Sponsored by:

Sport Bucket Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:39 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
The 918 seat is beautiful (for the 918) but 2 fixed buckets (no folding) is not ideal in a 911.
Just put the club sport roll bar in and be happy!

Ryan
Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Roll Bar is going in immediately but I still want access to that area to transport things, mount cameras, clean the rear window? Hopefully there is a folding version coming.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:47 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Roll Bar is going in immediately but I still want access to that area to transport things, mount cameras, clean the rear window? Hopefully there is a folding version coming.
I can see how the folding seats would be good, I have the GT2 ones in my Cayman R, but my Spec Miata has fixed aluminum seats and I manage. I want to be able to work on left foot braking with the GT3 so I need harnesses and appropriate seats.

If the sport buckets become an option for my 2014 Q2 allocation I'll definitely jump on it, but if not for track time either my GT2 seats are going in or I'm buying some dedicated track seats.

Ryan
Old 11-15-2013, 10:00 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by reidry
I can see how the folding seats would be good, I have the GT2 ones in my Cayman R, but my Spec Miata has fixed aluminum seats and I manage. I want to be able to work on left foot braking with the GT3 so I need harnesses and appropriate seats.

If the sport buckets become an option for my 2014 Q2 allocation I'll definitely jump on it, but if not for track time either my GT2 seats are going in or I'm buying some dedicated track seats.

Ryan

Yeah, I’m with ya. I wish the 997 buckets were available here like ROW – love those seats, such a good balance for street & track use. I have a Recaro bucket I bought this year that I will likely use for starters (driver side only) but getting in & out is a pain for the street – I might try just swapping it in for trackdays and use the regular sport seat day-to-day.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:15 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I’m with ya. I wish the 997 buckets were available here like ROW – love those seats, such a good balance for street & track use. I have a Recaro bucket I bought this year that I will likely use for starters (driver side only) but getting in & out is a pain for the street – I might try just swapping it in for trackdays and use the regular sport seat day-to-day.
Something to note, but could be different in your neck of the woods.

The SCCA and NASA are starting to add more rules that pertain to safety configuration for DE cars. The SCCA is using rules from Time Trials for their newish PDX program, similar to NASA HPDE. In the last two years they've added a rule that says the harness configuration for Driver and Passenger must be the same and it specifically states if the Driver is in a 5/6 pt harness the passenger must also be in a 5/6 point harness.

So for those that need instructors or want in car coaching it seems a pair of track seats will be in order.

Personally I put safety above everything and provide my passenger with equivalent seat and in-date harnesses.

Ryan
Old 11-15-2013, 10:45 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The 918 seat is beautiful (for the 918) but 2 fixed buckets (no folding) is not ideal in a 911.
Based on the drawing, I can see why you'd think the seat backs are fixed. However, take a look at the PET diagram. Parts 2 and 3 are labelled 'traction noose'. What is it for? In the GT2 seats, they were for releasing the lock and folding the seat back forward.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:15 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Yeah, same rules here (at some tracks) - I very rarely have a passenger on-track, but on those occasions we both just use the regular belts. I actually removed my passenger seat completely for a while last year

Having both seats harnessed would obviously be ideal – If I can find 2 folding buckets I like then I will probably upgrade and go that route.

Joe - I hope you are right (and if so, that it doesn’t cost a small fortune to buy a pair of those bad boys).
Old 11-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Based on the drawing, I can see why you'd think the seat backs are fixed. However, take a look at the PET diagram. Parts 2 and 3 are labelled 'traction noose'. What is it for? In the GT2 seats, they were for releasing the lock and folding the seat back forward.
Joe, look at that brace between the lower part of the seat and the seat back. If the seat back were to fold that piece would have to retract into or slide past the seat in some way which seems very unlikely, if not impossible based on what we can see in the drawing. No, that part is fixed IMHO, which means the seatback is too, just like in the 918.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2013, 02:21 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Joe, look at that brace between the lower part of the seat and the seat back. If the seat back were to fold that piece would have to retract into or slide past the seat in some way which seems very unlikely, if not impossible based on what we can see in the drawing. No, that part is fixed IMHO, which means the seatback is too, just like in the 918.
I know what you're saying, but the question remains what the traction noose is for?

Fixed or not, makes no difference to me. I'm getting those seats
Old 11-15-2013, 02:37 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Mike,

Alternatively, the whole seat could kind-of flip forward pivoting at the front. So the noose could be to release a catch at the back of the seat that allows that type of action.

Ryan
Old 11-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I know what you're saying, but the question remains what the traction noose is for?
Originally Posted by reidry
Mike,

Alternatively, the whole seat could kind-of flip forward pivoting at the front. So the noose could be to release a catch at the back of the seat that allows that type of action.

Ryan
Ok, good point, that's possible......
Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

From the porsche.com website regarding the 918 buckets:
  • Full bucket, motorsport derived, unhinged seats made of carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP)
  • Headrests and airbags integrated into seats in order to keep weight as low as possible
  • Low seat surface i.c.w. low mounting position fit with the vehicle's extremely low center of gravity
  • Manual fore/aft adjustment for both driver and passenger seats
  • Electric seat height adjustment (N/A - manual or electric for passenger seat) i.c.w. manual steering wheel adjustment enable greater flexibility of seat position - for both larger and smaller drivers

There is no 'traction noose' visible. So perhaps the seat will pivot forward in the 991?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Can't pivot forward.. Would touch the roof. There is a lot of wishful thinking going on here while seemingly ignoring common sense and reality. I love it.. Like kids arguing to justify santa claus's existence. :-)
Old 11-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Hmmm......maybe it's a release that allows the seat to move even further forward on the track. Or maybe the pull strap is a leftover from another diagram.....
Old 11-15-2013, 10:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Can't pivot forward.. Would touch the roof. There is a lot of wishful thinking going on here while seemingly ignoring common sense and reality. I love it.. Like kids arguing to justify santa claus's existence. :-)
How do you know it would touch the roof if the back folded? Like I said, I don't give a crap if the seats fold forward or not. I'm getting them regardless, but there is some evidence that suggests it might. How are you so damn sure it won't? The GT2 seats folded forward, and ROW seats fold forward. What are you seeing that is common sense? Enlighten me.

Given these new buckets will be options on the 981 and 991 eventually, I'm betting they will fold somehow. That traction loop is a smoking gun.

Quick Reply: Sport Bucket Seats?