Sponsored by:

The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 12:39 PM
wishman44
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by homesauce
Does anyone have any theories as to why the market is so hot? Is it because people are not a fan of the 992, or is it because they aren’t patient enough for a 992 allocation, inflation, or all the above??
Someone posted this in another thread I believe. A little more focused on exotics but certainly applicable to GT3s.

The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (05-02-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 12:45 PM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

Does anyone have any theories as to why the market is so hot? Is it because people are not a fan of the 992, or is it because they aren’t patient enough for a 992 allocation, inflation, or all the above??
Bunch of theories but who really knows. The market is flooded with cash with stimulus checks, reopened businesses and jobs (unused vacation money?). Everyone is on a buying frenzy. Homes, cars, etc. The chip and new car supply shortage doesn't help, but I don't know if I really buy into this. I've seen plenty of new cars on dealer lots. Used car market is 20-20% overpriced right now. I don't think this has ever happened in history.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:51 PM
CustomPerformanc
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod27
they have another green one.... non-WP for $250k......go for it. This tulip market is nuts..
I have a white .2 with WP. Just kind of wanted silver and was curious what kind of money they wanted on top of a trade to get the silver they had Plus, Mag wheels.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:31 PM
C Alexander
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Great question, I'm concerned that even my peon .1 is underinsured via USAA right now. It's time to look at a stated-value policy via Hagerty or something of the like.
Reading other threads comparing collector car insurers (or agencies, since they often don't underwrite policies themselves) and it really all boils down to restrictions. For starters, you will need to keep the car garaged at all times - so even if you pull the car out for 5 minutes to clean the garage and something happens to it, you may not be covered.

Another question is, where can you drive it? Will you be covered going to cars and coffee? Can you take a weekend drive up somewhere and stay at a hotel? The answers to these are far from straightforward and makes the whole insurance decision quite tricky..
Old 04-30-2021, 02:44 PM
CayenneTTS
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by C Alexander
For starters, you will need to keep the car garaged at all times - so even if you pull the car out for 5 minutes to clean the garage and something happens to it, you may not be covered.

Another question is, where can you drive it? Will you be covered going to cars and coffee? Can you take a weekend drive up somewhere and stay at a hotel? The answers to these are far from straightforward and makes the whole insurance decision quite tricky..
thats the best chuckle ive had in a while.
indigo4298 (05-01-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 08:13 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
PTS Olive Green manual .2 GT3 with 4500 miles. CPO, PCCB, buckets, FAL, LED’s, and full leather with deviated yellow stitching. $189k original MSRP. Asking price is $200k.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1668/overview/

VIN: WP0AC2A9XJS176161

this car is now only $239,900 at Grand Prix Motors in Portland... https://www.grandprimotors.com/used/...ource=cars.com

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 05-01-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:26 AM
Rausky
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 41 Posts

240k for a GT3, what a time to be alive
The following 2 users liked this post by Rausky:
michaeldorian (05-03-2021), whojoemama (05-02-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 11:40 AM
Manhattan_trout
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisFL
I was willing to look at it, but the color is just not what I want my GT3 to be. So tempting with the other options on it, but I'm sure it'll be gone in a few weeks.
What is the premium in your mind for a used 991 GT3 with a desirable PTS color, vs. one without PTS (assuming all else is equal including mileage). I haven't been able to figure out how much extra value PTS adds - clearly a lot in some case, but I agree with you that this magnesium color doesn't look attractive.

Curious because I have a .1 GT3 in PTS Ice Blue that's supposedly the only 1 in NA in the 991 generation and wondering what that premium could be (if any!). These prices are tempting for sure...
Old 05-01-2021, 04:50 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Friend of mine is looking for a 991 Speedster to drive. If you know of one, PM me. Not interested in Heritage.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:35 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

It is definitely not because people are not a fan of the 992.

Used 992s are being sold with a markup above MSRP.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:10 AM
IrwinMFletcher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It is definitely not because people are not a fan of the 992.

Used 992s are being sold with a markup above MSRP.
purely speculation but...

1. 992 supply is lower than normal due to Covid driven reasons - chips etc...
2. 911 demand in general is up due to people having extra money & time
3. buyers can’t get immediate satisfaction with a 992 purchase so they have to look at used, previous generations.

The above creates some interesting pricing dynamics and purchase behavior. If a 992 S with some options costs $140 msrp, then a GT3 can be priced well above that because of its image.

now, your a dealer that doesn’t have any 992s to sell, what are you going to do? You don’t have the volume to make $ by selling sub msrp new 992s like you would in a normal world so you get your hands on as many 991s as you can and push the price up.

Notice how there are what feels like a sudden surge in GT3s and RSs on the market? What could be happening here is that people are getting solid offers from dealers, well above what they would have been offered in normal times, and are taking advantage of it.

Additionally, I bet a lot of dealers are dangling a 992 allocation on the condition of an early trade in of your current GT3.

again, all speculation but...
Old 05-02-2021, 10:37 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by IrwinMFletcher

3. buyers can’t get immediate satisfaction with a 992 purchase so they have to look at used, previous generations.

The above creates some interesting pricing dynamics and purchase behavior. If a 992 S with some options costs $140 msrp, then a GT3 can be priced well above that because of its image.

now, your a dealer that doesn’t have any 992s to sell, what are you going to do? You don’t have the volume to make $ by selling sub msrp new 992s like you would in a normal world so you get your hands on as many 991s as you can and push the price up.

Notice how there are what feels like a sudden surge in GT3s and RSs on the market? What could be happening here is that people are getting solid offers from dealers, well above what they would have been offered in normal times, and are taking advantage of it.

Additionally, I bet a lot of dealers are dangling a 992 allocation on the condition of an early trade in of your current GT3.

again, all speculation but...
Being a seller of one of these cars (the red one over to the left) I can verify that ^^ is directionally if not completely accurate.....my dealer is on the phone with his customers trying to get cars to sell because he can’t get them from the factory....in my case there was no quid pro quo on allocation but there easily could have been...the discussion on allocation predated the discussion on taking my GT3 to market...these are crazy times indeed....
Old 05-02-2021, 10:54 AM
USAGiles
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
PTS Slate Grey Touring with 3800 miles on Pcarmarket. PCCB, 18-way sofas, FAL, LED’s, full leather, and $11k in CXX options. $204k original MSRP.

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...1-gt3-touring/

VIN: WP0AC2A9XJS176712

Sitting at 220K as of this morning.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:58 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 725 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by IrwinMFletcher

My personal speculation is a function of all the above, but with an added element of the dealers and brokers initially driving up the second-hand market just so they can have any activity at all. Can't really have much of a business if there are no widgets to sell. Short answer is supply, but with an added element.

Anecdotally, I would like to think it may have started with a consignment sale of a niche product, like a PTS touring or something of the like. They didn't have to buy it into inventory, but slapped a high asking number to see what would happen and then a domino effect followed. Other brokers followed suit and eventually dealers get into the mix by getting transactions now in promise of future units. This eventually trickled down to private party transactions and other trims.

While not a GT car, I saw it first hand yesterday with a buddy selling a Civic Type R. Posted online and within minutes, an actual Honda Dealer an hour away contacted him and immediately sent a flatbed out to fetch it - no fuss on his high'ish asking price, didn't matter. They need inventory.
michaeldorian (05-02-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 03:15 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
My personal speculation is a function of all the above, but with an added element of the dealers and brokers initially driving up the second-hand market just so they can have any activity at all. Can't really have much of a business if there are no widgets to sell. Short answer is supply, but with an added element.

Anecdotally, I would like to think it may have started with a consignment sale of a niche product, like a PTS touring or something of the like. They didn't have to buy it into inventory, but slapped a high asking number to see what would happen and then a domino effect followed. Other brokers followed suit and eventually dealers get into the mix by getting transactions now in promise of future units. This eventually trickled down to private party transactions and other trims.

While not a GT car, I saw it first hand yesterday with a buddy selling a Civic Type R. Posted online and within minutes, an actual Honda Dealer an hour away contacted him and immediately sent a flatbed out to fetch it - no fuss on his high'ish asking price, didn't matter. They need inventory.
Yup. Dealers / brokers are eating up all inventory and pushing the prices.

Prices being driven up at the wholesale level 1-2% a week.

Last edited by michaeldorian; 05-02-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...