Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:38 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, check out that wing in the background.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2014, 01:53 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
why wouldnt the car with rear fender intakes just be new gt2? that would make more sense to me than a gt3rs

btw, i hope porsche leaves awd on next gt2 so it can be used all weather and more predicable handling. it would be more of a track ready turbo. able to compete with nismo gtr. let gt2rs go rwd and be totally bonkers
Center exit exhaust - GT

The old GT 2 was rear wheel drive.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Center exit exhaust - GT

The old GT 2 was rear wheel drive.
And Porsche has no GT2 under development and may not build one at all, according to an interview I saw recently. The old GT2 was already slower than the Turbo S off the line due to traction and adding more power doesn't help. I suspect this is why Corvette is not developing a ZR1 - how do you hook up a FR sports car with 750 ft-lbs of torque or whatever it would be?
Old 01-18-2014, 03:08 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

why wouldnt the car with rear fender intakes just be new gt2? that would make more sense to me than a gt3rs

btw, i hope porsche leaves awd on next gt2 so it can be used all weather and more predicable handling. it would be more of a track ready turbo. able to compete with nismo gtr. let gt2rs go rwd and be totally bonkers

The concept of a GT2 being 2wd is because once upon a time, way back in a land called the 90's, there was a racing class called GT2. This class was for turbo-charged engined cars and rear wheel drive. The original 911 GT2 was a homologation car that Porsche needed to build to qualify for racing in the GT2 class. Hence, a Porsche GT2. An awd wouldn't any longer be a GT2, it would be another version of a Turbo/Turbo S. Which I'm not opposed to. I think the Turbo'd cars are under appreciated in this day and age, but just don't call it a GT2. Maybe a Turbo R or Turbo RS or something. as you said, it would be a great GTR fighter. It would also be pretty neat to have a more track oriented Turbo than the current versions.

All you ever wanted to know about the GT2 and then some
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_GT2
Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

why wouldnt the car with rear fender intakes just be new gt2? that would make more sense to me than a gt3rs btw, i hope porsche leaves awd on next gt2 so it can be used all weather and more predicable handling. it would be more of a track ready turbo. able to compete with nismo gtr. let gt2rs go rwd and be totally bonkers
Seriously? Please stop.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

btw, i hope porsche leaves awd on next gt2 so it can be used all weather and more predicable handling.
No. Really, really no. Porsche needs a scary car. Nothing they currently make, from the 918 to the boxster to the SUVs and sedans, can be considered a scary, challenging drivers car in the way that many if not most Porsches used to be. Grandma could comfortably go for milk with a latte in one hand in the most hardcore cars Porsche makes, and now you want to autocross them in the wet while sipping a coke as well? NOT OK. If they want to go after Nissan at the ring with some other 4wd rocket that's fine, but for the love of god don't neuter the GT2. We've already got so little left.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:47 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Remember that the 993 GT2 was purpose built homologated car to meet FIA production numbers. From this point on Porsche continued to produce a GT2 variant because of customer popularity. Today, there is no GT2 race category and the competition from mid engine rivals has Porsche thinking of other solutions to manage these competitors. It would be sad to see the GT2 go but a 960RS would have everyone forget this very quickly. I'm all for the progress Porsche has planned for the specific category of models.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

960RS...take my money please
Old 01-20-2014, 04:11 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
No. Really, really no. Porsche needs a scary car. Nothing they currently make, from the 918 to the boxster to the SUVs and sedans, can be considered a scary, challenging drivers car in the way that many if not most Porsches used to be. Grandma could comfortably go for milk with a latte in one hand in the most hardcore cars Porsche makes, and now you want to autocross them in the wet while sipping a coke as well? NOT OK. If they want to go after Nissan at the ring with some other 4wd rocket that's fine, but for the love of god don't neuter the GT2. We've already got so little left.
This.

It's just incredible that today we have automotive journalists driving around a circuit with a 900+ lb/ft of torque car like the 918 and it is not only quiet as they're talking to the camera and catching a 911 Turbo S, at times it is completely silent! (Note: I am not bashing the 918 and have never driven one. Just commenting on the relatively tame nature engineered into it)

If this isn't an example of neutering a car I don't know what is. Getting rid of traction "issues", noise, oversteer and diminishing driver involvement by "calibration" does not equate to a better car, IMO.

I like scary but suppose I'm just stuck in the past.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by redleg321
This.

It's just incredible that today we have automotive journalists driving around a circuit with a 900+ lb/ft of torque car like the 918 and it is not only quiet as they're talking to the camera and catching a 911 Turbo S, at times it is completely silent! (Note: I am not bashing the 918 and have never driven one. Just commenting on the relatively tame nature engineered into it)

If this isn't an example of neutering a car I don't know what is. Getting rid of traction "issues", noise, oversteer and diminishing driver involvement by "calibration" does not equate to a better car, IMO.

I like scary but suppose I'm just stuck in the past.
Not a better car indeed; Porsche has built a misguided marketing-over-common sense dud and sales show that. The 918 is going to get utterly trounced by the P1 (6:30-something ring time Sutcliffe tells us) and more by the LaFerrari in terms of performance. It will also lose money. Even worse, it does the opposite of advance the brand like, say, an ultra-lightweight 918 sans battery nonsense would, because it shows the company is appealing to the eco warriors rather than car/track enthusiasts who actually buy their cars. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by redleg321
If this isn't an example of neutering a car I don't know what is. Getting rid of traction "issues", noise, oversteer and diminishing driver involvement by "calibration" does not equate to a better car, IMO. I like scary but suppose I'm just stuck in the past.
Let me state that to get past 100 mph or so on the 918 Spyder, you need to step on the gas pedal hard enough to get the v8 4.6 liter going! After that, there is nothing QUIET about the driving experience!* As I described it after my test drive in November, it's like a 747 Jetliner taking off right behind you! Although the 918 has evolved from the more raw driving experience of the Carrera GT, it is still a beast of a car!

Saludos,
Eduardo
On my way back to Carmel

*Anyone interested in reading about my short driving experience with a 918 Spyder 'Weissach Package' at The Thermal, please click on the link below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...st-2013-a.html

Also Pete Stout has some interesting review of driving the 918 Spyder on the latest PCA Panorama!

Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2014, 10:51 AM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

^ BadAss
Old 01-20-2014, 10:52 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Bashing new products always brings on a great discussion, however so far only a handfull have responded to the OP, assuming that this is the place for most track oriented Porsche buyers, I don't see many lining up for the next RS.
The 918 has so far been not what Porsche expected in sales, is the RS heading that way?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

With respect to 918 sales...was the CGT a hot seller upon introduction? In SoCal, it remember that it was not difficult to order one.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:11 AM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Originally Posted by malmasri
Bashing new products always brings on a great discussion, however so far only a handfull have responded to the OP, assuming that this is the place for most track oriented Porsche buyers, I don't see many lining up for the next RS. The 918 has so far been not what Porsche expected in sales, is the RS heading that way?
I'm not sure the 918 was presented/marketed correctly. People want detailed info on exclusive materials. It's different buying a car of the production numbers are 500 vs 1200. Models like any RS and 918 need to have a definite production number stated at the release and potential buyers should be allowed to touch the car, sit in the car... Etc.

The Carrera GT also didn't reach the expectation for similar reason, although IMHO it was the best sports car at the time.

Quick Reply: GT3RS