Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production has begun!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike. Thanks for the well wishes. Im simply frustrated at the lack of visibility specially given I have travel plans, 6 weeks away from home/business and all costs that you can imagine with that and spending 6 weeks on holiday. I left booking to the last minute when we were finally issued a VIN number towards the end of what I understood to be the production cycle only to find for the last week its been parked up as uncompleted V260 "delayed" no date for completion.....remembering that there is 10 days minimum between exit factory and availability to pick up and today is 25 November it would have to be completed today for it to be ready for me when I arrive 5 Dec. Looks like Ill be booking a rental car for 4 days and taking in some of the sights while I wait.....almost there but not quite yet!!!
Old 11-24-2013, 09:48 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
A fellow Rennlister whose car went into production the same day as mine, and was completed, ordered the same color as I did so I don't think that's it. A guess is that since we've been hearing that more GT3's are being produced relative to other models to catch up on production, maybe some items from suppliers have run short, say PCCB's or front lift components. But I don't really know.
The only meaningful differences between our cars were PCCB and Sportchrono. I doubt the clock can delay anything, but PCCB may be in short supply. Sorry to hear about the uncertainty with your car.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mike. Thanks for the well wishes. Im simply frustrated at the lack of visibility specially given I have travel plans, 6 weeks away from home/business and all costs that you can imagine with that and spending 6 weeks on holiday. I left booking to the last minute when we were finally issued a VIN number towards the end of what I understood to be the production cycle only to find for the last week its been parked up as uncompleted V260 "delayed" no date for completion.....remembering that there is 10 days minimum between exit factory and availability to pick up and today is 25 November it would have to be completed today for it to be ready for me when I arrive 5 Dec. Looks like Ill be booking a rental car for 4 days and taking in some of the sights while I wait.....almost there but not quite yet!!!
Macca, I know exactly what you're going through. In '84 I was supposed to take tourist delivery of my 3.2 Carrera, but a couple of weeks before the pickup date the metalworkers in Germany went on strike and the factory closed. Had to take a rental car for my vacation. The last day before we left for home we returned to Stuttgart. The factory had reopened a few days earlier and I found out my car had been built. They kindly brought it out so I could see it but I wasn't able to drive it. It was another 15 years before I finally got to do a real tourist delivery and drive a Porsche in Germany. I hope your experience turns out better!

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
The only meaningful differences between our cars were PCCB and Sportchrono. I doubt the clock can delay anything, but PCCB may be in short supply. Sorry to hear about the uncertainty with your car.
Thanks Max. The fact that our cars are so similar except for the brakes and started production the same day, is what made me think maybe the PCCB's were the reason yours got built and mine didn't. Whatever the reason, it will work itself out.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike. There is some comfort in knowing I may not be the first! I think the lesson here is that with a limited run GT car its always far more difficult to plan. With the 991 GT3 the birth has been a long and painful one for all. In reality however those in the UK and USA are probably ony going to receive their cars a few weeks later than originally anticipated in march, its the ROW LHD guys in other markets that have really paid the price this time.

Interestingly my car is non PCCB and still delayed on v260. Id be suprised if Porsche did not have sufficient inventory of PCCB in their JIT system as in reality Id imagine the GT3 delay has infact been putting pressure on suppliers working capital and warehousing - having been in the game Im pretty sure the likes of Brembo will be seeking some form of compensation for non performance from Porsche if indeed they are lucky enough to have a bi-lateral agreement in this regard (possibly unlikely). Im sure as hell Porsche would be applying severe penalties to any supplier who have not met their KPIs!

I did make some changes only 3-4 weeks out form production (CS option and remove LED headlights) so I guess there is possibility the car has been quarantined for retrofitting of these options if the system was unlocked when it shouldn't have been which could have created a delay...in all honestly I wouldnt bat an eyelid if the car was delivered to the original specification (and neither would I complain).
Old 11-25-2013, 01:32 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Macca, I bet you that your car is all ready to go, however the system has not been updated and that your car will be ready for you before you get there. Hang in t here now. You are on the last stretch. She is almost home. Time to clean up the garage
Old 11-25-2013, 02:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

silverrules. Mate I hope you are right! Maybe Porsche could pull a surprise for me after Ive been fiercely defending their product on here these last 9 months LOL!
Old 11-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good news gents. after what appears to be a 2 week production gestation the dealer has advised me this morning the car is showing in the system as completed! Phew. Now we work out whats next...
Old 11-25-2013, 09:01 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM
new GT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent! We were all pulling for you, and are anxiosly looking forward to living vicariously through you on your trip!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:29 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

I don't deal well with my feelings of jealousy
Old 11-25-2013, 11:06 AM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news gents. after what appears to be a 2 week production gestation the dealer has advised me this morning the car is showing in the system as completed! Phew. Now we work out whats next...
getting too jealous....the next weeks will be tough for me....worse still that i am far away from my black fezza baby....

i do not need a GT3 i do not need a GT3 i do not need a GT3 i do not need a GT3
i do not....
:::))) peter
Old 11-25-2013, 11:49 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

, Told you my friend
Old 11-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by new GT3
Excellent! We were all pulling for you, and are anxiosly looking forward to living vicariously through you on your trip!
+1 !
Old 11-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate the support! Yes, Silverrules you were right. Mike I assume your car will probably update in the next 48hrs too. Hopefully built and just awaiting the system to catch up! I have a factory delivery date of 6th Dec but the long range weather in Stuttgart I must confess isnt looking great that day (snow the day before!). Still working around the logistics but will be taking it out of Germany asap to slightly warmer climes (start with Zurich then down to Lyon and on to Nice via some nice winding back roads!

Will keep you all posted enroute!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,095 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Will keep you all posted enroute!
Looking forward to that - have a great time!

Quick Reply: Production has begun!