Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Mike,I remain optimistic but also realistic. Rereading the Porsche announcement I chose to take an upbeat attitude. I have no doubt Porsche will identify and provide a fix for the problem. My concern remains the extent of the fix. What they do will have an affect on my decision to take the car. You and those who have already taken delivery sadly do not have that option.

FWIW, two days ago I had not read the threads on the BMW S54 Rod Bearing fiasco. I sure hope we do not have to go through that scenario.
Nick, I understand. It's hard enough waiting for the car and then have this uncertainty hanging over everything. I honestly believe Porsche will make things right and it will all work out. Too much at stake for them if they don't. Hang in there....
Old 02-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is like when have a simple red dot on your skin and you look up the internet for possible causes of a skin rash. You will find that you have cancer and HIV positive simultaneously. This is the beauty of the internet.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
This is the beauty of the internet.
Creates Internet Hypochondriacs.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:42 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

Y.. can we at least get some rumors on the Flame Thrower..

No new car picts, no track posts.. .. getting bored already..
Old 02-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Well I hope it isn't major. I just got the unfortunate, but expected email telling me my delivery date got bumped by 5 weeks to May 30.
Crap. I was hopeful that perhaps the assembly line hadn't been halted. Grr
Old 02-25-2014, 06:52 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Heard rumor if it's not fixed in 6 weeks you have the option to trade in for any current Production Model except Spider..
Old 02-25-2014, 06:57 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke with my Dealer on my GT3 today that is in production. They are one month ahead of planned production. My car is at CP 7.8 "Vehicle exit production". This was on 2/14/2014. This means the chase and the motor have not come together yet. It has not moved into CP 8.0 (Vehicle completion).

He sent me the print out from the Porsche Sales & Vehicle Management report which lists all the steps my car has been through and to be completed to date.

It appears with at least my car, they have not moved it forward and likely won't until the knows problem.

Let's see. I will ask for another update in a week or so.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

I just want to know where you get the oven gloves with the logos on them!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I just want to know where you get the oven gloves with the logos on them!

Porsche Tequipment???
Old 02-25-2014, 08:40 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

Darn close -
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 PM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocked
I spoke with my Dealer on my GT3 today that is in production. They are one month ahead of planned production. My car is at CP 7.8 "Vehicle exit production". This was on 2/14/2014. This means the chase and the motor have not come together yet. It has not moved into CP 8.0 (Vehicle completion).

He sent me the print out from the Porsche Sales & Vehicle Management report which lists all the steps my car has been through and to be completed to date.

It appears with at least my car, they have not moved it forward and likely won't until the knows problem.

Let's see. I will ask for another update in a week or so.
We must have been processed nearly back to back...Mine started that monday, and also is stalled at stage 7.8 as of 14 February. Is it true that this means it hasn't mated engine to chassis?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is the last post I will make on this subject.

This is my opinion only, so please dont PM me looking for more information.

Ive done alot of thinking on this and believe it all relates back to the initial "oil cooler bracket and bolt" campaign announced shortly before the "recall" (which incidentally I believe was precautionary until PAG had explored the issue in depth and also to reduce/remove the issue of personal injury or death on newly delivered vehicles).

I hope that PAG will make things clearer this week. Then we will know who is right and wrong or maybe we are all wrong who knows....

My take on this:

Its a bit of a "storm in a teacup" created by a defect assembly process or part which results in one of the oil tubes running from the separate sump to the engine, (note for the first time in a GT3 sitting beside the engine only a few centimetres from the very hot exhaust header), working loose and failing from heat then spewing oil onto the header and catching fire. The red herring I believe is the "holed crankcases". My pure supposition is that the engine gets rapidly staved of all its oil, main bearings overheat and separate throwing a rod through the case. This happens very quickly as the engine is running at revolutions. First the oil exits the system catching alight, secondly the engine throws a rod evacuating more oil contents and accelerating the combustion process.

Im pointing to a failed bracket/bolt or assemble process of such, during specific production date ranges (recent builds since week 01/02 2014) and believe the factory may also choose to update said oil tubes (with a more retardant design) as a precautionary measure.

This is a "hard failure" situation and having owned and driven a week 47 (2013) build car for a 30 day shake down without a single issue I cannot accept its a design fault or endemic failure.

Nothing really new in my theory as PAG have already identified the bracket/bolt issue. Maybe the extra time is needed to replicate the problem and inspect the assembly apparatus to understand if everything is working to tolerance on the line etc.

Take from this what you will and as I say I could be entirely wrong and have egg on my face (I can handle that!) but after much thinking around this I believe the above is the issue and this has become a larger than life situation born partly from the time its taken PAG to announce a cause and solution (sometimes no news is good news in the spin doctors world).

As I say I wont post here again until the official announcement is known and then will probably sheepishly come back and admit I was wrong LOL! But you wanted rumours so that's mine. Its an theory really but when you think about it it could all make sense (and hopefully the remedy for those (affected is fairly straight forward)....
Attached Images   

Last edited by Macca; 02-25-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Given the thousands (millions?) of miles of testing, and the experience of the vast majority of owners with significant mileage on their cars so far, I believe something along the lines of what Macca describes is far more likely than an internal engine failure due to a faulty design. His "red herring" suggestion is totally in line with the discussion of "cause and effect".

A solid deduction, mate, IMO. Pass the humble pie if I'm wrong....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-25-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:56 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Finally, something to chew on.. I love trouble shooting!!! The nice thing about the internet is there ain't a whole lot of consequence if your wrong.. LOL.. Thx for hanging it out there. I like specifically like the [red herring I believe is the "holed crankcases".] part. --Wonder how many tests they are running a day.. Wonder what the test lab look like, or how many people they have working on it..

-The interesting part is how they might prove out their hypothesis, as they have to re-create it. -- Keep an eye on the test tracks for fires.. -- Wonder if there is a company similar to UL for autos they are using for consulting.

A). Grab fire suit, loosen oil cooler bracket bolt and drive. -- see if crank blows, or just the leak on the exhaust causes the fire..
B). -Re-create an oil leak, Drive around track etc.. -- Hmm they should be able to inspect the incident site to determine if oil had leaked on the road to the fire..
C). ?

-- Be cool if they gave us a wholesale deal on that new Maccan JR.. I need something cool as a DD otherwise I'll have 20k on this before I know it..
Old 02-25-2014, 11:14 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Macca -- Thanks for your thoughts. Makes perfect plausible sense and appreciate the personal insight.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?