Sponsored by:

Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

It's a street car that one can take to the track occasionally. To imagine otherwise is simply delusional IMHO.
An absolutely perfect description of a regular 991, which is both slower and available with a manual, thus meeting your requirements.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:12 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

6. CAFE standards for passenger cars will be at 37mpg in little more than 2 years. Hybrids are coming (the 991 chassis has been designed for a hybrid power train; also see 918 test bed vehicle) and MT's don't fit with that technology. The 7 speed PDK derived manual is no more than a placeholder until then and Porsche was not inclined to develop a new manual for a single production run of the 991 GT3, especially when PDK-S proved to be so potent in development. Some customers have been bitterly disappointed, but that disappointment was inevitable within a couple of years anyway.
Mike,I found your comment very interesting!
This part got my attention the most : " the 991 chassis has been designed for a hybrid power train; "
I've never heard that before but I'd be really interested whether you have more info where they'll fit the hybrid power train(and by that I mean batteries) on the 991 without sacrificing the rear seats nor the trunk? I am aware they've successfully used the technology in the 997 GT3 R hybrid,but that's a stripped out race car.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Mike,I found your comment very interesting!
This part got my attention the most : " the 991 chassis has been designed for a hybrid power train; "
I've never heard that before but I'd be really interested whether you have more info where they'll fit the hybrid power train(and by that I mean batteries) on the 991 without sacrificing the rear seats nor the trunk? I am aware they've successfully used the technology in the 997 GT3 R hybrid,but that's a stripped out race car.
Nick, I wish I could refer you to an exact reference. I've read so much about the 991 and 991 GT3 that some of the sources blend together. However, I specifically remember reading several times when the 991 was introduced that one of the goals of the stretched wheelbase and the relocation of the engine in the chassis was to accommodate future hybrid components.

Edit: I found one reference....

From Car Magazine September 2011:
"Encouraged by the motor sport success of the 911 GT3 R Hybrid, Porsche has prepared the DNA of project 991 to accommodate a conventional plug-in hybrid system at a later stage."
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...e-derivatives/

Edit 2: And this, also from 2011:

"It’s not a secret anymore that Porsche will debut the all-new 911 (dubbed 991) this September, at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, right? Meanwhile, we found out that Porsche is working on a hybrid version of the 991, according to unofficial sources. How we know this? Apparently, the test mules spotted in California were recently spied at a gas station. Of course, there is nothing weird about this, but according to people who saw the test mule, the car was not making any noise when it appeared at the gas station. This confirms all the rumors about a hybrid version of the 911."
http://www.4wheelsnews.com/official-...on-of-the-911/
Old 09-04-2013, 02:44 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Mike!

That's going to be a sad day...
Old 09-04-2013, 02:51 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
If none of you "anti-technology" guys had ever driven a manual and walked into a Porsche dealer offering a manual with three pedals and PDK to buy your first car (with no knowledge of or history with how a manual operated), not a single one of you would buy a car that required such primitive interaction.
What do you do for a living? Do you work in "high-tech" per chance?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks Mike!

You're welcome, Nick, and I tend to agree. That's one reason why I'm in the market for a new GT3 now, and why waiting for a Gen 2 version with MT may not only be in vain, but may bring other unwelcome changes for some enthusiasts. At least, that's what I fear.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:56 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Mike!

Why sad? Every Formula One car is a hybrid (KERS), and if you do it right, you can add a LOT of performance by combining the engine and motor output. I think it's an opportunity to make the car even higher-performance while simultaneously increasing efficiency.

Just as an aside, increasing efficiency is a primary goal of every race car designer/engineer. Just because it's "green" and "politically correct" doesn't mean it isn't in keeping with high-performance automotive design!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blake
What do you do for a living? Do you work in "high-tech" per chance?
kinda sorta, but not really - biotech probably wouldn't count as tech?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

"why don't you just set your computer for the track and watch it go around by itself!"
Sure, why not? Serious question.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:18 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your argument technique is called "extrapolation fallacy" it would be like me saying, if a lack of technology is equivalent to "feel," why not just ride a bicycle?
You are using more complexities than needed. Your ground suggests that everyone should want the fastest car possible and to want a fast enough car is, as you say "bizarre". Which is still a "fallacy" because the GT3 still isn't nearly the fastest car.

It sounds like there may be as many different opinions on the intended use of a GT3 as there are on the lack of a MT. According to Porsche ~80% of GT3 buyers regularly track their cars. I would assume a tracked car would have performance as an objective (you even admitted in an earlier post that you look at the data on your shifts on the straights trying to pickup a tenth or two here and there, which is completely counter to this point).
So a manual GT3 doesn't offer performance?

It doesn't take much thought to see the flaw in that sentiment. We are talking about a difference of less than 1% to possibly 3% difference in a high performance car. Just a little insight suggest that many people would trade that for tradition, habit, enjoyment, sentiment or for whatever reason they decide to continue driving a manual.

If that balance is the true objective, you can get all that in a 991 with a manual. Case closed.
What balance, I didn't offer any.........

The GT3 used to be a huge compromise for track-oriented performance (my wife refused to ride in my old GT3 to dinner).
Fixed for accuracy. But that's another point altogether.

So says the guy who hasn't even driven a PDK-S equipped GT3.
Blind faith in spite of the concrete evidence I see...... Good luck with that.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64

Why sad? Every Formula One car is a hybrid (KERS), and if you do it right, you can add a LOT of performance by combining the engine and motor output. I think it's an opportunity to make the car even higher-performance while simultaneously increasing efficiency.

Just as an aside, increasing efficiency is a primary goal of every race car designer/engineer. Just because it's "green" and "politically correct" doesn't mean it isn't in keeping with high-performance automotive design!
You may have a point in racing but for a street car I really wouldn't like the humming noise of the battery powered motor with beautiful real engine sound being played thru the advanced Burmester speakers.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hf1
Sure, why not? Serious question.
Considering the technology to drive a car at maximum speed around a track without a driver doesn't actually exist, how can it be a serious question?

Technology is constantly evolving: disc brakes are better than drums, synchros better than none, ECU better than carbs, water cooling better than air, ABS better, tires are better, suspension technology is MUCH better, aerodynamics, ad infinitum.

Most modern cars have all that, so why did you buy one? Hasn't the car lost some of it's character?

At every step, the purists and anti-tech crowd screams bloody murder that the new cars aren't pure driver's cars anymore because of [insert your favorite luddite bogeyman here].

The serious questions should be, how long will it be before PDK is universally accepted like ABS?

Or we can all play, let's guess the next technological advancement that the old guard will scream about on rennlist (and buy the car 6 months later...)
Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It's funny how Americans think manuals are special. At the same time, the rest of the world had manuals almost exclusively till just a decade ago, and very few have such sentimental feelings about them. Outside of the NA bubble...this attitude just does not make sense... For most people in the wide world, it's in the same bucket as being able to tie shoelaces...
There is a rather large difference between people who use MT to get from A to B because they have to and the tiny percentage of drivers worldwide who heel-toe because they want to. As to everyone knowing how to use an MT elsewhere, how do fuel costs figure into this, and the penalty of an automatic in that scenario?

While China is coming up big, NA remains Porsche's largest market, is arguably its most stable, is certainly the market that brought Porsche the bulk of its success since 1955 (that is not to suggest NA is "owed something" as a result, though some might feel that way). Perhaps most importantly for the discussion at hand, NA is by far Porsche's largest market for sports cars. So, in that light, should a large percentage of Porsche's NA customers—and these are very loyal customers—be ignored?

Even if we view NA and its MT customers' predilections as a "bubble" in the worldwide picture, this is a sizeable group. Pick a number...20%, 30%, 50%...it's a not-small part of a not-small market. And remember: dealer-ordered cars for the floor and the success of models no longer offered with manual tend to obscure true demand, as do customers who leave the fold for Corvette, Audi, BMW, etc.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,527 Posts

If none of you "anti-technology" guys had ever driven a manual and walked into a Porsche dealer offering a manual with three pedals and PDK to buy your first car (with no knowledge of or history with how a manual operated), not a single one of you would buy a car that required such primitive interaction.

You would scoff at the sheer engineering idiocy of trying to manage the engine, the brakes and the transmission with 3 different pedals and 2 feet.
Wrong. I walked into the Porsche dealership with almost zero experience driving manual (about 15 years prior), so I assumed I need to get PDK. Test drove a bunch of PDK cars, but something was always missing. Then I ran across a manual Boxster RS60 which looked nice, so I gave it a try and loved the manual - that's what was missing. Wound up buying a manual Porsche, then another, then another. And BTW, I'm an engineer.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:52 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64

I own a Tesla Model S P85 package, it is a VERY awesome car in 99 ways ... that said, for my tickle me elmo moment car, to have a fun and "involvement" drive.. not a scratch on my 911.

I love my Tesla. I was one of the first deposits, and I invested in the company but----when it comes to a sports car. I ask for gush-bumps.

As much as i love F1 for 20 years...the KERS system is a meh.It all started to fall apart after 2006.

Rev limited implementation by FIA
Slick tires/ no tyre wars
Aero limitations
... I remember the days I use to get up at 3am to watch f1... no way i do that now. F1 lost its sou/ passion to me.

Quick Reply: Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs