991 GT3 - 'Shut up and drive' says Porsche GT3 boss

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:12 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
+1 Much ado about.....very little.

This whole issue about a paltry 70-80 lbs ( the majority of which will be mitigated once lighter seats and battery are available) is silly in another context. How many new near 500HP production sports cars, from any manufacturer, weigh significantly less than the 991 GT3's 3153 lbs? The C7 Stingray hopes to match the outgoing C6 at 3311lbs. The SRT Viper is 3356 lbs. The new Z28, 3700+. 458 Italia 3400. McLaren MP4-12C 3270. Vantage V12 3700. It's not easy (or cheap) to get a modern, streetable, big horsepower car under 3100 lbs in today's regulatory environment.

On second thought......much ado about......nothing.
I'd have to agree. The C7 weight is 3300 lbs. When the track stuff gets added to the base it will be slightly more weight added.

I think we all hoped the GT3 would have been lighter then the out going GT3 but they decided to go the route of adding technology to it rather offering a lighter manual version and all this comes with weight. With the wheel/tire and brake sizes, longer wider platform how could it ever lose any weight. 3150 lbs is a good weight considering the technology added and size of this new model.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I think we all hoped the GT3 would have been lighter then the out going GT3 but they decided to go the route of adding technology to it rather offering a lighter manual version and all this comes with weight. With the wheel/tire and brake sizes, longer wider platform how could it ever lose any weight. 3150 lbs is a good weight considering the technology added and size of this new model.
That's fair....
Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Added weight not likely noticeable. Just previously pointing out that the car is not lighter than its predecessor.

Added performance very likely, very noticeable, which will make for my faster lap times to the grocery store and C & C events.

4WS, PDK and 20" wheels/tires made up most of this weight.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:39 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I'd have to agree. The C7 weight is 3300 lbs. When the track stuff gets added to the base it will be slightly more weight added.

Problem is that the market for the car you describe is very very small. Its a tiny niche between 'normals' who will buy a PDK C2S/GT3/turbo/whatever and serious racers who will buy a Cup car and trailer.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The already extensive use of aluminum panels (hood, engine cover, doors, roof) in the base 991's have made it harder to achieve weight improvements with the 991 GT3, which I suspect is one reason why their weights are closer together. Even so, the difference in curb weight between a PDK 991 Carrera S and a 991 GT3 is a mere 33lbs and the GT3 is a hell of a lot more powerful and capable car in a wider package.

If people are really mad about not having bragging rights at C&C (good one ), as opposed to a weight difference one can actually feel or measure, I suspect anger management issues....
These are excellent points. The 991S moved the game on considerably and the 991 Gt3 had a hard task to beat that weight. It was like the 996.1 GT3 (the first GT3) in 1999. That was 30kg heavier than the standard carrera it was based on (but no one complained).

The bar is set even higher for the 991 GT3 RS. Assuming its stock with PDK-S & 4WS (a given I should think) then apart from lighter weight seats being available by then I think they will be fighting hard to find 70-80lb to remove. Maybe thinner glass, composite roof and fenders but if it comes standard with a half cage then all of those benefits will be null. I gets the could scrape a few lbs from teh wheels somehow and a lighter exhaust, maybe 20lb in interior appointments/carpet but even composite panels are saving relatively little over the aluminium used in the 991 GT3. My best guess is we will see no more than a 50kg difference for the RS (and there needs to be one as Im sure it will be 30-40k usd more expensive).
Old 05-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
My best guess is we will see no more than a 50kg difference for the RS (and there needs to be one as Im sure it will be 30-40k usd more expensive).
Not a chance of seeing anything close to 50kg savings on current VW trajectory.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,081 Likes on 2,864 Posts

It was like the 996.1 GT3 (the first GT3) in 1999. That was 30kg heavier than the standard carrera it was based on (but no one complained).
That's because the GT3 then included the heavier (and much better performing and enduring) motorsport engine and gearbox, compared to the 996.1 Carrera's, which is now considered to be among the least track-worthy of any with a Porsche inscription.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Not a chance of seeing anything close to 50kg savings on current VW trajectory.
Yeah. I suspect you are right. Best we can hope for is probably 35kg...

Grant. Yes you are partly right. The wheels were also quite heavy (Sport Design). The project focus wasn't weight like with the predessor 993RS & 964RS (100kg savings approx a piece of factory base model).

With the new 996 GT3 Platform they leapt 60 bhp over the 993RS, small increased torque with a new and improved chassis and almost 1000 more rpm to the limiter.

I many ways sounds like the paragdign shift with the 991 GT3 IMHO. 35kg up but new chassis platform, 50 bhp more (realistically), 4WS & PDK.

The 1999 GT3 was a god bit quicker (2-3 sec+) around a 2 mile track than the outgoing 993RS and much easier to get quick times down......sound familiar....?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,081 Likes on 2,864 Posts

Grant. Yes you are partly right. The wheels were also quite heavy (Sport Design)
Agreed - those were boat anchors, but strong ones...
Old 05-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Agreed. The 993RS also had heavy but strong wheels. Something to be said for that tho. Lots of the latest lightweight wheels I have found get bent inside rims when running doses of negative camber on tarmac rally (potholes) and track (shoulders)...
Old 05-13-2013, 04:09 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Mojo

Q: Can you explain the ‘Neutral’ function built into the paddle shifters? Can we use it like a clutch kick?

A: That’s easy. If you pull both paddles towards you, it’s the same as if in a manual you press the clutch with your foot. And you can do that at any time, middle of a corner. That’s why we did it because in the middle of a corner when you want to initiate a drift you can use the jolt it gives when you let go of the clutch. You have to disengage the traction control stuff and then it comes exactly like a SNAP.

Or, if you have all the systems engaged, and you just want to make all your rear wheels load free this is good too. Just imagine you’re coming down a wet street, you’re too fast which can happen, and there’s a curve and there’s a big puddle of water standing there. Not good. So, what do you do? Normally, when I encounter a problem like that I press the clutch. Why? I want the rear wheel to be free of any overrun or traction influence to have the maximum potential of the tire for building up side forces. And that’s what you do simply by pressing the paddles.

It gives you more freedom, There’s additional man-machine interface. There’s no automatic upshifts in manual mode either. If you hit the rev limiter, you hit the rev limiter.
^ Doesn't AP mean: "if the computer hits the rev limiter for you it hits the rev limiter for you"

Man he almost had me thinking this wasn't an automatic Porsche. Sneaky words.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
^ Doesn't AP mean: "if the computer hits the rev limiter for you it hits the rev limiter for you"

Man he almost had me thinking this wasn't an automatic Porsche. Sneaky words.
I don't understand your point. A computer isn't stepping on the throttle, the driver is. In manual mode, PDK-S won't upshift until the driver choose to do so manually. If you don't shift, the engine will bounce off the rev limiter exactly as if you were in a MT car.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't understand your point. A computer isn't stepping on the throttle, the driver is. In manual mode, PDK-S won't upshift until the driver choose to do so manually. If you don't shift, the engine will bounce off the rev limiter exactly as if you were in a MT car.
If you press the throttle into the kick down button PDK no matter what mode will upshift at red line....but you really have to press this or like you say it will bounce off the rev limiter.

I truely get what people are saying about the involving drive of a manual...it's not the actual gear selector part as much as it is the challenge of perfect rev matches on the track. That is where I believe the thrill is. If people can get past that they will find PDK to be ultra reliable and driving the car can still be fun. It is head games, really.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I'm the opposite, manual = more fun on street at sane, legal speeds. I will miss the clutch modulation you get to do with a traditional box.

I 'get' the PDK for hard charging on a back country road or track, where you get to better focus on your line, braking etc etc.

Not sure if that makes sense.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

May be he is talking about the lack of the "money shift" feature in PDK.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 - 'Shut up and drive' says Porsche GT3 boss