Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Nick, I definitely don't know the answers but I have been calling them very impatiently trying to get some answers. The more I call the more I'm beginning understand why these are taking so long.
Last week, we received word that 175 euro was offered. As the net got a hold of this, more and more questions came up and uncovered a lot of other scenarios which added to the pot. "Lost of use" issue, then Year span depreciation, then came the 2014-15 cut off which added to the mess and finally the resale value factor of a swapped engine and compound that with a short year production which pigeon hole the 2014. As you can see, once a decision was made a new problem came up. Im not defending Porsche but they do have a nightmare on their hands as new issues pop up thanks to the doubters arguments which intern benefited the 2014 folks.
I hope the compensation package gets finalized soon so we can concentrate on the swap timelines.
I did here that "out of use" cars do include those at port because out of use is identical whether cars at home and cars at port. They are at the same rate. 2014 cars that are not at port may be on a deferent scale. Dont shot the messenger.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:43 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am guessing the compensation package will have a base line, but ultimately a case by case situation and will not be confirmed or presented to an individual until the replacement is complete, so the compensation and acceptance of the car back is final. Personal guess as I can not see how they can agree to a set concession package until they know what the total "damage" is.

Also, not that this means anything one way or another, but manufactures can start using the following MY designation beginning on Jan 2nd of the previous year. Meaning on Jan 2, 2013 they could start using MY2014 if they chose. Obviously, there are many other considerations that come into play, such as updated safety standards, emissions standards, mix of cars and resulting average mileage, etc. Not a decision they could make on a whim, but definitely possible to make an early change. In a year like 2014 to 2015 for the GT3, I can't imagine the tooling change would be that significant.

All said, when I talked to my rep today, she would/could not confirm the MY2015 matter. My dealer says my car dates and information have not changed since Monday, which I posted here.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Anyway, given the choice b/t a 2014 with an extra 2-3 years extended warranty and a 2015, I'd actually take the 2014. I know that sounds crazy to all the haters, but straight up that's how I feel about it.

Given it's more daily usable over its predecessors, I plan on putting some miles on the new rig. Assuming my car is delivered June 2014, I'll have coverage to June 2020/2021, when the 2015's will be out of warranty. If I were a buyer, I'd pick the factory warranty 2014 to an otherwise identical 2015 that has no warranty or is just about to expire. Just sayin.

OK, now back to our regularly scheduled program "**** Talk".
It's not exactly a simple binary choice. Why not just add a two-year extended powertrain warranty yourself to the 2015? The added market value of a 2015 less the cost of the extended warranty, still puts the 2015 thousands ahead of a 2014, stigmatized by future buyers or not.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

I have no doubt that Porsche is genuinely trying to the best they can under very trying circumstances. The compensation package cannot be too difficult. Porsche knows better than anyone how this is impacting what I consider their coveted customer. I suspect 95% of us have owned several Porsche's in the past and still do like myself.

Porsche made a good start by offering loaner cars or daily cash allowance.

I also think that PCNA calling us and trying to hold our hand is a laudable effort and they should be complimented. They are dealing with high strung successful people and we can be very difficult to deal with. But they need to know we are also reasonable so long as there is constant communication. Regular updates are far better than maybe you will hear from us in three weeks.

For an example, are they still testing or have they decided the fix will be implemented. If so, tell us how many engines they can produce daily, how they are going to distribute them and if they have a timetable when the replacement of engines are to be completed. They have one hell of a timetable for building the entire car, shipping and delivery. Would it be too much to ask for their timetable regarding the engines?

I realize this is unprecedented for a proud company like Porsche. They are learning on the fly as to how to handle this with their customers. Where I cut them slack is what they do for us will set precedent for future recall efforts. They need to navigate this not with not only us in mind but for the future.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JimSand
Eduardo, your input is always appreciated.
Thanks, Jim!

Originally Posted by JimSand
I just got off the phone with a GT3 Customer Concierge representative and he stated that there are 232 unbuilt GT3s which should now show under D170 status which means that if your allocation never had a Vehicle Completion date then your GT3 would be MY2015. How could he be misinformed coming directly from PCNA?
Yes, if they have not yet started going down the production line and been assigned a VIN #, they can delay...until they are set & ready to start MY2015 production. But that means waiting until MY2015 production starts as scheduled - when ever that date is! It changes from year to year, model to model.

Originally Posted by frayed
Re 2014 v 2015, doesn't the factory switch to the next model year after their July/August shutdown? If so, this makes sense, as they predict it will take through till summer to handle the engine swaps and build up engine inventory for the 2015's (well, ahem, I mean rebuild the 2014 motors for the 2015 cars).
That switch-a-do after Zuffenhausen's August vacation hasn't signal new MY for years now! Even my MY1973 911T (vin #9113100035) which was the 35th car built on the first day of MY1973 production and was completed in early July of 1972...way before the summer vacation!

Originally Posted by GTEE3
agree. I ordered a MY '10 RS which was delivered in May '10 as a MY '11RS. PCNA tried to up-charge me the new '11 MSRP, even though I did not get the '11 minor electronic upgrades...eventually PCNA reimbursed me.
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
...it could be possible given that some manufacturers sell cars (like the Toyota Highlander we bought in April one year) as "next year's" model. Of course if there are regulation changes that the current model won't meet, that's one thing, but if not, I don't believe there is a hard and fast rule that states the new run of any particular model has to begin at a particular time or be the same as every other model in the line. I could be wrong, though, and all the rest could be internet BS
Correct, the start of MY production starts/finishes on different models according to specific plans after taking into consideration upcoming government regulations, corporate marketing plans, etc. As GTEE3 stated, the .2 gt3 deliveries are a case in point. MY2010 .2 997 gt3 RS started deliveries in the US in February of 2010 - rather late for a MY! Just a few months later, MY2011 .2 997 gt3 RS were rushed to completion & US deliveries started in May of 2010!!! For whatever reasons, Porsche was able to start MY2011 production in early Spring of 2010 which allowed them to start deliveries shortly after that! I am sure that many early MY2011 gt3 RS were delivered to European customers before the last of the MY2010's even arrived in the US! But it doesn't matter much since in Europe MY doesn't have the same 'significance' as on this US market. As an aside, in general the European mind set disregards MY implications as we understand them in this market. Europeans 'values' are tied to vehicle registration & in-service dates which are focused on calendar year delivery dates - not MY designations! This needs to be taken into account by PCNA in their 'fight' with PAG over what is the fair 'compensation' for US gt3 customers since normally PAG's European executives are not focused on the peculiar implications (i.e. depreciation hit) in the US market related to Model Year per se. In other words, to a German customer a gt3 built in April (categorized MY2014 for US) vs a gt3 built in June (categorized MY2015 for US) has little significance, especially if there is no difference in content, model, etc.

MY2012 Boxster Spyders had a very limited run and started being produced perhaps as early as March of 2011. The LAST batch of MY2012 Spyders, including my own, were all built in July of 2011! As an interesting aside, no MY2012 Boxster Spyder was ever built within six calendar months of the start of 2012! That is super unusual!

Porsche started producing US market MY2012.5 991's in the late fall/early winter of 2011, yet (for whatever reason) couldn't categorized them as MY2013. So those early adopters (buyers) have taken a terrible depreciation hit because Porsche couldn't manipulate the rules so that this new model could arrive in the States as a MY2013! So the US market had two models of the 911 sold as a MY2012 - the .2 997 and the 991!

Originally Posted by reidry
Same as mine status V170, PAG Handling Necessary. My dealer is not the only one that received an email late yesterday that this group of cars was moving to MY2015. As far as the factory releasing MY2015 early, I don't think we will see any 2015s delivered before July. Ryan
Yes, back to Jim Sand's point. If these gt3's have not started production & assigned a VIN #, these slots or allocations can certainly be delayed & pushed back into the MY2015 gt3 production schedule. But the operative word here is 'delayed'. My point is that if Porsche was NOT ready (for whatever reason - regulations, supply bottle-necks, etc) to make March, April or May 991 gt3 production as MY2015 but had them scheduled to be built as MY2014, they simply can't go ahead & built these cars during those months, assigned them the same VIN #'s and just arbitrarily call them MY2015 gt3's!

MY2015's 991 gt3's will start to be produced as soon as they get all their 'ducks lined up' in order to insure they meet MY2015 regulation standards and are properly built as such! I do agree with those of you that say that the earlier PAG is able to make this transition (and push old '14 allocations into '15 production), the less expensive (for PAG) their compensation program becomes for those affected!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by csmarx
I looked at the website. Why is he shouting at me? I don't even know the guy. -Christian
Yeah...bit confused

No disrespect to Willhoit because he appears to be a respected seller of fine Porsches on Rennlist

But his ad doesn't make mention of the current issues regarding engine replacement by Porsche

Paying over list for a used example and having to deal with this issue doesn't make it "rare"...since once Porsche addresses the issue...production will startup again...IMHO...

Last edited by IamSMC; 03-21-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IamSMC

Paying over list for a used example and having to deal with this is issue doesn't make it "rare"...IMHO...
Sure it does! How many track capable street cars do you know of that require an engine change to complete their break-in???
Old 03-21-2014, 08:51 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911rox
Sure it does! How many track capable street cars do you know of that require an engine change to complete their break-in???
Acknowledged... ;-)
Old 03-21-2014, 08:53 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 129 Posts

Speaking of warranties I was researching "who had the best corrosion warranties?"

Porsche is 12 YEARS - UNLIMITED MILEAGE.

BION Mercedes is 4 YEARS - 50,000 MILES. This is about the worst in the industry.

BMW, Audi, Volvo, VW and MINI have 12 Unlimited as well.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:02 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^ Thanks Eduardo
Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 186 Likes on 95 Posts

Give it a rest, Chris.....
Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason compensation has not yet been offered is because they don't want existing owners to Lemon Law or force their Dealer to buy back. Future "compensation" is a carrot to string us along.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:50 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Give it a rest, Chris.....
Mike, we're having a laugh at the 'unique' marketing tactics being employed, not at you expense...

My car is just as "rare" coz it was the first track capable street car unable to keep its wheels attached for entire break-in period without recall intervention... This is the kind of gift with purchase Porsche have chosen to offer in recent years...

Not looking to rub it in... Just joking to lighten the mood...
Old 03-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 186 Likes on 95 Posts

Mike, we're having a laugh at the 'unique' marketing tactics being employed, not at you expense...

My car is just as "rare" coz it was the first track capable street car unable to keep its wheels attached for entire break-in period without recall intervention... This is the kind of gift with purchase Porsche have chosen to offer in recent years...

Not looking to rub it in... Just joking to lighten the mood...
I get it mate....was just remarking on your persistence. Probably just me, my tolerance is wearing thinner.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sithot
Speaking of warranties I was researching "who had the best corrosion warranties?"

Porsche is 12 YEARS - UNLIMITED MILEAGE.

BION Mercedes is 4 YEARS - 50,000 MILES. This is about the worst in the industry.

BMW, Audi, Volvo, VW and MINI have 12 Unlimited as well.
Better check time line on the GT3 , as I recall its not 12 yr deal

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?