tgmarks
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atlrvr
https://www.porschestlouis.com/used-...AC2A9XJS175995

Chalk GT3 Touring w/ 4,200 miles
Ask - $199,984
VIN - WP0AC2A9XJS175995

Seems nicely specced with all the good stuff.
I called on this one... it sold within 20 minutes of listing... market is crazy at the moment
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 09:21 PM
USAGiles
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tgmarks
I called on this one... it sold within 20 minutes of listing... market is crazy at the moment
WOW! The market is intense.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:21 PM
Bruce911_
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 248 Posts

And the ask was 20k over MSRP
Old 12-29-2020, 01:59 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,193 Likes on 575 Posts

Wow, that is pretty amazing. I think there are several factors at play here, in terms of why the Tourings are selling at a premium and so quickly. I disagree with those who think the 991.2 Touring values are going to drop when the 992 Touring is released, but time will tell.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:54 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

In response to MOOTY....

I'm a Richard. I used to hate the name Dick. Now I embrace it fully. SO DO THE LADI.... my wife just looked over my shoulder and slapped me.

Last edited by neoprufrok; 12-29-2020 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Forgot to include quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:00 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Wow, that is pretty amazing. I think there are several factors at play here, in terms of why the Tourings are selling at a premium and so quickly. I disagree with those who think the 991.2 Touring values are going to drop when the 992 Touring is released, but time will tell.
I don't know. Look what happened to the 991.1 RS when the 991.2 RS came out - values dropped. Especially if the 992 Touring is built in higher volume - which I suspect it will be. That said, I honestly don't care. I drive mine daily to work and from the Bay to LA about once a month - have put on 3k miles in the 3 months I've owned it - so value means less to me - but I understand why people get concerned.
The following 2 users liked this post by neoprufrok:
GT3toRS (12-29-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 09:37 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,193 Likes on 575 Posts

Like you, I bought it to drive it. I'm up to 9,500 miles after a 750 mile trip from LA to Carmel and back this weekend.
Booth9999 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 10:03 AM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Received 404 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by R35driver
Tourings are probably the best investment if you want a GT3. They routinely go for over MSRP. Is it worth it ? only time will tell.

there can be huge swings in price based on options. sometimes more than the options themselves cost. For example a car not specced with buckets might sell for 10k more than an identical car without buckets. Even though the option is 5k. Because the cost to add them later is very high (low supply, big demand).

My piece of advice is to wait until your perfect spec comes along and snag it before someone else does. you might overpay a little but you are the one staring at it in the garage everyday. that feeling of getting a 'deal' on a car or saving 10k wears off soon. And you're left staring at a car thats not 100% what you want. If you aren't picky with colors, brakes, or seats then there is plenty of room to haggle though.
I hate to keep using your quote, but I had a question regarding miles on these cars. My understanding is that even if tracked... as long as a GT3 is maintained properly, if it was tracked or driven some miles it's probably not a big deal at all (some people swear it makes them drive "better" after tracking)... But either way, I feel like regardless if I pay $150k or $185k for a GT3, I should probably get a CPO on it, correct? From what I understand this is an extremely thorough porsche inspection -with- some sort of extended warranty. And I've seen people here on rennlist explain that the CPO saved them from transmission costs... simply because it was found on this inspection vs a ppi or inspecting it myself. In essence, I feel like getting a CPO or buying a car with a CPO is the best idea in addition to your point of "treat myself" (which I agree with!).

Do you agree? Do the other readers agree? I do NOT want to replace a $10k+ part within the first year of buying. And I'm not a seasoned race driver so I will be slowly warming myself up to this level of performance.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:04 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

^It's insurance, simple as that- it's worth is the value of your peace of mind. 991.2 models are still under warranty, and CPO just extends it, so factor that in. One point to make though is that for cars obviously modified for the track, a CPO will help you should warranty repairs be needed later.

Last edited by montoya; 12-29-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:24 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyF1ve
I hate to keep using your quote, but I had a question regarding miles on these cars. My understanding is that even if tracked... as long as a GT3 is maintained properly, if it was tracked or driven some miles it's probably not a big deal at all (some people swear it makes them drive "better" after tracking)... But either way, I feel like regardless if I pay $150k or $185k for a GT3, I should probably get a CPO on it, correct? From what I understand this is an extremely thorough porsche inspection -with- some sort of extended warranty. And I've seen people here on rennlist explain that the CPO saved them from transmission costs... simply because it was found on this inspection vs a ppi or inspecting it myself. In essence, I feel like getting a CPO or buying a car with a CPO is the best idea in addition to your point of "treat myself" (which I agree with!).

Do you agree? Do the other readers agree? I do NOT want to replace a $10k+ part within the first year of buying. And I'm not a seasoned race driver so I will be slowly warming myself up to this level of performance.
Getting a CPO is worth $5-15k for me, and on my priority list. The only non-CPO car I’d consider is a unicorn like the single owner private sale PTS Voodoo car listed a page or two ago.
JohnnyF1ve (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 12:12 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 403 Posts

Tracking a vehicle doesn't make it drive better. However, if you're referring to the person learning how to better understand the limits of their car then I agree getting the experience on the track is beneficial. As it relates to the vehicle, I would interpret this more to mean that keeping a GT car in proper operating ranges, e.g. the track environment, is likely healthier for the engine vs. frequent short trips where the oil temperatures do not reach an optimal point. There is a cost obviously for frequent track use, e.g. tires, brakes and the overall accelerated cycle of maintenance required. So, if I were looking pre-owned, the point of whether a car was tracked is less relevant than understanding how the car was maintained. Very few want to jump into a unit that requires immediate costs to bring the vehicle up to date on the consumables. In this regard, the CPO can help if it is checking the tolerances in pad wear, tread depth, suspension, brake fluid condition, etc. I agree having an extended warranty is nice for peace of mind on any car, including a Porsche. I also think it is important for any buyer to understand the annual OEM maintenance intervals and what is traditionally recommended in the various time and mileage service points. Unless someone plans to do this on their own, service can be more than some anticipate each year. I agree CPO and warranty is nice to have, but a better informed purchase for me trumps the CPO.

The following 2 users liked this post by CubsFan1:
bulldog_YYC (12-29-2020), JohnnyF1ve (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 12:49 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Received 404 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
Tracking a vehicle doesn't make it drive better. However, if you're referring to the person learning how to better understand the limits of their car then I agree getting the experience on the track is beneficial. As it relates to the vehicle, I would interpret this more to mean that keeping a GT car in proper operating ranges, e.g. the track environment, is likely healthier for the engine vs. frequent short trips where the oil temperatures do not reach an optimal point. There is a cost obviously for frequent track use, e.g. tires, brakes and the overall accelerated cycle of maintenance required. So, if I were looking pre-owned, the point of whether a car was tracked is less relevant than understanding how the car was maintained. Very few want to jump into a unit that requires immediate costs to bring the vehicle up to date on the consumables. In this regard, the CPO can help if it is checking the tolerances in pad wear, tread depth, suspension, brake fluid condition, etc. I agree having an extended warranty is nice for peace of mind on any car, including a Porsche. I also think it is important for any buyer to understand the annual OEM maintenance intervals and what is traditionally recommended in the various time and mileage service points. Unless someone plans to do this on their own, service can be more than some anticipate each year. I agree CPO and warranty is nice to have, but a better informed purchase for me trumps the CPO.

Some of these cars go in 20 minutes, an hour, a day, and I wonder how these people are confident that they can just seal the deal and write $180,000 check in 10 minutes. I feel that that is involved or similar to what you are saying regarding an informed purchase. can you help me understand how somebody can know in 30 minutes that they can sign all this money away without waiting on fancy inspections and stuff? I guess I just want to know because I would hate to lose the perfect car myself.

For me personally, if I find what I consider the perfect car and say it has less than 5,000 miles but it needs new tires, I don't really care I'll put the tires on it. I know they are expensive, but it's better than something like a transmission or something that is beyond wear and tear.

I figure look at the carfax, speak to the seller (although this is not gospel)... But other than that everything I can think about would take me days because I would want to see the car myself, have someone inspect it whether it's CPO or PPI...
Old 12-29-2020, 01:12 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 403 Posts

Some of these cars go in 20 minutes, an hour, a day, and I wonder how these people are confident that they can just seal the deal and write $180,000 check in 10 minutes. I feel that that is involved or similar to what you are saying regarding an informed purchase. can you help me understand how somebody can know in 30 minutes that they can sign all this money away without waiting on fancy inspections and stuff? I guess I just want to know because I would hate to lose the perfect car myself.

For me personally, if I find what I consider the perfect car and say it has less than 5,000 miles but it needs new tires, I don't really care I'll put the tires on it. I know they are expensive, but it's better than something like a transmission or something that is beyond wear and tear.

I figure look at the carfax, speak to the seller (although this is not gospel)... But other than that everything I can think about would take me days because I would want to see the car myself, have someone inspect it whether it's CPO or PPI...
How would someone know in one phone call if it is the car for them? Some of the questions can be answered through experience. For example, who is the seller. Is the unit privately owned or being offered from a dealer. There are folks on here for instance who have a stellar reputation and often move personal cars. Alternatively, a prospective buyer through research should formulate a decent level of knowledge and awareness of the "premier" dealerships. I'm not referring to Porsche's definition, rather the overarching reputation that is earned via selling quality cars over time, e.g. some might put Porsche North Houston, Porsche Colorado Springs, etc in that category. Through your own research you might find from conversations and negotiations who you will do business with. I have walked from deals on cars because of the selling experience. In addition, IMHO, it is important to develop relationships. Even if you don't buy a car you initially have interest in you might find you like the people and can trust them to source one for you. Over time you will understand the market (price, service and sellers) and can make informed decisions. You understand right now for example GT3T are fetching a premium for well equipped low mileage specs. You set your price range, work with a dealer or broker you trust, agree to pay a set fee in some transactions, and find the car for you. Using this example, through your relationship, it should be clearly known and stated exactly what your expectations are and that is what you expect to be buying. There are deals to be had with a little luck, timing and risk. But if you want to close a deal in 20 minutes find a dealer, broker or seller you really trust.
The following 2 users liked this post by CubsFan1:
JohnnyF1ve (12-29-2020), USAGiles (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 01:43 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 258 Posts

I think similar to what @CubsFan1 said, the cars that sell really quick are from either Porsche dealers with CPO (offering theoretical limits on downside) or from sellers with earned reputation for high quality cars.

That said, just focusing on the part of your quote that I bolded. I used to think that same way, but I reconciled it by comparing it to the real estate buying process that I'm far more familiar with. In many places around the country, a desirably amentized house in a hot neighborhood will see multiple bids over asking price in the first day. The number of issues lurking behind the walls/foundation/etc COULD be substantially greater on a % basis of the cost of the house than any GT3 issue short of the engine. Most people when they are in a bidding war on the house are either 1) budgeting a certain unforeseen cost budget, or 2) hoping for the best and making some assessment based on what they can see and any information they can gain about the seller.

When you think of it that way, buying a car quickly is far more rationale than getting into a bidding war on a house especially with some simple precautions (DME for manual cars, and reputation of the seller)....a CPO for $3-$4k really is a simple way of budgeting (and capping) the unforeseen costs, and much more efficient than anything in real estate.
The following 2 users liked this post by atlrvr:
JohnnyF1ve (12-29-2020), USAGiles (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 02:52 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

it all depends. everyone is different. Having right color and options was more important to me, so i bailed on CPO. It would have been nice but its not a deal breaker for me. I'm of the belief the house always wins with these extended warranties so i don't like paying them. the chance of something catastrophic happening on a street driven GT3 is pretty minimal. same with a modern ferrari.... mclaren is a whole different story, i wouldn't own one without a warranty.

If i do have a $10k bill its gonna suck but who cares. You should at least have $10-20k saved away with a car like this anyway just for emergencies. I'd imagine some of the millionaires here just skip cpo entirely because even if there is a problem with the car it doesn't matter to them. compared to someone who is stretching themselves out to get one and a 10k hit will be hard on them and make the wife angry.

street vs track really just depends on how the car was maintained. i'm sure there are guys who only drive on the street and hit redline before the engine is warmed up to temp, and track guys who are OCD about maintenance and fully inspect their car every few months.

why do cars go so quick ? see above. Some people just have money to burn and there is a big demand with short supply on these cars right now. Some know they can flip rather quick and the risk is pretty low on a low mileage car. You can usually feel out the buyer with a phone call too and see if they know anything about the car or cars in general. You can ask them about warming up the car, break in procedure, DME readouts, if they know anything about the '991.1, 991.2, or upcoming 992' .
JohnnyF1ve (12-29-2020)

Quick Reply: The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...