Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Latest from my dealer: I asked if my car which stopped production on 2/14 that there were any changes to new production dates, change to a 2015 etc, he said nothing has changed and said he had no information that any GT3's pre production or post production were chaining to 2015. Again no consistent information being given to dealers etc.

May call Katrina and say if I don't take a loaner (which she said I will get on May 2nd date my car was to arrive) will PNA give me a credit towards the purchase of another car and still keep my order for my GT3. I know good luck.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:20 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Please don't compare to 4.0.

One of the reasons the 997's (never mind the 4.0) are priced so high is the lackluster interest in the new 991GT3 from the original targeted buyers.
You are right. The 4.0 is a special case. It's a great car, and production volume was extremely limited. But the general point of what happens when supply doesn't match demand still applies. I think that will be the reality for the 991 GT3 for the next few years.

You are probably also right about what is driving the prices on 997s. There are plenty of fanatics that prefer the tried and true classics. In spite of that, the overall demand for the 991 GT3 is still high.

You know, you seem to be a pretty good guy. For you, I'll offer my 2014 991 GT3 to you for only 1.5 times MSRP!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:50 PM
bakamon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
I mentioned earlier that my 2014 GT3 will have a new engine and will be identical to every 2015 model, aside from some new configuration options. I forgot to say anything about resale value.

Maybe that's because in over 50 years of ownership, I can't recall ever selling a new car that I bought in less than 10 years. I don't care about new car smell or color corrected paint. I just care about handling and performance and "the driving experience".

But on the subject of resale value, let's talk about the basic law of economics. It's called supply and demand. If there's little supply and big demand, it's a seller's market. Think 997 GT3 RS 4.0.

So what about the supply side of the 991 GT3? Ain't going to be much supply. First of all not that many will be produced. But more importantly, not many owners are going to want to sell. The car is too good to sell. And demand? I predict for every one of the few used 991 GT3s on the market in the next few tears there will be more that 10 interested buyers.

I haven't paid much attention to the used GT3 market, but I have never seen any used GT3s last on my dealer's lot for more than a week. My sales guy laughed yesterday when we talked about reselling the 991 GT3. He said that if he had one it would be gone in less that 24 hours. I believe him.

What about choosing a used 2014 vs a used 2015? Sorry, you probably won't have that choice. I mean, seriously, do you expect to visit a dealer and expect to see several GT3s of both vintages there waiting for you to mull over? No. You will buy the one on the lot, at the asking price, or the car will be gone before you can come back.

I just want to get my car back. I you want to buy it in about a year, give me a call. If you offer me double MSRP, I will consider the offer.
Yes, your sales and you are right IF it's still a MT.

Supply and demand? The demand of a MT GT3 is almost same from 996.1 to 997.2. PAG knew how to control the supply to GT3 very well, even they build more and deliver faster, the demand won't increase, it also means GT3 can't let them make money before.

How about a PDK 991 GT3? I saw my sales brought the catalog to everyone walk in their store, Porsche are trying to sell 991 GT3 as a good look sporty 2 seats model and cheaper than Turbo.

I saw the first lot - 6 GT3(included mine)parked at my dealer, 3 of them are no bracket and roll bar.

A MT GT3 is a track car, a PDK GT3 can be for everyone.

Once the demand increase, Porsche knows how to increase their supply. They made 785 in 3 months in 2013, so they can make 5000 in 2014 easily.

You will see several used 991 GT3s without bracket at your dealer soon.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:22 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bakamon
Yes, your sales and you are right IF it's still a MT.

Supply and demand? The demand of a MT GT3 is almost same from 996.1 to 997.2. PAG knew how to control the supply to GT3 very well, even they build more and deliver faster, the demand won't increase, it also means GT3 can't let them make money before.

How about a PDK 991 GT3? I saw my sales brought the catalog to everyone walk in their store, Porsche are trying to sell 991 GT3 as a good look sporty 2 seats model and cheaper than Turbo.

I saw the first lot - 6 GT3(included mine)parked at my dealer, 3 of them are no bracket and roll bar.

A MT GT3 is a track car, a PDK GT3 can be for everyone.

Once the demand increase, Porsche knows how to increase their supply. They made 785 in 3 months in 2013, so they can make 5000 in 2014 easily.

You will see several used 991 GT3s without bracket at your dealer soon.
Got any stock tips?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Ivan, you are absolutely right, and I agree completely with all of what you say. I won't be selling my car and it will make me happy for a very long time. In my situation, whatever year designation is hung on it is of zero consequence.

That said, I've been a loyal Porsche customer for 30 years. Along with many other long time and new customers, we've all bought these cars with the implicit understanding that the Porsche brand stands for something. For this reason, regardless of whether one plans to sell the car in 6 months or 20 years from now, Porsche has an obligation to do the right thing. It's a matter of principle.

By taking the high road and providing new engines for all cars, they've taken an important first step. They just need to follow through.
Good to hear Mike and Ivan... Thx.. I hope your right. Some of these other posts are just 2 depressing. I think the car will be fine. It's just how you perceive it, and an aggressive ext warranty will help the weak and in-initiated with the proper perceptions.

..And someone made a good point. .When do you expect to see a 2014, next to a 2015 sitting together on a used lot where you get to make the choice. Probably not often. Interested to see the number of cars built for this 991 gt3 in 2015, and 2016. -- Maybe checking w/ Dealer will give you a heads up. Are folks finding it easy to get a 2015 allocation?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

TRAKCAR Please don't compare to 4.0.

One of the reasons the 997's (never mind the 4.0) are priced so high is the lackluster interest in the new 991GT3 from the original targeted buyers.
I think what youre not getting is porsche doesnt give a **** if the original target buyer likes the "new and improved" gt3. There is an *** for every sportseat.

Actually, 5 out the 6 buyers of my dealers gt3s bought the 991 gt3 because
a. they could
b. it looked neat-o
c. chris harris told them to

And there are 10 more drooling for the chance to buy mine when I trade it back in.

Do you actually think they have any knowledge of the problems that the gt3 is having right now?

please...
Old 03-21-2014, 02:05 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocked
Latest from my dealer: I asked if my car which stopped production on 2/14 that there were any changes to new production dates, change to a 2015 etc, he said nothing has changed and said he had no information that any GT3's pre production or post production were chaining to 2015. Again no consistent information being given to dealers etc.

May call Katrina and say if I don't take a loaner (which she said I will get on May 2nd date my car was to arrive) will PNA give me a credit towards the purchase of another car and still keep my order for my GT3. I know good luck.
After showing scheduled for 'enter production" today, my order went back to V170 status. I called the dealer who called the scheduler in Atlanta and found out he's on vacation until 3/31. Figures. The dealer emailed the regional VP who said that Porsche has not announced any changes for existing 2014 pre-production cars to MY2015. That this has NOT been determined yet and to wait for further update. So here we go again. My luck is I'll get one of the last MY2014 cars delivered in June.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your being very optimistic you will get your car in June.

I hope mine shows up before the start of winter in Chicago.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,458 Likes on 2,261 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Please don't compare to 4.0.

I'm not seeing any lackluster interest in the 991 anywhere in my vicinity! - quite the opposite I think if Porsche dropped an additional 20-30 allocations with local bay area dealers they would about fill the current demand.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBrake911
Good to hear Mike and Ivan... Thx.. I hope your right. Some of these other posts are just 2 depressing. I think the car will be fine. It's just how you perceive it, and an aggressive ext warranty will help the weak and in-initiated with the proper perceptions.

..And someone made a good point. .When do you expect to see a 2014, next to a 2015 sitting together on a used lot where you get to make the choice. Probably not often. Interested to see the number of cars built for this 991 gt3 in 2015, and 2016. -- Maybe checking w/ Dealer will give you a heads up. Are folks finding it easy to get a 2015 allocation?
That is a good point.

I get all the angst about the 2014 model in the moment. And for some of the guys who flip cars like pancakes it may even be an issue in the short term. But say you're someone who will keep this car for 10 years. Imagine, a decade in the future when your nicely maintained, perhaps last of the NA GT cars is sitting before a prospective buyer right after an exhilarating test drive. He/she asks if it's ever had a problem and you say, "Well, don't know if you ever heard about this but when the car was 2 months old the engine was replaced with a brand new unit from the factory due to a connecting rod fastener issue. Turns out they were over-torqueing the bolts during assembly (or whatever). Never had any trouble since...." Do you really think the interested buyer will walk away or demand a big discount? Would you walk away from a mint earlier model Porsche because at some point it had received a documented, brand new, (not rebuilt) complete factory engine? I wouldn't.....
Old 03-21-2014, 03:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'm not seeing any lackluster interest in the 991 anywhere in my vicinity! - quite the opposite I think if Porsche dropped an additional 20-30 allocations with local bay area dealers they would about fill the current demand.
I said lackluster demand from us drives prices up on 997GT3, maybe overall demand was very high for 991GT3, just like any other cars and coffee automatic.
As soon as they are everywhere they might depreciate the same perhaps? Or not and the slack in demand from track junkies will be more than made up for by the regular car buyer.

Are your knee's OK? Mine start to hurt a little.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:03 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocked

Your being very optimistic you will get your car in June.

I hope mine shows up before the start of winter in Chicago.
I would be fine getting one later, because it would have to be 2015.
I was just thinking it would suck to get the 2014 at the same price of 2015 just weeks apart. At this point, who the F knows what PAG is up to except getting the engines to the current owners ASAP. And thats what they should be doing. I feel for those guys.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:24 PM
frayed
Race Car

Anyway, given the choice b/t a 2014 with an extra 2-3 years extended warranty and a 2015, I'd actually take the 2014. I know that sounds crazy to all the haters, but straight up that's how I feel about it.

Given it's more daily usable over its predecessors, I plan on putting some miles on the new rig. Assuming my car is delivered June 2014, I'll have coverage to June 2020/2021, when the 2015's will be out of warranty. If I were a buyer, I'd pick the factory warranty 2014 to an otherwise identical 2015 that has no warranty or is just about to expire. Just sayin.

OK, now back to our regularly scheduled program "**** Talk".
Old 03-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Old 03-21-2014, 03:31 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Anyway, given the choice b/t a 2014 with an extra 2-3 years extended warranty and a 2015, I'd actually take the 2014. I know that sounds crazy to all the haters, but straight up that's how I feel about it.

Given it's more daily usable over its predecessors, I plan on putting some miles on the new rig. Assuming my car is delivered June 2014, I'll have coverage to June 2020/2021, when the 2015's will be out of warranty. If I were a buyer, I'd pick the factory warranty 2014 to an otherwise identical 2015 that has no warranty or is just about to expire. Just sayin.

Yep.. Good point. Not healthy associating w/ paranoid people & Haters or even cheap axes trying to create a big stink so they can get a free DE. For all the time wasted posting this garbage you could have made enough for a 1:1 HPDE w/ W Rhol.. (or trying to de-value the 2014 so they can get one cheap.. LOL) The 2014 will be fine. It's OFFICIAL ! Add your constructive compensation advice to Macca's official Compensation thread if needed.. LOL..

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?