Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
i think you do get better reception with telephone module. std bluetooth reception sucks.
The Telephone Module option does allow for your phone to use the car's internal antenna rather than the one in the phone, assuming the phone is compatible with that feature. With some phones it's possible this may result in a better cellular signal.

I don't know how much this has to do with the quality of the Bluetooth connection, however. The Bluetooth pairing between my phone and the car is trouble free, and there's no noticeable difference in audio quality between the Bluetooth and USB connections.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
yup. something like 4 years ago now after we were all b*tching about them not being in the last RS. can't recall the full details of the conversation but think he played the idk card and said it would be set straight with the next one. might've been something savy pinned him down on during their face to face.

recall at the time the euros were pretty in the dark about the serious US tracking scene. think your little sebring come-to-jesus event with the monkey cleared up that misperception
I don't remember that, but fingers crossed.
Monkey showing up at Sebring DE was very cool. He's fast too
I think he like my dually better than the RS though...
Instead we should have had words about never selling our 4.0's.....

Half the US delivered RS at one track in the Winter and 48hoursatsebring must have been noticed by Porsche spies on this forum. Like Mike in CA.

Originally Posted by NateOZ
My dealer confirmed with PCNA that you don't need to add anything for Bluetooth now. He wasn't sure either so checked for me.

I have the track app coming, but my car won't be here until late Dec and it'll be winter....
Ship straight to Sebring Winterefest Jan 7-11. Do it.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Peter, you DO NOT need additional options for your current phone to connect to the car via Bluetooth for cell service or audio. That functionality is standard. (You do need PCM/NAV which is available when you order the Sound Package if you want the audio part).

The early 2014 cars required $0 option 619 (Mobile Phone Prep) to pair a handset with the car but that is no longer the case with the 2015's.

The $265 Telephone Module option is only required if you want to install a separate SIM card in your dash for a second cellular line. The $665 Telephone Module with Bluetooth Handset option also throws in an additional handset on top of that.

To repeat, if your current cell phone is Bluetooth equipped you don't need any of the above options to interface with the car for cell service.
Thanks Porsche.
I mean Mike in CA

Originally Posted by khooni
i think you do get better reception with telephone module. std bluetooth reception sucks.
So I'll probably order the $265.00 extra SIM card option and never get around to actually get AT&T to send me the extra GSM card ;-)
Old 10-20-2014, 06:31 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
sprint/att/Verizon ect ect will provide a duplicate SIM card for someone in this situation so that you don't have to get a 2nd line in your car? I would add the $265 option to my build if I can get the 2nd identical SIM so my number stays the same in the car.

can anyone shed light on this? thanks!
I tried to get a duplicate SIM from ATT several years ago, but they wouldn't do it. Things may have changed, however.

Vivian
Old 10-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks Porsche.
I mean Mike in CA
If I was Porsche, I'd encourage you to go ahead and spend money on options you don't really need.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:38 PM
milban
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It would seem that a duplicate sim card would allow two cells on the same line, I once heard that was quite a cell software problem.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:41 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is this a 21" rear ? I can't tell for sure..
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2014, 06:45 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I'm starting to think that front section is a good idea, anyone know if its an easy add on, easy removal or is it similar to installing the back section? It also looks like it wouldn't be dangerous as it isn't that close to your head........I could be wrong, anyone seen this on previous iterations or in ROW?
What front section? I think ClubSport only includes a rear roll-bar. Can't have a full cage in a street car.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

If I was Porsche, I'd encourage you to go ahead and spend money on options you don't really need.
If you say so... That I3 decoy doesn't throw me off..

Originally Posted by milban
It would seem that a duplicate sim card would allow two cells on the same line, I once heard that was quite a cell software problem.
I thought I was the only one who doesn't know this, glad to see even you guys haven't figured it out either.

Originally Posted by rockitman
So is this a 21" rear ? I can't tell for sure..
Seems generally accepted, but remains unproven. I'm curious as well. Need to start pricing them on Tire rack..
Old 10-20-2014, 07:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
What front section? I think ClubSport only includes a rear roll-bar. Can't have a full cage in a street car.
The front section is available in ROW land. Slip (RL member) has ordered this and shortly to have it fitted. Im not sure on the legality of using it on the road but with an exemption is it possible in my country....
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
can anyone at least confirm that the phone modules offered are 100% useless unless you can get that 2nd SIM or add a 2nd line for the car only?????

just doesn't seem well thought out by Porsche if this is the situation.

I mean how could you offer and charge for these things in an entire country, USA, at that, and not support it or even explain how to use it. I mean wont they sell more of these and make more money if they convey these things.

I'm literally not going to spend more because I cant figure this out. Porsche youre loosing some potential $ on me. help!!!
With the Telephone Module option, you can definitely add a second cellular service, with a different number exclusively for the car. There's a slot in the dash that will accommodate the SIM card for that second number. If you also want another handset for the car to go along with your new second number, you can get the Telephone Module plus Bluetooth handset option. I suppose these options might appeal to some people.

What I don't think you can do with most carriers is get a second SIM card to plug into that slot in the dash with the SAME number that you already have on your existing cell phone.

If all you want to do is use your existing Bluetooth phone and have it interface with the car, you don't NEED any of these options.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
The front section is available in ROW land. Slip (RL member) has ordered this and shortly to have it fitted. Im not sure on the legality of using it on the road but with an exemption is it possible in my country....
I drive full cage halo seat no seat belt RSA the last few days. Cops give me thumbs up.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

With the Telephone Module option, you can definitely add a second cellular service, with a different number exclusively for the car. There's a slot in the dash that will accommodate the SIM card for that second number. If you also want another handset for the car to go along with your new second number, you can get the Telephone Module plus Bluetooth handset option. I suppose these options might appeal to some people.

What I don't think you can do with most carriers is get a second SIM card to plug into that slot in the dash with the SAME number that you already have on your existing cell phone.

If all you want to do is use your existing Bluetooth phone and have it interface with the car, you don't NEED any of these options.
Thanks. Saved me $265
Who has a separate phone number in the car?!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I drive full cage halo seat no seat belt RSA the last few days. Cops give me thumbs up.
+1 for Florida.

That RS just looks MEAN in black. Love these pics, so aggressive looking. Can't wait to see the completed product.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:43 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 358 Likes on 216 Posts

The RS should have :

-Automatic tranny
-Double layer crocodile leather
-Double layer stitching
-Bluetooth
-Navigation with all the popular Apps found on the Google and IOS platforms
-Backup camera
-Mirrors and wing tilt
-Heated seats
-Ventilated seats
-Adaptive cruise control
-10K watt high definition audio system with double subwoofer
-Power steering plus
-Self parking assist
-Latte brewer
-Keyless entry-Stop/Start button
-Night vision
-Roll bar to back seats switch in less than 15 min
-Poser mode-everything off(noise off,posh ride,7th gear at 20MPH)
Old 10-20-2014, 07:45 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL...

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread