Sponsored by:

Sport Bucket Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 10:59 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Haha--thanks for the clarification. Perhaps I used the wrong wording ("dent"). Let me reword. Are you saying that a clear bra cannot be marred by road debris?
A clear bra greatly reduces the chance of damage to the paint beneath... Ultimately it comes down to the size and shape of the debris hitting the car. It is a sacrificial barrier and works great IMO...

I've had stones large enough hit the car that I was certain would have chipped the paint beneath too... When the film was removed and replaced, no damage was found. If the car is going to see country roads or tracks regularly, clear bra is a must... Cheaper to get high wear areas re-filmed as opposed to the cost of respraying and associated devaluing of the vehicle... Just my 2 cents
Old 12-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Had the clear bra on two cars and though yellowing wasn't an issue the bra did get nicked and the marks are permanent. My last car a white 997.2 TT Cab. I went naked and after 18 months very few barely noticeable marks on the front end. I will NOT do a bra on the GT3.

Then again, I am not as **** as some are about their cars.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Had the clear bra on two cars and though yellowing wasn't an issue the bra did get nicked and the marks are permanent. My last car a white 997.2 TT Cab. I went naked and after 18 months very few barely noticeable marks on the front end. I will NOT do a bra on the GT3.

Then again, I am not as **** as some are about their cars.
Xpel can self heal, unless the material gets torn. 3M does not.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Did i hear that there is a 3M spray now which works to protect the paint, easier to apply and cheaper than film?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:58 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
A clear bra greatly reduces the chance of damage to the paint beneath... Ultimately it comes down to the size and shape of the debris hitting the car. It is a sacrificial barrier and works great IMO...

I've had stones large enough hit the car that I was certain would have chipped the paint beneath too... When the film was removed and replaced, no damage was found. If the car is going to see country roads or tracks regularly, clear bra is a must... Cheaper to get high wear areas re-filmed as opposed to the cost of respraying and associated devaluing of the vehicle... Just my 2 cents
+1. It like a condom. Yea **** can still happen, but it greatly reduces the chances.

It also has other advantages - no more tree sap and bird **** stains on the paint. No more swirl marks on the paint either while washing/drying/putting on and off the cover - you have so much more margin for error. I first got the front half of the car done and was so happy did almost the entire car (everything except the rear quarter). Just make sure you get a good installer and you won't even know it is there.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
That's all? You & your passenger don't need no stinking seat airbags...except when you run into that unexpected crash! Then the 'thorax' of both occupants might not like it so much, since the engineers designed crash protection of the cabin to include working airbags on the seats. The thorax is that portion of your body, between your neck & abdomen, that includes the ribs, dorsal vertebrae and internal cavity with major organs like your heart & lungs. But other than that, it's nice to know the gt2 seats on a 981 & 991 are mostly 'functional' and move/glide nicely back & forth.

Hope nothing bad ever happens because, in our current litigious environment, a smart lawyer would have a field day with injuries (e.g. your passenger) arising from such alteration to the safety 'equipment' of your vehicle.

Saludos,
Eduardo

Originally Posted by KBS911
Why so bitter, doctor? Only the drivers side seat airbag did not work. I only installed a single seat. All other air bags were functional. The addition of a roll/harness bar and 6 point harness with HANS provide additional safety value and one could argue if you are better off on the track with or without a harness and HANS versus just the air bags on the track with the new GT3, or any other tracked car for that matter. Are you adverse to anyone tracking their cars without harness and HANS. Better keep that new GT3 on the street then. Makes you wonder how we all got by over the past few decades without seat airbags.

Regards
My sincere apologies, KBS911. I indeed sounded like a bitter clinger, hanging on to my guns, religion...and thorax airbags! I am partially off the soap box now. The truth is that my frustration lies with Porsche and their inability to have anticipated the apparent change in US regulations so that they could have engineered a sport bucket seat (w. airbags) that could have been offered no only in the MY2014 991 gt3, but as an option in every 991 (since MY2012) & 981 (since MY2013)!

The point I was trying to make is simply questioning the wisdom of risking injury or life by not having a functional seat airbag in normal street driving (not at the track) on your modern Porsche, which is engineered to have one. At the track, the risk can be mitigated by the safety add-ons you mentioned.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2013, 04:12 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Did i hear that there is a 3M spray now which works to protect the paint, easier to apply and cheaper than film?
Here's a link to a review of the 3M Paint Defender Spray on rennlist.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ay-review.html

[ Apologies to all for perpetuating an off-topic post. ]

Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
There was some discussion about the 3M Paint Defender in another thread here recently and the reviews are very mixed on Amazon. I think I'd be leery of spraying the stuff on any car much less a new Porsche.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-90100-Paint...efender+system
Old 12-31-2013, 07:26 PM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There was some discussion about the 3M Paint Defender in another thread here recently and the reviews are very mixed on Amazon. I think I'd be leery of spraying the stuff on any car much less a new Porsche.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-90100-Paint...efender+system
I'm sure the product is ok. But only in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. You can buy clear bra film too, same stuff the pros use but if for example I were to apply it, I know I'd have dust issues, bubbling, accidental cut marks in the paint, etc. Look at all the crappy window tint jobs out there. Without having practiced using this particular spray product you'll have issues similar to painting a car... dust, uneveness, orange peel look, etc.

Ok, back on topic. I hope the rumors are true that the sport bucket seats coming in for 2015 are a similar design as those used in the 918. Those are hot.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:34 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
My sincere apologies, KBS911. I indeed sounded like a bitter clinger, hanging on to my guns, religion...and thorax airbags! I am partially off the soap box now. The truth is that my frustration lies with Porsche and their inability to have anticipated the apparent change in US regulations so that they could have engineered a sport bucket seat (w. airbags) that could have been offered no only in the MY2014 991 gt3, but as an option in every 991 (since MY2012) & 981 (since MY2013)!

The point I was trying to make is simply questioning the wisdom of risking injury or life by not having a functional seat airbag in normal street driving (not at the track) on your modern Porsche, which is engineered to have one. At the track, the risk can be mitigated by the safety add-ons you mentioned.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Eduardo,
No apologies required. You are correct to think about safety first, so should Porsche. They know full well that these cars are tracked, and should accommodate their customer base. It's good that the seats come out quickly with only 4 bolts. I am anxiously awaiting the new seats. Can't come soon enough.

Regards,

Ken
Old 12-31-2013, 07:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zero911
I'm sure the product is ok. But only in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. You can buy clear bra film too, same stuff the pros use but if for example I were to apply it, I know I'd have dust issues, bubbling, accidental cut marks in the paint, etc. Look at all the crappy window tint jobs out there. Without having practiced using this particular spray product you'll have issues similar to painting a car... dust, uneveness, orange peel look, etc.
Agree, it very well may be ok as a product. Unfortunately for the vast majority of people having the experience to properly apply the product is the most critical part of getting a good result. I have no intention of practicing on my new GT3.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:04 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Sure they can. I've had small rocks (about 1/2" size) cut through the clear bra and gouge the paint. It's not Lexan or Kevlar.
Of course, any object big enough, and/or with enough velocity, etc. could cut through; odds are greatly in favor the bra will protect the paint.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:54 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Agree, it very well may be ok as a product. Unfortunately for the vast majority of people having the experience to properly apply the product is the most critical part of getting a good result. I have no intention of practicing on my new GT3.
^I've used the stuff on the rocker panels of my 991C2S. As a temporary cover for the panels during track days, I find it works great. Just make sure you give it a couple days to cure. I've never left it on for more than a week, so I've found that taking it off is generally also not too much of a hassle. IMHO, it's way better than putting on masking take, or that saran wrap stuff some folks use. It's definitely not a replacement for a proper clear bra.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by shizzle
^I've used the stuff on the rocker panels of my 991C2S. As a temporary cover for the panels during track days, I find it works great. Just make sure you give it a couple days to cure. I've never left it on for more than a week, so I've found that taking it off is generally also not too much of a hassle. IMHO, it's way better than putting on masking take, or that saran wrap stuff some folks use. It's definitely not a replacement for a proper clear bra.
Can see it making sense in that application. I've used painters tape and it's a PITA....
Old 01-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Any word on when the track seats will be available in the US? I may be getting closer to being able to order the car (if I want it, still not sure), but I really need the track seats. Pisses me off so much that the clubsport package isn't available in the US ...

Quick Reply: Sport Bucket Seats?