Sponsored by:

The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 02:55 PM
phildub
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by R35driver
it all depends. everyone is different. Having right color and options was more important to me, so i bailed on CPO. It would have been nice but its not a deal breaker for me. I'm of the belief the house always wins with these extended warranties so i don't like paying them. the chance of something catastrophic happening on a street driven GT3 is pretty minimal. same with a modern ferrari.... mclaren is a whole different story, i wouldn't own one without a warranty.

If i do have a $10k bill its gonna suck but who cares. You should at least have $10-20k saved away with a car like this anyway just for emergencies. I'd imagine some of the millionaires here just skip cpo entirely because even if there is a problem with the car it doesn't matter to them. compared to someone who is stretching themselves out to get one and a 10k hit will be hard on them and make the wife angry.

street vs track really just depends on how the car was maintained. i'm sure there are guys who only drive on the street and hit redline before the engine is warmed up to temp, and track guys who are OCD about maintenance and fully inspect their car every few months.

why do cars go so quick ? see above. Some people just have money to burn and there is a big demand with short supply on these cars right now. Some know they can flip rather quick and the risk is pretty low on a low mileage car. You can usually feel out the buyer with a phone call too and see if they know anything about the car or cars in general. You can ask them about warming up the car, break in procedure, DME readouts, if they know anything about the '991.1, 991.2, or upcoming 992' .
big demand, short supply, BUT a soft market means things move fast. this is the softest the .2 GT3 has ever been and people like myself are looking to capitalize on that.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyF1ve (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 03:01 PM
driIve
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I think a lot of the pristine cars (CPO at Porsche Dealer, desirable color/options) are already spoken for before they even arrive at the dealers. I've been checking the listings everyday and a Chalk WP showed up at Carlsbad, I inquired about the car just hours after it was listed and was told it was already on hold for one of their clients. It's like the "waiting list" all over again.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:51 PM
bulldog_YYC
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyF1ve
I hate to keep using your quote, but I had a question regarding miles on these cars. My understanding is that even if tracked... as long as a GT3 is maintained properly, if it was tracked or driven some miles it's probably not a big deal at all (some people swear it makes them drive "better" after tracking)... But either way, I feel like regardless if I pay $150k or $185k for a GT3, I should probably get a CPO on it, correct? From what I understand this is an extremely thorough porsche inspection -with- some sort of extended warranty. And I've seen people here on rennlist explain that the CPO saved them from transmission costs... simply because it was found on this inspection vs a ppi or inspecting it myself. In essence, I feel like getting a CPO or buying a car with a CPO is the best idea in addition to your point of "treat myself" (which I agree with!).

Do you agree? Do the other readers agree? I do NOT want to replace a $10k+ part within the first year of buying. And I'm not a seasoned race driver so I will be slowly warming myself up to this level of performance.
Yes, find a car with CPO. It will be at a premium to a non-CPO car obviously so be prepared for the higher sticker price

The CPO warranty is typically 2 years + unlimited mileage from the time you purchase it. I beleive its similar to the factory warranty but there are likely exclusions, as always. So yes, you might be on the hook to replace a $10k part if you have an issue and its a) not covered by CPO or b) dealer/Porsche deems that the car has been operated outside its warranty parameters or has been abused. Theoretically, this may include track use but I suspect if its a GT car, it should be covered if you have a good relationship with your dealer / are being honest about the issue (e.g. money shift blowing up mechanicals vs. a true transmission issue).
JohnnyF1ve (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 07:37 PM
USAGiles
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 38 Posts

Some of these cars go in 20 minutes, an hour, a day, and I wonder how these people are confident that they can just seal the deal and write $180,000 check in 10 minutes. I feel that that is involved or similar to what you are saying regarding an informed purchase. can you help me understand how somebody can know in 30 minutes that they can sign all this money away without waiting on fancy inspections and stuff? I guess I just want to know because I would hate to lose the perfect car myself.

For me personally, if I find what I consider the perfect car and say it has less than 5,000 miles but it needs new tires, I don't really care I'll put the tires on it. I know they are expensive, but it's better than something like a transmission or something that is beyond wear and tear.

I figure look at the carfax, speak to the seller (although this is not gospel)... But other than that everything I can think about would take me days because I would want to see the car myself, have someone inspect it whether it's CPO or PPI...
The other thing to consider is just like in Real Estate you can write the offer/deal contingent upon a clean DME, review of the service records, a satisfactory PPI...etc. Now the more sought after the car, the less room you have to work with (Real Estate is the same), but if feeling comfortable about a transaction is what you're after, start there. In some cases and with some cars, it just will not matter - some cars are set aside for loyal customers or are sourced.
JohnnyF1ve (12-30-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 08:06 PM
Bruce911_
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldog_YYC
Yes, find a car with CPO. It will be at a premium to a non-CPO car obviously so be prepared for the higher sticker price

The CPO warranty is typically 2 years + unlimited mileage from the time you purchase it. I beleive its similar to the factory warranty but there are likely exclusions, as always. So yes, you might be on the hook to replace a $10k part if you have an issue and its a) not covered by CPO or b) dealer/Porsche deems that the car has been operated outside its warranty parameters or has been abused. Theoretically, this may include track use but I suspect if its a GT car, it should be covered if you have a good relationship with your dealer / are being honest about the issue (e.g. money shift blowing up mechanicals vs. a true transmission issue).
CPO is an extension of the factory warranty and the only exclusions that would apply are the same ones that would apply to the factory warranty. So the car has 6 years of coverage from the in service date instead of 4.
JohnnyF1ve (12-30-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 09:12 PM
Booth9999
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 114 Posts

I hate to keep using your quote, but I had a question regarding miles on these cars. My understanding is that even if tracked... as long as a GT3 is maintained properly, if it was tracked or driven some miles it's probably not a big deal at all (some people swear it makes them drive "better" after tracking)... But either way, I feel like regardless if I pay $150k or $185k for a GT3, I should probably get a CPO on it, correct? From what I understand this is an extremely thorough porsche inspection -with- some sort of extended warranty. And I've seen people here on rennlist explain that the CPO saved them from transmission costs... simply because it was found on this inspection vs a ppi or inspecting it myself. In essence, I feel like getting a CPO or buying a car with a CPO is the best idea in addition to your point of "treat myself" (which I agree with!).

Do you agree? Do the other readers agree? I do NOT want to replace a $10k+ part within the first year of buying. And I'm not a seasoned race driver so I will be slowly warming myself up to this level of performance.
I was able to by a 3yr 36k mile warranty from Fidelity for like $2000. Have them run the vin and see if it is available if the car isn’t CPO.
JohnnyF1ve (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 03:28 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

wow..listings have dried up!
Old 12-30-2020, 03:42 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

There’s over 35 cars for sale ......all trades don’t go to Porsche when trading for another brand. Several sitting at Mclaren and 1 I saw at a Lambo dealer. Some decent specs out there for those interested.
JohnnyF1ve (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 03:44 PM
C Alexander
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have to imagine the market will saturate a bit when the 992 becomes available..
The following 2 users liked this post by C Alexander:
isellpower (01-04-2021), JohnnyF1ve (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 03:45 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

https://www.charlottemclaren.com/201...gt3-c-1034.htm
JohnnyF1ve (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 03:53 PM
EmpireGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Car seems like a deal at that price. I imagine if it wasn't Orange they would have sold it long ago. It has been sitting on there lot for a while.. Price has been adjusted a few times
JohnnyF1ve (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 03:55 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by EmpireGT3
Car seems like a deal at that price. I imagine if it wasn't Orange they would have sold it long ago. It has been sitting on there lot for a while.. Price has been adjusted a few times
best deals can be had at non-brand dealerships I find, someone traded up and possibly took a bath on the trade while the dealer is playing with house money.
JohnnyF1ve (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 04:16 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by EmpireGT3
Strange, I assumed that color would make the car worth more. Really nice spec IMO.
JohnnyF1ve (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 04:33 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
Strange, I assumed that color would make the car worth more. Really nice spec IMO.
nice spec for sure ....I think lava orange people got tired of it sort of like lizard green. Launch colors are cool, but they’re all over. I like both colors, but can grow old if your primary car.

Last edited by Maverick787; 12-30-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:13 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 258 Posts

Haha, 3rd time that L.O. has made this thread. I've seen the car in person while looking at their 675LT.... exterior looks great.

Agree that it's probably the best deal on any 991.2 GT3, especially if L.O. is a color they like.

Quick Reply: The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...