Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015 | 03:54 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
I tracked my C7 Z06 at Laguna Seca yesterday, first time on track for me with that car.

What kind of lap times were your running compared with your GT3?
Old 03-02-2015 | 08:41 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tre
I actually like what GM has done with the Vette over the last 2 generations; I disliked C5 and prior. But in this case, I'm not sure how this guy is blaming everything on the tires. Of course I have no context of which session this was, the ambient and track temperatures, or the skill levels of the Z06 and GT3 drivers. But geez, it took about 1.5 laps to warm up the tires and then about 1.5 laps of what seemed like a somewhat non-technical configuration for the tires to go past their optimal operating temps? Perhaps. But then perhaps the GT3 only gave the point-by because his tires were getting too hot. And what would that session look like without the lap traffic which gave the Z a lot of chances to close the gap in the "chase" portion.
This is why I far prefer, and fantasize about club racing vs. getting bored at the "DE cup" events. In club racing, you have to finish to win, manage the tires, the car etc. Fast lap means nothing. You want to pass, go ahead, but no one is going to give you a point by. In DE cup, a lot of people talk about their fast lap, but they don't talk about consistency.

I agree withe you. The tires were not the probelm. It was the driver. He should know when the tires are beginning to lose grip, and adjust accordingly.
Old 03-02-2015 | 05:01 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skxf430
What kind of lap times were your running compared with your GT3?
Sorry I did not bother to time my laps (as I knew I could not be full out on the uphill sound check areas of the course...)...that's the big bummer about MLSR's 90 db limit...PITA...
Old 03-02-2015 | 10:22 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

I tracked my C7 Z06 at Laguna Seca yesterday, first time on track for me with that car. The weather was cool, high 60's, no issues with any overheating or ECU chokedown (or any other issues for that matter). By the third session I was pushing the car pretty hard, up to 120 at the turn 1 kink...oil temps stayed steady at 210 degrees throughout.

Did get flagged for sound on the second run though, I had it in Track mode and floored it up the hill in 3rd gear...hahaha...after that I kept it Stealth mode and short shifted after turn 5... unfortunately I forgot my stupid SD card, I will record laps next time out.

We'll see what happens as weather gets warmer, see if the good behavior holds up.

so what is your verdict on GT3 vs Z06?
Old 03-02-2015 | 11:53 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Sorry I did not bother to time my laps (as I knew I could not be full out on the uphill sound check areas of the course...)...that's the big bummer about MLSR's 90 db limit...PITA...
yeah, that is a big bummer about the sound limit.

Check out Speedventures in June when they are running unlimited sound.
Old 03-03-2015 | 11:48 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
so what is your verdict on GT3 vs Z06?
I am still forming the full view, since I have had neither car for long and will be tracking both cars alot this year. My GT3 is not yet through the recommended break in miles but will be soon. As I mentioned above, this was my first track day with the Z06, with street alignment and sound limit issues at the track, so I was no where close to getting the most out of it.

Based on my limited and mostly road driving so far, I would say the comparative reviews that are out there are pretty accurate. Inside and out, the GT3 feels $50K more of a super high quality, high precision piece, the engine revs/sounds, the PDK-S, the nimble handling, are all super precise and super smooth. (Not to say the Z06 isn't a ridiculous value for $100K, but it is a cruder, but more powerful machine). The GT3's power and thrill are up high in the rev range, for sure, and the power train is designed to extract it from there. I have never driven a real race car but I would guess this is pretty much a race-car feel in a street car.

On the flip side, the Z06 to me is a super car for the street that performs well on tracks too. It's soft mode is very comfortable for cruising and everyday use. There is a big wide rear hatch. But it feels considerably bigger, heavier, so much hood and fender width in front you. But the engine is a complete beast, off idle there is just unlimited torque, OMG, no need to live at the top of the tach, and the tires have so much mechanical grip it is amazing (my car has the Z07 track pack with Cup tires). That huge lump in front just turns when you tell it to, no complaints, it just does it, no understeer. The rear end, however, is definitely not as well planted, it can get a little jumpy and slippery, much more so than the GT3 I would guess under the same conditions (maybe not a surprise with all the torque available)... but I can't help but feel the rear suspension sophistication is a notch or two lower on the Z06 than the GT3, just based on bump absorption behavior and how it recovers after being unsettled - I'll confirm this in a few weeks when I track the GT3. This being said, the Z06's ultimate-hot-rod, God-almighty kind of power coupled with amazing grip is simply awesome and it's totally addictive -- you just feel like superman driving it - it's so effortless, so brutal. I did many laps at MLSR all in 3rd gear, never felt I ever needed to downshift for pulling power, even out of the hairpin onto the main straight...just stupid power!

But if you forced me pick one now, I would still keep the GT3... just a more special piece, even if it might be a little slower.

Last edited by golfnutintib; 03-04-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-03-2015 | 11:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am still forming the full view, since I have had neither car for long and will be tracking both cars alot this year. My GT3 is not yet through the recommended break in miles but will be soon.

Based on my limited and mostly road driving so far, I would say the comparative reviews are pretty accurate. Inside and out, GT3 feels $50K more of a super high quality, high precision piece, the engine revs/sounds, the PDK-S, the nimble handling, are all super precise and super smooth. (Not to say the Z06 isn't a ridiculous value for $100K). The GT3's power and thrill are up high in the rev range, for sure, and the power train is designed to extract it from there. I have never driven a real race car but I would guess this is a race-car feel in a street car.

The Z06 feels like a super car for the street that can perform on tracks too. It feels bigger, heavier, so much hood and width in front you. But the engine is a complete beast, off idle there feels like unlimited torque, no need to live at the top of the tach, and the tires have so much mechanical grip it is stupid (my car has the Z07 track pack with Cup tires). That huge lump in front just turns when you tell it to, no complaints, it just does it. The rear end of the Z06 is definitely not as well planted. It can get jumpy and slippery moreso than the GT3 (maybe not a surprise with the additional torque available)... but I can't help but feel the rear suspension sophistication is a notch lower on the Z06 than the GT3.
How is the linearity of the Z06 throttle response? Especially in comparison to the GT3?
Old 03-04-2015 | 12:05 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's a clip of a Z06 tangling with a GT3 at Road Atlanta.

GT3 appears on the scene around the 3:44 mark.

(The GT3, is that one of us here?)

Old 03-04-2015 | 12:20 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
How is the linearity of the Z06 throttle response? Especially in comparison to the GT3?
Z06 throttle response is very good, not spiky or at all laggy. Maybe not quite as precise as the GT3 (haven't tracked it yet to play high in the rev range extensively at speed) but it isn't bad at all.
Old 03-04-2015 | 12:22 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Z06 throttle response is very good, not spiky or at all laggy. Maybe not quite as precise as the GT3 (haven't tracked it yet to play high in the rev range extensively at speed) but it isn't bad at all.
Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-04-2015 | 12:52 AM
hughp3
Pro

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Here's a clip of a Z06 tangling with a GT3 at Road Atlanta.

GT3 appears on the scene around the 3:44 mark.

(The GT3, is that one of us here?)

Yup that's me. I did not know I was in a vid till this evening lol. Guy in vet was a hoot, found me after the session. Super nice and had fun with our run. Honestly he was faster, said he ran 1:35's and I ran 1:37's for best time. I know I have a 36 maybe a 35. First day for car at RA. My buddy Nathan (owns Topspeed motorsports) and is fast ran a 1:32.7 later that day. That is a smokin time. Both of us are gob smacked at how good this car is. And we ran it as is with 1500 miles on it. Hats off to Porsche they create something special.
Old 03-04-2015 | 12:55 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hughp3
Yup that's me. I did not know I was in a vid till this evening lol. Guy in vet was a hoot, found me after the session. Super nice and had fun with our run. Honestly he was faster, said he ran 1:35's and I ran 1:37's for best time. I know I have a 36 maybe a 35. First day for car at RA. My buddy Nathan (owns Topspeed motorsports) and is fast ran a 1:32.7 later that day. That is a smokin time. Both of us are gob smacked at how good this car is. And we ran it as is with 1500 miles on it. Hats off to Porsche they create something special.
Cool.
Old 03-04-2015 | 02:55 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by hughp3
Cicio ran a 1:32 in your car? I saw him driving the GT-R around those times.

I timed you at a 1:36 albeit maybe a different part of the track from where your S/F was.
Old 03-04-2015 | 02:57 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

I am still forming the full view, since I have had neither car for long and will be tracking both cars alot this year. My GT3 is not yet through the recommended break in miles but will be soon. As I mentioned above, this was my first track day with the Z06, with street alignment and sound limit issues at the track, so I was no where close to getting the most out of it.

Based on my limited and mostly road driving so far, I would say the comparative reviews that are out there are pretty accurate. Inside and out, the GT3 feels $50K more of a super high quality, high precision piece, the engine revs/sounds, the PDK-S, the nimble handling, are all super precise and super smooth. (Not to say the Z06 isn't a ridiculous value for $100K, but it is a cruder, but more powerful machine). The GT3's power and thrill are up high in the rev range, for sure, and the power train is designed to extract it from there. I have never driven a real race car but I would guess this is pretty much a race-car feel in a street car.

On the flip side, the Z06 to me is a super car for the street that performs well on tracks too. It's soft mode is very comfortable for cruising and everyday use. There is a big wide rear hatch. But it feels considerably bigger, heavier, so much hood and fender width in front you. But the engine is a complete beast, off idle there is just unlimited torque, OMG, no need to live at the top of the tach, and the tires have so much mechanical grip it is amazing (my car has the Z07 track pack with Cup tires). That huge lump in front just turns when you tell it to, no complaints, it just does it, no understeer. The rear end, however, is definitely not as well planted, it can get a little jumpy and slippery, much more so than the GT3 I would guess under the same conditions (maybe not a surprise with all the torque available)... but I can't help but feel the rear suspension sophistication is a notch or two lower on the Z06 than the GT3, just based on bump absorption behavior and how it recovers after being unsettled - I'll confirm this in a few weeks when I track the GT3. This being said, the Z06's ultimate-hot-rod, God-almighty kind of power coupled with amazing grip is simply awesome and it's totally addictive -- you just feel like superman driving it - it's so effortless, so brutal. I did many laps at MLSR all in 3rd gear, never felt I ever needed to downshift for pulling power, even out of the hairpin onto the main straight...just stupid power!

But if you forced me pick one now, I would still keep the GT3... just a more special piece, even if it might be a little slower.

Mirrors my observatons very much so, except for the interior where I don't think the Z is any less so, but then my GT3 doesn't have full leather interior, while my Z does have leather and alcantara and carbon fiber everywhere. The Z also has a WAY better sound system. The GT3 also doesn't have memory seats, which is a big disappointment.

I agree that the GT3 "rotates" better at turns, and I think its because of the rear-wheel steering which is ingenious but was a cause for outcry in the beginning as some purists thought that was too gimmicky for a GT3.

In short, the GT3 is a better "track" car (not necessarily faster, but more focused for that job) while the Z is a better street car for me.
Old 03-04-2015 | 03:02 PM
hughp3
Pro

Hello Wanna911, Cicio ran the last part of happy hour in my car. Stated about 4:45PM ish. I was a nervous wreck. Have his Harry's Laptimer data. Cool if you got me a 1:36 but may have been him if it was last part of the day, although I did not have Harry on every session. I think he ran a 1:31 in West's GTR race car.

Quick Reply: New C7 Z06