Sponsored by:

GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:14 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
I'm not sure the 918 was presented/marketed correctly. People want detailed info on exclusive materials. It's different buying a car of the production numbers are 500 vs 1200. Models like any RS and 918 need to have a definite production number stated at the release and potential buyers should be allowed to touch the car, sit in the car... Etc.

The Carrera GT also didn't reach the expectation for similar reason, although IMHO it was the best sports car at the time.
Not sure how you came to this conclusion I was one of the people that sat in the car, took a ride in a 918 test car at Barber,etc etc....
Porsche went after every potential buyer like never before.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:30 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Not sure how you came to this conclusion I was one of the people that sat in the car, took a ride in a 918 test car at Barber,etc etc.... Porsche went after every potential buyer like never before.
That must have been a great experience! Did you end up buying one?
Old 01-20-2014, 01:43 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Porsche will most likely lose money on the project, having said so I still could not see the value of 1m in it.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm not sure the 918 was presented/marketed correctly. People want detailed info on exclusive materials. It's different buying a car of the production numbers are 500 vs 1200. Models like any RS and 918 need to have a definite production number stated at the release and potential buyers should be allowed to touch the car, sit in the car... Etc.
Re: the 918 Spyder: Porsche has stated that it plans to build just 918 examples of that model for the world market. The exclusive materials going into the 918 are a matter of public record - Porsche has been pretty forthcoming with all of that. As 'malsmasri' has posted, prospective buyers have been taken to Barber in Alabama, Las Vegas (NV) and The Thermal Club (CA) to drive (or be driven) the 918 prototypes! And Porsche has allowed potential US customers to touch & sit in the 918 prototypes since it was first shown at the Monterey Jet Center in the summer of 2010!

As to whether Porsche has marketed the 918 'correctly', only time will tell! If they sell all 918 examples without discounting them - they have succeeded! We will know pretty soon how successful they have been. Start of production has been delayed several times. The latest official announcement is that the 918 will be put into actual production in March of 2014 at Zuffenhausen.

The vehicle is a technology tour de force. It has gotten rave reviews*. I am personally not thrilled with the weight & expense of the Hybrid technology. But I am not the targeted customer for this type of vehicle. However, I am hoping that most of the engineering invested in the 918 will eventually end up being put to use in the upcoming mid-engine 960 model (the FeFi). That is the model which is aimed at folks like those in this particular forum - the prospective customers of past gt3's, gt3 RS's, gt2's and gt2 RS's!

Saludos,
Eduardo

* Don't be discouraged by Steve Sutcliffe recent article on the P1 vs 918.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/mclar...der-which-best

Just a few weeks ago, Steve praised the 918 to 'high heaven' when he drove the Porsche at Valencia. So take what he says now with a grain of North Sea English salt!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Re: the 918 Spyder: Porsche has stated that it plans to build just 918 examples of that model for the world market. The exclusive materials going into the 918 are a matter of public record - Porsche has been pretty forthcoming with all of that. As 'malsmasri' has posted, prospective buyers have been taken to Barber in Alabama, Las Vegas (NV) and The Thermal Club (CA) to drive (or be driven) the 918 prototypes! And Porsche has allowed potential US customers to touch & sit in the 918 prototypes since it was first shown at the Monterey Jet Center in the summer of 2010!

As to whether Porsche has marketed the 918 'correctly', only time will tell! If they sell all 918 examples without discounting them - they have succeeded! We will know pretty soon how successful they have been. Start of production has been delayed several times. The latest official announcement is that the 918 will be put into actual production in March of 2014 at Zuffenhausen.

The vehicle is a technology tour de force. It has gotten rave reviews*. I am personally not thrilled with the weight & expense of the Hybrid technology. But I am not the targeted customer for this type of vehicle. However, I am hoping that most of the engineering invested in the 918 will eventually end up being put to use in the upcoming mid-engine 960 model (the FeFi). That is the model which is aimed at folks like those in this particular forum - the prospective customers of past gt3's, gt3 RS's, gt2's and gt2 RS's!

Saludos,
Eduardo

* Don't be discouraged by Steve Sutcliffe recent article on the P1 vs 918.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/mclar...der-which-best

Just a few weeks ago, Steve praised the 918 to 'high heaven' when he drove the Porsche at Valencia. So take what he says now with a grain of North Sea English salt!

Porsche 918 Spyder driven - is it better than a Bugatti Veyron? - YouTube
+1 Eduardo, all the manufacturers seem to have got into a 'cold war arms race' over hybrid hypercars ... a real shame in my opinion ... I think Porsche should offer a 917.5 package where they throw the batteries and electric motor out ... I wonder what the resulting bhp/ton would be if it only had the petrol engine?

Even better, then put a manual box in it too ...
Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 AM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

While ordering my GT3, I got my impression from a Porsche rep that said many buyers lost their appeal because of the lack of first hand interaction with the concept. It seems this may not be the case from member comments and experience. Although I'm not a fan of this new "hybrids can be performance cars too" trend, I do like the 918. Whoever decides to own one is lucky to have such a techno trophy and Porsche is lucky to have such faithful customers. The 918 is a representation of the future of Porsche and we will see it's tech trickle down to other models in one way or another. I hope the 918 does well and it's owners give positive feed back to give Porsche the confidence to design even more focused sports cars, just with less weight and batteries!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Dan39
Racer

While ordering my GT3, I got my impression from a Porsche rep that said many buyers lost their appeal because of the lack of first hand interaction with the concept. It seems this may not be the case from member comments and experience. Although I'm not a fan of this new "hybrids can be performance cars too" trend, I do like the 918. Whoever decides to own one is lucky to have such a techno trophy and Porsche is lucky to have such faithful customers. The 918 is a representation of the future of Porsche and we will see it's tech trickle down to other models in one way or another. I hope the 918 does well and it's owners give positive feed back to give Porsche the confidence to design even more focused sports cars, just with less weight and batteries!
"I hope the 918 does well... and it's owners give positive feed back to give Porsche the confidence to design even more focused sports cars, just with less weight and batteries!"

I too want my future Porsche sports cars to be lighter-weight and come without batteries (and let's throw in track-proven while we're at it) and for that reason I want the 918 program to fail massively as it is set to do.

Let's have a RS Spyder for the road, please. That's what the 918 ought to have been. Instead, it is a technological albatross of European green-sensitive compromise.

It will get utterly embarrassed at the Ring by the P1 and La Ferrari official figures when they are released (6:3x). Hopefully the reputational damage from that and financial losses will be enough to bring Porsche back to basics.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 AM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

^ LMAO
Old 01-21-2014, 10:17 AM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan39
"I hope the 918 does well... and it's owners give positive feed back to give Porsche the confidence to design even more focused sports cars, just with less weight and batteries!"

I too want my future Porsche sports cars to be lighter-weight and come without batteries (and let's throw in track-proven while we're at it) and for that reason I want the 918 program to fail massively as it is set to do.

Let's have a RS Spyder for the road, please. That's what the 918 ought to have been. Instead, it is a technological albatross of European green-sensitive compromise.

It will get utterly embarrassed at the Ring by the P1 and La Ferrari official figures when they are released (6:3x). Hopefully the reputational damage from that and financial losses will be enough to bring Porsche back to basics.
And it's ok for Ferrari and McLaren to run hybrid drive systems because......?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

they are in f1
Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by tmg57
And it's ok for Ferrari and McLaren to run hybrid drive systems because......?
I dislike all three concepts, but the Porsche is the worst by hundreds of kilograms.

Quoting:

Even with the weight saving “Weissach Package” installed, the 918 murders the scales at 1665kg. Beside the P1 – which weighs 1490kg all up or 1395kg “dry” without fluids – that looks cumbersome. And beside The Ferrari – a mere 1255kg dry so call it around 1345kg all up – it seems downright bloated.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:41 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39

I hope to high heaven the big wigs see the opportunity with the 960 to do just this...I want that RS V8 so badly!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

My understanding is that the 918 and P1 have an E-mode to increase economy as well as performance while the LaFerrari only uses its hybrid tech for performance gains only. Also, the LaFerrari should be the fastest based on power to weight ratios:
LaFerrari 707hp/ton
P1 606hp/ton
918 477 hp/ton
Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 PM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
My understanding is that the 918 and P1 have an E-mode to increase economy as well as performance while the LaFerrari only uses its hybrid tech for performance gains only. Also, the LaFerrari should be the fastest based on power to weight ratios:
LaFerrari 707hp/ton
P1 606hp/ton
918 477 hp/ton
The dry weight of the LaFiat is very nearly 1,000 lbs (!!!!) lighter than a 918's curb. How does that make any engineering or marketing sense at all when we're talking about seven-figure price tags? What an incredible set of data these hyper cars are producing.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:42 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

ferrari dry weight is figment of imagination. i would add 300 lbs for laFerrari in real world.

i know 918 puts e power to front wheels but what about laf and p1? are they awd also?

Quick Reply: GT3RS