Sponsored by:

Compensation

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 03:25 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Mike in CA, i respect you, but i need to take you out for a beer brother so you can get this nightmare out of your mind. Mike, either your being delusional or drinking the Porsche kool-aid.
Neither, F1CD, just being logical. Hard to know what you think I'm being delusional about since you don't specify. Regardless, would love to share a beer with you....

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
So why PAG's change in heart this time? I have a hard time seeing this change unless there are more suckas in this world. Please explain they were sorry and helping u poor folk out. Mike
Maybe because it's hard to deny 2 fires that make the news. Maybe because they realized they had an actual problem. Maybe because, in their own self interest, they couldn't afford to take the risk of more bad PR or someone dying. What difference does it make why they're doing it this time? The point is they're doing it, and giving everyone new engines. I don't get what is so hard to understand about that.

Originally Posted by hf1
I didn't mean to imply that they could be BS-ing about the engine replacement (as in lying that they are replacing them?). They could have been honest about there being a problem and about their intent to fix it by replacing all engines. What they'd have a huge problem admitting would be that the "fix" may not be as robust as it would have been had they had a year to solve it, or admitting that perhaps they may have overstretched with their claims to 475hp and 9000rpm rev limit about the engine. I'm not saying that this is the case at all (have no basis for making such a claim), but in the (small) chance that it may be the case, they'd have no choice but to act the way they've been acting so far -- roll the dice with the best "fix" they could come up under the circumstances and pray for the best. It's a (non-negligible) risk that would have entered my equation if I was an owner.
So to sum up, the scenarios are:

a) there's a "small chance" that Porsche is acting the way they are because they had to roll the dice on their reputation and pray for the best with a possibly inadequate fix that was the best they could do in the available time.

or

b) they're acting the way they are because they found a problem with a connecting rod fastener, mustered their engineering expertise to actually fix it, and are confident enough about it to implement the fix in all new engines for customers.

Either scenario is possible, but while the risk of a) may not be zero, I believe it is extremely low. I know you don't own the car or have one on order. I appreciate your concern on behalf of those of us who do, but I'm honestly not worried.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-25-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 AM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Mike. Everyone seems to be picking on you.

You know Mike in the end it's all about dollars. There has to be some pretty decent engineers in that company just to have created this animal car in the first place. So lets hope the engineers will win out. The bean counters also have a vested interest in the brand so I reckon the car will be ok.

I just don't want to be left with a car that I have no option to keep because the market decides it's better off with my 2015. A lengthy warrantee will fix that. Even if it's just on the engine.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:10 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

^ +1!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

^++1!!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:58 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

So why hasn't Porsche explained exactly what the issue is? Wouldn't it be most prudent for them to get this information disclosed?

Non disclosure agreement with supplier?
An assembly issue they are too embarrassed to disclose.
Maybe they don't really know and are taking an educated guess on the issue?
Maybe they are still working on the issue and just stalling us with all their smoke screen methods of communication to buy time?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:11 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
So why hasn't Porsche explained exactly what the issue is? Wouldn't it be most prudent for them to get this information disclosed? Non disclosure agreement with supplier? An assembly issue they are too embarrassed to disclose. Maybe they don't really know and are taking an educated guess on the issue? Maybe they are still working on the issue and just stalling us with all their smoke screen methods of communication to buy time?
They've said that it was a failure of the connection of the con rod bolts. Once loose, crankcase gets damaged / cracked, oil leaks, fire. More detail than that, I'm not counting on.

Has your car been built yet? Have you been able to field these questions with your assigned rep and has he / she given any additional information beyond what has been posted on the various threads here?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Arth
Racer

ok so I met with the person in charge today.

ill start by saying the meeting went well and they were very understanding of the situation and kept insisting that it was the dealers main priority to make sure that all 2014 GT3 owners are to be made happy with the compensation no matter what.

below are the questions i asked and the answers with what information was available at date:

I started by asking about changing to a 2015 car:

1. Are there allocation available for the 2015 model year GT3
answer: yes we will have allocations for 2015 cars( this might not apply everywhere as the UAE has the biggest selling dealer in the world)

2. when can an order be placed for a 2015 model year
answer: in the next 2 to 3 weeks they will be open for ordering

3. will there be a price increase for 2015 model years:
answer: yes there will be but we don't know how much.

4. if i decide to trade for a 2015 would i have to pay the extra increase in price?
answer: we will as a special case try to keep the price the same for you if you decide to go for a 2015, but its not guaranteed.

5. will i be reimbursed for for my Xpel on the 2014 car.
answer:we will look into it and hopefully we can take care of that.

6. will i be able to keep the loaner while i wait for the 2015 car?
answer:its something we will look into but its possible.

7. when do you expect delivery of the 2015 cars?
answer: around october/november but maybe as early as september.

she then mentioned without me asking that they will also a sort of compensation for the delayed time(extra warranty, service, expel ,etc)reimbursement even if i decide to go for the 2015 car but obviously no "cash back" inconvenience package as it is effectively a new car being ordered.

we then went on to speak about my current 2014 car and below is how it went:

1. whats the timeline on getting the car back with the new engine? are we looking at around june?
answer: I don't see it going that far but so far we have no news on the timeline. in maximum two weeks we will have all the details. but i believe you will have your car back by maximum sometime in May. the longer it takes to get your car back the more the compensation will be.

2.what kind of compensation are we looking at? i went on to mention that some people are getting cash back per day without the car as well as warranty and a loaner:
answer: we haven't submitted a package template yet to PAG. We are waiting to see what they come up with first but we have unofficially spoken with them and insisted that this market and the GT3 buyers in particular are our top tier buyers and we have to keep them happy. we would like two sort of packages for compensation:

A.Compensation packages which might include: extra years of warranty, free services, etc..

B. Inconvenience package which might include: cash back that would consider/cover things like " 2014 year devaluation due to 2015 years being around the corner, insurance refund, price devaluation in the market when reselling due to motor being replaced, costs to missing track event that were paid for, general loss of time and extra waiting etc".

we talked for a bit later and i asked about the RS. NO NEWS is what the response i got. It will be delayed for a while.

it was mentioned many times that they( including the CEO of the dealership) travelled specifically to spain this past week for the Maccan launch there to make sure they had the chance to speak with the Mueller and all the rest of the top dogs at PAG to inform them that they need really take care of us GT3 customers with these packages.

i left feeling confident and quite happy about the meeting. it was very positive.

I do not know how accurate this information is or if it applies to all regions but i feel at least here things are being done the right way.

only time will tell. 2 more weeks!

hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Arth
Racer

i forgot to add.

we also discussed returning the car and they are willing to give full cash back anytime if i decide i do not like the compensation packages

cheers
Old 03-25-2014, 11:39 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Arth
i forgot to add. we also discussed returning the car and they are willing to give full cash back anytime if i decide i do not like the compensation packages cheers
Great post.

Jeff
Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ok so I met with the person in charge today. ill start by saying the meeting went well and they were very understanding of the situation and kept insisting that it was the dealers main priority to make sure that all 2014 GT3 owners are to be made happy with the compensation no matter what. below are the questions i asked and the answers with what information was available at date: I started by asking about changing to a 2015 car: 1. Are there allocation available for the 2015 model year GT3 answer: yes we will have allocations for 2015 cars( this might not apply everywhere as the UAE has the biggest selling dealer in the world) 2. when can an order be placed for a 2015 model year answer: in the next 2 to 3 weeks they will be open for ordering 3. will there be a price increase for 2015 model years: answer: yes there will be but we don't know how much. 4. if i decide to trade for a 2015 would i have to pay the extra increase in price? answer: we will as a special case try to keep the price the same for you if you decide to go for a 2015, but its not guaranteed. 5. will i be reimbursed for for my Xpel on the 2014 car. answer:we will look into it and hopefully we can take care of that. 6. will i be able to keep the loaner while i wait for the 2015 car? answer:its something we will look into but its possible. 7. when do you expect delivery of the 2015 cars? answer: around october/november but maybe as early as september. she then mentioned without me asking that they will also a sort of compensation for the delayed time(extra warranty, service, expel ,etc)reimbursement even if i decide to go for the 2015 car but obviously no "cash back" inconvenience package as it is effectively a new car being ordered. we then went on to speak about my current 2014 car and below is how it went: 1. whats the timeline on getting the car back with the new engine? are we looking at around june? answer: I don't see it going that far but so far we have no news on the timeline. in maximum two weeks we will have all the details. but i believe you will have your car back by maximum sometime in May. the longer it takes to get your car back the more the compensation will be. 2.what kind of compensation are we looking at? i went on to mention that some people are getting cash back per day without the car as well as warranty and a loaner: answer: we haven't submitted a package template yet to PAG. We are waiting to see what they come up with first but we have unofficially spoken with them and insisted that this market and the GT3 buyers in particular are our top tier buyers and we have to keep them happy. we would like two sort of packages for compensation: A.Compensation packages which might include: extra years of warranty, free services, etc.. B. Inconvenience package which might include: cash back that would consider/cover things like " 2014 year devaluation due to 2015 years being around the corner, insurance refund, price devaluation in the market when reselling due to motor being replaced, costs to missing track event that were paid for, general loss of time and extra waiting etc". we talked for a bit later and i asked about the RS. NO NEWS is what the response i got. It will be delayed for a while. it was mentioned many times that they( including the CEO of the dealership) travelled specifically to spain this past week for the Maccan launch there to make sure they had the chance to speak with the Mueller and all the rest of the top dogs at PAG to inform them that they need really take care of us GT3 customers with these packages. i left feeling confident and quite happy about the meeting. it was very positive. I do not know how accurate this information is or if it applies to all regions but i feel at least here things are being done the right way. only time will tell. 2 more weeks! hope this helps.
Hi Arth!

Thanks for the detailed info!

As you said, things may differ from market to market, but pretty much everything you were told matches what I was told is being discussed at PCNA. The fact that 2 very different markets have personnel discussing what seems to a very similar baskets of compensation is a good sign IMO.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:49 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

7. when do you expect delivery of the 2015 cars?
answer: around october/november but maybe as early as september.
Ooof.

My car was V200 with a June / July delivery, now I'm V170 awaiting reassignment to 2015 and a new delivery date. Realizing there is likely a slip coming I was hoping for a July/August delivery ... October/November would be a long wait! 16 months from original deposit date.

Ryan
Old 03-25-2014, 12:01 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

I just spoke with a rep and confirmed that there has been no timeline for 2015 cars set. They will let us know.

Greeeeaaattt...

Jeff
Old 03-25-2014, 12:03 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i forgot to add.

we also discussed returning the car and they are willing to give full cash back anytime if i decide i do not like the compensation packages

cheers
Thanks Arth for the update. This is encouraging. IMHO its better to have a 2015 in Sept/OCT with clean bill of health rather than a 2014 that's been sitting under the sun at the port for 2-3 months and of course all its gut taken out by a tech. Unless the comp is in the $25K range its better to take the 2015 and if not, oh well. Life moves on.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Thanks Arth for the update. This is encouraging. IMHO its better to have a 2015 in Sept/OCT with clean bill of health rather than a 2014 that's been sitting under the sun at the port for 2-3 months and of course all its gut taken out by a tech. Unless the comp is in the $25K range its better to take the 2015 and if not, oh well. Life moves on.
You think comp in the $25,000 range is possible?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

I have to say " hat off " to you guys for remaining calm and optimistic...I hope Porsche is aware and grateful to the faithful customers they have.
I have never seen in my entire life people that go thru such ordeal to spend 150K of their hard earned money...NEVER!

Quick Reply: Compensation