Sponsored by:

Gt3 or Carrera T as a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 01:30 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Yep GT R is pretty dialled in - it will be a blast, noticed you have a 720S too😀 good collection. The 720s is a ripper - went mantis with mine 😀
yes 720 with Pista due to arrive any day now. Add the GTR to the mix and I’m perfectly happy with my garage.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:32 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 737Drvr
I'm late to the party here but I completely agree with what you have said. I drove the Carrera T and, although its a fine car, it left me wanting for power. I also didn't like the fact that the dash and door panels were the cheap Porsche plastic...but that's me. Call me spoiled, but at that price point I want the nice leather. The 992 does little for me, especially at 150 large. Too many other options in that price range. R8, GTR, GT3, etc.

I don't think I've heard a bad comment about the GTR. All owners seem to love them as DD. I was looking into one as well. Still like them--the engine is awesome. I think for a daily its a better choice than any GT Porsche. It's unique looking enough, is a blast to drive (as you said), is more comfortable, and has more room in the trunk. The GTR is what it says. It's a true Grand Touring car with a Jekyl/Hyde personality. Good luck in your hunt...that's almost half the fun isn't it?! Look forward to hearing more driving impressions.

PS - The R8 might be worth a look if they do anything for you. That V10, more room than a Huracan, and a widely praised DD. Just my .02.
Thank you. R8 is great but I think I’m settled on the GTR. It checked all the boxes for me.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:34 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carz80am
i was driving my gtr pro as a daily for a week, it was terrible for me. I ended up selling it and looking at 812/gt2rs. Lot of looks and performance is fine, but wasn’t ideal for me. I went back to a Range Rover svr.
i have not driven the Pro. I’m sure it’s great. I have a Range Rover as a daily now and have always had some sort of an SUV as a daily for the past dozen or so years. I’m just done with it. Want something more sporty and fun. Why limit that to evenings and weekends.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,687 Likes on 5,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
i have not driven the Pro. I’m sure it’s great. I have a Range Rover as a daily now and have always had some sort of an SUV as a daily for the past dozen or so years. I’m just done with it. Want something more sporty and fun. Why limit that to evenings and weekends.
The GT R is enough for a daily.

The Pro is just more track focused with lighter components, revised suspension and a bit more carbon fiber, but the engine is the same (Pro and R).

Old 12-01-2019, 02:05 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The GT R is enough for a daily.

The Pro is just more track focused with lighter components, revised suspension and a bit more carbon fiber, but the engine is the same (Pro and R).
and with a price tag to boot. You can’t get a loaded GTR for a very good price right now. Pro probably hasn’t gone through the depreciation curve just yet.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:13 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

and with a price tag to boot. You can’t get a loaded GTR for a very good price right now. Pro probably hasn’t gone through the depreciation curve just yet.
i got in/out of pro really well. Your right on depreciation curve as they are still hitting the dealerships, 6 months from now, they’ll probably be 150 as well but there are only 150 coming to us. I’ll be curious on you thoughts of the pista, I already sold it as well. I’m ordering a f8, I liked the way it drove.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

i got in/out of pro really well. Your right on depreciation curve as they are still hitting the dealerships, 6 months from now, they’ll probably be 150 as well but there are only 150 coming to us. I’ll be curious on you thoughts of the pista, I already sold it as well. I’m ordering a f8, I liked the way it drove.
you had a Pista and sold it for the F8??? I’m assuming cause you made money on it? First person I’ve heard that preferred the f8 to Pista. Similar cars but Pista much more rare.

mine is sitting in port. I’m hoping for delivery in next couple of weeks.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:29 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

you had a Pista and sold it for the F8??? I’m assuming cause you made money on it? First person I’ve heard that preferred the f8 to Pista. Similar cars but Pista much more rare.

mine is sitting in port. I’m hoping for delivery in next couple of weeks.
i didn’t sell pista just for f8. I sold the pista cause i knew I would never drive it and yes I did make money off of it. Pista isn’t that rare and I’m over keeping cars because they are rare, I want to drive them and put miles on them and that and the gtr pro weren’t doing it for me. I think the f8 I’ll drive more, looking at 812s right now as well.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:35 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

i didn’t sell pista just for f8. I sold the pista cause i knew I would never drive it and yes I did make money off of it. Pista isn’t that rare and I’m over keeping cars because they are rare, I want to drive them and put miles on them and that and the gtr pro weren’t doing it for me. I think the f8 I’ll drive more, looking at 812s right now as well.
Pista more rare than F8. 812 is a beast. Good luck on the hunt.
The following users liked this post:
carz80am (12-01-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 07:36 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

i was driving my gtr pro as a daily for a week, it was terrible for me. I ended up selling it and looking at 812/gt2rs. Lot of looks and performance is fine, but wasn’t ideal for me. I went back to a Range Rover svr.
That's a pretty (matte?) blue. What color is that?
Old 12-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FORENN
That's a pretty (matte?) blue. What color is that?
looks like a wrap. Agree looks good.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:09 PM
DenaMezger
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
The different perspectives are interesting, I found the T to be very underwhelming compared to something like the GTS - even in the looks department too. No need to tune a GTS and if you do, you'll add another 100HP. The GTS is much more flexible in terms of options as well. All round its a way better package than the T and is the true Jekyll and Hyde of the 991.2 line up.

Having said that any of the 991.2 Carreras are great cars - Porsche really did do a great job with the 9A2 twin turbo.
Some things can have significance without truly have significance. Example, a woman you date having pics of her EX BF pics up on her Social Media. It's just an app, but why would anyone have an Ex on her page? There's some significance there..

That being said, the GTS is like 1 second behind the GT3RS on the Ring in time. I don't put much meaning on "Ring Times", but that is a pretty glaring detail of the potential of the 991.2 GTS. The lap is up on youtube.
I really want a 991.2 GTS, but the pricing is close to GT3 territory.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,987 Likes on 2,819 Posts

Originally Posted by DenaMezger
That being said, the GTS is like 1 second behind the GT3RS on the Ring in time. I don't put much meaning on "Ring Times", but that is a pretty glaring detail of the potential of the 991.2 GTS. The lap is up on youtube.
That doesn't sound correct to me. I am guessing that the GTS lap is a Bridge to Gantry lap compared to the RS's Full lap (would be responsible for about a 20 second advantage to the GTS, if I am correct).

Either that or the GTS in question does not resemble a stock example. Or you are not referring to a recent GT3 RS.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:32 PM
DenaMezger
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My bad, I mean 6 seconds behind the 991.2 GT3.. The 991.2 GTS in stock form, pulled a 7:24 on the ring...
Again, Ring times are what they are, but within them you can see potential..
I'd love a .2 GTS but the price range puts them close to the GT3, granted the GTS is more useful in LA with the low end torque..
High revving machines are nothing more than trouble in this city with traffic and cops sitting on lawns hidden with radars.

One has to be honest with himself to see what type of driving they'll do in the city they reside in. Is it worth buying a GT car for back and forth freeway drives to work, and the occasional canyon run?
The GTS/Carrera T are more suited for that type of activity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eife_lap_times
Old 12-04-2019, 04:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,987 Likes on 2,819 Posts

Originally Posted by DenaMezger
My bad, I mean 6 seconds behind the 991.2 GT3.. The 991.2 GTS in stock form, pulled a 7:24 on the ring...
Sorry, you have bad info (or math) again. The 991.2 GT3 did 7:12 (it also on your list if you look at Lars Kern's lap of 7:12.7 in May 2017...)

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/prod...ime-13710.html

EDIT: I see where you got the 6 seconds now if you use the slower Sport Auto test for the GT3 (and the GTS was on special tires, but still slower than the GT3's Cup tires. When both cars are on their standard tires, the gap is larger and would be smaller if fitted on identical tires if they would fit).

In any case, the GTS is way slower than the .2 RS...

Quick Reply: Gt3 or Carrera T as a daily driver