Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gt3 or Carrera T as a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019 | 11:54 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
If you're going that route GTS everyday of the week (near GT3 performance/handling and you can make it as comfortable as you need and or require for DD duty)
agree with this
Old 11-21-2019 | 12:21 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Another thing to consider; it appears you have a bunch of FI cars already. Why not stay NA before one day they all disappear. I have a 2018 M3, I bought last Dec., that i use as a DD and love the car very much but jumping in to my .2 Manual on the weekends is just so rewarding and it comes down to all the reasons why we love NA. So- I would go NA/GT3 for your DD and your save your Turbo Toys for the weekends.
Old 11-21-2019 | 12:22 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Since I've driven GT cars, no other Porsche (actually, no other car period) really works for me. Except maybe a Cayman R. That was a very special car.
Old 11-21-2019 | 12:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Another thing to consider; it appears you have a bunch of FI cars already. Why not stay NA before one day they all disappear. I have a 2018 M3, I bought last Dec., that i use as a DD and love the car very much but jumping in to my .2 Manual on the weekends is just so rewarding and it comes down to all the reasons why we love NA. So- I would go NA/GT3 for your DD and your save your Turbo Toys for the weekends.
Personally I think NA is overrated, especially for a daily driver.
Old 11-21-2019 | 12:58 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Totally agree with that.
Old 11-21-2019 | 01:10 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

lots of great responses. lol. Appreciate all the input. lets see where I end up.

I think im leaning T cause I can drive it for a year and then get the 992 GT3 in the future.

knowing me, I ll have gone through 5 cars by then. lol
Old 11-21-2019 | 01:23 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

One thing that has me leaning T - I like bucket seats. Im not a fan of the wing on the GT3. If Im gonna get a wing, Id get an RS. Id love another Touring but trying to keep budget reasonable as I have my Pista incoming any day now.

Old 11-21-2019 | 01:28 PM
milaadf
Instructor

I am a huge fan of the T, I think anyone here would rather have a T and stack of 50k sitting on their coffee table if you are looking for a daily. Something special about being able to get buckets, manual, light weight glass and pull handles with the torque for under 100k. Yes the Gt3 will be always cool but not as cool for a daily assuming you have other high performance cars.
Old 11-21-2019 | 04:13 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
its basically that. just going back and forth from work. running to the golf course.

Buckets- I find them comfortable as I daily drove an RS for almost a year- no issues.
Power- again- not a concern. I have other cars that give me plenty of power

I figured save 50k and still have a fun car. Every person who has one says its one of the best Porsches but a couple of comments about turbo lag have me concerned. I wish I could find one locally to test drive. I hate the Porsche Turbo lag. its annoying as hell. My 488 and 720 spoiled me with lack of turbo lag.
There is lag. It's pretty easy to notice. It's only at lower RPM though. In the higher revs it bites and pulls almost like an NA engine. And as mentioned, it builds power in a very linear way. So it's lag you'd notice more in slower speed passing situations, as opposed to if driving at the track or at higher RPM. Something that may annoy you. The more used to a GT engine you are the more it will feel a little disconnected on that initial input of power, say less than 3-3.5k RPM.
Old 11-21-2019 | 04:23 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Depends on what you intend to as a daily driver.

I think for basically doing day-to-day duties like going from A to B, picking up groceries, running errands, etc. then I would vote for the T as the low-end torque is much more usable and a much better "performing" car in that respect.

Plus, it's more low key (no wing, looks like any other 911), and it gets better gas mileage and probably lower insurance rates.
x2

IMO the base 991.2 engine is a peach, very very little turbo lag with loads of usable and fun power for the street whereas pushing north of 7k RPM in the 4.0 on public roads was asking for trouble in my experience. It was one of the reasons I let my GT3 go because in everyday driving situations I wanted something more comfortable/less stiff/more fun

With the inbound Pista, being a more focused car, the T might be the better companion for a daily to the more popular choice of GT3. Conversely if you want the NA sound and experience, then the GT3 might be a nice contrast to Pista and the 720

Hard to go wrong either way, but with an open mind I found the 991.2 gen to be surprisingly good and even underrated. Ideally you can drive both back to back to compare as you'll appreciate the differences between the two to decide which one you would enjoy more for your daily
Old 11-21-2019 | 04:55 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Are there any major differences between an 18 or 19 T? The one that caught my eye is an 18 specced the way I want it but if there are major improvements in a 19, I’ll hunt for that.
Old 11-21-2019 | 05:06 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Is the spread really $50k? Would have expected it would be higher T to T(ouring).

One other thing to consider is I'd be more uptight about taking care of the GT3 than the T (parking lots, valet, etc). Can't go wrong either way and both are liquid markets so easy to flip w/o losing your ***.
Old 11-21-2019 | 05:12 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by signes
Is the spread really $50k? Would have expected it would be higher T to T(ouring).

One other thing to consider is I'd be more uptight about taking care of the GT3 than the T (parking lots, valet, etc). Can't go wrong either way and both are liquid markets so easy to flip w/o losing your ***.
T to Touring is higher than 50k. I was referring to T to a winged GT3. It’s about 50k.

Again- it’s not really the cost that has me hot and bothered as fortunately I can do either but do I want to? To your point about parking lots and potholes. A “beater” T I wouldn’t worry as much about.
Old 11-21-2019 | 05:25 PM
josephvman
Racer

I’ve driven a 911T, have a .2 GT3, and had a GT4. I’d much rather have a GT4 as a daily than a 911T. Far more engaging to drive in every way. The dual trunks are actually far more useful for daily use than any 911 as well. Less money than a 911T and probably better resale over time. Downside is 2 seats, less ground clearance and a little more firm than the T ( but less so than a GT3).

Last edited by josephvman; 11-21-2019 at 07:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hellboy_mcqueen (11-22-2019)
Old 11-21-2019 | 05:43 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Default GT3 or Carrera T?

Originally Posted by FORENN
I've owned both cars. The problem with the T is that every time I was in it, I wished I were in my GT3. The difference in the sound alone is enormous, not to mention the styling, power, redline, and on and on it goes. I ended up selling my T, it just felt too pedestrian compared to my GT3.
I own both a .2 GT3 and a .2 Targa 4 GTS right now. My inputs:

I know it sounds silly but it's a lot like buying an airplane. Where are you flying? How many people? Turbo prop or Jet? Need to get up high to go over storms or don't mind flying low? The core missions you fly relate a lot to the happiness / appropriateness of what you buy in terms of aircraft.
I have the same questions for you re: where you drive now and where do you want to drive your car.

If you:

+ Have a lot of nice / smooth / long / uncrowded streets
+ Want your blood pressure and BPM raised when you drive
+ Like the sounds of a near F1 experience
+ Might someday want to track your car
+ Don't mind a firmer / often bumpy ride

Get the GT3...

If you:

+ have mainly crappy / short / less smooth / mostly crowded streets
+ want nice pull / torque at all speeds
+ nice enough engine sounds (especially with Sport Cats)
+ the ability to later mod the car (larger turbos etc) to mimic 911 Turbo performance
+ want a more supple ride under all conditions

Get a GTS or a T.

I liked both cars so much I basically said BLEEP IT and bought both. Wife wasn't happy but she got over it. They are very very different though.
The following 4 users liked this post by SB27:
Porsche911GTS'16 (11-22-2019), sampelligrino (11-21-2019), Sarawnty (11-22-2019), Therosser77 (11-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Gt3 or Carrera T as a daily driver