Sponsored by:

991 GT3 - 'Shut up and drive' says Porsche GT3 boss

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado

For what it is - the V8 Vantage is destined to be a classic car. As the little kid from the Porsche commercial who's always wanted a 911 and finally reached the point in my life where I can afford them - I've come to the sad realization that Porsche no longer makes the cars I fell in love with. I don't think I'm alone in this realization.
Meh. To each his own. The Vantage V8 will be as desirable and will depreciate like a. . . like an Aston. Ford hybrid with more show than go IMO. Didn't find it compelling. Kind of 991 ish.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I doubt VW cares.
Crap! I forgot they were all part of one big happy family now.
I wanted to type Fe. . ., I mean Fer. . .

Nope, it's not bad enough where I can even type the F-word.
McLaren it is.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I may take AP's advise - shut up and drive; right over to the Audi dealer.
Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I doubt VW cares.

Guys, I do want to point something out: that quote is taken highly out of context.

Preuninger said "shut up and drive" to one particular auto journalist in question (and not one who's particularly liked by some automakers), NOT to Porsche owners in general - current or prospective. He never said "shut up and (just) drive it" to people who are thinking about the 991 GT3; just to the article's author when he began needling AP with tough questions right before the test drive as they both got in the car.

After reading hundreds of posts in this forum (not by Bill or Steve) where people tore AP, Porsche, and the 991 GT3 (or "GT3" ) 4 new ******** without even having all the facts (sport buckets) or having test driven one, I can't say I'd blame AP even if he'd meant the comment to people in general!!

As far as some questioning whether Apple or anyone should/would ever make such a comment, don't you guys remember what Steve Jobs said when the iPhones were having reception issues? He basically chastised someone to learn to hold it better (so that it receives better reception).
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Crap! I forgot they were all part of one big happy family now.
I wanted to type Fe. . ., I mean Fer. . .

Nope, it's not bad enough where I can even type the F-word.
McLaren it is.
Yup, Audi, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche... soon every (ex-)sports car will be VW.

You should try a vintage Ferrari. The fun is there, they aren't making anymore and they don't lose value.

Originally Posted by the_vetman

Guys, I do want to point something out: that quote is taken highly out of context.

Preuninger said "shut up and drive" to one particular auto journalist in question (and not one who's particularly liked by some automakers), NOT to Porsche owners in general - current or prospective. He never said "shut up and (just) drive it" to people who are thinking about the 991 GT3; just to the article's author when he began needling AP with tough questions right before the test drive as they both got in the car.

After reading hundreds of posts in this forum (not by Bill or Steve) where people tore AP, Porsche, and the 991 GT3 (or "GT3" ) 4 new ******** without even having all the facts (sport buckets) or having test driven one, I can't say I'd blame AP even if he'd meant the comment to people in general!!

As far as some questioning whether Apple or anyone should/would ever make such a comment, don't you guys remember what Steve Jobs said when the iPhones were having reception issues? He basically chastised someone to learn to hold it better (so that it receives better reception).
The context didn't escape me, Vetman; I concluded, as you suggest, that he meant the comment for me, too.

I've made my points/issues/concerns clear in the past, and at this point, I follow this forum primarily for information on the engine which I'm guessing will drop into my CR... and to help answer questions about our 'luddite' positions.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,380 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
If Preuninger really believes that everyone that bought the prior GT3 is happy then he has his head buried in a deep, dark place.

Faulty coolant lines, detonating clutches, bait-and switch center-lock maintenance schedules, voided track coverage. Yeah, we're happy.

AFAIK this statement is an insult to current 997 GT3 owners.

I say man up and stand behind the stuff you sell or SHUT UP. Back to your blah, blah, bloop Andreas.
+1 million.

AP is a colossal douche with a horrible attitude.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
+1 million.

AP is a colossal douche with a horrible attitude.
Yep.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

What I really REALLY want to know is if VW, I mean Porsche will offer a pot plant option for the dash of the GT3 as they do for the VW Beetle? Maybe AP can shed some light? lol.... They can use it as a G-meter by making the stem flexible...
Old 05-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Now having seen what they have done with the 991TT Im feeling much better about the 991 GT3. Look at the ugly rear on this thing...PDK only (not the GT3 PDK I believe) engine unknown but most likely not the 991 GT3 DFI unit, not as much horse power as expected, 2 turbos (nothing changed there) and this time only 0.3 seconds quicker than a GT3 to 100. Claiming same time range as GT3 on Ring ffor the 991 TTS (I think the GT3 will in reality be quicker).
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2013, 05:56 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Now having seen what they have done with the 991TT Im feeling much better about the 991 GT3. Look at the ugly rear on this thing...PDK only (not the GT3 PDK I believe) engine unknown but most likely not the 991 GT3 DFI unit, not as much horse power as expected, 2 turbos (nothing changed there) and this time only 0.3 seconds quicker than a GT3 to 100. Claiming same time range as GT3 on Ring ffor the 991 TTS (I think the GT3 will in reality be quicker).
GT3 is a much better looking car. That to me is ugly and looks really wierd and big.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:15 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Gremans have a mouth, but no ears IMO.
Hey just like Americans!
Old 05-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Look at the ugly rear on this thing...
No comparison to the best **** Porsche ever made
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey, I told that dude already to cool it on the "race" issue. Mr. Andy "Prune" might be a "douche" (I just think he's lost his way a little :-) but no reason whatsoever to bring a whole nation's character into this. I wear Lederhosen, eat Sauerkraut, and drink Weizenbier and and have ears to listen...
Old 05-05-2013, 06:07 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Horstair
Hey, I told that dude already to cool it on the "race" issue. Mr. Andy "Prune" might be a "douche" (I just think he's lost his way a little :-) but no reason whatsoever to bring a whole nation's character into this. I wear Lederhosen, eat Sauerkraut, and drink Weizenbier and and have ears to listen...
Hey Horst, no point in wasting time or energy on the skeptics or worse, the lowest common denominators that want to make business into something personal. By this time next year I'd wager there will be way more present day doubters doing an about face than not. I can only get half way through these strings without my eyes starting to water. Am I wrong or has NO ONE driven any of these cars yet?!?

BTW, thanks again for the pic's you and Ethel sent. My little project over here is coming along nicely thanks to them....
Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zanwar
The V8 Vantage feels like a sports car. I drove one at the weekend and was very taken with it.
Test drove the V12 Vantage yesterday. It is unashamedly old school...take one absolutely, magnificent, screaming 6.0 liter V12 and cajole it into a chassis the size of a 991....use a chunky 6 spd manual well matched to a mountain of torque...fettle the chassis for communication...and position the driver to merge with the metal...suffice you can quite literally "put this car on'.

Granted you'll need to ignore the out dated electronics and haphazardly placed switchgear..but honestly if that is of concern..then this machine is not for you...

The Beast (and yes Eric Bana might well relate) speaks to you constantly..rather like the car to which comparison is oft muttered on this side of the pond...(que GT3....)

Immersive. Visceral. Engaging. Tactile. Aurally bewitching.

True the V12v is grossly overpriced at list....but unless you order....there's a minimum 30% discount pretty much off the floor plan, at least on this windy Isle. Further, production of the V12 V has concluded....so the depreciation ride might well leaven.

Still the weight (1650 odd kilos) works against taking GT3 comparisons too far...but still the Aston presents a fetching alternate...the immersion led me not to dismiss ...and it might well prove a stopgap until the 991 GT3 rocks up.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:34 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Originally Posted by zanwar
The V8 Vantage feels like a sports car. I drove one at the weekend and was very taken with it.
Test drove the V12 Vantage yesterday. It is unashamedly old school...take one absolutely, magnificent, screaming 6.0 liter V12 and cajole it into a chassis the size of a 991....use a chunky 6 spd manual well matched to a mountain of torque...fettle the chassis for communication...and position the driver to merge with the metal...suffice you can quite literally "put this car on'.

Granted you'll need to ignore the out dated electronics and haphazardly placed switchgear..but honestly if that is of concern..then this machine is not for you...

The Beast (and yes Eric Bana might well relate) speaks to you constantly..rather like the car to which comparison is oft muttered on this side of the pond...(que GT3....)

Immersive. Visceral. Engaging. Tactile. Aurally bewitching.

True the V12v is grossly overpriced at list....but unless you order....there's a minimum 30% discount pretty much off the floor plan, at least on this windy Isle. Further, production of the V12 V has concluded....so the depreciation ride might well leaven.

Still the weight (1650 odd kilos) works against taking GT3 comparisons too far...but still the Aston presents a fetching alternate...the immersion led me not to dismiss ...and it might well prove a stopgap until the 991 GT3 rocks up.
You've just proved that maybe you are no longer a gt3 buyer like many others on here who still complain - and I'm not trying to be sarcastic here.

We all forget we are getting older and the demographics move on....

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 - 'Shut up and drive' says Porsche GT3 boss