Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, good to see you posting even after this thread melted down then had moments of clarity.

Agreed that it changes the way the driver interacts with the car.

Completely agreed with your buddy Harris' analogy to the checkout gal.

I think it boils down to whether one can actually approach the PDK box in the GT3 with an open mind; does one have the ability to hit the backspace button and judge the new metal based on its merit?

Highly individual decision.

Tough to ask for many, I think.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:25 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I think it boils down to whether one can actually approach the PDK box in the GT3 with an open mind; does one have the ability to hit the backspace button and judge the new metal based on its merit?

Completely agree. No one driver can tell another driver "how it is or should be" on this subject. This thread has really cemented that for me. It's not just a driver to driver thing, but a car to car thing for each driver.

There are plenty of cars I like with two pedals, and I think those who end up liking two pedals in a GT3 are going to have a rockin' good time in the new car—and we'll be hearing superlatives from them. And that will be nice, because the car really is that good.

pete
Old 09-06-2013, 12:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

This is what ZF is currently developing in terms of transmission :

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...owertrain.html

They are still offering 3 types of 6 speed manual transmission for rear wheel drive vehicles,including sport cars :

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...smission.shtml

The S6-45 might be a good choice for the GT3 with some modifications. It can hold up to 470 NM torque. The 991 GT3 has 440 NM torque.

Advantages :

High shift comfort through low operating forces, short and precise shift paths
Compact construction, weight reduction through lightweight design
Very good efficiency
Optimal coordination and synchronization
Flexible transmission ratio, and adaptable depending on the passenger car engine type
Full cost controls through consistent modular conception

I believe the 997 GT3 is using a 6 speed Getrag. I found this thread with some info on the history of this transmission :

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...n-a-997-a.html

Here's a link to current manual transmissions offered by Getrag :

http://www.getrag.com/en/products/ma...ssions_mt.html

In terms of weight savings,you can't beat the Manual!

Last edited by neanicu; 09-06-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Pete, good to see you posting even after this thread melted down then had moments of clarity.

Agreed that it changes the way the driver interacts with the car.

Completely agreed with your buddy Harris' analogy to the checkout gal.

Tough to ask for many, I think.
The train has left the station. What you are hearing now is the decreasing sound of the train as it distances itself from the station. Within five years if not sooner, you will not hear anything.

This talk of mechanical involvement or input are dying last gasps.The MT is just stepping into the netherworld. May it rest in peace.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:55 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
The train has left the station. What you are hearing now is the decreasing sound of the train as it distances itself from the station. Within five years if not sooner, you will not hear anything.

This talk of mechanical involvement or input are dying last gasps.The MT is just stepping into the netherworld. May it rest in peace.
Just like vinyl records.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:57 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

What Nick forgot to mention is that the train is full of Porsche customers leaving the brand.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Collateral damage. Nothing more.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
What Nick forgot to mention is that the train is full of Porsche customers leaving the brand.
GOOD ONE!

The reality is those customers are still using clubs to catch and slay their prey. That is why they are on a one way trip to the cemetery.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Der-Schwabe
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

(...)

The S6-45 might be a good choice for the GT3 with some modifications. It can hold up to 470 NM torque. The 991 GT3 has 385 NM torque.
Not arguing about the point here other than that the 991 GT3 has a max torque of 440 NM...thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:51 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Der-Schwabe

Not arguing about the point here other than that the 991 GT3 has a max torque of 440 NM...thought it was worth mentioning.
You are correct,my mistake.
Thank you.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

You are correct,my mistake.
Thank you.
Not arguing the point either, but Porsche 99x/98x transmission also must be a transaxle, making it a very special beast.

pete
Old 09-06-2013, 02:55 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stout

Not arguing the point either, but Porsche 99x/98x transmission also must be a transaxle, making it a very special beast.

pete
I guess that is why they chose not to offer it anymore...
Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

I guess that is why they chose not to offer it anymore...
C'mon, this is a Porsche GT3, not a Subaru SVX...
Old 09-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
ABS is irrelevant. This is not all or nothing. There are various flavors of what people prefer. And nothing wrong with wanting abs and a manual. No need to defend that nonsense. From any standpoint.

There are professional race cars with abs and using the flawed pdk logic , if its similar to race cars, meaning sequential, it must be better.
The most common complaint about PDK is that the computer is "doing it for you." With ABS and threshold braking without skidding, the computer is "doing it for you." I'm not sure why that is so hard to grasp.

Maybe the subtlety here relates to the Pete's point about changing the control mechanism. In a true mechanical sense, ABS is MORE sophisticated than PDK because it is doing something a human being cannot do - namely individually pulsing each front and both rear brakes at the verge of lockup.
PDK is just taking over pushing in and letting out the clutch and rev matching on downshifts.

So maybe we could parse this like so: 1) you don't get upset when the computer does something a human being is physically incapable of doing and 2) you do get upset when the computer replaces something you ARE capable of doing yourself (even if you can't do it as well).
Old 09-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
Collateral damage. Nothing more.
I'm sure that's what the car guys in Detroit told the acccountants when customers started to look elsewhere. It took a number of years but hubris, greed, and regulatorry change ultimately brought them to their knees.

I hope, and don't believe, this will happen to Porsche but I don't see how you put a positive spin on turning your back on a customer base you've worked years to develop.

Quick Reply: Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs