991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,527 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
I'm not sure this is an acceptable reason but I believe, as I posted earlier, that it is a plausible reason:

Let's assume that Porsche decided to build "X" number of GT3's. They further concluded that they could sell all of that number with either PDK or manual transmissions. By developing only one of those choices, they saved a substantial amount of money. At this point, it appears that their estimate of the market demand may have been correct. Maybe they chose PDK-S over the manual because it represents a move to the future and appears to deliver a little better performance numbers?

That explanation may not satisfy everyone, but from a business perspective, it seems to make sense. If, down the road, the market tells them that they erred, they can always backtrack.
I think their decision needs to look beyond short- or intermediate-term business/money considerations and show some regard for what Porsche has uniquely been all about since its founding ... the soul of the company. That means offering a manual GT3. No excuses either, they're making oodles of money overall.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
I think their decision needs to look beyond short- or intermediate-term business/money considerations and show some regard for what Porsche has uniquely been all about since its founding ... the soul of the company. That means offering a manual GT3. No excuses either, they're making oodles of money overall.
No argument, but I would challenge you to explain "soul" to a German CFO.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,527 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
No argument, but I would challenge you to explain "soul" to a German CFO.
The company's success to date has been built on its distinct soul. Cayenne sales (and engineering) wouldn't be what they are without that. The 991 GT3 should be the ideal embodiment of that, connecting the driver with the car like few or no other cars can. AP claims that PDK-S doesn't compromise that connection, even enhances it, but now we've heard from respected journalists who've driven the car and disagree. And it's not hard to see that the physicality of manual shifting could never be replaced with PDK, no matter how fast or aggressive it is.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:07 PM
tmg57
Racer

The company's success to date has been built on its distinct soul. Cayenne sales (and engineering) wouldn't be what they are without that. The 991 GT3 should be the ideal embodiment of that, connecting the driver with the car like few or no other cars can. AP claims that PDK-S doesn't compromise that connection, even enhances it, but now we've heard from respected journalists who've driven the car and disagree. And it's not hard to see that the physicality of manual shifting could never be replaced with PDK, no matter how fast or aggressive it is.
Well said, but it doesn't change the direction that the market is going. None of us can say for sure what the future holds, but it seems likely that the MT will be gone from all but a very specialized market niche in the not too distant future. As I said in the earlier post, maybe Porsche moved a little too soon but probably not, ultimately, in the wrong direction.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Personally, I don't see how the "distinct soul" of a car company can rest solely, or even mainly, on the mechanical interface involved with one single aspect of driving and car ownership, but I accept that for some it apparently does.

No matter how you slice it this topic is incredibly emotional, nuanced, and subjective. Almost everyone who cares about Porsche has an opinion. We've heard from respected journalists who agree that Porsche have done exactly the right thing, and respected journalists who think they haven't. In almost all reviews the negatives are footnotes and agreement is unanimous that the car is spectacular, even if some reviewers feel it misses absolute perfection because of the gearbox.

Whatever. At this point, I'm about maxed out on the speculative and subjective input. I'll be driving the car for myself in a few months and will reach my own conclusions. It's possible I'm making a $150K mistake, but I really doubt it.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

Whatever. At this point, I'm about maxed out on the speculative and subjective input. I'll be driving the car for myself in a few months and will reach my own conclusions. It's possible I'm making a $150K mistake, but I really doubt it.
Mike,I hope you don't take the dispute personally and shouldn't influence you in any way. We are mature people here and shouldn't,at any point,turn this into a game of judgement upon people that are buying the car nor upon those who are not.
As I've mentioned before,for what is worth,I have no doubt the car will turn out to be great overall,whether Porsche will regret anything about their decision remains to be seen,although I'm convinced and hope that they will!
Choice is great and it's one of the fundamentals upon the " Land of the Free " has been built,too bad we're dealing with freaking stubborn Germans here!

Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 PM
tmg57
Racer

Personally, I don't see how the "distinct soul" of a car company can rest solely, or even mainly, on the mechanical interface involved with one single aspect of driving and car ownership, but I accept that for some it apparently does.

No matter how you slice it this topic is incredibly emotional, nuanced, and subjective. Almost everyone who cares about Porsche has an opinion. We've heard from respected journalists who agree that Porsche have done exactly the right thing, and respected journalists who think they haven't. In almost all reviews the negatives are footnotes and agreement is unanimous that the car is spectacular, even if some reviewers feel it misses absolute perfection because of the gearbox.

Mike, at least you put your money where your mouth is. Likewise, there are clearly a number of posters on this forum who were serious prospective buyers of the new GT3 and have demurred because of the transmission, or other, issues. Full credit to them as well. As for the "tire kickers" and other dilettantes who populate the forum, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I highly doubt your making a mistake. Perfect candidate.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I highly doubt your making a mistake. Perfect candidate.
I'll take that as a compliment.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:47 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,238 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I don't think your getting the point. Those snide remarks aside, mainly we enjoy manuals because it feels like your one with the car. You have to think and evolve your self in it. It's doing what your make it do. You don't get that feeling in a automatic. I am a better driver when driving manual because my head is in the game when driving automatics I don't and I get distracted or I start multi tasking because it's boring.
I was not clear I guess. I have absolutely no problem with someone preferring manual. As I said, I do many things old-school way that others would not understand just because that way better FOR ME, even if objectively that is not as efficient or effective, so I completely get it.

I was mostly responding to a comment implying that manuals are universally preferred, based on incorrect interpretation of numbers. It's just not the case. But it does not make preferring manual any less valid or respectable - please do not get me wrong.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:35 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

Classic Internet forum degeneration.. When all cogent subjects are exhausted, we digress into long-winded prose and artful name-calling. This thread is long-dead
Old 09-05-2013, 06:06 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
I think it's somewhat reasonable to assume Porsche made an accounting decision to offer 1 transmission and the PDK won due to engineering merits.

I'm not sure. That's a good question. And I agree it's a mistake by Porsche, but it's moot either way. They aren't offering a MT.

This is a near exact "tech evolution" analogy to the current situation, and your avoidance of the question tells me all I need to know.

I don't have an issue with the anti-pdk movement other than the monumental hypocrisy - you want ABS and modern suspensions "forced" on you, but not PDK.

Why aren't you mad at Porsche for not offering a torsion bar suspension and an air cooled engine?

Fair enough, but why get so passionate about where to draw a line in a pretty grey area?

I think Porsche may genuinely be mystified by the whole concept of a pro-performance customer who wants to trade performance for antiquated technology.
You couldnt be any more presumptuous if you were paid to do so. Someones acceptance of the fact that there is a government mandated regulation requiring abs on cars means i wanted it there?

Not only that as mentioned abs is OPTIONAL to use. Again you are jumping to more conclusions.

And talk about extrapolation fallacy, you turned right around and used it to say that if we dont want pdk we should want everything from a 993 or better yet how about a 930 or 912. Why dont we just stick to the original concept.

Hypocrisy you say?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Close this thread...it has degenerated to insulting now
Old 09-05-2013, 09:26 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
The main reason sports cars historically used manuals is because they provided better performance relative to torque-converted-based autos.

Now there's no sacrifice at all, and actually INCREASED performance with the dual clutch systems. If the manual transmission had never been invented, everyone would be cheering the evolution of torque converter to PDK.

If none of you "anti-technology" guys had ever driven a manual and walked into a Porsche dealer offering a manual with three pedals and PDK to buy your first car (with no knowledge of or history with how a manual operated), not a single one of you would buy a car that required such primitive interaction.

You would scoff at the sheer engineering idiocy of trying to manage the engine, the brakes and the transmission with 3 different pedals and 2 feet.

The manual transmission design wasn't engineered to be "interactive" and have "character," it was simply the best compromise of design and mechanical tools available at the time.

You guys believe it has "character" because you were forced to adapt to a screwy methodology (3 pedals, 2 feet) due to the fact that it was required to achieve the best performance. A sacrifice clearly worth making at the time.

So now we have this interesting psychological phenomena related to the fact that all that hard work has become worthless. My Holiday Inn Express psych analysis says that rather than just admitting we all spent a LOT of time learning a no-longer needed skill, we rewrite the story so that the unique skill and hard work is still valuable by making claims like "PDK drivers aren't real men and CAN'T drive a manual" - "PDK doesn't have any character" "PDK is for xBox punks" and "why don't you just set your computer for the track and watch it go around by itself!"

The only thing more bizarre than continuing to drive a maximum performance track car with 3 pedals and 2 feet with the objective of POORER performance is the outlandish, ego-driven rationalizations required to institutionalize the reasons for doing so (with the associated internet nods of agreement and mutual cheers of harrumph from the fellow manly men with equally worthless 3 pedal, 2 feet skills).
Yes, according to you PDK is the savior we all needed to have to be fastest and yet Porsche Motorsport don't use the technology in their race cars... Why???? Admittedly they did, like 30 years ago... If Porsche are in the business of winning and PDK is the fastest option, why don't they use it??? Maybe their motorsport customers are antiquated ***** living in the stone ages too???

Originally Posted by wanna911
Based on your theory, If max performance was the only variable and feel and function were not important, classic cars would have no place still being around and should be crushed for lack of technology.

The bizarre thing is those talking about the gain in performance, which is small, don't have any intentions on using said performance gain. Which, even if they did only really matters if you are racing competitively. 90% of cars at a DE even are there to enjoy themselves, for fun. So saving .25 on a shift isn't going to make any difference to them whatsoever........ What you are saying is insightful but is not applicable to the real world in the vast majority of scenarios.

You completely leave out the fact that guys buy cars purely for enjoyment. Having the maximum performance is NOT BY ANY MEANS everyone's goal. If that was the case, we would all be driving around, or tracking only, heavily modified cars built to the tee for maximum performance. No comfort options, no AC, no 18 way seats.

There are too many flaws in your theory to hit on all of them, but that's a start. It doesn't matter how manuals came to be, the fact is that people love them and don't need to have a reason to do so. And computerized mechanicals can't duplicate everything. Some things feel better natural.
Exactly! A few tenths saved shifting ain't going to cover the 3 second losses most are making at the corners because they're there to have fun, not to win a race!

Originally Posted by Petevb
I'd argue that it's even more bizarre that some continue under the delusion that the GT3 is a "maximum performance track car".

Porsche makes track cars: RSR, GT3 Cup, LeMans racers. All have cages, no interior, fuel cells and are built for professional competition. The street GT3, on the other hand, is a soft, unsafe and slow track car by comparison. It will get passed by actual track cars costing a fraction as much, its warrantee will go out the window when tracked, and it's not classed to race in any professional series.

It's a street car that one can take to the track occasionally. To imagine otherwise is simply delusional IMHO.
Exactly! We complain about losing a CL wheel, we're told it ain't a race car, what do you expect... We ask for manual and we're told its now a track car and must be the fastest it possibly can be... Go figure.

Nope earlierapex, its a track capable street car!

Last edited by 911rox; 09-05-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Agreed!

Quick Reply: Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs