impala.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I started cracking rotors day 1 LOL

But I only drive Flatout.

TRAKCAR 2010 911 GT3RS MOSPORT 07-15-12 best lap of the day 1:30.9 - YouTube
That is F Fast Sir! Well Done. Carrying way more speed thru the corners than I am. Fastest lap I've seen at Mosport in a stock GT3 RS driven by an ex racer, 1:29.5.

Last edited by TurboS; 04-02-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:33 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
TRAKCAR 2010 911 GT3RS MOSPORT 07-15-12 best lap of the day 1:30.9 - YouTube
Really smooth driving. Do you remember why you sold that car?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:14 AM
myphillylawyer
Track Day

Default Trackers or Drivers never the twain shall meet

Maybe this particular thread has greater meaning to those that have chimed in so far...those who passionately defend their brand;

mine cost less and is better ROI
mine is best because its prettier
mine is best because it has a european pedigree
mine is best because its made in America
blah blah blah

I couldn't give a rat's a** about a track car. Why would I buy a car for the 12 to 16 days (and that's you really really serious track guys) a year that I use it for that purpose? Even as a "track guy" I would buy a car for the other 350 days that I drive back and forth to the office and go on spirited drives on nice days on enjoyable twisty roads. Did you all miss the conclusion arrived at by these biased GM drivers?? If the car were their DD it would be the Porsche GT3.

I recently owned a GT-R as well as a C6 ZR1. Both were loud, harsh brutal machines that lacked fit, finish, sophistication, comfort etc. They were fun for a moment but as DD's they soon became too much of a bad thing and were sold and forgotten. Do you think Porsche or GM manufactures a car hoping to win the minds or hearts of track enthusiasts? How many of you folks exist? How many of either of these cars will ever see the inside of a racetrack?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:54 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,494 Likes on 2,557 Posts

Originally Posted by myphillylawyer
I couldn't give a rat's a** about a track car. Why would I buy a car for the 12 to 16 days (and that's you really really serious track guys) a year that I use it for that purpose? Even as a "track guy" I would buy a car for the other 350 days that I drive back and forth to the office and go on spirited drives on nice days on enjoyable twisty roads. Did you all miss the conclusion arrived at by these biased GM drivers?? If the car were their DD it would be the Porsche GT3.
'Serious' track guys are often at the track a lot more than 12-16 days/yr, more like double or triple that amount, and they drive their cars hard, so they need cars that are up to the task and not overly compromised to accommodate road use.

Quick Reply: Autoweek/Andy Pilgrim 991 GT3 vs Z/28 at Barber Motorsport Park