Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:43 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
No problem. But it's going to cost more than 85.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...n-cup-car.html
No it won't. The one linked is a Mezger engine which is much tougher to fit into a 987/981. The 991 GT3 engine is based on the 3.8 DFI so it should be a plug and play to fit into a 981 as Deman and BGB have already been doing (with 3.8 DFI). Only hurdle for fitting a 991 GT3 engine, so far, had been Porsche's reluctance to sell the GT3 engine separately, which may now change as they'll need to find homes for 750 refurbished units. If I was BGB or Deman I'd start inquiring about those units right now. I'm sure the engines would come with a powertrain warranty, just like any other Porsche OEM engine.

EDIT: Or better yet, Porsche themselves could make a limited batch of "refurbished" and stripped 2700lbs 500 Cayman GT3 and 250 Boxster GT3 and sell them for $100k a pop. (One can dream...)
Old 03-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 186 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
On one of the manufacturing delay threads quite some time back, a European RL’er posted that more than one early car suffered broken con rods in the hands of journalists conducting test drives. A bunch of people who are active in this forum immediately pounced on him, labeling him a troll, stating that he was full of BS, etc. Months later there is a stop sale, and unofficial reports from various sources, including highly respected European publications, are all indicating problems with rod bolts and/or rod failures.

If the current stop sale does indeed turn out to be related to rod bolt failure, it seems that our heavily-ridiculed RL poster from so many months ago was spot on. Could it have been a big coincidence that he fabricated a BS story that just so happened to turn out to be true? Possible I suppose, but the alternative seems more likely, IMO.
I remember that post and the comments that followed, fbirch. No factual information was ever provided as a follow-up and the poster did disappear. Maybe we scared him away.

I was told that this current issue had not surfaced at any point in the testing and I believe my source. You can take it with a grain of salt. But more to the point, if such an event actually happened in the hands of journalists testing the car as the poster claimed, why did nothing from those alleged journalists ever appear in print or leak out anywhere else except from one guy on an internet forum? That was the question at the time and it's still a valid one, IMHO.

Rumors and reports have sprung up about various disasters with the valve train, con rods, bearings, PDK-S, RWS, oil coolers, brackets, what have you. If you throw enough stuff against the wall, something might even stick. The notion that Porsche knew there was a specific problem in advance, put the engine into production anyway, and then spent over a month pretending to investigate the known failure to fool the public while getting chewed up in the press and social media is tin-hat conspiracy theory stuff.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-16-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
Wow! That's going to be awesome on track, but very pricey I'm guessing.
But what if we do a group buy? Surely they can build them cheaper by the couple dozen?

Originally Posted by sunnyr
That is what stuck me too. Months before the stop sale, the guy comes out of wood work made a very specific claim about a very specific part failing and if it turns out that indeed is the part that is failing (we don't know for sure that is indeed the case yet and it might turn out to be something else), chances are he knew something. Which means Porsche also knew something.
Yup, I remember!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:57 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 323 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

EDIT: Or better yet, Porsche themselves could make a limited batch of "refurbished" and stripped 2700lbs 500 Cayman GT3 and 250 Boxster GT3 and sell them for $100k a pop. (One can dream...)
Boxter GTS/Re
Old 03-16-2014, 08:57 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

If its rod bolts, can't you just drop the pan and replace them?
If so, it seems like a real tidy repair.......
Old 03-16-2014, 09:11 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
If its rod bolts, can't you just drop the pan and replace them?
If so, it seems like a real tidy repair.......
Drop the pan?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by A432
Drop the pan?
Why not just explain instead of being a dick.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:22 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Why not just explain instead of being a dick.
lol, lighten up francis, it was funny.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:36 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The notion that Porsche knew there was a specific problem in advance, put the engine into production anyway, and then spent over a month pretending to investigate the known failure to fool the public while getting chewed up in the press and social media is ridiculous tin-hat conspiracy theory stuff.
Mike, I don't think anyone is saying they are pretending to investigate. Bear with me a plausible scenario - Porsche knew about an issue. They delayed the production to investigate but couldn't find the root cause in a timely manner. So decided to go ahead with production probably because the probability of the failure was very low and something they figured they could handle more cost effectively through a warranty repair (wouldn't be the first time a car manufacturer did this). And the failures happen with customer cars with very low probability, but except with catastrophic consequence - the fires. So now it becomes imperative to find the root cause and a fix. And the stop sale and the don't drive directive.

Yes, speculation but definitely sounds like plausible explanation to me of what happened/is happening and more than a tin-hat conspiracy. Of course, just my 2c, I have absolutely have no inside source unlike many others here.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:05 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 03-17-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 186 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Mike, I don't think anyone is saying they are pretending to investigate. Bear with me a plausible scenario - Porsche knew about an issue. They delayed the production to investigate but couldn't find the root cause in a timely manner. So decided to go ahead with production probably because the probability of the failure was very low and something they figured they could handle more cost effectively through a warranty repair (wouldn't be the first time a car manufacturer did this). And the failures happen with customer cars with very low probability, but except with catastrophic consequence - the fires. So now it becomes imperative to find the root cause and a fix. And the stop sale and the don't drive directive.

Yes, speculation but definitely sounds like plausible explanation to me of what happened/is happening and more than a tin-hat conspiracy. Of course, just my 2c, I have absolutely have no inside source unlike many others here.
sunnyr, we can probably invent scenarios and debate this back and forth forever, and knowing the forum we probably will.

The fundamental question I would ask is, what evidence do we have that Porsche "knew about an issue"? Why even begin with that assumption? Because some guy on an internet forum started a rumor about a failure that was completely unsubstantiated, and not even reported by the very journalists who he said were testing the car when it occurred? I can make all kinds of specific predictions about what the market will do this year and one of them might even come true. Doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about.

Sometimes stuff just happens. Rather than believing that Porsche purposely took a risk and tried to slide by with a known issue in one of their halo cars, it makes more sense to me that a faulty part or manufacturing defect caused an unexpected and difficult to find problem. Maybe I'm wrong, but if we're going to compare plausible explanations my personal 2 cents is, that seems a simpler and more straightforward one.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:51 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on this. I just can't imagine why they would risk lives and their hard earned reputation to what? Sell a few hundred cars early? In the grand scheme of things the GT cars are not a major component of revenue nor earnings. BUT that customer base is among the most ardent. To risk this purposely makes far less sense (especially when the changes to the GT3 were already shall we say "controversial") than a QC issue.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:03 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 284 Posts

This video has been therapeutic through all this.... I've probably watched it 15 times when I felt the cloud of doubt hanging over me.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:05 PM
myphillylawyer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
So that understand your position under PA Lemon Law. If the car is out for a certain length of time (30 days) but the manufacturer has not had an opportunity to repair, the manufacturer MUST replace or refund the purchase price (less allowance for mileage)?
That's right Nick. The manufacturer is considered to have a lemon if they have been given three attempts to repair and have been unsuccessful OR that's right or the vehicle has been out of commission for 30 days or more. I suppose if the consumer hid the car under a rock for 30 days the manufacturer would have a good defense to the claim. However, the manufacturer doesn't get a free pass for going beyond the 30 days because that can't figure it the f*** out.
Furthermore in PA we have a pretty decent consumer protection and fraud statute. If Porsche were determined to have intentionally or even recklessly allowed their product to be sold with a known defect they could be held to pay treble damages and attorney's fees.

As I said earlier I have plenty of cars to drive and I have plenty of patience. When it's here its here. I will welcome my GT3 into the fold with open arms and I know that Porsche will stand behind her and if they don't I'll punish them without mercy.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:33 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for posting ,had seen it some time ago,
Refreshingly outstanding !!!
a salesman at WPB P store today stated announcement 9am Monday , just sharing info here , I am not
claiming facts FWIW

Last edited by R.Deacon; 03-16-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?