Sponsored by:

Compensation

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:27 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Got a call from Porsche NA. They told me that end of next week is deadline for determining timing of engine replacement and confirmed that having a loaner is likely to influence compensation package
I suspected as much from the beginning, which is one reason why I never took one.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:33 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to know. Thanks, Max.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:42 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I suspected as much from the beginning, which is one reason why I never took one.
Me neither. Really, who needs a loaner except for ****s and grins.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

FWIW, this was posted on the RT site;
Hi all, I really enjoy the posts, just to give you a quick update from Switzerland. Talking with the Porsche Switzerland and also the center, there are 2 additional production lines for the engine. So give or take 8-9 engines per day for WW. One thing is sure that all cars will be done by end of May, ok that is late but still lots of track in the rest of the year. In terms of date we will know more next week, so I could still be ok for the Mugello early may, let's hope.

As far as indemnity, the Swiss owner will get Frs 225 per day. Note we already have as a standard 4 years warranty and don^t expect we will get an extra year. The most important aspect is that the engine get the matching vehicule number and to be hones, Frs 225 per day is decent for those who don't have a credit / leasing. Porsche will provide at the center the credit note so I will leave that amount there to cover the 2014 tracks, that is going to be ard $20K enough for couple to tires sets, pads, etc.

I cannot believe they can only produce only 8-9 engines a day.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:48 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 357 Likes on 215 Posts

Special engine
Old 03-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
Hi all, I really enjoy the posts, just to give you a quick update from Switzerland. Talking with the Porsche Switzerland and also the center, there are 2 additional production lines for the engine. So give or take 8-9 engines per day for WW. One thing is sure that all cars will be done by end of May, ok that is late but still lots of track in the rest of the year. In terms of date we will know more next week, so I could still be ok for the Mugello early may, let's hope.

As far as indemnity, the Swiss owner will get Frs 225 per day. Note we already have as a standard 4 years warranty and don^t expect we will get an extra year. The most important aspect is that the engine get the matching vehicule number and to be hones, Frs 225 per day is decent for those who don't have a credit / leasing. Porsche will provide at the center the credit note so I will leave that amount there to cover the 2014 tracks, that is going to be ard $20K enough for couple to tires sets, pads, etc.

225 SF per day equates to about $250 USD and is in line with other numbers we've been hearing. The consistency is a positive sign, IMO. Hard to tell from the wording whether the poster is saying that engine numbers WILL match or that it's most important that they SHOULD match.

The primary engine assembly building has very specialized jigs and work stations with a combination of human assembly and some machines to do repetitive tasks like tightening bolts. It's hard to imagine that Porsche could set up 2 new similar lines on such short notice unless they've gone back to total hand assembly on a temporary basis. In any case, 8-9 extra engines a day does sound like a low number.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:07 PM
MyenShi
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In any case, 8-9 extra engines a day does sound like a low number.
It seems low, but if the number is correct, then 785 / 9 engines a day = 87 days needed to build motors for all affected cars, which will land us somewhere around the middle of June (assuming they start today or they've already started). That falls in line with the June estimate others and myself have heard.

If motors are shipped out regularly as they come off the line, owners who've taken delivery that are slated to get them first should have their cars back fairly soon, even with 8-9 engines a day.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:19 PM
0Q991
Drifting

8-9 total a day seems very low. Number should likely be higher than that and it would not be surprising if PAG sandbagged their progress and that a good number of engines have already been made.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MyenShi
It seems low, but if the number is correct, then 785 / 9 engines a day = 87 days needed to build motors for all affected cars, which will land us somewhere around the middle of June (assuming they start today or they've already started). That falls in line with the June estimate others and myself have heard.

If motors are shipped out regularly as they come off the line, owners who've taken delivery that are slated to get them first should have their cars back fairly soon, even with 8-9 engines a day.
I don't believe that 8-9 number is correct unless it refers to the number of "extra" engines being produced on the 2 lines that were supposedly added, which I'm skeptical about anyway.

Per the National Geographic special on the Porsche 911 that was filmed shortly after the new plant facility opened around 2009 (I visited it in June 2009), Porsche could produce over 500 engines a day. Someone recently posted that the number had been expanded to 650 a day which makes sense given the increased overall production goals. If Porsche turned over the assembly facility to producing GT3 engines for just a day and a half, they could complete the job. Just sayin".....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-26-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:07 PM
MyenShi
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Porsche turned over the assembly facility to producing GT3 engines for just a day and a half, they could complete the job. Just sayin".....
While I want everyone to have their GT3's as quickly as possible, it seems logistically unlikely that they'd pause production on all other vehicles for us - a relatively small, though no less important part of PAG's customer base. Also, the whole facility may not be qualified or equipped to build these motors. And I'm sure they want to be extra careful with the engines lest something like this happen again, which would be the end of it for many.

Best to stay positive though, so hope they'll be built as well and as quickly as possible.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:19 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick

AP can only work so hard
Old 03-26-2014, 04:32 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/free-eng...160000440.html

So Honda extends warranty form 3 years to 8 years... hm Porsche ? Let us wait and see
Old 03-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming 4 months compensation at $250 per day is $30,000. For that much money I would rather have the 2014. I can't imagine 3 years down the road that 2 cars with perfect engines, same condition, miles etc. would have that big of a market value difference. If the new engines are perfect, we will all be fine. If they have more engine problems then we all will be screwed regardless of the year model.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:02 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zucc
Assuming 4 months compensation at $250 per day is $30,000. For that much money I would rather have the 2014. I can't imagine 3 years down the road that 2 cars with perfect engines, same condition, miles etc. would have that big of a market value difference. If the new engines are perfect, we will all be fine. If they have more engine problems then we all will be screwed regardless of the year model.
+1
Old 03-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MyenShi
While I want everyone to have their GT3's as quickly as possible, it seems logistically unlikely that they'd pause production on all other vehicles for us - a relatively small, though no less important part of PAG's customer base. Also, the whole facility may not be qualified or equipped to build these motors. And I'm sure they want to be extra careful with the engines lest something like this happen again, which would be the end of it for many.

Best to stay positive though, so hope they'll be built as well and as quickly as possible.
I agree, turning over the line completely to GT3 production would be unrealistic. My example was more intended to show that, given the total capacity of the engine facility (and I believe all Porsche engines included GT cars and Turbos are produced there) a relatively minor shift in priorities could result in far more than 8-9 extra GT3 engines a day being produced.

As you say, it's best to stay positive and hope the new engines find their way into our cars sooner rather than later.

Quick Reply: Compensation