Sponsored by:

GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:13 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
Hard to imagine this being much faster. Weren't we told that the RWS was equivalent to 50hp or was it 75? That would more than make up for the smaller engine. With the wider shell mitigating the use of lighter materials somewhat I doubt they find truly significant weight savings. So basically you get wilder looks/C&C bling for $50k.

And 21 inch wheels at the back - my God, the 20 inch wheels are already a problem re track tires!

For exactly the same money, I would have to think long and hard about whether I would take this over the standard 3. For $50k it's a joke.
I believe the RS will be far more than wider looks and C&C bling over the gt3.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:45 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Historically, I imagine there was a meaningful performance difference to the RS? I wouldn't expect anything different now... I would bet the same was being said when the 997 GT3 came out - 'it'll be really hard to improve this...' They know where the compromises were made in the Carrera S which makes it relatively easy to design a GT3, and they know where compromises were made to develop a RS from there...
Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 AM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Originally Posted by mgent
Historically, I imagine there was a meaningful performance difference to the RS? I wouldn't expect anything different now... I would bet the same was being said when the 997 GT3 came out - 'it'll be really hard to improve this...' They know where the compromises were made in the Carrera S which makes it relatively easy to design a GT3, and they know where compromises were made to develop a RS from there...
When VW acquired Porsche, a VW executive did make a statement about strengthening the brand by focusing on sports cars. This statement was proved true with the immediate development of the 918. I think the RS models will differentiate itself from the GT models more and more.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by mgent
The last normal RS (not 4.0) was not much faster than the 'base' GT3 at all. This one will supposedly widen the gap but from the description - 30 more hp, some lighter bits, some areo, wider shell offsetting some of the lighter bits, and no RWS - it doesn't sound like it will be much faster to me. The big thing though, the 21 inch rears, sounds like a nightmare for track enthusiasts.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 AM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

^ 21's do sound ridiculous.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

They could easily widen the gap with suspension, more track-oriented dampers, stiffer spring rates and bars to match it's R rubber. The RS doesn't need to be as streetable as the now more street pleasing base GT3.

21" rears sound horrible, wonder what the thinking is with that decision? Maybe something to do with elimination of RWS.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:40 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,017 Likes on 2,837 Posts

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
^ 21's do sound ridiculous.
And expensive!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:07 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
They could easily widen the gap with suspension, more track-oriented dampers, stiffer spring rates and bars to match it's R rubber. The RS doesn't need to be as streetable as the now more street pleasing base GT3.
I completely agree. Wish the RS would come with decent 2-way adjustable suspension from factory. That would definitely make the car more track focused and making the difference more justifiable.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,017 Likes on 2,837 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
I completely agree. Wish the RS would come with decent 2-way adjustable suspension from factory. That would definitely make the car more track focused and making the difference more justifiable.
I agree, however, this would also allow for an owner to really destroy performance (and make the car unstable at the limit) as well. Don't think Porsche wants to give owners that much control (suspension setup is notoriously difficult for those who are not experienced and skillful).

But as a counterpoint, Porsche has offered adjustable front and rear swaybars on its RS models for decades and that has some disasterous possibilities for the uninitiated. So, maybe I'm wrong...
Old 01-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

People talk about the RS not having RWS as though it were a given. I'm not at all sure that will be the case; in fact I will be surprised if it's true. Of course, I've been surprised before....
Old 01-10-2014, 02:52 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
People talk about the RS not having RWS as though it were a given. I'm not at all sure that will be the case; in fact I will be surprised if it's true. Of course, I've been surprised before....
there was a published interview with top german guy (prunigner?) where he stated the reason no rear wheel steering on RS would most likely be "battery power" issues....and that they were hoping it would be resolved by the time the RS was ready
Old 01-10-2014, 05:07 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I agree, however, this would also allow for an owner to really destroy performance (and make the car unstable at the limit) as well.

But as a counterpoint, Porsche has offered adjustable front and rear swaybars on its RS models for decades and that has some disasterous possibilities for the uninitiated. So, maybe I'm wrong...
It would be interesting to see a multi-mode Porsche "manettino" and marketed as race track adjustable suspension. But if the 918 doesn't have this already can't see it being here.

Definitely have a hard time believing Porsche will allow 2 way adjustment at the shock itself, but would be fun to have and potentially give a special marketing lap time while still being streetable.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

New RS pics:
This must be getting close to final spec, excluding the wing design. Wing supports show 3.8, but obviously borrowed from the GT3. Might still be a 3.8, but I'll bet 4.0. Only about 7 weeks to go.
1.Wider turbo fenders with air inlets
2 Wide front fenders (notice the recessed fuel door)

Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 AM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

^^ Oh my
Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
New RS pics:
This must be getting close to final spec, excluding the wing design.
1.Wider turbo fenders with air inlets
2 Wide front fenders (notice the recessed fuel door)
Different design at stem of rear view mirrors too (photo 1), compared to gt3. Possibly to divert air into rear air inlets at 'turbo' fenders, similar to what they did on 918!

Originally Posted by consolidated
It would be interesting to see a multi-mode Porsche "manettino" and marketed as race track adjustable suspension. But if the 918 doesn't have this already can't see it being here.
The 918 does have a 'manettino' of sorts on the steering wheel (photo 2).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Currently in Scottsdale

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: GT3RS